Opteron? More like OpterOWN.

I guess upgrading to 4x512 of BH-5 is out of the question if I want to have a lot of leeway when overclocking then...

guys, remember.. my cpu is one of a bunch. i know the memory controller has issues, so take my results as like a worst case scenario ;)

Just got Opteron 148 CABYE 0536GPMW
Is this any good for overclocking?
What kinda of O/C can I expect on air?
I have a thermaltake 120 with a YS-Tech 120mm fan.

Thanks.

Waterboy said:
Opteron 146

Just placed my order. Hopefully I will get a good one.

I called them up an hour ago. It says in stock but they don't have any.
The next shipment they're getting are already "allocated" too so if you order now, might be a while to wait.

morpheus9394 said:
Just got Opteron 148 CABYE 0536GPMW
Is this any good for overclocking?
What kinda of O/C can I expect on air?
considering that this is the "new" thing and there isn't really a database with oc'ing results yet.. why don't you tell us how it clocks since you have one? ;)

I plan to build beast as soon as the missus has gone to bed so I get some peace and quiet.
I just wanted to know what results other people have got.
I don't want to spend hours testing and changing settings.
I just want to get to a stable overclock so I can get back to playing F.E.A.R but at MAX settings :D

well.. the CABYE's seem to vary a lot, thus why i said what i did. finding the max at stock voltage shouldn't take more than an hour or so :cool:

Stereophile said:
I called them up an hour ago. It says in stock but they don't have any.
The next shipment they're getting are already "allocated" too so if you order now, might be a while to wait.

I just called them too. They said my order will go out tomorrow (wednesday) :) . Hopefully I'll get it by Friday and have the whole weekend to play with it.

Waterboy said:
I just called them too. They said my order will go out tomorrow (wednesday) :) . Hopefully I'll get it by Friday and have the whole weekend to play with it.

Had you already ordered before ? I just called and they said they were out even though the website says it's in. Got the run around about their inventory system, they said there was an outstanding 100 piece allocation that hadn't gone through that's why it still said in stock but that they didn't have any... Asked when they were getting more and was told the next shipment has already been sold too. Told me to call tommorow to find out when more was coming after that. :confused:

Stereophile said:
Had you already ordered before ? I just called and they said they were out even though the website says it's in. Got the run around about their inventory system, they said there was an outstanding 100 piece allocation that hadn't gone through that's why it still said in stock but that they didn't have any... Asked when they were getting more and was told the next shipment has already been sold too. Told me to call tommorow to find out when more was coming after that. :confused:

I placed my order yesterday. I guess I was the luck few to be able to grab one. Now hopes it will oc to at least 2.8ghz. Also, I am hoping it will work on my A8N premium. So far, I have not seen anyone using the Opteron on an Asus board yet. :( All seems to be working on a DFI.

You were lucky. I saw some retail 146 on there yesterday and almost ordered but wanted to be sure it was 939 and really in stock so called on the phone but it was after hours. So I called first thing this morning and they were out. I managed to pick up a 148 CABNE but would have loved to get the lower price 146. I'm sure it will do well. I need a new 939 board and was thinking of the DFI but they seem really picky on what they will work with.

Well I finally got the machine stable after over 8hrs of messing about.
I have got a FSB of 250 @ 11 multiplier.
I also have 4 sticks corsair of DDR, 2X512 twinx 3200LL and 2x512 xms3200C2PT.
My memory is setting to Auto for all settings, giving me a clock of 333mhz a 2.5CAS.
I am also running at 2T.
I have increased the DDR voltage to 2.7v and the AGP to 1.6v and the CPU to 1.50v.

Is there anything else I need to change or adjust to help improve stability and increase the overclock?

Sorry if these a silly questions but I have had an Abit Intel for years so I don't know my way around the AMD bios yet.

Thanks.

(cf)Eclipse said:
morpheus, you read my a64 oc'ing guide? :D

;) I have now......

A quick question please. What is better performance wise? A higher CPU clock speed with a the DDR running with a divider or a lower CPU clock but with RAM running at 1:1?

I know I should just mess around with the settings and benchmark and work it out for myself, but I pull an all nighter trying to get the bloody PC stable and I don't think I am stomach too much (plus the missus will stir fry my balls if I spend too much time on my PC)
Plus I just want to get back to playing F.E.A.R.

Anyway thanks for the advice and help.

morpheus9394 said:
;) I have now......

