Planar PX2611W 26"

But if you're one of those people that must have the screen touching your nose, then a large IPS just isn't going to work for you.

Lol.

Not sure if it was this thread, but someone made a comment about CRT dot pitch vs. LCD's. I believe the comment was the 26" being the best compromise in high-resolution, size, and readability.

Guys,

Is PX2611W Native at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200? My Nvidia control panel is telling me it's Native at 1920x1080 but I can't find this anywhere in the Planar specs.

Raz

Are you sure? Why would my Nvidia control panel be telling me it's 1920x1080?

Raz

The only time mine ever did that was when I hooked up two Planars in clone mode.

Do you have DDC turned off?

Only with respect to input lag. The NEC is superior -- and vastly more expensive -- in all other aspects.

I'm now noticing that there are two 2690 models. One is priced at $1,200 (model LCD2690WUXI-BK) and the other $1,400 (model LCD2690WUXI-BKSV) It seems the only difference is the SV model has something called "Rapid Response". Is this where your extra money id being spent? If so, what it is and would this display provide similar performace to that of the Planar?

After some more time with my Planar, I'm noticing that the text looks green at times. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, has anyone seen the Samsung XL24 LED display. I doubt very much that it's worth $2230.00!

Raz

Toasty,

Was it the NEC 2690 that you compared with the PX2611W?

I'm thinking about purchasing the NEC today so that I can compare them side by side and return one. I do worry about this input lag difference with the NEC you mention to that of the Planar. The only realy complaint I have with the Planar is the viewing glow, otherwise she's about perfect.

Raz

If you check out the 2690 thread, Toasty took photos of the Planar and NEC sitting side-by-side. They clearly show the difference between the NEC (with "true white polarizer") and Planar as far as viewing angles/white glow are concerned. The panels are exactly the same, but the TW polarizer seems to have completley eliminated the glow (at least judging by his photos).

However, the improvement comes at a price both in cost and performance; the extra electronics in the NEC add at least 2 frames of input lag. So the bottom line is: if you're a gamer, the Planar is cheaper and faster with much less lag; but the NEC is better in every other way.

Razmo said:
Was it the NEC 2690 that you compared with the PX2611W?
Yes.

Razmo said:
I'm now noticing that there are two 2690 models. One is priced at $1,200 (model LCD2690WUXI-BK) and the other $1,400 (model LCD2690WUXI-BKSV) It seems the only difference is the SV model has something called "Rapid Response". Is this where your extra money id being spent? If so, what it is and would this display provide similar performace to that of the Planar?
The SV model is just the regular model bundled with the SpectraView software and a colorimeter. They're exactly the same. The biggest differences between the NEC and Planar monitors are the NEC can be calibrated in the monitor itself so no shades are lost, and it has a polarizer to subdue the white glow.

After some more time with my Planar, I'm noticing that the text looks green at times. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, has anyone seen the Samsung XL24 LED display. I doubt very much that it's worth $2230.00!

Raz

The two models are the same except that the SV comes with SpectraView software and colorimeter (NEC's "color calibration solution"). Both have Rapid Response.

On the text, if you mean you see some faint green and/or red where edges have been smoothed (antialiasing), then its a ClearType rather than a monitor issue. It was more noticeable on my first Planar than on my replacement for some reason, and lowering gamma too much seems to make it worse. On neither Planar was it anywhere near as bad as on my 2470WNX. There's a ClearType tuner on Microsoft's website that may help.

No, leave it on. I was just guessing that might have something to do with your video driver not reading the right res from your monitor.

Lol.

Not sure if it was this thread, but someone made a comment about CRT dot pitch vs. LCD's. I believe the comment was the 26" being the best compromise in high-resolution, size, and readability.

I definitely agree with that. I couldn't read sh@t on my 24" NEC, and the thought of being bound to 1920x1200 forever at that size and pitch really made me long for my 21" CRT and her sexy power to change resolutions at will. :D

But the Planar's extra size and especially looser pixel pitch made all the difference in the world. I haven't wanted to switch resolutions since...and the old CRT is finally dead to me.

Guys,

Is PX2611W Native at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200? My Nvidia control panel is telling me it's Native at 1920x1080 but I can't find this anywhere in the Planar specs.

