Project speeder: $4000: FX60, 7800GTX, SG01B

weirdness. finally got around to configuring the VFD - using LCDC.

my idle temperature is usually around 35C. as soon as I turn on LCDC, it shoots up to 40C. the CPU usage stays at 0-1%.

i've disabled all plugins in LCDC. i've shot down MBM5 - using HMonitor to read the temps. i've decreased the FPS to 2. i've disabled pretty much every feature in LCDC i could. i've also decreased the number of screens displayed to just ONE screen.

to add to this... I went to the "Connection and Type" screen in LCDC's Configuration. as soon as I click "Test Display" button - the connection to COM3 is opened - the CPU temperature goes up 4-5 degrees.

no clues... i posed on the LCDC forums... push comes to shove, i changed my Fan settings in the BIOS to throttle to 64 (out of 127) up to 45C; then increase 4/127 for every 1C up to 60C, at which point, go full throttle. at least this took care of the fan spinning up. w/e it is 100% stable even at 52C, and haven't been higher than that even while turture-testing.

i just want to know how the temperature could be going up 5C and CPU usage is 0%.

i wonder if the above problem is introduced by the chipset drivers... or the USB drivers... :(

ok, let's have a few more comments like that, and i'll post another round of pictures. :D

codeflux said:
ok, let's have a few more comments like that, and i'll post another round of pictures. :D
I've been meaning to comment. But trolling is always fun. lol. The LCD display thing is pretty cool, but I'd miss my front USB ports too much. Overall lookin pretty good. Just a note your heatsink fan and psu will be working againist each other. Have you looked into the NT06 thread?

VoBoy said:
I've been meaning to comment. But trolling is always fun. lol. The LCD display thing is pretty cool, but I'd miss my front USB ports too much. Overall lookin pretty good. Just a note your heatsink fan and psu will be working againist each other. Have you looked into the NT06 thread?
i have a tiny 4-port USB hub on my desk, next to the monitor. if i ever need to plug anything else, i use it. but so far (over a month passed) i haven't had a need. front USB ports, albeit useful sometimes, are usually overrated. ;)

as far as the heatsink fan and the PSU fan working against each other... i did think about that. but there is about a half-inch space between the two, so there is plenty of plenum space. besides, the CPU fan spins at ~1500rpm at most times, and the 120mm PSU fan at even less than that.

i did look at NX06, but i still think the Zalman can do a better job. the PSU fan is quite weak, and it does an OK job of cooling the PSU, and making it do all the work (PSU + CPU) would be taxing it too much, and the PSU will be overheating quite a bit.

forgot to mention - after the upgrade, the case temperature went down 7C (~30C), the CPU temperature - down 5C (35C w/fan @ 1500rpm at full idle; 41C with all the regular crap running - LCDC adds to that significantly; 48C at high load - torture testing - and CPU fan @ ~1800rpm - very quiet still), and video card temperature idles at 41C and tops off at 60C under extreme load (the GPU fan is completely inaudible). a VERY worthwhile mod.

Why didnt you get the 1900XTX or at least a 7900GTX?

Also why did you decide not to use the Accelero cooler?

BurntToast said:
Why didnt you get the 1900XTX or at least a 7900GTX?

Look at the link to his first thread. The date is 03-04. I dont believe the 7900 series was even out then, but I don't recall. I wondered the same at first also, why get a 7800GTX over a 7900GT, but tha'd be the reason.

Far as the accelero goes, its my opinion that that thing is crap. May be his also :D

codeflux said:
i used FedEx. i doubt it was the shipper's fault - i think the green padding was damaged by AMD in packing or manufacture process.

i did find out the hard way that NEWEGG no longer gives RMAs in some products they sell - including all the parts i needed to return: Asus mobo, X-Fi card, SATA DVD writer - and, well, i would also return the CPU for replacement. on their RMA page they listed "this item is warrantied through the manufacturer and newegg does not give you RMA and go away" or something along those lines.

Thats exactly what happened to the green carton for my 3700+. I would place some blame on the shipper, but if the carton wasn't disentegrated, your CPU would have been fine.

Oh, and nice machine.

Viper87227 said:
Look at the link to his first thread. The date is 03-04. I dont believe the 7900 series was even out then, but I don't recall. I wondered the same at first also, why get a 7800GTX over a 7900GT, but tha'd be the reason.

Far as the accelero goes, its my opinion that that thing is crap. May be his also :D
Ah.. the link, didn’t try that till just now.

Looks like he doesnt want the heat from the 1900XTX, so he would rather go with a 7800GTX :rolleyes:

And no overclocking will be done due to him being scared of the heat/him burning up the cpu!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

His system may pwn mine one hundred times over, but if I had $3500-4000 to spare I would sure make some changes. I’m surprised that I don’t see any Fatal1ty hardware on his list LOL

Fatal1ty hardware is CRAP. i am not paying extra $50-100-200 for just the name.

now, as far as overclocking goes, sheesh, people, you think i am going to leave this stock?! haha. i am working on overclocking the videocard as we speak. i will leave the rest of the system stock, though. :D

oh, and as far as 7900 or 1900xtx goes, it wasn't out at the time.

i looked at the cooling solutions available for 1900xtx's, and none of them will work as well as what i have now, along the lines of keeping the case temperatures down. remember, this is a SFF box, and any sort of heat is not adviseable.

as far as 7900 goes, i hear Arctic Cooling NV cooler is not compatible with 7900GTX - so i am waiting for some more solid data on that. i may - or may not - upgrade the video card later on.

i did a test overclock of 7800gtx last night - using nVidia's Overclocking tab in the video control panel, it easily went (in automatic mode) to 513mhz GPU and 1.34ghz VRAM - this is up from an already factory-overclocked settings of 490mhz GPU and 1.3ghz VRAM.

i want absolute stability, and will find a nice overclock that'll be 100% stable over hours of gaming + low heat. i have a room of about 20C on the videocard - as in, my load temperatures is 60C, and it BSODs at 83C. there may even be enough room for a volt-mod, who knows. :D

Wow interesting, if changing to an aftermarket GPU cooling can improve case and cpu temps, I'm in!