A quick question please. What is better performance wise? A higher CPU clock speed with a the DDR running with a divider or a lower CPU clock but with RAM running at 1:1?

I know I should just mess around with the settings and benchmark and work it out for myself, but I pull an all nighter trying to get the bloody PC stable and I don't think I am stomach too much (plus the missus will stir fry my balls if I spend too much time on my PC)
Plus I just want to get back to playing F.E.A.R.

Anyway thanks for the advice and help.

Higher clock for sure! a64s dont really need memory speed.

CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING CPU mhz is KING

and once more for good measure:
CPU mhz is KING

Thanks guys.
I will have a little play tonight and hope my balls stay attached to my body.
I might have to sneak out of bed in the middle of the night :)

its called a backhand dude... but then again, im no married so i dont really know

Spent some time on the PC last night and having got a very stable 2750mhz clock (up from 2200mhz) using a 250mhz FSB.
I could probably go higher but I got that overclock without changing any of the voltages.
I am certain my memory is the limit factor as I have problems going above 250 on my P4 system with the same memory.
I might change the memory to 2x1GB. What would you guys recommend?

Why am I not surprised. Everyone is saying that intel is really behind the amd-ball for awhile, may be until late next year.....
Guess my next upgrade next year will be a dual opteron or whatever beast AMD releases that overclock like crazy...

(cf)Eclipse said:
haha, go dual 275's :D

No shit, man! The paxville gets slaughtered, no matter from what side you look at it! Man, I would've expected something that wasn't in the "50% of an Opteron" category for most of the time - and I'm definitely NOT talking about power consuption here! :eek:

How far away was Intels major core overhaul again?

Stereophile said:
You were lucky. I saw some retail 146 on there yesterday and almost ordered but wanted to be sure it was 939 and really in stock so called on the phone but it was after hours. So I called first thing this morning and they were out. I managed to pick up a 148 CABNE but would have loved to get the lower price 146. I'm sure it will do well. I need a new 939 board and was thinking of the DFI but they seem really picky on what they will work with.

Well, I guess I am not that lucky after all. Just called them again to see where my order is at, because I still have not see the status change. The guy claimed his system is down and can't look up anything right now. Damn it, either you have it or you don't. Just tell me the freaking truth so I can go somewhere else. It's not rocket science.

Waterboy said:
The guy claimed his system is down and can't look up anything right now.
:( :rolleyes:

sorry to hear that man. i'd call em like twice a day, politely asking what's going on. they'll get the hint eventually

since this is the opterown thread... i have some good news for later ;)

i think i'm gonna make a thread in the oc'ing forum in a few. be sure to check it out ;)

Managed to spend alot more time with my new baby 148 last night.
I am currently running at 255fsb with ram at 166(333) with timings of 2-3-3-7 2T
Voltages are 1.5v for CPU, 2.7v for DDR and 1.6 for AGP.
Temps are 45c under heavy load.
PC is very stable, was able to run Prime95 for 12hrs with no errors.
I did manage to get the FSB to 265 by reducing the DDR clock to 133mhz and loosening the timings but it was not very stable.
I am VERY happy with a 600mhz overclock and the PC is flying, especially compared to my 2.8gb P4. And the timings are pretty good considering the 4 sticks are not the same. (two are 3200LL and the other two are XMS3200C2PT)
My memory is definately holding my overclock back though. I think I could probably hit 3gb with 2x1gb sticks instead of my current 4x512mb but I can't afford the £250+ it will cost me to get some Crucial Ballistic RAM, especially after spending £300 on the new MB and CPU and spending £300 on XBOX360 next month.
If my missus knew how much I spent on all this stuff.................. :eek:

Thanks all your help and advice.

Colin

hm, well you can probably bump voltage up a bit higher if you wanted.

here's how my 146 is doing so far. having strange issues with the memory controller, but the core is rock solid when i run small fft's
1_68.png

I have a Opty 146 on the way are these Overclocks stable for Gaming at all :D I play alot of FPS Games and want an OC that I can use for Gaming , it does not have to be that High, but I would love to have Great Speed on the CPU without Lockups.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hm, well you can probably bump voltage up a bit higher if you wanted.

here's how my 146 is doing so far. having strange issues with the memory controller, but the core is rock solid when i run small fft's
1_68.png

What cooling do you have, your temps are nice and low.

Back