Project speeder: $4000: FX60, 7800GTX, SG01B

codeflux said:
...fast video card (quit whining that it's not an SLI or 7900 GX2)....

im not whining about it not being 7900gx2 im whining about you not using a 90nm process! its cheaper, and performs better. Nvidia used something like 20 million less transistors without losing a process (7800 to 7900) shoulda gone with a 7900gtx.

jeesus, people, let it go! when i built the box, 7900 WAS NOT EVEN OUT YET!!!

temperatures are very nice - ~40C idle (cpu & gpu), 49C load CPU, 52 load GPU.

very quiet. a lot more quiet than my previous w/c rig with low-speed 120mm and 80mm fans at 7V.

i love your comp man, looks pretty tight, but then again that is why it it matx :D wish i coudl make one right now but only 15 so :( got to wait a bit

codeflux said:
jeesus, people, let it go! when i built the box, 7900 WAS NOT EVEN OUT YET!!!

temperatures are very nice - ~40C idle (cpu & gpu), 49C load CPU, 52 load GPU.

very quiet. a lot more quiet than my previous w/c rig with low-speed 120mm and 80mm fans at 7V.

i just got a 7800gtx too and i love it. exact same as the 7900gt anyway, and a helluva lot cooler than an x1800 or x1900 series.

Seems this board too (like other nForce4 boards) has problems with SATA II drives in RAID... (raid0 in my case). I was experiencing RAID falling apart (mirror degraded), transfer rate dropping, RAID hanging, PC hanging, etc. etc. etc. No data corruption, thank god...

So, I ended up specifying that it uses SATA I, instead of whatever BIOS will dictate (SATA II in my case - SATA II 3.0gb drives on a supposedly SATA II controller). So far so good - no problems...

Hi,

I have this case and that orbital display looks great. Could you take a close up shot of it so I can see how well it blends with the case?

Thanks.

I JUST got this case yesterday.... My first small case to work on, and damn, the wiring sucks even with a modular PSU.. But I LOVED IT!!!!!

:D

codeflux: why didn't you use a 7900g....... :) kiddin', just kiddin'

Seriously though, I've had the SG01 for about 3 weeks now and I'm just now getting down to building it out when I stumbled upon your thread.

AWESOME work here. Props to you on your component selection, custom mods and just in general for engineering a system that looks great and functions even better!

Now, can I steal your ideas? It's the best form of flattery or something like that :)

For my components I've choosen a DFI RS482 MB paired with a very cool running Opty 165 that loves to run at 2.7GHz on stock volts. I orginally got the Silverstone heatsink intending to run it passive but I just don't think that's going to go over well. I'm going to order the heatsink you use tonight just in case.

I'm only using this system for a Home Theater PC (my main rig is a water cooled CF 1900 system) so I got the Asus Silent ATI 1600XT card that's passively cooled for noise benefits.

NOW, my question. Could you please post a close up of the dynamat solution for the little cage fan thingie (FX121 I think. I got it too) and/or post a description of how you "dynamatted the hell out of it".

Thanks for the inspiration (though I doubt I will do as well as you have) and keep us updated on any new stuff.

to all you haters - i just bought another identical 7800gtx ($375 shipped on ebay - beat that!) + another NV5R3 cooler and eVGA microATX SLI motherboard (discussed here). going SLI, baby!

as far as some last requests/comments, i'll try to address them when i have more time. :D

codeflux said:
to all you haters - i just bought another identical 7800gtx ($375 shipped on ebay - beat that!) + another NV5R3 cooler and eVGA microATX SLI motherboard (discussed here). going SLI, baby!:D

For those with money, I guess they can do whatever they want as long as they buy happiness.

Haha, freddy sounds jealous :p

The thought of TWO 7800GTXs in a SG-01 is scary. I am going to go hide now, so your computer does not eat me...

freddy418 said:
For those with money, I guess they can do whatever they want as long as they buy happiness.
just for you, freddy, i am going to RMA my two 500GB drives to newegg and get two 750GB ones. :D

codeflux....

I just finished building an almost identical system (to your newly upgraded SLi) minus the FX and PSU and replace with an opteron 170 and Silverstone Strider 600W modular. (same case, motherboard, vid cards).

Nice work you've done...

Just be aware that the eVGA motherboard does not take too friendly to 1T timings for some reason... I'm still reading more into it...

Good work though.

hey blitz hows the SS psu fit in the case?.. any pics? thats the psu im thinkin about getting for the sg01

The silverstone PSU is a VERY tight fit... its right against the DVD ROM... I am on my laptop at the moment on campus, but I'll make a thread with my build when I get home in about 2 hours.

