Recommended upgrade *guide*

Thanks for the post, this helps. I need to dump my 5200 and get something solid (for my second machine)

If you can find a reasonably priced pci 5600 at newegg.com please feel free to post the link and I'll add it to the list.

~Adam

jon67 said:
Thanxalot Adam, but I've already read all 6600GT reviews around and know how it performs vs 9800 Pro and other cards. Still, as I have previously pointed out in another thread, there are people around that actually buy video cards based on other considerations than performance in the latest games.

Let us visit your flawed logic:

1. It was once the best card around.

This has little bearing on today's choices.

2. It has two years of field-proven reliability.

I can see what you're trying to portray here but there are no reasons to doubt the stability nor reliability of the 6600gt.

3. It has two years of building a good reputation. Only one year ago enthusiasts were still crazy about this card.

Yes and sheep ussually follow long after trying to buy comparetively rip-off cards that once were considered nearly top-of-the-line but that's no reason to condone it.

4. It used to cost $400, now it's less than $200.
That has NO bearing on the present day situations. That's like saying an Apple IIc used to cost $4000 but now you can buy one for $5 at a garage sale so everyone would be right in buying one.

After considering your points they really have no bearing on the present situation and the 6600gt reigns ATM and for great reason.

You seem to be afraid of moving foreward with progress, we all know such staunch stances on progress never helped anything.

~Adam

If by field proven reliability you mean that the BBATI fan will fall off and let the card melt itself then you must also think Ford's are the pinnacle of reliability, especially the ones with Firestone tires on them.

Oh my fucking god is there some kind of hidden text in my posts? I simply pointed out a few psychological factors that affect people's choices when buying stuff (not only vid cards), and they apply whether you and I like it or not, the ad agencies know these factors very well and use them for what they're worth.

If you had read that post carefully you should have understood that my opinion is "I don't understand why people would buy anything but the best card, but here are some factors that can explain why".

Let us visit your flawed logic:
Go visit a science theory class and learn about logic.

This has little bearing on today's choices.
I don't think you are an intercontinental spokesman for all people buying video cards.

I can see what you're trying to portray here but there are no reasons to doubt the stability nor reliability of the 6600gt
I do not doubt it, in fact I didn't even mention the 6600GT.

sheep ussually follow long after trying to buy comparetively rip-off cards that once were considered nearly top-of-the-line but that's no reason to condone it
You obviously agree with me that this is a fact, good! But wait, you're also implying that I condone this behaviour, well I don't, so another "F" for you. And it is not nice (or smart) of you to label potential readers of your upgrade guide as "sheep".

After considering your points they really have no bearing on the present situation and the 6600gt reigns ATM and for great reason.
Well thanks for considering my points Adam, but it doesn't really change anything in the real world :) And I agree, the 6600GT reigns all ATMs, and is also better than the ATI 9800Pro.

You seem to be afraid of moving foreward with progress, we all know such staunch stances on progress never helped anything.
At least I know, I've got many years of experience from a highly competitive and profit-driven R&D environment. When you finish college and apply for real jobs you'll soon enough learn to adjust your condescending attitude ;)

I'm sorry that I assumed you were just another lamer, I'm sure you'll understand, there are plenty out there. No excuse to not read carefully though, again I apologize.

~Adam

Here's the deal, I think my setup is gettin ragedy as a MoFo. It's about time to hang up the old 1.4 T-bird and my Leadtek GeForce4 4400128mb(<----I'll miss you guys...) and my SDRAM(<---I'll send you a post card fromm DDR land...maybe). But I am having a hell of a time deciding wether or not to get another AGP or a PCI-express card. I'm thinkin about a Leadtek FX 6600GT but i really want a 256mb Leadtek 6800GT(they're pretty) but sure as hell not paying $480. Am I sacraficing too much, will I really notice? I mostly will use it for gaming and my new rig will have at least a 1G PC 3200 and a A64 3000+ or 3200+.
I think I'm just paraniod with a few Craptacular pci-express mother boards floating around Now I'm not worried about going SLI yet so I'm gonna pick a strong single PCX board to start with. Should I hold out on the 6800 untill SLI isn't as buggy and is more cost efficient? I think the 6600GT's rate good around here, One thing that is important to me as a buyer is that I stick to leadtek. This 4400 has been one hell of a card, and if AGP is still all that good I may just get a new AGP board and throw this puppy in! But PCI express is looking tasty and I cant wait much longer to do a much needed overhaul on this baby!

I pre aplogize because I am sure that this question had already some up, but im on bloody dial up and rolling through hundreds of pages isnt in the cards for me. Here goes

PCI express. I see that a lot of cards are PCI-X if I got one and ran it on a PCI slot would I lose performance or can it even be done?

SignalSoldier said:
I pre aplogize because I am sure that this question had already some up, but im on bloody dial up and rolling through hundreds of pages isnt in the cards for me. Here goes

PCI express. I see that a lot of cards are PCI-X if I got one and ran it on a PCI slot would I lose performance or can it even be done?

PCI-Express and PCI are not compatable. The slots for the cards are physically different, and they won't fit.

