Project speeder: $4000: FX60, 7800GTX, SG01B

I'm interested in whether the 7900GTX and 7950GX2's fit in the SG01 also. thnx

Sure, I have a couple of pic's I took when I added the new Silverstone heatsink. I should have a shot of it with the 7900GTX in it as well. I'm at work at the moment so watch this space for future announcements. :)

-E

OK, here is a pic of the 7900GTX with my X-FI installed in the lone PCI slot of the SG01-EVO:

DSCF0003.jpg

There is almost two inches of clearance from the end of the card to the HDD cage. For my motherboard, the 7900 fits between the SATA 1 and 2 ports on the board.

-E

E, thank you for posting the pic! looks like half an inch at most, not 2 inches. and yes, getting the SATA connectors in may be a problem, especially in my case - i need 3 out of 4!... and if i used SATA DVD drive, i'd need all 4!...

p.s. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm GX2 quad-SLI..............

Thanks again for that pic. Good to know.

Whats the word on GX2's fitting? :)

I wonder how the new foxconn 6150M2MA-8EKRS2 will do as far as access to everything. Thats the board I'm waiting for.

codeflux said:
E, thank you for posting the pic! looks like half an inch at most, not 2 inches. and yes, getting the SATA connectors in may be a problem, especially in my case - i need 3 out of 4!... and if i used SATA DVD drive, i'd need all 4!...

p.s. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm GX2 quad-SLI..............
Um, I am using 3 out of 4 SATA ports. I have the PlexWriter SATA drive in there along with a 74Gb Raptor and a 400Gb YR SATA drive. ;)

-E

did you guys read the latest 7950 GX2 SLI review on hardocp.com? Need For Speed Most Wanted shows no performance incrase with quad-SLI. So, no quad-SLI for me.

I wasn't interested in the GX2 for quad really.. just as a performance alternative to 'regular' SLI at a good price point.

SooOoo... would still be of interest whether GX2 fits ... :cool:

It would prob hold me over till Vista/DX10 G80 etc.. etc...

as far as i know, GX2 is the same length as 7900GTX - so, presumably it will fit fine. the only difference between GX2 and 7900GTX SLI (or, in my case, 7800GTX SLI), is the noise - by using Arctic Silver NV5rev3, i am able to achieve excellent case temperatures (since they blow hot air out of the case) and very low noise levels. with GX2 this would not be an option, seeing how there are actually 2 cards, one next to another - not too permissive of using aftermarket cooling solutions.

codeflux said:
did you guys read the latest 7950 GX2 SLI review on hardocp.com? Need For Speed Most Wanted shows no performance incrase with quad-SLI. So, no quad-SLI for me.

you will not see any increase in performance UNTIL apps and games are actually written to TAKE ADVANTAGE of it. In other words, you can dump countless gpus and video rams into a single machine and it won't do squat for games out today.

Outrigger said:
you will not see any increase in performance UNTIL apps and games are actually written to TAKE ADVANTAGE of it. In other words, you can dump countless gpus and video rams into a single machine and it won't do squat for games out today.
my point exactly! just like there is no point using a 64-bit OS and running 32-bit apps on it.

I'm glad it is still going.. very useful info for my SFF build. Now if only the M2 motherboard I'm waiting for would be available for purchase I could get moving.

strangeness!

i i posted earlier, my CPU fan has been running at 100% (2700rpm) with the eVGA motherboard - haven't had a chance to install zalman fan controller yet.

my temperatures have been 44C idle, 50-52C load (depending on room temperature). before, with Foxconn it was 40C idle, 50C load.

strange, but who cares.

so, last night i reboot the box after uninstalling some monitoring software (HMonitor and SpeedFan), and my temperatures are now 34C idle 40C+ (haven't had a chance to torture it yet) load. btw, i'm using MBM5 with custom nForce4 config file to read the temps.

woohoo. ;)

codeflux said:
strangeness!