BLiTzKRiEG said:
Just be aware that the eVGA motherboard does not take too friendly to 1T timings for some reason... I'm still reading more into it...
yes, i saw that. actually, i played with memory timings and ran some benches. there was VERY LITTLE difference between 2.5-3-3-7-1T and 3-3-3-8-2T. so, i set it to 3-3-3-8 and 2T and left it alone. i'll take stability any day over extra 2-3fps. i keep the box on 24x7, and i don't need to deal with hang-ups or reboots.

got the parts in (SLI microatx mobo, 7800, and nv5rev3)

the motherboard is possibly the meanest microATX board i ever laid my eyes on. also, the most poorly packaged piece of hardware (besides the FX-60 - see on earlier pages) i've ever received. it was in an antistatic bag, in a box about twice its size, with no padding. the stuff that came with it was in a zip-lock back, sitting loose also. i bet it got banged up quite a bit, but i saw no damage to it. i guess testing will tell.

this weekend will try to switch the boards, and add the second videocard.

According to several newegg reviews, the enermax powersupply sometimes arrives DOA, and other times after weeks/months dies (sometimes taking other hadware with it apparently).

Have you had any issues with your power supply or heard of anyone else having issues with it?

I'm trying to decide which PSU to get. I was looking at the enermax liberty you used in your rig, and also looking at the ULTRA 550w.

Thanks.

Any thoughts on some of the higher watt PSU's on newegg such as these or others?..

SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 750W Power Supply 90 - 264V OCP,OVP,SCP,NLO - Retail
Model#: SST-ST75ZF Item#: N82E16817256006 Price: $209.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256006

----------------------------------------------------------------

AeroCool ZERODBA ZERODBA-S620 EPS 12V & ATX 12V 2.02 compliant with Powerful Dual +12V Rails 620W Power Supply 100-120V/200-240V IP,OVP OPP,SCP - Retail
Model#: ZERODBA-S620 Item#: N82E16817331002 Price: $118.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817331002

codeflux said:
got the parts in (SLI microatx mobo, 7800, and nv5rev3)

the motherboard is possibly the meanest microATX board i ever laid my eyes on. also, the most poorly packaged piece of hardware (besides the FX-60 - see on earlier pages) i've ever received. it was in an antistatic bag, in a box about twice its size, with no padding. the stuff that came with it was in a zip-lock back, sitting loose also. i bet it got banged up quite a bit, but i saw no damage to it. i guess testing will tell.

this weekend will try to switch the boards, and add the second videocard.

Mine arrived the exact same way... I am awaiting for some updated bios as eVGA finally recognized this board as their own on their site and are finally gonna offer support for it. Hopefully the 1T issue is fixed in the next bios update as thats a 10% performance hit.

ok, i am now running in SLI. :D

it was complete hell - trying to get the two of NV5rev3 to fit on a microatx board - the slots are too close to each other, and i had to do some creative cutting of the plastic shroud of the inside cooler.

first off, the retaining pins of the outside card were in the way, and i had to drill 3 holes in the inside cooler to let them recess. i also had to shave down the top of the inside fan (which melted a little and lost its center - but it still works fine and i notice no vibrations). then, the fan was touching a side of the outside card's ram heat spreader - had to shave the off as well. right now the cards are not exactly parallel - there is still not enough room - but the SLI bridge fits, and keeps them clamped to each other. i will have to do a little bit more thinking, as if the cards are sqeezed together, the inside fan can still hit the outside card and make a horrid noise.

hard to describe - i will post pics later. i spent at least 2 hours cutting and recutting and must have installed and reinstalled the cards about 50 times. the trick is to try to install both cards at the same time - otherwise it's a lot more difficult to insert. thank got this motherboard does not have the locks on the PCIx slots, otherwise i'd be in trouble.

but in the end it all works. the cards get a bit hotter than before - with temperatures reaching 70C. but no problems, and with the top fan blowing cold air down at the cooler fans, the temperature is quite managable - and it's very quiet too.

i did lose the Q-Fan control in the BIOS - so the CPU fan is at full tilt (~3k rpm) - which is a bit noisy. strangely, my CPU temperature went up 3C - 44C at idle, 50C at load. i may have to reseat the CPU cooler... might even try that funky new liquid metal thermal paste.

i think i must have mis-seated the video card heatsink on one of the card (and nvidia control panel shows you greater temperature of the two) - 'cause now my GPU temps max out at around 60 - just like it was. this is 3 instances of rthdribl running.

ether that, or maybe setting 16AA and 4AF (instead of 4AA and 16AF) was a bit too much for the cards. damn nVidia for swapping places of those two settings in their new control panel! :) i was wonder why it was hiccuping at 4xAA... turned out i was running at 16xAA. in HL2 was decently playable!!!

Thats a mean machine. I'm about to order all the parts for my SFF rig. The 4400+ AM2 cpu I was waiting for is out now, but I am still waiting on the availability of M2 boards.