Also, just be aware that PCI-X cards are not the same as PCI-Express or PCI, either. PCI-X is an obscure interface that is different from either one. You shouldn't abbreviate PCI-Express as PCI-X for that reason, since PCI-X is actually a completely different product.

I get the feeling that none of you read the first page, the upgrade guide isn't all 5 pages, it's the first two posts on the first page of this sticky.

~Adam

CastleBravo said:
PCI-Express and PCI are not compatable. The slots for the cards are physically different, and they won't fit.

Also, just be aware that PCI-X cards are not the same as PCI-Express or PCI, either. PCI-X is an obscure interface that is different from either one. You shouldn't abbreviate PCI-Express as PCI-X for that reason, since PCI-X is actually a completely different product.

oooooooooooooooooooohhh... i didn't know that... what's PCI-X then? (pm me with the info if you don't want to gunk up the thread)

CleanSlate said:
For non-gamers The MX4000 is just fine.

~Adam

Yeah, but non-gamers might want to save themselves a few dollars... When I say the MX4000 and the Radeon9100 are hacks, I mean they are MX400 and Radeon8500 respectively under a new name. Identical to their previously released versions. The deal is that the older cards can now be picked up for peanuts, even second hand for free.

Can somebody who has that ATI 9250 or whatever it is for 100 bucks do a system benchmark in HL2 framerate with everything full except no AA and vert sync on. Thanks, I am thinking about buying it and looking to how worth it would be to get.

No, I actually have a 2.0 Celeron and 933mhz P3 with that intergrated garbage and that pci card looks promising. Any thoughts?

No I highly doubt it'd run HL2 at anything higher than 25fps but I can't find any benches... D3 runs at 17fps on the 9250 even OCed in 640by480

~Adam

Wow, thats terrible, what a disappointment, I was trying to drop one of those in maybe for a last ditch effort with some oem systems i have.

Yea the 9250 certainly isn't a gamer's card. I suggest getting a 9600 pro at least to play HL2 but I'm sure someone somewhere says a 9600 np would run it ok.

~Adam

key phrase is PCI card, thats what i need, I don't have agps on these mobos, damn gateway, they don't put them on/saw them off

I'm curious as to whether a 5200 or 5600 would run hl2 well, I'm sure you could get those easilly... Anyone have any experience with it before I go searching off for benchies?

Too late... http://www.jfvgames.game-host.org/hl2/bench.htm

Friggin worse than the 9250 was in doom3... it's in french but you get the jist of the site... sorry dude, looks like you'll be getting a new motherboard and agp card.

~Adam

How come there is no reccomendation for the Geforce TI's? Even though they are old, they're still pretty good. I pull 11000 3dmark 2001 and ~35 fps in UT2004 1024x768 with everything (ti4200) maxed. (this is for the low//lower mid range section)

Maybe because they're expensive on newegg?

Yea, price/performance wise they are not good deals on newegg. I go through price checks and they got checked :p.

~Adam

CleanSlate, your post has helped me out a lot because I know nothing of even where to start looking at video cards. I posted a separate thread but would like your opinion specifically on this issue:

Just bought the Dell 2005FPW. Got it today. My video card is old. GeForce3 Ti200. I don't play games at all. Actually I don't even own any. However, I would like a clearer picture for surfing the net and for DVD's then the VGA connection I have hooked up right now. I don't want to spend $400+ on a video card because I won't get my money's worth out of all it can do. So I was wondering what the cheapest video card is that has a DVI connector, at least 64MB and supports WSXGA. I want to run the native resolution of 1680X1050. I guess price range would be between $100-$200.

I have the Asus P4S533 motherboard.

Which card do you suggest for me?

Thanks for your insight.

Vit

Hate to let you down buddy but I can't seem to find this information anywhere online... Does a 9600 non-pro support WSXGA?

I've looked for half an hour and no dice. If it does I highly suggest the 9600 non-pro since it's a great quality 2d card with 128 megs of ram at a good price, passive cooling which means 100% no noise from it (at least the one I have in this thread is passive anyhow) and well within your monetary limits. One thing I did find is that the 6800gt definately supports WSXGA and maybe the 6600 series does as well but that's mostly PCIE so that doesn't help you.

Hope I've helped maybe even a little, I never had to buy a WSXGA card nor ever cared to even know that WSXGA existed lol because I'm poor and would never buy a $600 monitor. I did spend $240 on my 21" refurbed trinitron crt though and it rocks.

~Adam

Last update they didnt have any good priced 5600's remember I only use newegg.com for this thread.

~Adam

Nice thread, thank you for the advice cause the price range helped me decide to go 6600Gt

6600 GT ?
Great card. I am running an AGP XFX 6600 GT in my Ecube SFF and Duel SLI XFX 6600 GT in my desktop. Very impressed by the card.
Are you going to put it in the Dell case PC?
Dude you need to odd or mod the case.
:)

Ohh no, im getting a chieftec case with a DFI board to support th 6600Gt :cool: Im so cool also that im sticking with 32bit processing

Back