Project: OptPrime "Basic Transformer Mods": Begins 10/13

Well, I know it uses the 12V for the led inside the switch, and from the looks of that diagram, it also sends that 12 down the connection to whatever you are using the switch for. Now, you should be able to use it for the LED's, as long as the draw from them doesnt exceed the max (10AMPS) of the switch. Basicly, send in the 12V, and have any needed resistors after the switch, I think thats how its normally done any wat though, from my understanding.

Xipher said:
Well, I know it uses the 12V for the led inside the switch, and from the looks of that diagram, it also sends that 12 down the connection to whatever you are using the switch for. Now, you should be able to use it for the LED's, as long as the draw from them doesnt exceed the max (10AMPS) of the switch. Basicly, send in the 12V, and have any needed resistors after the switch, I think thats how its normally done any wat though, from my understanding.

that sounds about right to me... cool im going to pick some of these up to handle turing off and on ccfl's and led's

here is a little update for ya... no modding but some pictures of crap that i have recieved. I took the cheap way out and bought a matrix orbital mx series vfd. I didn't want to waste time getting an random one and then have it look all crappily backlit and green. so here go the pix:

v1.JPG

Front pic.... mmmmm yummy

v2.JPG

Pic of the back... just figured you guys would want to see it.

v3.JPG

It also came with these led indicator lights. From what i understand you can set them to mean different things with the lcdc program. I think i will probobly throw them in the case some where.

It is blue backlit with a black face. I decided to go w/the black one cause all my drives are black and the entire 6 front 5 inch bays will be filled with black components.
2 x 5 w/ matrix orbital
1 x 5 w/ plextor dvdr
1 x 5 w/ Lite-On 16x dvd
1 x 5 w/vantec fan controller
1 x 5 w/sound blaster audigy 2 plat front drive.

Peace for now.

OptPrime said:
I decided to go w/the black one cause all my drives are black and the entire 6 front 5 inch bays will be filled with black components.

Wow, I've never had more then 2 5.25" drive bays taken up in any case.....it'd be weird having THAT much there.....not nearly as nice to wire either. :p

cornelius for president... lol

ne who it is a silverstone sstj-03... I like it alot :D but it has a crazy high pricetag for a new one. But you get what you pay for i guess. I just waned my first aluminum case to be something huge and over the top... this fit the bill

OptPrime said:
cornelius for president... lol

ne who it is a silverstone sstj-03... I like it alot :D but it has a crazy high pricetag for a new one. But you get what you pay for i guess. I just waned my first aluminum case to be something huge and over the top... this fit the bill

Glad to hear that you're happy with it.....but I'll never give up my Lian-Li. :D

cornelious0_0 said:
Glad to hear that you're happy with it.....but I'll never give up my Lian-Li. :D

I said that about my Silverstone TJ-03 when I got it, but just sold it to OptPrime. :p

As I told you last night after you e-mailed me some pics, it's looking great.

insaneman37 is the guy that made this mod happen. If it wouldn't have been for his patience i wouldn't be doing this mod at all. :D :cool: :D Again tnks...

Yeah, those handles are slick. Same ones I used on my case. (although mine had a satin finish) Of course with my computer being the tank it is, they are almost a necessity.

cgrant26 said:
Yeah, those handles are slick. Same ones I used on my case. (although mine had a satin finish) Of course with my computer being the tank it is, they are almost a necessity.

Yeah man, I was looking at those handles for my Lian-Li mod "Perfect Dark".....but I think I'm gonna have to drop a bit more cash and go with the oh so pimpin' Chromed Heavy Duty Case Handles from MNPCTech.....considering I'm going for the whole black/silver thing after the case is painted black inside and out.

how did you cut your window? specifically how did you cut such nice straight long lines?