i i posted earlier, my CPU fan has been running at 100% (2700rpm) with the eVGA motherboard - haven't had a chance to install zalman fan controller yet.

my temperatures have been 44C idle, 50-52C load (depending on room temperature). before, with Foxconn it was 40C idle, 50C load.

strange, but who cares.

so, last night i reboot the box after uninstalling some monitoring software (HMonitor and SpeedFan), and my temperatures are now 34C idle 40C+ (haven't had a chance to torture it yet) load. btw, i'm using MBM5 with custom nForce4 config file to read the temps.

woohoo. ;)

Are you using the evga sli board? if thats the case you are monitoring temps using mbm5? would you be able to send me the same config file? I'm using the same board but I think speedfan is giving me the wrong temps, I can't tell which is the nb temp and which is the sys temp and which is the cpu temp. only thing I'm positive are the hdd temps.

If you want the NF4 config files for MBM5, PM me your email addy, and I'll email them over.

codeflux could you tell me the model of the matrix orbital vfd you used as here in the uk there are many as i would like to do the same sort of thing with my sg-01e. Also i to am thinking of getting the evga board as i was looking at the MSI K8NGM2-FID but am not sure if it is any good as their is not info about it. If i was to use the evga i was going to only use two INN 3D 7600gst clooked to gpu 600mhz and 760 (1.52ghz)

pijje1 said:
codeflux could you tell me the model of the matrix orbital vfd you used as here in the uk there are many as i would like to do the same sort of thing with my sg-01e. Also i to am thinking of getting the evga board as i was looking at the MSI K8NGM2-FID but am not sure if it is any good as their is not info about it. If i was to use the evga i was going to only use two INN 3D 7600gst clooked to gpu 600mhz and 760 (1.52ghz)
i used VK202-24-USB - some modifications required. :)

i'm pretty happy with the eVGA board.

codeflux said:
there was a little thing with my FX60 CPU you guys might have missed.

when i got the CPU box... it looks all intact, but rattles a bit... i open it to find that the heatsink came loose, and SMASHED everything inside. think "bull in a china store" situation here.

the CPU is out of its little plastic box, sitting loose. some of the pins are bent. the heatsink fan has pieces of green padding stuck in it. it is a complete mess.

i straightened up the pins, and tried fitting the CPU into the socket - it fits fine. further testing showed that it indeed works just fine, although getting the CPU cooler cleaned from all this green stuff would be time-consuming - good thing i am not using the stock cooler.

the CPU has been working trouble-free for over a month now. but memory of seeing it covered in green dust that used to be protecting it still giving me nervous giggles.

My 4400+ arrived the same way when I got it back in July. Luckily, it's been working fine.

too bad 8800GTX won't fit in this case.

now, the $500 question is - will a single 8800GTS be faster than my 7800GTX SLI?... things to consider - i only game in 1920x1200, with maxed out quality settings.

Sexy ass PC. I just build a new rig in that case and I love it. You did excellent for the time period it was built.

codeflux said:
too bad 8800GTX won't fit in this case.

now, the $500 question is - will a single 8800GTS be faster than my 7800GTX SLI?... things to consider - i only game in 1920x1200, with maxed out quality settings.
I will humor you... no, not even close. Look at some benchmarks.

sleepeeg3 said:
I will humor you... no, not even close. Look at some benchmarks.
i have been trying to find benchmarks. it's very difficult to find something that can let me compare apples to apples... details would be appreciated, and spare me the sarcasm. ;)

quique55 said:
A gem of a tool as I found! Was looking for benchies myself and this is a good start. Wish they updated it with newer games.
HOLY CRAP this is the one most useful application i found to answer all my questions about video card performance! thank you very much for posting this!!!

yes, 8800gts edges out 7800gtx-sli in all cases that matter. high-res, high-AA/AF. well, looks like i'll be ordering 8800GTS in a minute.

