Planar PX2611W 26"

Also, if both are the same exact "panels" -- assuming that means the screen itself, why does NEC measure it as 25.5" while Planar claims 26"?

Well, we know one is listed incorrectly because ToastyX's pics show they are both identical size. It could be based on the panel manufacturer's measurement, or intended usable area. Maybe Toasty will pull out a measuring tape and measure both of them to see which measurement is accurate. :)

But notice even though NEC says it's 25.5" they still put "26" in their model number. :D

OK, I took the plunge.... My current ViewSonic G220fb has been always a POS, and now is getting me angry (my laser printer gives me more, better details in photographs than this monitor is...)...

I ordered the PX2611W from CDW (down to $982.06), and will PICK IT UP tomorrow from their warehouse, half-hour away....

BOTTOM LINE?...I figured this could be a good compromise between the $700 24" (was thinking of BenQ) I originally was planning to get, and the $1,600 NEC 2690... Hope I'm doing the right thing...

Will be back reporting... Though it will not be as professional, and might take me a few days... Of course, now I need to purchased the calibration system also.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!

Keep us apprised, I have to wait until August 3rd to order mine, so that will give me enough time to see a few more reviews before I hit zero hour and finally fork over my dough. :)

OK, so before getting my calibration system (tomorrowm waiting for me at the CDW warehouse), does it need to KNOW the monitor to do the job? Or can it calibrate ANY monitor, even a brand new model?

Which of the 2 would you suggest, Spyder 2 or Eye-One Display 2, both just under $200. I tend to go for the second one and that's what I ordered for now (can still cancel it easy)... Thanks!

OK, so before getting my calibration system (tomorrowm waiting for me at the CDW warehouse), does it need to KNOW the monitor to do the job? Or can it calibrate ANY monitor, even a brand new model?

afaik, all the systems with sensors require is software that knows it's colors. It basically just looks at a part of the monitor and determines if the white is white, etc and adjusts it accordingly.

You could calibrate your forehead with it if you installed a backlight on your face and figured out how to change it colors. :D

700 dollars cannot account for color correction. if anyone was an electrical engineer on here, id like to know how much those parts would cost. hows that sphincter?

700 dollars cannot account for color correction. if anyone was an electrical engineer on here, id like to know how much those parts would cost. hows that sphincter?

Yeah I tend to agree.. Maybe $50.. but then I guess since there isn't much competition for the high end, and what there already is is really expensive, they just price it accordingly.. Dammit. lol. But I know, as long as there are no major defects when I get it, I will enjoy the Planar, even if I can't do any uber hardware calibration. :)

It's just nerve wracking for me, because I still don't fully trust the technology, and a thousand dollars is a shitload of money! But the brightness issue of the FW900 is starting to rear it's ugly head again.. I don't feel like trying to hook that windas cable up and mess around with it anymore. I'll just use it as a backup in case the LCD goes tits-up. :D

see? someone does at least agree with me for once on a forum. yeah, 50 dollars at most. If you think about it, probably less. I bet it was REMOVED from planar, and it cost more money to do that. keeps price protection. Not that NEC doesnt deserve to charge for it, but it just makes us all cheapo geeks nervous about getting the big planar 26 and not knowing if its worth the 1k dollars.

im looking into financing it. anyone know of a longer than 6 month no interest financing on comp products? dell has 3 months which is pathetic. my own store we have 12 month and it only costs us from 0.95% of the sale up to 3.5% of the sale. American express charges 3.5% and extra hidden fees here and there. I duno why these comp companies cant get a better finance deal. anyways... any suggestions? I just dont want to lay out the grand all in one shot ya know?

just get a new card with 6 month 0% or a newegg preferred account which is the same thing.

Just remember to pay it off in time :p

yeah 6 months means 5 months. the end of the sixth month bills you for the interest. 5 months =220 a month, not worth it. 12 months is cake :) (which is 11 months)

LittleMeEgo said:
Do you have a graph also of the gamut of the NEC please?
nec-planar-gamut.png

NEC on the left.
Planar on the right.

They're basically the same.

MasterTactician said:
ToastyX, could I trouble you to take a few photos of the PS3 in 1:1 and Full modes? Also, did you try testing the scaling through VGA (xbox 360), and if so, could you post some pics of that too?
Click the images for full size.

1:1 at 1080p:

Full at 1080p:

Bars can't be set to fully black:

1:1 at 1080p has banding:

Full at 1080p doesn't have banding:

1:1 is done properly. I checked with a checkerboard pixel pattern. The only problem is there's banding.

