Opteron? More like OpterOWN.

Volkum said:
I'm hopefully getting a pair of 240s (1.4) soon. How do you guys think those will do OC wise (or would I have to provide steppings and such to get a decent estimate)?

That really depends on the Motherboard and RAM you get.

Those 240's will require Registred RAM and that doesn't usually come with too tight of timings or offer much for OCin'. Registred DIMMS are all about stability.

Also, many Dual Proc Boards don't offer a whole lot in the way of OCin' in the BIOS. They are made for workstation and server use. So stability is the key factor.

I have a Dual 246 machine at work that I built using a Tyan board. I've never tried OCin' it and from looking at the BIOS, I doubt I could very much. The RAM I use is OCZ ECC DDR400. The timings are 3-3-3-8.

You should be able to get some OC with the 240's, but I wouldn't bet on hitting anything like 2.8Ghz.

Santos L. Halper said:
That really depends on the Motherboard and RAM you get.

Those 240's will require Registred RAM and that doesn't usually come with too tight of timings or offer much for OCin'. Registred DIMMS are all about stability.

Also, many Dual Proc Boards don't offer a whole lot in the way of OCin' in the BIOS. They are made for workstation and server use. So stability is the key factor.

I have a Dual 246 machine at work that I built using a Tyan board. I've never tried OCin' it and from looking at the BIOS, I doubt I could very much. The RAM I use is OCZ ECC DDR400. The timings are 3-3-3-8.

You should be able to get some OC with the 240's, but I wouldn't bet on hitting anything like 2.8Ghz.

I was looking at getting the Asus K8N-DL and it appears that the bios will let you OC (a little)

And I was looking at getting some Patriot PC3200 2-3-2-5 ECC/Registered

If you guys have any comments/suggestions, they're welcome.

Tha_Godfather said:
i wuz on this other forum and this guy post one bout his AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego
and his multiplier was 14 core speed 3814.55 ...so i gues the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 will kill the Opteron ? :confused:

Right, but these cost $150, and that costs $1200.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe said:
Right, but these cost $150, and that costs $1200.

THANKSSSS.....anyone from the san jose area? that knows a local cpu store dat has cpu accessories...i jus recently moved here and doesnt kno much....

can someone explain 2 me what L1 Cache and L2 Cache is...and whats Cache?also what does HTT stand for... HyperTransport Technology?

the higher the voltage the better?

I kno I kno i got 21 questions....

Tha_Godfather said:
THANKSSSS.....anyone from the san jose area? that knows a local cpu store dat has cpu accessories...i jus recently moved here and doesnt kno much....

can someone explain 2 me what L1 Cache and L2 Cache is...and whats Cache?also what does HTT stand for... HyperTransport Technology?

the higher the voltage the better?

I kno I kno i got 21 questions....
L1 is a very small amount of hyper fast memory to store data actually being processed.
L2 is a larger amount of very very fast memory to store data about to be processed.

Lower voltage = cooler
Chip looks for a certain voltage to show as a 1, the change isn't instantanious, so a higher voltage speeds up when the trigger voltage is reached. More voltage lets you overclock faster, until the chip burns up from too much anyway.

htt is used interchangably with fsb, or fsb/htt if you want to be more specific (i think thats what you're referring to) if i'm right about what ur referring to, then its this speed * processor's multiplier = processor speed. for example, the opty 144 or a venice 3000+ has a 9x multiplier, at stock the fsb/htt is 200, so they run at 1.8ghz stock. if you were to up it to say 300 (ignoring the tweaks and stuff with ram etc), then they'd run at 2.7ghz (300 * 9)

higher voltage up to a point (around ~1.55V i think?) will make the processor be able to go to higher speeds stably, but its not necessarily higher = better. higher voltage generates more heat, and also when you start getting too high (not sure around where that point is) your processor's life span will decrease.

L1 and L2 cache... im not entirely sure, i think its something like onboard RAM for the processor, so its faster since its right there than the normal RAM? dont quote me on this. but more = better for the cache.

so your CHIP or your mobo can burn ...hwo rare is that or is it not rare at all? :( sounds dangerous. :eek: ..anyone from the San Jose area that knows cpu stores around here? that sells CPu equipments ...im not talkin bout Best Buy or Circuit CIty

burn meaning overheat and *possibly* be damaged. P4s will shutoff before that happens, I dont *think* that A64s have that feature.
CPU equipments?

i think a64's do too. otherwise its something built into the shuttle, cuz my brother has a sn95g5 or whatever its called, and his power lead to the fan in back died without him noticing, so it shut itself off. he has a a64 3000+, btw. not sure what core, its s939 and not venice.