Raz
you know, my nvidia control panel (geforce 6800) thinks the native resolution is 1920x1080 as well. i thought it was a little strange, but i just switched it to 1920x1200 and hadn't thought much about it until i read your post.

The native resolution is 1920x1200, but for some reason, it reports two native resolutions, 1080i and 1920x1200, with 1080i being reported first. That's probably why you're seeing 1920x1080. That also causes the resolution to default to 1080i when connected to a Mac, but the resolution can be changed.

The DoubleSight also reports the same two resolutions, but it reports 1920x1200 first, so I didn't see that problem on the DoubleSight. I figured maybe newer revisions of the Planar fixed that too.

Well, I've had this monitor for about a week and I've gotten a pretty good feel for how it is. And I love it, it's a great monitor for me. I thought it looked pretty good out of the box and once I calibrated it with a Eye One Display 2 (borrowed from a LCD2490) and the resulting profiles improved colors even more. I was contemplating getting the DoubleSight instead of this, but I wanted Planar's better support and the extended warranty, so to me the extra cost was worth it (ended up being $870 from Dell after some coupons).

I am currently running it in sRGB DV mode with contrast at 50%, sharpness 40%, and brightness at 50%. At first I thought ~50% brightness might be too bright, but I think I prefer it bright and I've gotten use to it over my overly dim previous monitor. I have zero discernible backlight bleed on my panel and no dead pixels. It's really arrived in perfect condition. The only thing I have noticed is the white glow mentioned by others but that is only noticeable at extreme angles I don't even use anyway.

Not quite a hardware problem, but now I just need to convince the Opera devs to include proper color management in an upcoming release and I will be a completely satisfied PX2611W owner.

If you're running a color calibrated profile I'd suggest using the TEXT mode as you will get more accurate colors and better black levels.

If you look earlier in this post you will see a ton of data on this as I posted test results for all modes before and after calibration.

Well, I've had this monitor for about a week and I've gotten a pretty good feel for how it is. And I love it, it's a great monitor for me. I thought it looked pretty good out of the box and once I calibrated it with a Eye One Display 2 (borrowed from a LCD2490) and the resulting profiles improved colors even more. I was contemplating getting the DoubleSight instead of this, but I wanted Planar's better support and the extended warranty, so to me the extra cost was worth it (ended up being $870 from Dell after some coupons).

I am currently running it in sRGB DV mode with contrast at 50%, sharpness 40%, and brightness at 50%. At first I thought ~50% brightness might be too bright, but I think I prefer it bright and I've gotten use to it over my overly dim previous monitor. I have zero discernible backlight bleed on my panel and no dead pixels. It's really arrived in perfect condition. The only thing I have noticed is the white glow mentioned by others but that is only noticeable at extreme angles I don't even use anyway.

Not quite a hardware problem, but now I just need to convince the Opera devs to include proper color management in an upcoming release and I will be a completely satisfied PX2611W owner.

I did some looking at this panel and noticed on newegg the spec states 1000:1 contrast. The Planar website also states 1000:1. Places like buy.com state 800:1 and DS which uses the same panel is 800:1. I called.

Turns out there is a new glass being used that increases the contrast ratio to 1000:1. My question is, which panel gives this white glow issue? Does the new glass improve the old issue? Is there any easy way to tell the difference in models?

Thanks,

Peter.

Edit: I can't believe I wrote this crap. The contrast ratio is the same on this panel in whatever application it is in, whether NEC, DS, or Planar. "Perceived contrast ratio" might be better with the A-TW, but true contrast ratio is the same 800:1 on all of them.

The improvement in contrast ratio is from the A-TW (Advanced True White) Polarizer. This also eliminates the white glow issue.

The way to tell the difference is precisely as you mentioned, which is the white glow on blacks from viewing at an angle.

Straight on there is little to no white glow whether A-TW polarized or not.

It seems going forward the 26" H-IPS only is being built with the A-TW polarizer straight from LG to the manufacturers. Since the same OEM makes DS and Planar, I would assume newly built Planars will have it.

Regards,

10e

I did some looking at this panel and noticed on newegg the spec states 1000:1 contrast. The Planar website also states 1000:1. Places like buy.com state 800:1 and DS which uses the same panel is 800:1. I called.

Turns out there is a new glass being used that increases the contrast ratio to 1000:1. My question is, which panel gives this white glow issue? Does the new glass improve the old issue? Is there any easy way to tell the difference in models?