I am at work now and I'm not seeing ne red x's... if any one else is plz let me know. And for those of you that have been lurking and not posting. if you are going to eat up my school's bandwidth at least post something :D :D

As for the cuts... I have never had cuts that turned out this well. I'll give you the lowdown on what i did differently this time then the last few times:
1) this is the first time that I worked with an alluminum case. I think that since I did 4 steal cases first I tought myself to deal with the dremel kicking back and wobbling all over the place.
2) The dremel spins counter clockwise if you are looking right down on the screw that holds the cutting discs on. So i mad all my cuts starting on the right side and going to the left. I bet a bunch of people are going to disagree with me on this one but hey it worked. I found that it kicked back a whole bunch less. (im sure that i couldnt have done this with a steal case.)
3) I made my cuts kinda quickly. Once i got the blade in and spinning i lined up and got a good viewing angle on the line i wanted to cut on and went down to it. I was able to do this cause i had a dust mask and eye protection, it let me get right down close to it so i could get a good view of the potential cut.
4) HAND FILE!!! HAND FILE!!! HAND FILE!!! Really this is the most important part. go out and get a high pressure double cut large file such as a "flat bastard"(about 3/4 of an inch wide), a single cut triangular file (about 1/4 inch wide), and a whole set of small jewlers files tringular, round, square, etc (between 1/16-1/8 inch wide). The you will be able to clean up any mistakes that you make and really make yourself look like a dremel god. even if you arent.

OptPrime said:
I am at work now and I'm not seeing ne red x's... if any one else is plz let me know.

Not seeing red x's, but no pics either. Definately a prob there.

i guess my chrontab isn't setup correctly on the good ol apache server. I killed it and restarted hopefully that fixed it. if you can't see pix let me know. I tried deleting my browsers chache file but i think i am still loading them off hd when i view it.

I just had some one approach me about printing this mod in a chinease modding magazine. Wow. I am uber uber pumped about this. I guess I am really going to have to concentrate on getting this done and doing a nice clean job on it. I only wish i was good at painting now. :rolleyes: oh well at least this case has an awesome finish on it already.

OptPrime said:
I just had some one approach me about printing this mod in a chinease modding magazine. Wow. I am uber uber pumped about this. I guess I am really going to have to concentrate on getting this done and doing a nice clean job on it. I only wish i was good at painting now. :rolleyes: oh well at least this case has an awesome finish on it already.

Bro, that's killer news.....but if you REALLY want a nice finish, just pay to take the case into an autobody shop.....they'll do a killer job. You could very easily go for the red/blue paint scheme, and it'll all be a very nice, gloss, car finish. It's what I'm doing with my Lian-Li anyways.....all black. ;)

Depending on where you go the price will be different, but I'm getting my whole case done inside and out for $80 CDN....which is $64 American.

I love the fedex guy.... really every time i see him he makes me soooooo happy. Ne who i got more stuff in the mail today.

new1.JPG

Out of these things I will be using 1 of the 120's (100cfm one), the cable sleeving kit, the fan grill, and the ccfl... All the other stuff is going into an antec aria that i am aquiring parts for... Stay tuned for that worklog as well. :D

new2.JPG

Ha Ha Ha.... the package says "Easy to Install" it is almost as if Vantec is mocking my skillz. Who are they kidding easy to install. They obviously never did it themselves.

There should be 3 more packages comming in the mail for me before friday. I had my old rc/car racing sponsor send me some stuff.
Stuff that is in the mail:
Lexan Sheets
Testors window tinting spray paint
Deans Light Speed Connectors
Audigy 2 Live drive w/ remote
Mini Optimus Prime toy
Molex remover tool

I still need to order:
More ccfls
LED w/led rocker switches
939 board and proc :D

Right now i am just swamped with school work but that will end tomorow and I can get back to the really important stuff... ie case modding.

That's it for now...
Prime

OptPrime said:
Right now i am just swamped with school work but that will end tomorow and I can get back to the really important stuff... ie case modding.

That's it for now...
Prime

Excellent.....it's great to see you've got your priorities in the right places. ;) :D

Finished my article for class early..... so i had a few drinks and did one of my favorite things to do while sauced..... Modding. :D

ccfl.JPG

Ne who i stripped the ccfl down so it could be shoved into a small place in the case. I'll show you where this weekend. But this is that neat lighting effect i was talking about earlier. This idea was obviously stolen from mashie's project "Doom3: Hell Inside"... I suggest you check that out cause obviously you can learn things from it like i did, and well lets face it... he is a modgod.