I don't have an Xbox, and I haven't tested VGA.

why the hell does only 1:1 have banding, I dont understand.
ToastyX what source are you using to test this.

Got it this morning.... Before getting to my car to drive to CDW's warehouse, I was still contemplating taking the safe rout, canceling the deal and getting me the 2690.... I didn't.

Had a few scary moments when, once I had the monitor on and started up my Mac, I got my desktop (humbag! it's huge!) QUITE BLURRY..... It was sure more blurry than my POS ViewSonic that I just removed from my desk...... And when launching Safari (web program) the frames were VIBRATING... Mom! Somethin' is not looking right here! Maybe I should have bought the 2690, after all!?!?

The display is suppose to automaticaly detect the kind of video card and set it's appropriate resolution... Well, when I started playing with the OSD it gave me a resolution of 1920x540 or something... I went to my "Display" prefs. and there I saw my resolution as "1920x1080 (interlaced)"... Once I clicked on the next one, 1920x1200 hmmm... VOILAAA! everything on my Desktop became as SHARP as sharp can ever be!!!

Guy? This monitor is REALLY nice!

And I'm sorry, maybe it's me being a bit tired, maybe my old eyes, maybe it's being on the Mac -- looking at my boring flat neutral gray desktop, I don't see any color shifting when moving my head around, don't see any lines, I don't notice any checkerboard pixel patterns or textures...

The only annoyance so far is, compared to my old CRT, while moving a box around it gets MOTION BLURRY, no matter what mode I set it to (left it at "text")...

The black of this window is a deep BLACK! Yes, the colors overall are more saturated than I'm used to, and I'm getting my Eye-One Display 2 calibration system soon, but opening Photoshop, a photograph I worked on which was used in a brochure printed by my excellent Offset printer, comparing the two? They look DARN close already, before even calibrating!!!

So, all in all, after sitting in front of this thing for 3 hours now -- I'm happy!

MOTION BLURRY?

have you used LCD's before or is the problem worse on this LCD?

they dont have any stores that sell planar. just spoke with resell department.

sounds like typical asian import commodity stuff. it might be good, it might be crappy, probably they will replace it. this is how it cheaper than NEC. I resell things, so I can tell they are sort of like an LG company, cheaper product, high in features, no infrastructure, mail you 4 of them before you get a good one/hit or miss. not bad though but it explains the 700 dollar difference. 3 year warranty is a great sign though. of course, what does that warranty cover?? will have to call again.... pick their brains on dead pixels and such.

I might go for the smaller 24" benq. they have strong customer support. if you buy the 700+ dollar displays as a consumer, the tech guys on the phone said that dead/stuck pixels problems would be taken care of on individual basis/ just call if there's an issue at all. that's neat.

hm... planar... hm... s-ips vs a-mva??

Motion Blurr: I never had an LCD, so I don't know. I'm sure it has nothing to do with movies or games being blurry, but I haven't tested it yet, and have no games....

they dont have any stores that sell planar. --- So what, ~El~Jefe~? Before you "contribute" your deep, thoughtful "review" here, maybe you should go visit Planar's web site... This company has been in the display business when you were still a baby, probably. I sure did check the background of a manufacturer before I pay them a thousand of my precious bucks...

And LG (is Philips good enough for you?) is one of the biggest, most successful electronics company in the world today, in case you missed it...

BTW, haven't noticed ANY dead pixels, so far....

Guy? This monitor is REALLY nice!

And I'm sorry, maybe it's me being a bit tired, maybe my old eyes, maybe it's being on the Mac -- looking at my boring flat neutral gray desktop, I don't see any color shifting when moving my head around, don't see any lines, I don't notice any checkerboard pixel patterns or textures...

The only annoyance so far is, compared to my old CRT, while moving a box around it gets MOTION BLURRY, no matter what mode I set it to (left it at "text")...

The black of this window is a deep BLACK! Yes, the colors overall are more saturated than I'm used to, and I'm getting my Eye-One Display 2 calibration system soon, but opening Photoshop, a photograph I worked on which was used in a brochure printed by my excellent Offset printer, comparing the two? They look DARN close already, before even calibrating!!!

So, all in all, after sitting in front of this thing for 3 hours now -- I'm happy!

AHH! Stop, you're making me drool!!! :p :D

Now we just need a few pics if you have a digital camera! Any backlight bleed?

you're making me drool!!! --- You have a good reason to.

