Project: OptPrime "Basic Transformer Mods": Begins 10/13

well i would say my 27xxx in 3dmark01 is about the performance of an fx... lol that and clock for clock the 90nm chips to a bit better then the 130s

OptPrime said:
well i would say my 27xxx in 3dmark01 is about the performance of an fx... lol that and clock for clock the 90nm chips to a bit better then the 130s

I think that you'd find that putting an FX in your system and lowering the multiplier so it's exactly the same as you have it now would still result in more performance.....for one reason.....the cache. That's one gap that you'll never be able to make up with clock speeds, and many games/benchmarks DO benefit a fair bit from it. ;)

i was speaking rather of the 2.4 fx with the 512mb l2. there is no way that this chip could keep up with that new fx that is teh itaniam 2 killa. lol

OptPrime said:
i was speaking rather of the 2.4 fx with the 512mb l2. there is no way that this chip could keep up with that new fx that is teh itaniam 2 killa. lol

Show me an FX with 512kb of cache....according to AMD there doesn't seem to be a s939 FX with 512kb of lvl2 cache, and there ain't a s754 FX chip...so i dunno what you're talking about.

ya apparently there was some dirt in my crackpipe or something... i was thinking that the first 939pin fx's were 2.4 and 512 L2... but no matter. I look to overclocking to get some thing that i dont pay for. I think i did that here. Moreover, i would view the lower speed 939s as the same 2500+ barton situation. AMDroids will remember that as being gaurenteed to buy the proc that costs 90 and get a minimal oc to the one that cost 200. :D :D

and cornelious.... I still love u.
LoL

ya apparently there was some dirt in my crackpipe or something...

Don't worry, I've been there far too often myself. :p

I look to overclocking to get some thing that i dont pay for. I think i did that here.

Ya sure did.....mission accomplished eh? :p 'Grats.

and cornelious.... I still love u.

Aww......well that makes me feel MUCH better, now i dont know if i should be glad that you're happy with your OC and case, or worried cus yer gettin' weird. Haha, jk bro....just a little bored is all. ;)

no kidding... this forum get's my ass through many super boring days at work. i mean come one you can only refresh hardocp.com so many times before you start picking your nose.

I got the stuff from mnpctech.... 2 day shipping. very nice. Really this project has shown me alot about e-tailors. I really have to say that frozencpu, newegg, mnpctech, and fs/ft forums like hardforums.... really kick ass. I would say that 50% of this project was purchased off of either this forum, forums.anand, and ocforums. Basically i was able to build a 10x better computer because i got alot of this stuff second hand. Ne way i will be getting batteries on my way home from work today so we will have som pix very soon. stick with my lazy ass. As they say in Wisconsin... we aint done yet. :D

OptPrime said:
Ne way i will be getting batteries on my way home from work today so we will have som pix very soon. stick with my lazy ass. As they say in Wisconsin... we aint done yet. :D

Yay!!!

I wanna see the mesh on your case bud. I was planning on getting it for my Lian-Li and getting it painted black with the case, but I dont want to risk waiting another 3 weeks for the shipment to clear customs (stupid heatercore) and there's probly something pretty close i can get at Home Depot. I still plan on getting the mesh fan grills....but i can do that whenever, cus they're not getting painted with teh case, so i can add them whenever i get them.

Nice to see Project: OptPrime nearing completion. :cool:

Ok Ok update time just as i promised... I cut the front lower door to allow more airflow cause with the door closed it was horrible. The front alluminum is 1/8 inch thick so it was a ton of fun to cut as you could imagine. A word to the wise.... get a comfortable chair. One thing that made it easier is that I had some of the enlarged cutting discs from mnpctech.com... they worked great. Some how I only used one disc cutting the front door.

Before I get to the pictures I want to show off my firends car. He will be jumping up and down when he sees this. I think he's kinda pumped about the car... and he should be for a ricer, and being under 16g's it is flossin!
l01.JPG

On to the really important stuff...
l08.JPG

I cut the hole with a dremel... and it wasnt easy. the thing got super hot while cutting. I attached the mesh on the door again with my best friend through this mod, two sided foam servo tape. I put some rubber grommets down where the fan grill attaches to the case to stop the air reverberation. It didnt quite help so i think i will be cleaning this up and ataching it to the mesh.

l07.JPG

finished product... I think it looks great and it really helps the airflow situation.

OptPrime said:
l07.JPG

finished product... I think it looks great and it really helps the airflow situation.

See, that's why I still want the stuff for my case, cus it looks bloody cool, but I'm not willing to wait another 2-3 weeks to get my case painted sitting here waiting for the mesh to show up. Unless I coudl pay you to buy me some and ship it air to try and bypass/speed things up I'm not getting it.

Hmm....think you'd be willing to help me out Opt?

Aight these shots are just to show off a little. There are the kinda shots that I will be sending to the magazine guy. Again I will still be doing some work to the case after today... just slowing it down a little

Motherboard...
l11.JPG

Etching...
l09.JPG

Exterior...
l12.JPG

l06.JPG

l04.JPG

l05.JPG

Pictures speak for themselves.

This thread is useless without you zipping up 10mb of the best pics and e-mailing them to me. :D

Awesome job! Now only if you had a G1 Megatron and Optimus having a gentleman's duel on top. :D I'm loving the mesh!

Mr. Miyagi said:
Awesome job! Now only if you had a G1 Megatron and Optimus having a gentleman's duel on top. :D I'm loving the mesh!