VoBoy said:
Wow interesting, if changing to an aftermarket GPU cooling can improve case and cpu temps, I'm in!
with the stock cooler the hot air that was coming off of the video card was blown back into the case. this caused the ambient temperature to rise, which increased the GPU/CPU temperatures - vicious cycle. with the new cooler, the hot air is exhausted out of the case. this makes the air that's used to cool the videocard - and the CPU - cooler. also, it improves case airflow - approximately about 20cfm, judging by the volume of the air being exhausted by the GPU cooler.

so, so far, i am estimating that i have ~50cfm intake (3 low-speed panaflo fans - the 3rd fan is on the drive cage, and even though it's not touching the case, it's sitting close enough to the side to intake some air) and about ~40cfm exhaust (videocard, FX121, and PSU).

does anyone know WHY, exactly, Arctic Cooling NV 5 Rev 3 doesn't fit the 7900GTX? does it bump against some capacitor or something stupid like that? - or is it more serious, like holes not lining up or chips in a different place or something?...

codeflux said:
does anyone know WHY, exactly, Arctic Cooling NV 5 Rev 3 doesn't fit the 7900GTX? does it bump against some capacitor or something stupid like that? - or is it more serious, like holes not lining up or chips in a different place or something?...

I woudl guess its caps in the way. The mounting holes are the same, so thats all I can think of. They do have a different PCB layout. Most aftermarket coolers do work on it, smaller ones. But, full card waterblocks don't fit it either. It's got to be something in a different spot on the PCB that makes the large coolers not fit right.

i just sent an email to Arctic Cooling, let's see if they even bother ot answer. :D

Viper87227 said:
I woudl guess its caps in the way. The mounting holes are the same, so thats all I can think of. They do have a different PCB layout. Most aftermarket coolers do work on it, smaller ones. But, full card waterblocks don't fit it either. It's got to be something in a different spot on the PCB that makes the large coolers not fit right.
Dremel is my friend. if they tell me that it's just bumping a capacitor or something I'm going to cut it off. NO NOT THE CAPACITOR! the place in the cooler that makes it not fit. just grind the f.cker out until it fits. :D

"Detect Optimal Frequencies" just gave me 515mhz GPU & 1350mhz VRAM. i think i am going to let it burn in for a while at these speeds.

so far, the GPU temperature is up 2 degrees!!! 62C at high load. :D CPU at 48C, system at 36C. i'll let it toast.

BurntToast said:

the fan on the accelero sticks out like 1 or 2 inches over the side (top) of the card, this is NOT compatible with MOST SFF situations.

chameleoneel said:
the fan on the accelero sticks out like 1 or 2 inches over the side (top) of the card, this is NOT compatible with MOST SFF situations.
that's true, but that's not why i didn't go with Accelero. its design is such that the hot air is blown directly onto the motherboard. this would be a very bad thing in a small case with very moderate airflow.

yeah, but I was pointing out that you probably couldn't use it even if you wanted to. It wasn't an option for me when i built my Q-pack.

codeflux said:
It fits on a 7900GT after a little bit of modding :)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=174503
I'm also trying to find a way to remove more heat out of my SG01 and I also wanted to buy an Arctic Silencer. But I have no idea if this trick wil work on a 7600GT. :(

That orbital mod is a nice idea. I myself rarely use the front ports.
NV5R3 cooler was also a good idea. Venting heat out of the case for SFF is crucial.
I dremeled my cooler to fit the 7900GT.

Have you noticed much air turbulance with the PSU blowing out, and the Zalman blowing down?

I run IDLE
cpu 37, MB 37, PWR 35, HD 38 (cpu fan rpm 1437, psu fan 621)
room ambient is like 70

LOAD I turn the fans up more and run
cpu 47, MB 45, PWR 40, HD 40 (cpu fan rpm 1437, psu fan 700)

I swapped the stock Liberty PSU fan with a nexus, half the rpm's of stock.

Is the point of this thread that you spent $4,000 on a system? Is that good or bad?

The display is a nice touch.

the point is that his mousepad glows blue !

the cpu was $1k alone.
Haven't seen a $4k system since most items from Falcon Northwest and the $3k 486 dx2 66 PC from college.

NapalmDeath said:
the point is that his mousepad glows blue !
rofl! that's an old mod, custom. 5mm acrylic, blue leds, USB-powered. :D

i've been looking at eVGA's Micro-ATX SLI board... :eek:

That's pretty sweet man but damn, I just made a thread talking about how I need to spend less $$ on my pc but this make me want to. How are you temps in your SG01, and how is the sound, is it loud? Also, you should try and sell that 7800gtx in the FS/FT section, keep your artic silencer, and buy a XFX/eVGA 7900gt and put it on there, and oc the crap out of it. The Artic Silencer 5 rev3 fits the 7900gt.

Also, as far as ATi goes. I am getting a HIS IceQ x1900xt, which uses HIS' own custom Artic Silencer w/ copper heatpipes. It's pretty sweet. The cooler runs at about 20-25dba.

WOW! you have built ya self a real power house there bud. i like it.

i have recently bought parts and am waiting for delivery. i got the same board as you against the usual flow of people saying that you have to get the tforce etc.
what is the board like mate? there are not many good reviews on it yet.

Back