Post Your Dual Core Opteron Results

I use a credit card to apply it very very thin... Same thing with the GPU... Also you might as well set your LTD to 3x or 4x...

BioVader said:
I use a credit card to apply it very very thin... Same thing with the GPU... Also you might as well set your LTD to 3x or 4x...
I use a razor, I'll give it another go today though.

I just got an Opteron 170 0543TPMW as well, to replace my crappy 0536XPMW 175.
0536XPMW is barely 2.6G stable at 1.55V.

Hoping for better now that I have a good stepping! Results in a day or 2.

543TPMW's seem to be abundant. My 170 wont get here until monday, i hope its not a crap chip.

Yeah.

I'm probably going to tinker with mine, then sell it and try something else. I won't sell it if it's a total OCing dud though.

For the five minutes i had my opteron setup running, the cpu temp was 29c at boot, idle. I was rather impressed with my choice in cpu coolers. Dual 80mm exhaust fans, and a 120mm thunderblade blowing on a scythe ninja. Two additional fans in the front of my case. One is an adjustable enermax, and the exhasts are zalman, silent fans. You can barely tell the system is runnning ;)

Budwise said:
i got a 170 this week from a place www.digitalhotbuy.com

Give em a try. They had good prices and shipped very fast.

EDIT: I just checked them, and they are not OOS too! lol, wow, just wow... Im glad i got mine when i did!

I just did a pricegrabber search, and every single place was out of stock...
Thanks! Supposedly they had 4 left in stock when I called, and the guy assured me that I would be getting one of them.

The nice thing is I was able to get through rather easily, and the staff is indeed friendly...albeit a little hard to understand though ;). I cancelled my order with MonarchComputer as they would have taken at least another two weeks to a month, and this way I am not locked into a combo deal when I really only wanted the processor.

I'll let you all know how it overclocks!!

Roliath said:
Well I have an Opteron 170 CCBWE 0541RPMW. And it's overclocking is nothing to write home to.
Initial testing shows that 2.5GHz is dual-prime stable with only 1.4volts.
2.6Ghz is not dual prime stable with 1.4v, but is stable in all of my games, benches, spi, and others. this chip is certainly voltage hungry.
I have made up my mind and am selling this chip on Ebay. I'll try my luck with a 175 (could use an 11x multi).
I mean 2.5GHz isn't bad, but coming from a 2.7Ghz Sandy I wanted to get where I was or higher, not lower.
two cores @2.5 > then one core at 2.7

This is probably hard to quantify, and not a popular statement, but I'm not sure that the extra $100 for the 170 over the 165 can't be better spent elsewhere. Seems that OCs are 200mhz more on the 170. Am I crazy?

Swishbish33 said:
This is probably hard to quantify, and not a popular statement, but I'm not sure that the extra $100 for the 170 over the 165 can't be better spent elsewhere. Seems that OCs are 200mhz more on the 170. Am I crazy?
I'll admit, I thought that very same thing. The only differences are that the 170 offers a higher multiplier, which helps those who can't reach a very high HTT (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and is clocked 200MHz higher than its 165 counterpart (1.8GHz vs 2GHz). So, for some the 170 is a better solution depending on their given system hardware.

RegisteredToPost said:
For the five minutes i had my opteron setup running, the cpu temp was 29c at boot, idle. I was rather impressed with my choice in cpu coolers. Dual 80mm exhaust fans, and a 120mm thunderblade blowing on a scythe ninja. Two additional fans in the front of my case. One is an adjustable enermax, and the exhasts are zalman, silent fans. You can barely tell the system is runnning ;)

I do not want to flame, but I wonder why people even post 'idle' temperatures. None of my CPUs are ever idle, either I am using them for some purpose, or they are running F@H. I really don't think that people should care about idle temperatures, since I could care less if my CPU fails when idle. If I cannot put load on a CPU, it is worth nothing.

drizzt81 said:
I do not want to flame, but I wonder why people even post 'idle' temperatures. None of my CPUs are ever idle, either I am using them for some purpose, or they are running F@H. I really don't think that people should care about idle temperatures, since I could care less if my CPU fails when idle. If I cannot put load on a CPU, it is worth nothing.
It's for reference dude. I doubt many people are having problems idling... It doesn't matter anyhow - as everyone's interpretation of "under load" is going to be different, in addition to the ambient air temp of the location they are in.

I look at the idle temps over time to make sure there in the normal range. Good thing to do to make sure your HS fan and paste are applies right. Also if for some reason I'm supposed to be idling at say 32 and I'm seeing mid 40's I know I have a problem somewhere or something is running in the background that shouldn't be.. so yes idle temps are important.. And a lot of us don't fold or run constant load.. We build gaming machines and use then accordingly..

Just got an Opty 170, its a CCBWE 0543TPMW. What is everyone maxt case? I seem to have gotten a chip with the lowest maxt listed on AMD's site :(. I havent OC'd it yet but i hope to get 2.8ghz on water at least.

AMD64 TCaseMax - v1.14
----------------------

CPU Information (CPU #1):
Standard CPUID: Family: F, Model: 3, Stepping: 2
Extended CPUID: Family: F, Model: 23, Stepping: 2
CPUID String: 20F32
Processor APIC: 0
Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron 170 (Toledo)
CPU Speed: 2010.30 (201.03 x 10.0)
Revision: JH9-E6
Platform: Socket 939
Startup VCore: 1.350v
Maximum Case Temperature = 49C
TDP: 35.0 Watts

Written by: Arthur Liberman.
Idea by: Petr Koc.
More info at: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83

Though I've never heard of this program before, I've read that that week 0543 is by far one of the better overclockers. General consensus seems that 0530 was the best, and that this one is second best.

