Opteron? More like OpterOWN.

Thuleman said:
Theoretical question: If I had a local computer shop, which has access to a distributer which only deals in AMD chips. If that local shop had a minimum order requirement of what translates to 12 CPUs (any kind) from that AMD direct distributer, and IF that AMD direct distributer had 144 S939 in stock. Would you go ahead and get 12 of those for $177 each and then try and move them?

yea. if you got the capitol right now, do supn for us S939 alliance fanatics. get em, move em right here. i know i'd be down. and since its only 12 once you had the forntage money to do it im sure you'd get em of your hands in a month, maybe less

hm. so this is definitely better than a venice, right? but they're out of stock everywhere. if i was able to find someone who worked for AMD, can their employees buy these direct? and do AMD employees get a discount?

robberbaron said:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=40685
939 Opteron, XP-90C, etc etc.
I need a new power supply. It almost finishes SuperPI at this speed, but the computer restarts due to the strain on my 420W PSU from the 7800GTX and high speed/power Opteron. I did manage to get 98,242 in AM3 and a healthy 1M score.

Going to try a PCI video card to see if my PSU is really overloaded. An update will arrive tomorrow night.
wow nice one :D

It just occurred to me.. what if the reason these chips are named opteron is because they can run all 4 dimms at full timings? It would make sense to put out your server chip with better compatibility and speed...

Any testers?

It just occurred to me.. what if the reason these chips are named opteron is because they can run all 4 dimms at full timings? It would make sense to put out your server chip with better compatibility and speed...

I have 4 DIMMs and I just PM'ed Vandi about getting one of these 144's. If nobody else does this in the meantime I'd be happy to post my results with 2 vs. 4 DIMMs when I get it.

o good god, if the opty's memory controllers are better than the a64's and can run 4 dimms at full timings... i think im gonna need to change my pants. someone go test this quickly, itd solve all my problems about looking for a sale on 1gb sticks of ram, cuz 512 sticks go on sale so much more often, and a 1gb stick on "sale" with rebates in a retail store is still like $100. for some random brand i've never heard of.

Fresh Daemon said:
I have 4 DIMMs and I just PM'ed Vandi about getting one of these 144's. If nobody else does this in the meantime I'd be happy to post my results with 2 vs. 4 DIMMs when I get it.

That would be great, thx.

No problem. If this thing could run 4 DIMMs at 1T that would be incredible. I'm very skeptical that it could, but I got lucky on value RAM and I have 4 512MB's that will run 250MHz at 2.5-3-3-6 - which is great considering what I paid for them!

Fresh Daemon said:
No problem. If this thing could run 4 DIMMs at 1T that would be incredible. I'm very skeptical that it could, but I got lucky on value RAM and I have 4 512MB's that will run 250MHz at 2.5-3-3-6 - which is great considering what I paid for them!
Isn't the problem not so much that you have four DIMMs, but four double-sided DIMMs? I thought the revE stuff could run four single-sided modules at 200 1T. Or did I read wrong somewhere?

you lucky bum. eclipse or robberbaron or someone else that already has a opteron needs to test it, im too impatient :mad:

also, does anyone know if a amd employee would be able to order one directly from the company? they should be able to, right?

Isn't the problem not so much that you have four DIMMs, but four double-sided DIMMs? I thought the revE stuff could run four single-sided modules at 200 1T. Or did I read wrong somewhere?

Yeah, maybe, but finding single-sided 512MB DIMMs is as hard (and as expensive) as just getting good-overclocking 1GB DIMMs!

Soymilk said:
you lucky bum. eclipse or robberbaron or someone else that already has a opteron needs to test it, im too impatient :mad:
i'll have access ro 4 double sided sticks later this week, stay tuned :D

Fresh Daemon said:
Yeah, maybe, but finding single-sided 512MB DIMMs is as hard (and as expensive) as just getting good-overclocking 1GB DIMMs!
almost correct.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146541
those are single sided 512mb sticks :D

I knew if waited long enough, I would score a godly s939 overclocker ; ) So, how much *should* a 146 go for? I found somewhere with one.... And I am thinking about grabbing a few.

Second question, I have been out of the loop a bit, I know the X2's do multitasking allot better. But my extent of multi tasking would be winamp, CS:S, and firefox in the backgroud with a DL going. So is that more then a opertron is good for? Or do I not need a X2.