I was leaning toward the Foxconn 6150M2MA-8EKRS2, but all your SLI talk has me wondering if I should buy an SLI capable board like the C51XEM2AA instead for future expansion. The other plus is the C51XEM2AA is actually in stock :p

Neoseeker C51XEM2AA review

I guess I want your opinion on whether to get an SLI board since you ended up going SLI in the long run, as well as your opinion of that specific board in regards to reviews of it since you have the experience to judge it better than me.

elvn, if you're not building a SFF box, i would go for single 7950 GX2 for video - in which case, any PCIe motherboard will do, pending your choice of the CPU socket.

otherwise, my Foxconn is for sale. i will probably put it up on ebay, but if you (or someone) call dibs, we can do it that way.

Sorry for some reason I thought the C51 was a micro ATX sli board. :eek: silly me.

I'm just shopping around for a good micro atx board and liked the Foxconn 6150M2MA-8EKRS2 review I read. Later I began considering whether I should get a newer SLI M2 board instead, for upgradability.

Its funny you mention it because I was going to ask you about the GX2's next. :p

I want to build a SG01 SFF that I can lug around with the SUGO bag, both to other areas of my house and to other houses. Its going to be used for high-end gaming but not necessarily SLI at first. I also do graphics work and will be using it for some htpc functionality.

I researched a bunch of parts but keep updating my shopping list. I want to get an AM2 4400+ but haven't decided on the M2 motherboard yet, or the video card though originally I had the eVGA Geforce 7900GTX 512MB written down.

The GX2's seem like good performance for a similar amount of cash, will they not fit in the SG01?

elvn said:
The GX2's seem like good performance for a similar amount of cash, will they not fit in the SG01?
7900GTX512 will not fit - too long. the hard drive caddy will be in the way. i have yet to confirm whether GX2 will fit. find me dimensions of 7800GTX256 and of GX2 and i will tell you if it'll fit or not. in fact, if GX2 fits, i may consider QUAD-SLI. :D

chemist_slime said:
The 7950 is longer than the 7800GTX512 and the 7900GTX
... and those are longer than 7800GTX, which already seats just half an inch away from the HD caddy. so, no luck. well, w/e. at least my PC is tiny and i can still lift it and move it around with one hand, if i grab onto that long bracket on top of it (with the cover off). i'm gonna guess that an owner of 7950+ would be less fortunate in that department.

Yeah, portability is important for me.

I want to be able to bring my SFF into my sunlit front/living room area, bring it down into my basement entertainment room/center, and even be able to pack it up to bring to my other work environment's desks. I've decided to spend money on one pc instead of trying to keep three in various levels of performance with upgrade purchases, replacements and 'trickle-down'.

A sugo bag + wireless keyboard, and perhaps a carrying case for an lcd monitor is alot more reasonable and far less conspicuous than lugging around a tower pc in my opinion ;)

elvn said:
A sugo bag + wireless keyboard, and perhaps a carrying case for an lcd monitor is alot more reasonable and far less conspicuous than lugging around a tower pc in my opinion ;)
indeed! :) i also have the SUGO bag. wanna buy mine? i don't really need it.

elvn said:
According to several newegg reviews, the enermax powersupply sometimes arrives DOA, and other times after weeks/months dies (sometimes taking other hadware with it apparently).

Have you had any issues with your power supply or heard of anyone else having issues with it?

I'm trying to decide which PSU to get. I was looking at the enermax liberty you used in your rig, and also looking at the ULTRA 550w.

Thanks.

ok, to answer this question.

I have had 3 enermax 600 watt noisetakers, 1 in a 2800 rig and another in an old rig, the one in the old rig killed or partially destroyed, a amd 4400 cpu 1 7800gtx, a a8n sli deluxe modo and whatever else it probably mangled, also a shitload of usb devices, this was from new also, but i got the rig replaced and i have a new 600 enermax psu in it and its perfect, so i would agree that some enermax psu's are faulty from the get go.

codeflux said:
7900GTX512 will not fit - too long. the hard drive caddy will be in the way. i have yet to confirm whether GX2 will fit. find me dimensions of 7800GTX256 and of GX2 and i will tell you if it'll fit or not. in fact, if GX2 fits, i may consider QUAD-SLI. :D
I'm confused. Why won't a 7900GTX fit in an SG01? I am currently running that exact setup without issue. Is it something specific with eVGA?

-E

MrE said:
I'm confused. Why won't a 7900GTX fit in an SG01? I am currently running that exact setup without issue. Is it something specific with eVGA?
oh REALLY?!?! excellent. first report!

so, 7900GTX fits in SG01 - great.

now, will 7950 GX2 fit it?... ;)

MrE said:

-E

could you post a pic, I'm interested also and want to get an idea of how much room is available...

Back