I'll bet you get a pretty decent overclock with that chip.

AMD64 TCaseMax - v1.14
----------------------

Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron 165 (Toledo)
CPU Speed: 2601.33 (289.04 x 9.0)

Well my 165: CCBWE0541RPMW seems to be ok at 2486 MHz, with stock Vcore (which would be 1.35V according to PC Probe II). Should I take the Vcore higher? Load temps are at 46C atm on my XP120 with Panaflo M1A. Suggestions are welcome...

onto TCaseMax

AMD64 TCaseMax - v1.14
----------------------

Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron 165 (Toledo)
CPU Speed: 1809.22 (201.02 x 9.0)

OSA170ODAAGCD
CCBWE0530TPMW

2700 MHz (10 x 270) @ 1.312v

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (1.50 Bios)
AMD Retail cooler

CCBWE0530.jpg

/edit:
Temp2 is the CPU, under full load (or as close as I can get it) it gets to about 53C @ 1.40v which will prime95 for hours on end. My motherboard tops at 274Mhz right now, I can't seem to load the OCWorkbech beta bios 1 to see how much higher I can go. I've got a feeling I'm maxed out on the CPU though. My RAM sucks, it can only do 250MHz. A better cooler would probably help too...

I don't know how much extra speed on my ram and more HTT room on the board will help me out if the CPU is maxed.

thats nice can u do any more with higher volts or are you limited by ur board also which is ur cpu load temp

Man those 530's are killer. I got my opty 170 543tpmw priming right now. 260x10 at 1.48v. Seems i got an avg chip :(

Side question, do those dfi boards overvolt? I think i heard that somewhere but am not sure.

Opteron 170 0530

Prime stable at 2.8 GHz @ 1.42V

It does 2.7 at stock volts (1.33 in Windows)

Demenion said:
Opteron 170 0530

Prime stable at 2.8 GHz @ 1.42V

It does 2.7 at stock volts (1.33 in Windows)
dang wish my 0530 would do that... 2.7 won't even run prime at 1.42v, looks like its passing at 1.47 though...

Just started messing with mine, got Opty 170 w/AsRock Sata2 board. Right now I'm at 10x250. This board is hard to figure out though (bios) plus I'm just coming from the Socket 478 world so HTT and all this mess... I'm still learning it. Prime seems ok at that speed though.

As soon as I can figure out what I'm doing I'll post final results. :rolleyes:

Gun_Strife said:
undervolt i believe

Yeah, they undervolt about .025V-.04V on the Vcore. I set mine to 1.45V and I get 1.41V in CPU-Z. When I put 1.425V, I get 1.39V in CPU-Z.

Phadeout said:
I have an 0536XPMW, can do 2.6 but only at 1.55V.
Got it Nov 8, from PCCanada (actually Insight.ca but same warehouse).

It's nothing special. May try my luck with a 170. I don't need the 11x multi anyways.

Hey guys, you should post where and when you got your processors too.

Well, tried my luck with a diffferent processor by returning my 175.

Have an 0543TPMW at 2.7Ghz, can do 2.75 with 1.56+ Voltage, and maybe even 2.8 with more, but I don't want to run much past 1.55 right now.

(and when I mean stable, I mean Dual Prime Large and Small FFT 2+ hours, 3dmark05, and FEAR for about 4 hours... FEAR seems to be my best test of stability)

2.7Ghz stable at 1.52V for now, still burning it in and tweaking the A8N32SLI..

update on my 170 CCBWE 0543TPMW:

With the new watercooling, i have dropped from 2700 @ 1.48-1.50 to 1.45 or lower (still testing). I tried to get 2800, but even on high end water its just not workin. At 1.6Vcore 2800 was stable in Prime for about 10 minutes and then the same old lame core fails. To go from 2700 @ 1.45 to 2800 at 1.6+ just doesnt seem worth it at all to me. I had a little higher hopes for this chip on water, but it just fell short on me...

Budwise said:
update on my 170 CCBWE 0543TPMW:

With the new watercooling, i have dropped from 2700 @ 1.48-1.50 to 1.45 or lower (still testing). I tried to get 2800, but even on high end water its just not workin. At 1.6Vcore 2800 was stable in Prime for about 10 minutes and then the same old lame core fails. To go from 2700 @ 1.45 to 2800 at 1.6+ just doesnt seem worth it at all to me. I had a little higher hopes for this chip on water, but it just fell short on me...
its alright, with the change in climate from moving from western washington to the dallas area, i lost 100mhz, but now i can clock at 2.7 at a much lower vcore, i was having to run at 1.65v for 2.8, and now, 1.47, so much cooler, dropped about 10C at load.

sounds like the 0530 and 0543 are almost identical... Both struggle to hit 2800 but hit 2700 very easy...

Budwise said:
sounds like the 0530 and 0543 are almost identical... Both struggle to hit 2800 but hit 2700 very easy...

2800Mhz wasn't stable at 1.6V? What were the load temps like, I know you're trying to buy a storm. They are hard to come by. The tmaxcase for most 170s seem to be 49-53C.

Back