I have a G1 Optimus sitting in my room right now. :D

Mr. Miyagi said:
I have one right next to me. :)

Never did get ahold of a Megatron though. I think when I get a better paying job and possibly when I move out I wanna start collecting G1 Transformers...I actually stopped by one day last year and checked out Ebay, and I was surprised at how much you can find. Brought back SOO many memories, as I grew up as a kid watching the original cartoon on TV. Why can't I just go back to those days. :rolleyes: :(

actually i was kinda thinking that i should put the woman to work again up there doing exactly what you said. maybe a window ontop with g1 optprime on one side of the fan flying through the air (or just standing proud i cant decide.) with a similar pose of a g1 megatron on the other side.

mmmm goose bumps. The only thing i am worried about is the rigity of the top of the case with those handles in it especially if i put a window in it. decisions decisions. well these are the kind of mods i will be doing over the next few weeks so dont think i am done yet. i still have some suprises and unfished business to take care of. like that aircoop. :D

You'll have to watch how much more you do to the top panel now that you're relying on those handles to NOT warp or stress the panel too much when you pick it up. I have come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna be using any handles, cus I'm eventually gonna be moving my cdrom to the bottom bay and switching to a 3.5" dual bayres so that I can get a dual 120mm rad, and use the top cdrom bay to "house" it inside my wittle 16" LiLi. ;)

I agree, watch the window size... or make the re-inforcement strips larger (wider, longer and thicker) Not to knock you off or anything, but they did look kind of flimsy to me.

suprizingly they are actually amazingly strong... the top of the case doesnt even tweak at all when i lift it at all. However I dont intend to use them to carry the case around... just to set down and pick up onto surfaces and such... but it would be super easy to make a brace out of .5 - 1mm thick alluminum that ran as as close to the frame as i could the entire length of the case... really then it wouldnt be a problem and i could have a window.

but honestly i really dont want to go over done with this one
i think the top might allready be busy enough as it is... havent made that decision yet. but i will do up concepts and make plans for it, just to see if it is even possible.

To those of you that just got here... there is an update on the previous page

I just started reading up on monitor painting... that big white crt is really cramping my style... i think it needs some blackening. any one have any tips for masking the front screen or for just monitor painting in general?

OptPrime said:
Here is a pic of the lapping job... I watched the new punisher while i did it. Horrible movie.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!??!! That movie kicked ass!

|oR|Spetsnaz said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!??!! That movie kicked ass!

You must have watched a different movie then...I thought it blew as well...it could have been a much better movie, but it just fell short.

Anyway, as for the mod, it's looking really great, nice work!

What are you using to host the pics? My filter here at my work (Peterson AFB) won't let me see any pictures.

they are being hosted on a sun cluster in my universities computer science department. alot of people are saying they can't view the pix from work... it is odd that those would block .edu address and such. But it is just running on a normal apache 1.3.26 server.

The autobots cutout looks awesome and the right side window is pretty sweet as well, great job!

OptPrime said:
I just started reading up on monitor painting... that big white crt is really cramping my style... i think it needs some blackening. any one have any tips for masking the front screen or for just monitor painting in general?

For best results you will have to dismantle it completely. Vinyl die gives a really authentic feel. (ZapWizard on the Bit-Tech forums has a guide on this.)

Tip: For safety reasons, have it disconnected from mains in at least one week before touching it. The condensators inside store high voltage electricity terribly long!

By the way: Amazing work overall, and particularly the etch.

HilRam said:
For best results you will have to dismantle it completely. Vinyl die gives a really authentic feel. (ZapWizard on the Bit-Tech forums has a guide on this.)

Tip: For safety reasons, have it disconnected from mains in at least one week before touching it. The condensators inside store high voltage electricity terribly long!

By the way: Amazing work overall, and particularly the etch.

Ok that is a start... I checked bit-tech for guides the other day but didn't turn anything up... I'll have to look again. the part i am most concerned about is the front screen part. The monitor in question is a Sony CPD-G400 19". Does any one know if there is a way to sepparate the tube from the front plastic face thing?

Thanks for the compliments..... No matter what you say the punisher movie still sucked
:p

No but seriously we've got some monitor painting comming up. Also I will be finishing the whole airscoop idea off. And I have some LED's on the way to better light up that etching and maybe even do some more interesting lighting things. I am also thinking of painting and or polishing the powersupply black. I am also tossing around the idea of getting some mirrored plexi for the bottom of the case so that it will appear larger from the outside. Any one else have any ideas for some more things i can do to this bad boy. I am down to do anything except painting. As it turns out I really like the high gloss brushed silver look that this case has...

tnks for looking
prime^

sorry for the lack of updates latley... i had to go the doctor today and have an alluminum sliver removed from my eye. ;) < so now i look like that... It sucked I was even wearing eye protection for the entire time i cut the case... but figures the last thing i cut puts metal in my eye. oh well feeling better now. I have a lengthy paper due monday so i am gonna finish that and then get on to modding some more next week.

Also I will post a link to my newest project, Project: B4S1L1SK (A total system Antec Aria mod)

Budget on this one will be high as well. ive got an a64 system lined up for it and a 6800gt. getting the cooling down should be interesting. hehe

So, any updates?

I'm still looking at picking up some honeycomb modders mesh eventually for a few places on my case.....the Lian-Li itself will be painted black inside and out in an autobody shop....and I'm almost starting to wonder if the mesh would look better silver as it comes shipped, or painted black to match everything else.

I'm thinkin' that it might be nice to have a little bit of silver/black contrast going on, as everything INside teh case will be black, and it'll help the giant mesh window stand out a lot more.

I know it's offtopic, but what do you think Opt...or anyone else for that matter. Please PM me with your thoughts though, as I don't want to clutter up the thread TOO much. :p

YGPM cornelious.

Hows it going on the moniter front? Have you done any mods to it yet?

Back