Recommended upgrade *guide*

CleanSlate said:
noodle you look for a full review of mid-stream cards with all 6600/gt/x600/x700 cards with all their 3dmarks in it. It took me a good hour JUST to compile what I had, I musta looked through a hundred sites.... www.yahoo.com search my friend. If you find one I'll eat my sock and then delete the thread, lest it was made after the thread was finished.

~Adam

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1648600,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532 found that one that compares the two ATI's and the 6600GT in about 30 seconds.

http://www.firingsquad.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Hardware&fs_article_id=1566

That one even compares 6 midrange cards... Just gotta know which search terms to use I guess.

It compares only the 6600/gt and the x700/pro... can you read? Read my... no you know what just stop posting here, please. I'm not responding to your stupidity again.

~Adam

Theres that unjustified condecending attitude again. You should really work on that or you'll never get far in life. :eek:

I can read clearly. The comparison of the 6600 in that review is moot because its obvious that a non-GT is going to be inferior to a GT. You looked to show us the obvious, when what people need is the subtle differences between cards like individual manufacturers, variants on reference design, and comparing cards whos differences are less obvious, like comparing the 9800pro to the 6600GT. Having 6 very different options is more important than having basically duplicate options in the same test, but with different setups to benchmark them. Yeah... I'll benchmark my 6800 on my 2.53 machine with single channel ram and see how it fares against my 9800 pro on my 3.0E machine with dual channel ram. Thats why you had blanks where scores should have been. Thats a terribly useless comparison since its only half there. I'd rather have the complete ones that include exact benchmarks from all cards, not approximations from some.

Perhaps you should ask one of the other people with guides for some advice on how to make this one less subjective, haphazard and adjective-dependant.

Awesome thread. I had one just like this back in the day when I frequent these forums. Awesome work CleanSlate. Keep it updated. I used to update mine every month, until the forum upgrade killed it.

thank you, you helped me pick my new card, much love. CleanSlate for mod!1111!1!1 :p

jon67 said:
Moderator: May I suggest a 3-posts-per-day max limit for noodle guy ;)

lol no joke he has 25/day o.o

Edit: oh come on I was kidding, besides I have read some of them, they aren't spam. And I like my o.o so there.

~Adam

And? Whats your point? Did you read any of them? Maybe you should read the thanks I got from helping people instead of bitching about the numbers of posts. o.o ???? use real words or the real emoticons and get a life man. You're incredibly immature for complaining about the number of posts someone has. Its the quality of them not the quantity that matters. Maybe you should taddle on yourself for trying to be a nuissance to forum users like me. Do you even read your own posts? They're mostly useless agreeing with people as you quote them or one liners.

IF you were joking why would you say "no joke?"

As much criticism as you may receive, thanks for the guide/pricelist/however you want to call it.

I use to be on top of all this stuff 3-4 years ago but haven't kept up since, and now that I'm looking to upgrade from my current video card, this thread was a good place to start.

There are many many video cards out there, and as much as this might be a pricelist (although I'm not saying it is), it still brought to the forefront some of the key cards that I should be considering. I know there are a lot more cards out there than what was just presented, and the poster, as well as some of the helpful feedback, has already let me know which cards I should focus on/consider more.

I also recall a very similar post to this one 2 years back... but I could be imagining things.

Thanks for the work :)

Yo noodle...
Your words just seep with jealousy.
Listen, if you don't like this one so much, go churn your own guide out in your 30 seconds. No need to flame him. Have you ever put 4-5 hours of your time aside to make a helpful post? And don't call him immature with that name of yours.
I think I speak for most of us here... stfu. No hard feelings.

On a general note, does anyone find it incredible that the 9700pro, two years old by now, the first full DX9 card out there, is on this list!? ATi needs that spirit again.

krizzle said:
On a general note, does anyone find it incredible that the 9700pro is on this list!?

I completely agree. I couldn't believe it myself.

~Adam

Only another 5 hours of work per web site per MONTH ( every time updates happen, pfft.) :rolleyes:. If you want to do it, go on ahead and I'll get a mod to put your comment under mine in the first page, other than that... It won't happen.

~Adam

Updated the 6800gt price from $404 to $388 thanks to the hotdeals section!

~Adam

The 9800xt's are so expensive and don't have the performance to back it up as compared to the 6600gt. The price/performance ratio is just bad, so no, sorry.

~Adam

Updated a few sections because I read a few reviews and knocked some of the cards out like the X300 and the X600 series.