Thanks,

Peter.

The polarizer has no effect on the measured contrast ratio. It only eliminates the glow. The NEC is also rated at 800:1.

Ok so perhaps Planar is simply trying to justify the higher price by updating the spec...

In general it seems most believe Planar has a better reputation for warranty replacement. Are both companies equal in all other areas? I mean, does DS allow 8 dead pixels and Planar only 4? Does one offer tighter QC prior to allowing shipment?

Right now it seems the only place to purchase the DS is Amazon. Price is at $799 w/ free shipping. This is some $100 above buy.com or Newegg both of which are showin gno stock. The Planar is available from Buy.com for $60 more than the DS, is this $60 worth it? Would it be best to wait till the DS display comes back in stock?

Thanks,

Peter.

Ok guys I'm in Canada, and I'll be buying this monitor, since I can't find the doublesight anywhere.

Before I do, does anyone have any last thing I should know about?

The PX2611W is now $856 at Provantage. For those who want this, grab it! I might.

The PX2611W is now $856 at Provantage. For those who want this, grab it! I might.

I think it's been that price. Seems like I paid that much when I got mine a few months ago. Not a bad price at all, although the DoubleSight is gaining a cult following for $150 less and 2 DVI inputs.

Tired of waiting for Doublesight so I'm thinking about this as well. Is there any Canadian retailers that have this one in stock ? A bit reluctant to buy from US.

Same with me. I order the DS via Amazon waited two weeks say it the status updated to 1 to 2 month wait and said later.

NCIX is the Canadian hook up.

I am perfectly happy with mine. I got two dead pixels but neither are noticable except only completely black screen and if I am trying to find them. Screen uniformity is great. Blew away my 22" CRT that was only 2 years old. The only thing the CRT did better was lag but no LCD can match a CRT on that measure.

One other note, I profiled mine from the start with a Display Eye 2. The before and after showed the default colors to be damn close. The only noticable difference to the eye was the gamma after correction.

Thanks for the link. Did you get it from NCIX ? Does not show stock on their website. I will get an update about availability soon. Bought lots of stuff from NCIX and I preferring dealing with them.

Same with me. I order the DS via Amazon waited two weeks say it the status updated to 1 to 2 month wait and said later.

NCIX is the Canadian hook up.

I am perfectly happy with mine. I got two dead pixels but neither are noticable except only completely black screen and if I am trying to find them. Screen uniformity is great. Blew away my 22" CRT that was only 2 years old. The only thing the CRT did better was lag but no LCD can match a CRT on that measure.

One other note, I profiled mine from the start with a Display Eye 2. The before and after showed the default colors to be damn close. The only noticable difference to the eye was the gamma after correction.

Hmmm Provantage has a 30-Day return policy on the PX2611W.... Might be a good idea to test them out.

Anyone know if they have a restocking fee?

On the web site it seems to imply that 30 day return only applies to 50 US states. Not sure if it applies to Canada.

Also not sure about DHL shipping -- Is there any additional fees other than tax ?

Checked NCIX and there is no stock. May need 2 weeks to order.

Hmmm Provantage has a 30-Day return policy on the PX2611W.... Might be a good idea to test them out.

Anyone know if they have a restocking fee?

Ok guys, I need your help once again...

Money is no real problem... Should I get the Planar or wait for the Doublesight 26"?

My main concern is the low input lag, and the A-TW polarizer.

What should I get?

My Planar shows what I think is white glow if I view from the side, so I assume it doesn't have the A-TW polarizer. Then again, I'm always right in front of my monitor when I use it so no big deal to me either way.

Decided at the end of the day to go with this monitor and ordered it from Provantage the other day. I had been planning on the DoubleSight, but given the 236N's been discontinued, I felt better about going with this one, and I also like the company's reputation for good customer support should you have problems like dead pixels.

Part of me wanted to wait for the 265W, but I also really needed to start this build, and besides just waiting for a ship date, I'd want to see early reviews too. Plus looks like it may have speakers (according to a customer rep), and for whatever reason, I don't like speakers on a monitor personally.

Buying an Ergotron stand along with this so I can rotate and it's more adjustable.

Only thing I might miss is that polarizer, but we'll see - most of my computing is pretty head on. The good thing about Provantage is it seems the 30-day standard policy applies for any reason (though there's probably a restocking fee).