I don't have my camera here, and leaving tomorrow for the rest of the week.

Backlight bleed? Have no idea... For that you need to have nothing on the screen (shut off the computer) and a totally dark room? It's just not dark enough outside for me to do that...

I don't really know how to submit a picture here.... Was taking a screen shot of a corner of this page, but how do I upload it to this place?...

Hmmm I don't think a screenshot will do anything.. that's just a copy of the framebuffer, or did you find a camera? =D

No, just a screen shot which -- I think -- gives you a much more accurate image than a camera...

A screen shot won't show any errors or discolorations the monitor is producing. You need a camera to properly show what's going on.

No I called CDW... Talk to a guy there. It's a local company that started in our "neighborhood" 10-12 years ago, and became huge... Their warehouse is a bit farther from where they began, but still convenient enough to be driving there ths morning...

amikoenig said:
Well, when I started playing with the OSD it gave me a resolution of 1920x540 or something... I went to my "Display" prefs. and there I saw my resolution as "1920x1080 (interlaced)"
I forgot to mention this. When hooked up to a Mac, the Planar defaults to 1080i for some reason. I've never seen this happen with any other monitor. I checked the DDC information and it seems the Planar is reporting two native resolutions, 1080i and 1920x1200, in that order. The Mac chose the first one reported.

amikoenig said:
The lines are very faint and are stronger on the left side of the screen. I wouldn't go looking for them if you don't see them.

As for the checkerboard pixel patterns, you're supposed to view the images in the bottom-left corner of the screen to see the problems.

amikoenig said:
Motion blur is normal for LCD monitors. The Planar isn't really much different from most other LCD monitors, although some can do a little better.

amikoenig said:
The black of this window is a deep BLACK!
In a lit room, LCD monitors will look better than CRT monitors because they don't wash out in ambient light like CRT monitors do. Black will look good in a lit room. In the dark, the situation reverses.

amikoenig said:
Yes, the colors overall are more saturated than I'm used to, and I'm getting my Eye-One Display 2 calibration system soon, but opening Photoshop, a photograph I worked on which was used in a brochure printed by my excellent Offset printer, comparing the two? They look DARN close already, before even calibrating!!!
The saturation is due to the wide gamut.

kleox64 said:
why the hell does only 1:1 have banding, I dont understand.
ToastyX what source are you using to test this.
That's with the PS3. The banding only happens with 1080p and 1080i for some reason. It's the same kind of banding I see with the other DV modes.

Another thing that's been bothering me is the contrast. It just doesn't seem as good as most other monitors I've tried, so I took some luminance measurements on various parts of the screen with a colorimeter. The top number is white luminance. The middle number is black luminance. The bottom number is the contrast ratio.

Planar:
planar-uniformity.png

The Planar doesn't even come close to the advertised 800:1 contrast ratio on most parts of the screen, and the uniformity is quite bad. The contrast is worse on the right side of the screen where the backlight bleeding is. That's another reason I don't like backlight bleeding.

NEC:
nec-uniformity.png

The NEC measured significantly better.

Yay, Amikoenig! Very happy for you! :) I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it is for work for you, especially once you calibrate it.

Maybe you got a bum monitor Toasty? I would be interested in seeing if all of the Planar monitors are that way or that you just got a bad one.. Could be due to the backlight bleeding. Just fuels my paranoia of LCD tech. :eek:

Thinking about it.. wouldn't the contrast ratio be dependent on the panel? If they are using the same panel they should have the same stats, unless the one you have is defective.. The uniformity and contrast ratio seems to be tied to the screen and backlight not the added electronics.

Maybe my theory of Planar getting the NEC rejects was right?

1:1 is done properly. I checked with a checkerboard pixel pattern. The only problem is there's banding. I don't have an Xbox, and I haven't tested VGA.

Thanks for the photos ToastyX. Is the banding noticeable enough (I'm not too picky) during normal usage to make this monitor a no-go for me? It seem that this monitor comes the closest to getting everything right (picture quality, scaling and no major defects like the BenQ blackouts) of any 24" or 26" out there right now, so I'm seriously considering it.

Also, can someone PLEASE test the VGA with a 1080p source?

I am looking at my desktop, which (as I mentioned) is a neutral (maybe it's a bit on the bluish side, but that's a gray I chose from Apple's collection), solid gray, and I can't find any dead/stuck/white/balck/colored pixel... I looked around very carefully...