Also i recieved a livedrive today for the go ole audigy 2... pumped about this shearly for the fact that is has a front headphone hook up and volume control. This will go perfect with my sennheiser hd-555's

Tons more this weekend. I am planning to have this thing done before November first. So this weekend will be modding like crazy time. Also I am feeling the pressure of a looming 939 board and proc.... Need to give it a nice home right off the bat.
:D :D

what did you do with the metal wire on the light? and did you just put electric tape on the end w/o the wires so it wont damage anything? looking good btw

looks like fun so far. and transformers are cool (the *real* ones, anyway)

good luck!

Gah, now you've got me wanting to do the same thing with my UV ccfl's in my case once it's finished....cus that looks too cool. :D

TGIF... No seriously thank the lord. Ne who I got some great news.

I sold this right here today... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=822277 and immediatly i started shopping around. What i came out with was a nice new 939 90nm winchester 3000+, and abit a8v mobo, and a 948u heatsink and dual white ccfl's. For a very short period of time i thought about water cooling. And for all of you that are thinking this case would be cooler if it had water... you are right. but i could not turn down the chance to go 64. Being cool looking is one thing. But being cool looking and fast as hell. that is another.

Needless to say i am super pumped. This rig is gonna be rawkin here soon.

But that is 3 business days away. I need to focus on now first otherwise my 939 stuff will have to go into the vin-diesel looking tt chieftec nock off. BOOOOOO TO THAT.

Tonite I will be focusing on sleaving all of the fan wires and such. I am also going to be starting to wire up the case a bit. with some of the things that I already have. In addition I would like to get the etchings done here in the next few days cause my tinting paint is comming in tuesday.

well it is been a flurry of shipping but the last few things i need are on the way. Looking very good for being done by next weekend. That would be great so i can start on the antec aria 64bit rig i have waiting to be built. Gonna need your help on that one cornelious, the cases for those are all plastic dawg and i need to figure out how to cut that crap. :rolleyes:

To answer questions:
1) What did i do about the little medal wire on the ccfl? I am going to be attaching this ccfl to the mobo tray. actually under the board on the mobo tray. So i will just lay some electrical tape down for it to rest on. As for keeping the ends proteced i just use heatshrinking.
2) I got the Audigy 2 livedrive with remote for 50 bucks on ocforums.com. It is in fantastic shape and the price was right considering that i spent 80 on my zc and 50 on this... that means i spent 130 to get an audigy platinum. sounds good to me. :p

Tnks for tuning in.

OptPrime said:
It also came with these led indicator lights. From what i understand you can set them to mean different things with the lcdc program. I think i will probobly throw them in the case some where.
Just a forewarning on the LED indicators: they are bright as HELL. I'm actually going to be replacing mine with red ones with less brightness to them, as it keeps me up at night when I leave my PC on.

saturday modding day... yay

m1.JPG

Here is the mobo tray all wired up and mounted. I still have to sleeve the fan wires and mount the fans as well. But here you can see the ccfl mounted and the foam that i have to act as a blocker for the ccfl light. This will be visiable to the back mobo window... So this side of the case will be lit up blue and the foam will make sure that not much light will seap through to match the white ccfls on the other side.

m2.JPG

not too much to say here. the pic speaks for itself. really the effect is much cooler in person.

p1.JPG

here u can see that i sleeved the powersupply. Nothing different here. The atx connector is still sleeved black from the enermax factory... i was too lazy to change it.

My girlfriend does all the etching. So i wont put words in her mouth. I will let her work speak for itself. She still has to go back and darken it up to make sure the led's that are put in the side of the window light it up enuf... but i think it is looking nice.

e1.JPG

In the act...

e2.JPG

w/out lights and w/flash

e3.JPG

w/light and w/o flash

mmmmm starting too look yummy... :D

Holy shit bro....that pic was already my desktop....and teh nicest pic of Optimus I've found so far. I'm envious of you having someone like her.....that's fricken sick.....hell, I even love the back panel window......the shapes hold very true to the Transformers theme.