/edit ordered BFG 8800GTS from newegg. :D will sell the 7800GTX's on ebay. will test-fit second 8800GTS for SLI setup. ;)

yey it's just been delivered. i am gonna try to fit arctic cooling NV5rev3 on it.

good god 8800GTS rules!!!

so, 3dmarks showed very little improvement - '06 showed 8800 on 8800GTS vs. 8200 on 7800GTX SLI. but gameplay... wow. NFS Carbon RULES!!! i am able to play at 1600x1200 at MAX settings, with all eye candy, AA/AF, etc etc etc. my old setup is getting WALKED ON. i am also able to overclock 8800GTS with a very conservative overclock of 600/900 (600/1800).

so, i started pulling the VRAM heatsink off of one of my 7800GTX cards, to replace the heatspreader that I modified, so i could sell it... POP! one of the RAM chip got ripped out of the board... and it was held with 3M thermal tape!... man... so i may as well throw away one of the video cards. pics to follow.

oh, btw, 2 8800GTS's will fit in my case - i'm buying the second one soon, to run 8800GTS SLI. :D /edit $20 rebate on the card on newegg! woohoo. ordered second one.

yes, pics will be posted. :)

Miami_Fly_Guy said:
what the heck do you do where you can afford all this stuff?

(im a broke student lol)
i'm independently wealthy. well, ok, i'm not, but one day i may be. meanwhile - i have a job. Programming jobs pay fairly well in California. :D

so........... 8800 GTS SLI is cool... but it's being bottlenecked by my CPU/mobo. in a MAJOR way. 3dmark improvement is marginal (from 8811 @ 600/850 single card to 9636 stock SLI). yes, the CPU is now a major bottleneck, as i should have got at least 12k-13k from 8800GTS SLI. NFS Carbon actually showed a DROP in performance!... well, it was worth a try. i may have modded myself into a corner with this micro-atx case, but i still love it.

and with the SLI i am no longer able to O/C the cards, since the second card is too close to the first one to provide sufficient cooling.

so, if anyone wants to buy a brand-new tested-and-guaranteed BFG 8800GTS (with a BFG tee-shirt in tow), let me know - i paid $489 shipped on newegg ($450 for the card) - i will let it go for $450 shipped anywhere in the U.S.

sigh... no C2D microATX boards out yet... :(

They need to come out with a C2D SLI mobo... I would go back to my micro fly just to use it :D

Wow, I never thought I would see this system hit a bottleneck :p

It's too bad you can't get a better CPU, haha. I guess GPU tech is just ahead of CPU tech right now...

^^^ never mind. sold it on ebay. still lost money on it, but not as much as i would have if i sold it here. people on the forums are cheap. :D

I dont get your sig or you comments at all. 3DMark06 never shows a huge improvement in SLI, even on a Core2. What are you talking about that you are "bottlenecked"???

I have an 8800GTX with a mildly o'c FX-60 (2.8) and it was a HUGE improvement from my X1900XTX. I recently went SLI and I am seeing another noticeable improvement and am now able to turn on max AA/AF at 1280 (thats my res) and keep the minimum framerate nice and high.

What do you do with your PC besides run benchmarks? I've seen clear framerate improvements going GTX SLI in FEAR , Prey and CoH. Would a C2 E6700 or above be faster still? Sure... But if adding more GPU power in a game that supports it improves framerates, then the CPU is *not* a "bottleneck".

It seems this term is getting abuse a lot on these forums. Bottleneck doesnt mean you couldnt get a MORE dramatic improvement by changing the part, bottleneck means you cant get ANY improvement unless you change it.

In FEAR at 1280 I went from 90fps avg with ugly dips and no AA/AF with the X1900XTX to 106fps WITH AA/AF and much better/fewer dips with 8800GTX and finally to 145fps with AA/AF in SLI. So clearly the CPU was not a bottleneck and FEAR needed more GPU.

Back