BTW, does anybody have any recommended settings for this monitor when it arrives? I know it has modes like text, gaming, standard, etc. Is there any profile that's best all around on this display (as I don't want to switch - I'd like to stick with one)? Any good tips for calibrating? Thanks.

Hhhmm. I think I put mine in photo but I'll have to check. I had to put my brightness on 10% anything above 20% was just too bright and even 10% is pretty damn bright.

As for the rest I ran my Eye One Display 2 and let it do the rest.

I don't have an itch to change the base as it has vertical and title and that's all I need until I go dual.

I don't think it has the A-TW polarizer which is the only thing I will miss but I have waited a long time and had no desire to wait a few monthes for the DS. The viewing angles are still excellent as it is IPS after all.

Make sure you are using the new Firefox 3 with the color proifle enable plugin. Otherwise the wide gamut really jacks your colors (particularly on skin tones).

This was a major step up from my old CRT no doubt. In my view in the sub $900 this, the DS and the Dell 2007WFP (use it at work) are the only decent monitors.

Yeah, this'll be my first LCD and I'm nervous but also excited. Also stepping up from a 19" CRT (and a whole new computer build as well) so this is going to be a whole new world for me.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm hoping I don't kick myself for not getting something with the polarizer, but I'm glad to hear viewing angles aren't bad on this monitor and as long as they're reasonable I'm sure I'll be happy.

Also, that tool for calibration looks pretty cool - I hadn't seen those before. Hrmmm.

Decided at the end of the day to go with this monitor and ordered it from Provantage the other day. I had been planning on the DoubleSight, but given the 236N's been discontinued, I felt better about going with this one, and I also like the company's reputation for good customer support should you have problems like dead pixels.

Part of me wanted to wait for the 265W, but I also really needed to start this build, and besides just waiting for a ship date, I'd want to see early reviews too. Plus looks like it may have speakers (according to a customer rep), and for whatever reason, I don't like speakers on a monitor personally.

Buying an Ergotron stand along with this so I can rotate and it's more adjustable.

Only thing I might miss is that polarizer, but we'll see - most of my computing is pretty head on. The good thing about Provantage is it seems the 30-day standard policy applies for any reason (though there's probably a restocking fee).

But don't you think it's worth it to wait around for the W model? I mean you've waited this far...

We're in the same boat.

But don't you think it's worth it to wait around for the W model? I mean you've waited this far...

We're in the same boat.

Well, it was a tough decision for me, but really, this is the first time in literally a year and a half I finally felt it was the right time to build and could get all the parts I wanted. The only exception really was the monitor, and it seemed there was a good alternative to that, so the time just feeling right for the rest of the build had a lot to do with it. (I'm completist - I really like the idea of doing it all at once.) Waiting to the August timeframe's just gonna make me more antsy about building now instead of going with Nehalem...so it was a more...I gotta just pull the trigger and build or I never will.

Also, the Planar looks like a great monitor, and it'll take a while before we really know how the 265W is even though theoretically it should be the same panel as the 263N just nicer. Also, I'm pushing it with the 25.5" as is as far as desk space, and if the new model is going to have speakers, etc., that may push the size (as well as price) up depending on how they do it, and I never really liked speakers on a monitor as I said. The extra inputs would be nice, but I don't see myself using it as I'll be using DVI, and you can always get an HDMI->DVI adapter even though it doesn't have an HDMI port specifically.

Don't get me wrong - I think the new DS'll be a great monitor from the sound of it and I may very well have gone with it instead had I ended up waiting, but given I got a pretty good deal with the Planar, it looks like I can return it if I'm not happy within 30 days, the support/warranty (3 year with 2-day advance replacement + a good dead pixel policy IIRC) is reportedly much better than Doublesight, and its essentially the same panel on it, I think I made a good choice. Time will tell.

If the polarizer is important to you (I don't *think* it will be for me, but I'm not certain yet - we'll see if I have problems) or you need the extra inputs, and also if your build can wait, waiting might very well be the best option. If not, I really think the Planar's a great option because of the reasons mentioned above. Just my two cents - I think it's really a personal choice, but something felt right for me to go for it now.

Buy.com has these listed for $776 shipped now. Maybe they are trying to get rid of them for some new panel to come?

Back