~Adam

there is one group of upgraders you are ignoring... those who have really crappy machines and want *something* resembling performance out of them.

like me... i have a cheap $#!* emachines at home. it's not my main rig (anymore) but i would like to put something in there better than intel extremely$#!*ty graphics 2. trouble is, the mobo has no agp slots- only pci.

so i would like to see a pci gfx card section here. i know that pretty much anything agp8x will totally pwn anything pci, but i still would like to see them here.

CleanSlate said:
Did that help?

StarHawk, did my pci suggestions give you a good view of the market for pci cards ATM? I added it in the 110 and under section.

~Adam

Just to let you know that the Radeon 9200 and the 9250 (128-bit and 128MB) are exactly the same with a slight underclock on the 9250 to take care of peoples heat and artifact issues.

Half Life 2 @ 1024*768 with anistropic with work at around 20 -30 fps depending on other hardware. I'd say that's not bad considering how cheap these cards are getting... Further, the 9550 and 9600 (non XT) are barely any better and cost anywhere from $20-$50 more. Not worth it at all.

So basically a 9200 is an excellent deal for someone who is not seriously into their FPS's. You'd have to pay more than twice the price of a 9200 to get anything substancially better.

Unfortunately the 9200's at newegg are about 93 + shipping so the 9250 is the only choice there.

~Adam

My first and only graphics card was a 9600XT 256mb edition by Xtasy. Nice card works on HL2, Far Cry, UT2004, BF:V, etc. On HL2 I can play on liek all the highest settings except the filtering and stuff. But as far as textures, models, etc. it works great. That's also b/c of the 256mb of ram. It takes up the slack in the GPU. I OCed it from 500/300 to 570/310. I get about 50-80fps in CS:S and HL2. But I would recomend getting a better card now since prices dropped a bit. 9800pro is not only $23 more wher eit was $100 more when I bought my 9600XT. ANd the 6600 gt is just a bit mroe the the 9800pro. I suggest the 6600gt if you can get it. Thats what I'm planning on getting or a 6800 if I can afford it. Doubt I can :'(

***Will LAN for parts***

Added a non-gamer section, basically the cheapest card that can do decent hz at decent resolutions which happened to be an MX4000.

~Adam

Full update, added X800 VIVO, and X800XL. As well as found alot of cheaper prices, the 9800 pro was knocked out in a surprising 6600gt showing in the $210 and under section.

It was an interesting update :).

Damn it the X850 is too expensive to make the list, I made a mistake, mistook the X800 XT VIVO for an X850 :(.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
Full update, added X800 VIVO, X800XL, and X850XT VIVO. As well as found alot of cheaper prices, the 9800 pro was knocked out in a surprising 6600gt showing in the $210 and under section.

It was an interesting update :).

~Adam

The Radeon x700 PRO from Sapphire is $165, cheaper than the 6600GT you have listed there and similar performance :)

PerfectCr said:
The Radeon x700 PRO from Sapphire is $165, cheaper than the 6600GT you have listed there and similar performance :)

Show me benchies to prove that it's similar performance because my impression was that the X700xt got beat by a decent margin.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
the 9800 pro was knocked out in a surprising 6600gt showing in the $210 and under section.

Watch out for ATI snipers in the near future... :)

I see that 9800 Pro still occupies the "best budget video card" spot at MaximumPC. As long as people buy it for $200 the price will remain.

PerfectCr said:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2297&p=2

The 6600GT still wins, most are close, except for Doom 3. However the X700 PRO can be had for 165. Cheapest 6600GT is $184 at Newegg.

184/165=~1.115, that's about 11.5% increase... Hmm if you average the % increase/decrease you'll find that the X700pro is about 20% weaker than the 6600gt which means that if you buy the X700pro for that price you'll be getting a 10% price rip-off as compared to the price/performance ratio of the 6600gt.

If that's what you want, then go ahead and buy it but I certainly won't be recommending such a card until the price/performance ratio increases compared to its direct competition.

Thanks for trying though

~Adam

jon67 said:
Watch out for ATI snipers in the near future... :)

I see that 9800 Pro still occupies the "best budget video card" spot at MaximumPC. As long as people buy it for $200 the price will remain.

People would be rather unwise to make such a buy IMHO. The 6600gt destroys the 9800pro in all but one game that I've seen and that game (if memory serves me correctly) was a no-name star trek game.

www.hardocp.com check the 6600gt reviews and you'll understand :).

~Adam

Thanxalot Adam, but I've already read all 6600GT reviews around and know how it performs vs 9800 Pro and other cards. Still, as I have previously pointed out in another thread, there are people around that actually buy video cards based on other considerations than performance in the latest games.

What other considerations are you speaking of? It's hard for me to make points against a ghost point, refered to so... implicetly.

~Adam

Back