Tha_Godfather said:
so your CHIP or your mobo can burn ...hwo rare is that or is it not rare at all? :( sounds dangerous. :eek: ..anyone from the San Jose area that knows cpu stores around here? that sells CPu equipments ...im not talkin bout Best Buy or Circuit CIty

Local prices generally blow compared to online stores such as www.newegg.com

Just read up around here, read the stickies, and use the search function, you'll find all of your answers and much more. [/Threadjack]

GLSauron said:
burn meaning overheat and *possibly* be damaged. P4s will shutoff before that happens, I dont *think* that A64s have that feature.
CPU equipments?

Every cpu that I can think of in the last 10 yrs has had this feature. Ever since the P-90 - 133 having heatsinks and possibly fans on them have a thermal protection circuit. Just like American Express...."Don't leave home without it!"

Talonz said:
Local prices generally blow compared to online stores such as www.newegg.com

Just read up around here, read the stickies, and use the search function, you'll find all of your answers and much more. [/Threadjack]
but u cant use the 5 finger discount at an online store! (if ur that kind of person) i admit itd probably b pretty hard to lift some computer parts tho, maybe oem pieces? ok enough of this train of thought.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Every cpu that I can think of in the last 10 yrs has had this feature. Ever since the P-90 - 133 having heatsinks and possibly fans on them have a thermal protection circuit. Just like American Express...."Don't leave home without it!"

AMD didnt have it until Palomino IIRC.

BillR said:
AMD is most certainly and “enthusiast’s” company can’t argue that. However after seeing this chip I have visions of the AMD crew reading the forums, giggling softly and deciding when to let the next cat out of the bag.

This usually happens right after some silly thread like “AMD has nowhere to go” or something along those lines. ;) :D

I'm glad you reminded me of that Bill!! Especially that heated thread last month about the very same thing. AMD is in a position that they don't have to "make promises for the future", but of course they certainly have an internal roadmap of bigger, better things. These new Optis are just a glimmer of great things to come.

BTW: Baron & Eclipse, congrats on getting these new chips and pushing them for all they're/your worth. It's definatley the enthusiasts/[H] members who generate interest in amd chips; and those of us who do off-handedly mention "I just OC'd my $140 low-end chip to $1100 extreme overkill levels" that raise a few eyebrows and make new customers for life.

I totally agree that AMD is an enthusiast company. With their unlocked multis and goofy speed-binning, they are for sure geared towards this market. Of course, it's the only market they seem to survive in, until as of late.

I'm building 4 new boxes for my boss. I was going to go for some semprons, but if I can get my hands on these optis in the next 5 days (doubtfu) I'll get them instead. I'd love to oc the crap out of them and borg them for folding (already have permission :) ) I wouldn't mind having one myself to throw under some good watercooling loving....3.1ghz might be possible.

SpoogeMonkey said:
I'm building 4 new boxes for my boss. I was going to go for some semprons, but if I can get my hands on these optis in the next 5 days (doubtfu) I'll get them instead. I'd love to oc the crap out of them and borg them for folding (already have permission :) ) I wouldn't mind having one myself to throw under some good watercooling loving....3.1ghz might be possible.

939opterons1fb.jpg

The guy I got mine from showed me this picture. I LOL'ed! He shipped 25 out to people today.

so uhm if he shiping a bunch of em, i'd love to pay him to ship one to meeeeeeeeeee

headless said:
Yeh no kidding. He could've shipped out about 50 today it looks like. Oh well.
nah, the supplier he seems to work for ran out of 144's cause he ordered them all.

(cf)Eclipse said:
nah, the supplier he seems to work for ran out of 144's cause he ordered them all.

I wonder if they have any 146's they'd be willing to sell... What's with the secrecy?

headless said:
I wonder if they have any 146's they'd be willing to sell... What's with the secrecy?
Anytime you are dealing with a not readily available product, and a "contact" within the company or something supplying parts, there will be some secrecy.

Basically it comes down to this, if a company is an AMD exclusive distributor, then you can get some of these chips from them. Most distributors make it their business to sell everyone's stuff, and those companies (like Ingram) don't have access to these latest chips yet.

jebo_4jc said:
Anytime you are dealing with a not readily available product, and a "contact" within the company or something supplying parts, there will be some secrecy.

