Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

sorry vlad...but read about Palit as it's very comparable in my opinion to the newer gigabyte...also think of how the cooler card could potentially have better OCing (or not)

If you are [H] then i think first thing you sopose to do is get yourself a good heatsink for 8800GT. Something way way better than the Palit's cooling. Very simple. Also no need for apologies :)

not to get off topic...but...vlad (or anyone)...what would be your suggestions for 8800gt gpu cooler? I have not seen any "specified" for 8800gt.

Maybe this should be a new topic for discussion? or is there a thread already?

Thanks for posting answers....I'll have to look into these solutions?

Wrong thread and forum but sure...

Thermalright HR-03 / Plus
Zalman VF1000
ZALMAN VF900
ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 / S2

but read about Palit as it's very comparable in my opinion to the newer gigabyte...
While they both have three phase power regulation and non-stock coolers, the Gigabyte card looks like it's over an inch shorter than the Palit which appears to still be the 'reference' length. Also, the Zalman VF700-AlCu runs quieter than the cooler the Palit has.

O yeah! Checked out trough PayPal.

Gona slap a Maze 4 with some RAM heatsinks and clock tha hell out of this thing!

Edit: lol totaly forgot, Zalman for sale :D

O yeah! Checked out trough PayPal.

Gona slap a Maze 4 with some RAM heatsinks and clock tha hell out of this thing!

Edit: lol totaly forgot, Zalman for sale :D

Sweet! Glad you bit and bought... I can't wait for mine to show up too. Congrats Vlad!

Well, I couldn't wait for the gigabyte so last week I got the Galaxy one for $260 shipped :cool:
Runs really quiet and cool. But I probably take a gamble if it breaks.

Well, I couldn't wait for the gigabyte so last week I got the Galaxy one for $260 shipped :cool:

Yeah, I was so tempted by the Galaxy and Palit at NCIX also. Good price, as well as no need to buy an aftermarket heatsink/fan (which would nullify the price advantage over the G92 8800 GTS). Eventually decided not to though, for that very reason; if I ever have to RMA it, I'd rather deal with BFG or eVGA than have to deal with shipping to and from Hong Kong, as both Palit and Galaxy require you to do, though with ExpressRMA you'd just have to deal with NCIX if it broke in the first month.

True... at least it's a good thing the chip runs cooler for better life :)

I "needed" to wait for the Gigabyte... because it's shorter than the Galaxy and Palit cards (and runs significantly cooler than the Palit - 20 degrees C cooler under load), it won't split my Antec Sonata case in 1/2 with 2 heat zones. The longer cards would effectively split the interior of my case into 2 compartments, and then I'd need to add another fan and open up more ports in the back = more noise. I'll definitely be getting a slightly bigger case in the future!

The other thing is that I have a Zalman VF700 on my X850XT already, so I know what it does inside my case as far as airflow, and what it sounds like... so it was a "known quantity" that I was more comfortable going with. But that Galaxy card was damn tempting last week for sure!

Here's a review on it if y'all haven't seen it yet:
Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP Review at Hardwarezone

It's $254.99 this morning at ClubIT...

-B

Any confirmation that the SPDIF/HDMI audio pass through shown in the Gigabyte promo pictures is actually implemented and present?

How tall is the Zalman cooler? Will this take up three-rather than two-slots? That may be the deciding factor for me.

Thanks

How tall is the Zalman cooler? Will this take up three-rather than two-slots? That may be the deciding factor for me.
I'm almost positive that it's two slots, and absolutely sure that it's not three. My x850xt with the same cooler only takes up 2 slots. Wish I had more definitive info for ya. dimensions are listed as 91(L) x 126.4(W) x 30(H)mm if that helps.

damn... those bastards had it for $269.99 yestarday. oh well
I KNOW. It's not huge, but 15 bucks is still 15 bucks man. I too was disappointed that I didn't get the better price, but I am giddy knowing that FedEx already has it on its way to me.

-B

Thanks.

The price change isn't huge, but it has probably swung me from the 3870 I was going to get - partly because I would prefer the reportedly more quiet cooler exhausting outside the case. With essentially no price difference and a better cooler, I can't justify that anymore.

You can overclock this card pretty high, and with that, it tops out any 3870. I am ATI enthusiast but this time i went for the transistor count, it's the most important to me.

The image from Mwave and Gigabyte's site shows the SPDIF/HDMI audio connector (next to the SLI connector) but the manual makes no mention of it.

Bummer. Also no HDMI adapter or mention of using one.

It comes with NWN2, as well. That is probably the best RPG I played in 2007 once it got a few patches. If you don't have it, that's a nice bonus.

ClubIT has the 256MB version of this card for $219 now if anyone is interested, and they're out of stock on the 512MB version.

Meanwhile, Newegg = $279, MWave = $269 for the 512MB version.

It comes with NWN2, as well. That is probably the best RPG I played in 2007 once it got a few patches. If you don't have it, that's a nice bonus.
Thanks for the endorsement of NWN2... I've been looking for something new to play! I finally uninstalled Oblivion / Shivering Isles / all content (except saved games) off my hard drive last month so I think I'm ready for a new RPG.

