Project: Fruitf***er

http://www.gumball-machine.com/empty-capsules-1.html

1 inch clear ball the seperates into halfs like your already using the link is an example since i doubt you need 1000 of them....

You should be able to go to a grocery store and find one of those little quarter vending machines that has them in it if the picture or 1 inch isnt giving you an accurate picture of how big it is it is the size of a gumball...

How about a ping-pong ball? I know it's not clear, but if you're going to frost it, and put a colored LED in there anyways, it won't matter. There're two sizes of ball I believe, and the translucent shell will really light up. Cheap too

On a side note... you better keep that can chrome. Anything else is just... unnatural.

Alrighty! I've secured my BALL. It cost $9.60 from Tap. Thanks for that link, I forgot they had em.

Here's the ball:

193596869_b9ca00a50c.jpg

193597077_73926edc20.jpg

That should work out nicely. I'll have to drill a hole into it and sand the outside to a nice frosted coat. Any ideas on the grit to use for that?

Also, finished epoxying the feet:

193596648_eb3ed4a6dc.jpg

193596333_7b9baecfdc.jpg

193595792_ce98819d5f.jpg

Lastly... IT STANDS ON IT'S OWN!!!! nice.

193596091_ac6d3872f0.jpg

Next up, finishing the antenna and doing the mobo mounting and such.

320 or 400 grit should work just fine. Try the finer grit first. If it doesn't seem to be working, go coarser. If you start out too coarse you may have trouble removing scratches.

<edit> 600 is too fine for sure. I used 600 wet to polish a custom made "Y" for my old water cooling setup and it came out like polished acrylic from the factory... nice and clear. I used 320 or 400 to "frost" and soften up LED's before, but can't remember which.

Thanks Psyco.

I'll try them out on some scraps before hittin this baby up.

-A

altmann said:
/snip
Lastly... IT STANDS ON IT'S OWN!!!! nice.
But is it going to stand on it's own with all the weight? haha are you going to secure the feet any further? i would be afraid of a fallover

Aeauvian12 said:
But is it going to stand on it's own with all the weight? haha are you going to secure the feet any further? i would be afraid of a fallover
yea, are you going to bolt it to a stand? Even a 24" x 24" bit of wood would work.

yes, we have a big piece of wood to which the feet are going to be bolted. Don't worry, I'm not under the impression that I can have it stand on it's own 2 legs and nothing else!

More work to be done this weekend.

-A

ok MASSIVE UPDATE:

Sorry for the wait, I worked on it for the last 2 weekends but I didn't post any updates. As of now, we're just finishing up the top (including antenna) and the spout as well as the mounting.

203174126_1a9e0adb40.jpg

Masking the top off for cutting

203174415_5b993fa4ac.jpg

Marked for death (great Steven Segal Movie BTW)

203174794_a02158bb11.jpg

Jagged edges. Needs Anti-Aliasing.

203175193_725d2e4a0a.jpg

Sample fit for the spire (antenna) base.

203175787_fd311d6d81.jpg

Mounting with epoxy the L brackets that will have screws in them. They will attach to the white base with Wing nuts.

203176132_170105de4e.jpg

L brackets Attached!

203175498_0762f56d08.jpg

It stands on it's own! That's a good sign.

203176565_8fa8224b3c.jpg

the wooden base.

203176951_6b32002ff5.jpg

Close Up of the mounted foot on the base.

203177425_a353e5fc9f.jpg

the feet on the base. This sucka ain't going anywhere.

That's it for right now. I have a bunch more pictures to post so don't worry, I'll try to get another update in today.

Well, aside from lathing our own balsa wood spire, that was the closest thing to the desired shape. I think that it provides an adequate break in the dome shape to the antenna.

you could bondo over the funnel to keep it the right shape.....shouldn't be too hard to pile it on there.

altmann said:
Well, aside from lathing our own balsa wood spire, that was the closest thing to the desired shape. I think that it provides an adequate break in the dome shape to the antenna.

If you don't have a lathe you can always ask a fellow [H] with one to make it for you... I happen to be a woodworker with a shop full of tools... :D

BTW, project is looking good...

OK new update. Didn't get a chance to post any more pics yesterday (work!) so here goes:

203178151_b084aa476a.jpg

Here's a bottom up view. you can see our white acrylic bottom where the legs attach and if you're keen in the eyes, you can see where the screws come down through the holes. The screws are in the "L" brackets we put on the bottom of the case.

203178482_40c79aa874.jpg

Here's the top dome prepped for epoxying. I'm epoxying the door shut then bondo-ing the seams.

203178780_dc33880297.jpg

Epoxy applied. It's a little messy but that stuff cures in minutes. It's metal epoxy so the door aint going anwhere.

203179119_4ee34f38ce.jpg

After the tape is removed. The tape was pressed into the seams so that the epoxy wouldn't goop out onto the lid. It did it's job perfectly. The epoxy is a flat line in the seam of the door and the door isn't going anywhere.

203179435_236ca25e90.jpg

Fabbing the Spout. We bought a bit of sheet metal and cut out the shape for the spout.

203179733_132385c0bf.jpg

This is the spout shape. I did several cardboard mock-ups before the final shape was worked out. Saves time in the long run. The lines are folding points. You'll see...

203180091_dcac8223e2.jpg

folding the spout sides. It's coming into being.

203180476_2e0ee18f1f.jpg

The sides folded up. The back will fold up and those little flaps will attach to the sides to create the spout.

203180807_7f37b34f32.jpg

Bondo applied to the dome. Lets just say that I'm no picasso when it comes to applying this stuff and that my hands hurt from sanding so much!

203181148_9b8da4a939.jpg

Ahh that's looking a bit better. One more coat and we should be there.

203181498_cf3fcb9ede.jpg

This is the lines of the door now that the bondo has been applied. Looking good.

I've got more pics but that's it for now!

Looking great man. I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work!

You know to smooth out those waves the bondo will create in the top, you could always get a sprayable polyester on there (pretty much like sprayable bondo) and it'll smooth out quite a bit.

I'll be at PAX too, hope it'll make it!!

cool looking case, at least it doesnt lack personality, looking forward to seeing it finished :cool:

Hey guys.

Sorry for the lack of updates!!!

The.

Case.

Is.

Done.

You can be damned sure that it'll be at PAX. It's all packed away in nice little (big actually) boxes and we're leaving tonight for Bellvue. I'll have it on display at PAX come Friday afternoon when the doors open.

I'm sorry I'm not posting pictures, but I want it to be a big surprise at PAX as far as how the final product turned out. You can be sure though, that I'll be posting pictures the instant PAX starts.

All I can say is that it's turned out better than I ever expected. The case IS the FruitF*cker.

-Altmann

Hey altmann this looks pretty cool. I am going to be up there taking pictures and looking around this weekend. I will make sure to look for you.

Sweet, I can't wait to see this little metal fucker once PAX starts.

Back