I'm confused as to why this is the case. If there are 146's there to be sold why keep who has them a secret? Nobody else has bought them if they are sitting there available...why keep who is selling them a secret unless to get more CPU's to yourself? And why keep them to yourself unless you're planning on reselling them for profit or some such?

The distributor makes more sales and more people get CPU's. Win-Win. What am i missing? Is there some kind of AMD law that says they can't sell these yet or something? Or is it simply a case of greed on the part of the fellow re-selling these for a profit ?

DangerIsGo said:
robberbarron, was that the LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR or the LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR?
Baron is on the same board as me, the LanParty UT nF4 SLi-DR.

Holy freaking crap - I was contemplating a 3500+ Venice as an upgrade from my 3000+ Winchester but then I saw this...

Definitely waiting until I can find one of these. Been out of the loop for a while but it seems I came back at an opportune time.

Jeez 3.0+ GHz on air?! /sexy

you can coax 3ghz on air but you will have to do a cpu burn in likely. out the box my 146 did 280 1:1 spi8m stable stock volts

asianguy80 said:
you can coax 3ghz on air but you will have to do a cpu burn in likely. out the box my 146 did 280 1:1 spi8m stable stock volts
i do hope you mean 2.8ghz, as that 280 could be at any cpu multiplier ;)

9mmx19 said:
Holy freaking crap - I was contemplating a 3500+ Venice as an upgrade from my 3000+ Winchester but then I saw this...

Definitely waiting until I can find one of these. Been out of the loop for a while but it seems I came back at an opportune time.

Jeez 3.0+ GHz on air?! /sexy
Not just 3.0ghz....3.0 w/1MB cache
drool.gif

(cf)Eclipse said:
i do hope you mean 2.8ghz, as that 280 could be at any cpu multiplier ;)

im assumming he mean 280 with his highest multiplyer... 10x on the 146 correct? so yea 2.8Ghz with 280Ht

Hmmmm, This Opti is very impressive indeed. Seems like you can't go wrong on either one you choose. 144 or 146. This 3k+ is out of my comp!!!
Why is AMD bringing Opti's to 939 anyway? I'm glad but just curious.

Speaking on a "server" basis...

I know ECC ram isn't for OC'in but I saw a guy on NEWEGG state the he did 285 on ECC Crucial. I know Ballisitx' are sooo cheap now but I just found interesting..... :D

i think this was discussed somewhere in the previous 10 pages, but u probably wouldnt want to dig through it.

the reason given was that this way, a server computer or workstation based on the opteron processor would be cheaper to make, because w/ s939, it doesn't require ECC ram (which costs a lot, duh). also, theres a wider range of readily compatible s939 boards already on the market for every need there is, pretty much.

Soymilk said:
the reason given was that this way, a server computer or workstation based on the opteron processor would be cheaper to make, because w/ s939, it doesn't require ECC ram (which costs a lot, duh). also, theres a wider range of readily compatible s939 boards already on the market for every need there is, pretty much.
actually, it's buffered/registered ram that causes the problems. s754 and s939 support ecc. whether it can be enabled it up to the mobo in question ;)
other than that, you are correct :cool:

So why not just use a Althlon64 SD core? or FX chip? in your server.. I mean if there no diffrence between the OP s939 and the desktop CPUs

Makes me wonder if we will see low end 1mb cache desktop CPUs..

like a 3200+ s939 Althlon 64 (1.8Ghz, 1mb cache, s939)

939 Opteron's, Venus', are more geared for server/workstation setups and probably weren't meant for desktops like we are using them for. They are meant to be marketed towards server/workstations. Imagine if the Czeck guy didn't find out, or if no one found out, about the 939 Opteron's where would be now? Opteron's use better silicon and go through more vigorous testing. FX cores would proabably cost too much to be put into servers albeit they are the best silicon from AMD.

I doubt that low end L2 1MB desktop cpu's would appear as that would kill the sales of all 3000/3200 series 939 chips.

I was going to buy a 4000+ for my upcoming gaming rig. Do you recommend getting this CPU instead? With the saved money I can get a GTX instead of GT or get better DDR1 (like Ballistix instead of "value")

What do you recommend please. Also do I need extensive knowledge of OC'ing? I have never done OC on AMD (only Celeron 300A!)

Thanks!

Back