I congratulate you my friend, this is becoming the nicest Transformers mod I've seen. :D

Wow. That etch is breathtaking... That is so awesome! The lighting effects behind the mobo is sweet. Nice job. I can't wait to see this completed! :D

i'd say a "holy freaking crap" is in order for that etching... especially working from a "regular" image rather than a line drawing... hot damn. very nice.

Thanks for all the great compliments guys. It is really keeping me going through this project... :D Here Here for the [H]!

Did a bunch of modding today. However this day had a small down and then a huge up. I was starting to fit the components in the case to prepare for the mobo and proc that is comming in, in the next few days.

So i go to put my vantec nexus fan controller in the 5.25 bay... And the blasted thing doesnt fit. I have no idea how this is but it is like 2mm too big. WTF. I was furious. But right then i had an moment of brilliance. What follows is became of my moment of greatness.

f3.JPG

You can see that i mounted the fan controller so the nobs and the blue led circles around them sit flush with the top of the case. It really came out perfect with the handle right there. The nobs match the finish of the case down to a T.

f1.JPG

Here you can see the mounting brackets that I had to make for this thing to be mounted in there like that. Preaty simple stuff.

f2.JPG

Here it is from the other side. Sorry about the blurry pix

begin.JPG

You can see that it wont be a problem that the fan controller takes up half of the top 5.25 inch bay cause i will have the matrix screen in there.

wirehole.JPG

I put this wire hole in too so that it would be easy to send wires down the the front part of the case without them looking all ghetto.

So the case is still chuggin along nicley. The fan controller thing took me like 4 hours today cause i really didnt want to screw up the holes. I'm glad I spent all that time on it. :D

I NEED SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
I really have no creative ideas for this fan grill area. I am down for making my own fan grill for it but i am not quite sure what pattern to make it. I am really thinking that a fan grill here is a good idea cause i bet this 120mm could take your finger off. What do you guys think?
question.JPG

How about another Autobot symbol? Or maybe the Decepticon? Everyone knows Soundwave's the best. :D Nice way job of fixing your Vantec problem. It looks flush!

did some more late night work... ill leave you with some pictures of where i am at right now in this project.

wire.JPG

Took this pick to give you an idea of where i am at with the wiring. Did a bunch of soldering today to make the cable runs nice and neat. did some more sleaving. Routed some wires under the mobo tray... really just normal stuff. You can see that i have the fans in place. This basically means that I am done working on the chassis of the case. Maybe a little here or there but no more dremeling. whew... didn't even mess it up once. HeHe

mess.JPG

hidden.JPG

If there is anything I have learned from my past projects it is that I am decent at wiring. But i am by no means a god. So i have to leave myself one spot in every project where i can stuff things and kinda make a mess. You can see where this is on this project. This is why i just have the mobo window and not two complete windows. Plus i like the artistic ness of it.

etch.JPG

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in love with this etching. I can't wait to get some LED's and light this baby up... It is going to be sooooo secsie!

top.JPG

I don't think I gave this enough attention before. This is a major triumph for me. Definatly consider the top of the case done. I really like what turned out here and i can't wait to see it with the fan controller all lit up.

Well that is it for today... There is still a bunch left to do here. I will be going rapid fire cause i want this done by thursday. If possible.
Here is the short list of To-Do's with this project before it will be considered done:
1) Have gf etch my handle in other window
2) install white cold cathodes
3) work on front mounted ccfl lighting switches
4) led light etchings
5) ducting system for vid card
6) finish and tint side window
7) Install remaining perifs and new motherboard/proc
8) Work on front part where 120mm is. (still not sure what i am going to do here, if ne thing)
9) Overclock this living piss out of this thing and then go on a gaming binge!!!!!!!!

Well i guess it isnt that short of a list but the big stuff is done. now it is all wrapping it up so that this case can be completed. Honestly I could continue this thing forever. But i am not some one who likes to leave projects unfinished. There is something to be said for profectionism... but there is also something to be said for knowing when something is simply good enough. So yes some things could be better if i spent a ton of time on them... like sleeving every wire in the case... but at this point what isnt sleeved will be hidden. So i am happy with the way this one has been turning out.

Stay tuned much much more to come.

Back