I also don't see any colorization of the gray when moving from one side to the other, or vertically.

The ONLY variation I can notice is a slightly darker left side, vs. the right side, which I believe was mentioned here before as typical to the NEC too.

So far, for me -- I'm totally satisfied. but still waiting for the calibration, probably next week.

Uh oh! I am starting to slide back to it being a tossup between this and the NEC LCD2470WNX-BK :eek:

MasterTactician said:
Thanks for the photos ToastyX. Is the banding noticeable enough (I'm not too picky) during normal usage to make this monitor a no-go for me? It seem that this monitor comes the closest to getting everything right (picture quality, scaling and no major defects like the BenQ blackouts) of any 24" or 26" out there right now, so I'm seriously considering it.
If you're not too picky, then I don't think it'd be much of a problem. It's visible if you know what to look for, but for the most part, it's not noticeable, especially when you're concentrating on the game.

MasterTactician said:
Also, can someone PLEASE test the VGA with a 1080p source?
I just tried testing 1080p over VGA by adding a custom resolution, but the monitor reports it's 1280x1024 and scales it down. The same custom resolution works over DVI.

UrielDagda said:
Maybe you got a bum monitor Toasty? I would be interested in seeing if all of the Planar monitors are that way or that you just got a bad one.. Could be due to the backlight bleeding. Just fuels my paranoia of LCD tech. :eek:
It's very possible I got one that's worse than average, but I've only seen this kind of bleeding with IPS panels, never with PVA panels. The NEC I have now is actually a replacement. The original had more backlight bleeding, but not as bad as the Planar.

It's very possible I got one that's worse than average, but I've only seen this kind of bleeding with IPS panels, never with PVA panels. The NEC I have now is actually a replacement. The original had more backlight bleeding, but not as bad as the Planar.

Seems every panel technology sucks ass in different ways.. I have been told with the S-PVA if you look straight on it will look like a darker spot in the middle.. That sounds damn annoying too.

Its like the choices are crappy colors and horrible viewing angle, or dark shifting or dark spots or rampant backlight bleed... Its frustrating.. I really do prefer the wider angles of the IPS, everything seems good about it but it seems like the designers didn't bother to give a crap about stopping backlight bleed.

:confused:

I wish I could afford both panels and send back the one I can't stand. Who designs this crap? It's like they intentionally screw up one thing in each type of panel.

Shopping for an LCD monitor is more frustrating than listening to an hour long speech by a stutterer with Tourette's.

Seems every panel technology sucks ass in different ways...Shopping for an LCD monitor is more frustrating than listening to an hour long speech by a stutterer with Tourette's.

I'll echo that! :mad: Every new monitor I look into has its own set of flaws that renders in unpurchasable. I'm beginning to think I should just get that Sony 24" CRT everyone says is the "Holy Grail of 24" Monitors" and wait for HDR-LCD tech to come down in price (lol, it will be a while...it's ~$50,000 right now, but at least you can't complain about grey blacks)

On a more serious note...

I just tried testing 1080p over VGA by adding a custom resolution, but the monitor reports it's 1280x1024 and scales it down. The same custom resolution works over DVI.

Thanks so much...for confirming my worst fears :( Does the VGA 1080p input work in any of the scaling modes at all (full, aspect or 1:1)? Could I possibly get you to post some pics of the VGA scaling? You are awesome ToastyX, I would never be able to justify sinking a Cleveland ($1000) into this monitor without your excellent review. Even so...I still don't know what to do...This seems to be the best, but it's beginning to seem that the best just isn't good enough :mad: . What should I do???

Motion Blurr: I never had an LCD, so I don't know. I'm sure it has nothing to do with movies or games being blurry, but I haven't tested it yet, and have no games....

they dont have any stores that sell planar. --- So what, ~El~Jefe~? Before you "contribute" your deep, thoughtful "review" here, maybe you should go visit Planar's web site... This company has been in the display business when you were still a baby, probably. I sure did check the background of a manufacturer before I pay them a thousand of my precious bucks...

And LG (is Philips good enough for you?) is one of the biggest, most successful electronics company in the world today, in case you missed it...

BTW, haven't noticed ANY dead pixels, so far....

yeah a website without any allowable store front or authorized retailer is really established in america. they are a rebadging company for consumer displays. they probably are not allowed into buying groups because of this. ever been part of a buying group? hm. calculators werent around when i was born. im guessing their lcd reputation wasnt around then either.

Back