Looks like ClubIT has the 256mb version, not the 512mb.
Whew... you're right. It appears they've finally sold out of the 512MB version, and so the first this I saw this morning was the same looking card, but for $50 less than I paid for my 512!!
I've edited my post accordingly ;) - Thanks!

New pics up at Newegg of the card do show that it appears to take up a hair less than 2 slots.

gigside.jpg

got the gigabyte 512 gts the other day, about $50 more
a bit highter clock + shaders
but most of that cost is probably the fact it has a dual slot cooler that blasts air out the back

just add a fan on the back and its idles at 45c :)

how well does it OC? whats stock voltage? Volt mods hard for this card?

Finally plunked down the cash to get one of these on Newegg today. I'm still curious about this and haven't been able to find a real answer on it. I learned that gigabyte cards (supposedly) require gigabyte released drivers. Obviously the same vanilla NV core drivers, just packaged differently. I'm wondering if the gigabyte drivers have their own interface, and if they've been bloated horribly since they're not exactly known for coming up with great software interfaces. :confused:

Haha... I've seen you post this like a million times :D Tell you what... I've got the equipment, I'll try my best to confirm/deny it.

Edit: While gigabytes manuals are usually pretty crappy and full of engrish, I'm looking at it right now and don't see any mention of spdif passthrough or even what this pin header is supposed to be for.

Hey guys... I searched this thread for the word Galaxy but couldn't get any definite info...

Is this Galaxy model basically the same as the gigabyte model? Does it have the same benefits (ie. shorter, runs cooler, and 3-phase power)

Thanks in advance...

http://secure.ncixus.com/products/27328/88YFF6HUFEXX/Galaxy Technology/

Yes, it is shorter, cooler, and run the 3-phase power. It looks very similar to the gigabyte but the galaxy needs 2 source of pci-e power and has a different heatsink cooling.
I went from evga 8800gt superclocked to the galaxy and couldn't be happier. When you turn on your computer or play games you don't hear the fan going crazy. I love the idling at 45C compared to 65C.

Here's the Galaxy topic with lots of information: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1250946

Hey guys... I searched this thread for the word Galaxy but couldn't get any definite info...

Is this Galaxy model basically the same as the gigabyte model? Does it have the same benefits (ie. shorter, runs cooler, and 3-phase power)
I can tell by the pics that the Galaxy is not shorter than the Gigabyte, but it appears to be shorter than stock!:

3sizes.jpg

Specs do say that it has the 3-phase power, and it definitely runs cooler than stock. Does it run cooler than the Gigabyte? Don't know. The Palit runs 20 degrees hotter under load than the Gigabyte, and that has a honkin' aftermarket cooler on it too, so anything is possible. Looking at the design though, it looks like it would cool great!

Other thing though - the Gigabyte requires 1 6-pin connector, the Galaxy requires 2. I'm sure that probably has advantages or disadvantages for some.

I can tell by the pics that the Galaxy is not shorter. Looks like stock length.

Specs do say that it has the 3-phase power, and it definitely runs cooler than stock. Does it run cooler than the Gigabyte? Don't know. The Palit runs 20 degrees hotter under load than the Gigabyte, and that has a honkin' aftermarket cooler on it too, so anything is possible. Looking at the design though, it looks like it would cool great!

Other thing though - the Gigabyte requires 1 6-pin connector, the Galaxy requires 2. I'm sure that probably has advantages or disadvantages for some.

Doesn't look as short as the gigabyte but it still much shorter than the normal ones.

Doesn't look as short as the gigabyte but it still much shorter than the normal ones.
You are correct! I edited that about 5 minutes before you posted this ;)
Also, new pic up comparing stock / Galaxy / Gigabyte for anyone who has space concerns.
That Galaxy is SEXY.

Thanks guys for all the info... I will be throwing a waterblock on whichever card I get so I do not know if I will reap all the benefits of the galaxy or gigabyte branded card. The evga card is about the same price at ncixus (without the galaxy MIR) so I dont know...

Warranty/Step-Up vs. possibly more OC potential from non-reference design...

decisions, decisions...

I learned that gigabyte cards (supposedly) require gigabyte released drivers. Obviously the same vanilla NV core drivers, just packaged differently.
FWIW, the review of this card on HardwareZone states that "All the NVIDIA cards here were tested using ForceWare 169.02 drivers". So, not the Gigabyte branded drivers... and apparently there were no problems with that.

Nice comparison of the GT's size BC101, Gigabyte is the shortest one like I though.

Also for the people that are interested in it's performance and benches I'm getting mine on 27th. It will be on water (maze 4) I will also put ramsinks on it and I will spin it really hard, so stay tuned ;)

NICE PIC COMPARISON!
For warranty purpose I would get the gigabyte.
I love my galaxy :) I just hope it won't break.

I believe the heatsink/fan is from a coolermaster as the HDMI has a sticker with it. I really can't tell if the fan does automatically speed up as adjusting the speed seems to do nothing.

Back