And just for the record, whoever first found this proc and tested it, I LOVE YOU MAN (I sure hope that is only the vodka talking :cool: )

***EDIT I just checked again, I got 4 sticks of Gskill tccd, and wanted to run em all, so if that can run them all at good timings, I too shall wet myself after I get this proc!***

N H O said:
damn that hoe musta ran warm :p and err...wats the rest of ur set up? (ie. mobo, ram, heatsink. etc)

DFI ultra-d nf4
crucial ballistix 4000 2gb
watercooling as always heh

TheDarkTao said:
I knew if waited long enough, I would score a godly s939 overclocker ; ) So, how much *should* a 146 go for? I found somewhere with one.... And I am thinking about grabbing a few.

Second question, I have been out of the loop a bit, I know the X2's do multitasking allot better. But my extent of multi tasking would be winamp, CS:S, and firefox in the backgroud with a DL going. So is that more then a opertron is good for? Or do I not need a X2.
amd pricing guide says $183, but that's for the oem chips in 1Ku, i would expect around 200-230 for the 146 in retail
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_609,00.html?redir=CPT301

for your description of "multitasking", dual core would be fun, but useless

Straight to the point and knowledge with proof to back it up. God eclipse, I want you to go into politics :) RAwk the system (cf)Eclipse for prez! :cool:

As always, you, sir, are [H]ard!

GilmourD said:

yes, it's doublesided that's the prob. And rev E can run 4 double sided at 200 2T,

TheDarkTao said:
Straight to the point and knowledge with proof to back it up.
i try :D

russ, as mentioned earlier, i will try to have some fun with 4 double sided sticks later. the problem: two = 512mb crucial ballistix, two = ocz pc3200 GX
one's micron, the other is bh-utt. i'll have to do some playing to see how the utt overclocks first :D

Russ said:
yes, it's doublesided that's the prob. And rev E can run 4 double sided at 200 2T,
What can a RevE do with 4 single sided? 200 1T or 2T?

(cf)Eclipse said:
i try :D

russ, as mentioned earlier, i will try to have some fun with 4 double sided sticks later. the problem: two = 512mb crucial ballistix, two = ocz pc3200 GX
one's micron, the other is bh-utt. i'll have to do some playing to see how the utt overclocks first :D
that should hardly be a problem, since ur such a whore for crucial you wouldn't blink twice at buying a couple more sticks of ballistix :p

more ballistix would be fun. i'd like to try out the ddr2-1000 sticks, but i have no ddr2 rig :(

YmkFX said:
355.7!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

You sir are most very [H].
who is this referring to, and what? ;)

GilmourD said:
What can a RevE do with 4 single sided? 200 1T or 2T?
there is no indication in amd's tech docs that it was ever changed to this, but it's supposed to be 200mhz at 1T with 4xSS

how much does vandi charge for a opty 144 retail? i really want one of these now...

he can't get any more 144's for the time being. start looking around for one ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
he can't get any more 144's for the time being. start looking around for one ;)

Perhaps a good question would be where and why you two got one?

I wouldn't be surprised with a more conservative binning for opterons since it is server class chip. Perhaps even a flatter IHS.

(cf)Eclipse said:

Have you tried overclocking this chip on either a MSI K8N Neo2 PE or another NF3 board (I assume NF3's are generally the same in terms of overclockability)?

If so, what are your max clocks?

DarkenReaper57 said:
Have you tried overclocking this chip on either a MSI K8N Neo2 PE or another NF3 board (I assume NF3's are generally the same in terms of overclockability)?

If so, what are your max clocks?
heh, i don't have that much hardware :p
it should work just fine though.

I'm getting one of those sexy little 144s in about a week, but I have a question...will current BIOS settings for most boards support it? I'd hate to get my 939 / PCIe system together, drop the Op in it and find out it doesn't work with my mobo. I'm getting an ABIT KN8 SLI board, does anyone know if these will work together?

nobody that i have seen has tried it yet.. so there's one way to find out. i'm not expecting any issues though.

also, the corners of the IHS are filed off, like you see on the FX's. these things got some love ;)

edit: how come my reply is above the post i'm replying to? :confused:

Get that IHS off!!!!

It might not do much. Apparently AMD makes sure the Opterons, FX's and other premier chips have better IHS interfaces than others - the contact is better and the IHS is flatter and better-finished. This is just what I've heard. On XS, people are saying that pulling the IHS off an Opteron only gets about 2-3C difference, which is a lot less than you see on a Venice/Winchester/etc.

Back