Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

the gigabyte 8800gts is a bloody huge card, bit enough to put 2 - 3 80mm along the back of it

it goes about the whole the length of my mobo, i had to move a HDD to get it too fit

dont even know why i'd even want to put my zalaman vf1000 on it now, its currently on my old 8600gt clocked to 720 core, 1720 shader, 800ram that usually idled at 43c

this idles at 43 to 45c with stock, so i doubt the zalam will do much

Great, NVidia probably hasn't done the software yet to support it. The connector/circuit is there, so maybe eventually.

Still makes having the Gigabyte a better choice, both for 3x power, size, and the SPDIF connector circuit actually being populated.

Thanks for trying.

Recently I needed to warranty a Gigabyte video card and I felt they handled things well. When they could not fix the card and lacked a replacement ...they contacted me to discuss what would be a suitable replacement for my current needs...compared to just guessing...

Alright... now i guess i should rename the thread as a "I just got my Gigabyte 8800gt HP card"
lol... kidding but yeah i just got my... damn shipping took 10 days, that was 1st and a last time i'm doing business with clubit.com

Here are some pics...

Pics with maze on will be added later. Still have to plug it in and test it with stock cooler.

One more pic with a "ruler"

looking to buy the gigabyte 512 card if anyone can help me out with a site that has it in stock.

cant find it anywhere avail ;x

I definitely have my eye on this card for my new box, I should have grabbed it the other day when one site had it in stock yet. :(

Damn it... the RAM heatsinks don't want to stick... looks like reusing the thermal pads that those sinks got 2nd time wont work...need a solution :confused:

Got mine today too ;)

Idle: 39 (my ambient case temp even before installing the card)
Load: 52

Those are the exact same idle and load temps as my X850XT had!
So, temps are good, noise is virtually non-existant, and the thing has been running stable for a few hours now, with 3DMark06, Crysis, etc. I'm using the latest nVidia drivers, not the Gigabyte drivers. Wow- Crysis on High... damn. So that's what I was missing. And smooth smooth smooth.

The only PITA is how nVidia I'm guessing does not support 16:10? I had to use RivaTuner to make a 1280x800 setting available to me... simply wasn't there before. Anyway, solving that 'problem' was my biggest headache... other than that, the install was smooth, and nothing unusual happened. Didn't even use Driver Cleaner for my old ATi drivers ;) ... although I do have CCleaner, Registry Mechanic, etc., so I probably did want Driver Cleaner does, just without it.

Anyway, I'm also quite impressed with the benchies... before the 8800GT, I had an X850XT and got a 3DMark06 score of 2480. With the 8800GT, my score is 9754. That's running the tests at 1280x800.

-Ben

The only PITA is how nVidia I'm guessing does not support 16:10?

-Ben

Hmmm... this cant be right, it has to... c'mn there are million people using this resolution.

Still working on my card.

Alright... now i guess i should rename the thread as a "I just got my Gigabyte 8800gt HP card"
lol... kidding but yeah i just got my... damn shipping took 10 days, that was 1st and a last time i'm doing business with clubit.com

And that card has the faster Quimonda -10 memory.

I've been trying to find this thing in stock for a week. Anyone got any idea's on where else might have it? Gigabyte doesn't have their own store, do they?

2 places in stock right now. Newegg sent me an email saying they were in stock but they must have sold out in 20 mins. :rolleyes:

2 places in stock right now. Newegg sent me an email saying they were in stock but they must have sold out in 20 mins. :rolleyes:

hey hit me up on aim and we can trade sites if we find one

oops my aim = vursed

ClubIT already sold out, Mwave has yet ... for the moment. I'm kinda waiting on Newegg, they claim 1/1 for more.

Just as an update for those interested...
This is re: the Gigabyte 8800 blah blah HP card at 700/950...

My original load temp posted was noted after running Crysis for an hour or 3DMark06. Temps were checked with Everest. I just grabbed ATiTool for the heck of it and ran that artifact test with the 3D window open... ran it for 20 minutes (with no errors) and load temps did hit 70 and I think could eventually hit 71. This is not an issue for me as the ambient temp in my case only went up 1-2 degree C during the testing, so the heat from the card is not impacting my CPU's cool air, etc. Also, after some more observation, idle temps for the GPU and CPU are 37 and 36 respectively.

I'm running a 'quiet' (not silent) rig, stuffed in an Antec Sonata, so I have much less airflow than most hardcore gamers, which would explain the GPU temp hitting 70. My CPU under full load hits 55, and I know that's too hot for some... although we all know there's no problem with that temp. Anyway, my case 'only' has a quiet 120mm Papst for the exhaust fan (around 40CFM), and the 'silent' fan on the Corsair HX620 PSU (which I have not heard ramp up yet).

So what I'm saying is that even in a relatively low airflow box, I'm still getting great temps and performance!! No issues with any games yet (Crysis, UT3, Portal, HL2, Minesweeper, etc.). Ramsinks - who needs 'em ;)

Here's a pic so you can see the clutter... all the fans you see are the only fans there are.

compguts1207.jpg

I honestly don't know so I have to ask. What is this?

(In the red circle.)

whatzit.jpg

It's a cupholder. It's nice to have when I need it.

Seriously though, I lost my other rear port covers (god knows where I put 'em), but digging in my spare crap box I found that one... it has that 'arm' that extends, maybe to mount a side fan? Either way, it covered the port, so I used it. It has no function other than to cover that rear port ;)

I just got mine yesterrday from NewEgg, and it runs great. However, when I look at NV Control Panel / nTune, it shows the core clock at 450MHz and the memory clock at 700MHz. I'm running the 169.21 drivers. GPU-Z correctly shows the core at 700MHz, memory at 950MHz and shader at 1700MHz. I'm not comfortable overclocking the card with nTune unless it starts out reflecting reality. Any suggestions? RivaTuner?

TIA!

As far as I know, this card has a dynamic clock thing going on, so it can change it's clocks and power consumption according to 3D load. So, if you're running a highly demanding scene in a game, the GPU will be clocked at maximum speed, while running cut-scenes or any lower-GPU intensive scene will cut down the clock of the card and decrease the power consumption. (paraphrased from someone who explained it better elsewhere).

Here's some info from Everest...

8800gtinfo.jpg

OK, that's some really good info. It looks like nTune is listing the 2D clocks. The question remains, however: How do we overclock? :confused:

Hopefully someone into overclocking can help you out with that one!
I'm not truly [H]... I'm not really into the overclocking scene :)eek:)... more into quiet & stable performance (not like they're necessarily mutually exclusive).

I'm seeing alot of posts where people are having problems with this card's stability after running memory intensive games for a short while (Crysis, UT3, Bioshock, 2-10 minutes)

Wondering if anyone else that got this is seeing the same thing?

I'm seeing alot of posts where people are having problems with this card's stability after running memory intensive games for a short while (Crysis, UT3, Bioshock, 2-10 minutes)

I ran Crysis for 3-4 hours straight last week (I had time off ;))... no issues.
I ran UT3 for about 1-2 hours straight last week... no issues.
I ran the Bioshock demo last night for about 30-40 minutes (played through it a couple times and drooled at the artwork)... no issues.
I'm am not running a particularly cool system, and only have one 120mm 'silent' case fan pulling about 42cfm, and the 'silent' fan in my Corsair HX620 which I doubt is chugging the air out either... that's it. The vid card idles around 37-39, and in games goes up to 57-61. ATiTool got it up to 70.

Maybe the people having issues are oc-ing the card beyond it's current oc'd levels?

-Ben

It's a cupholder. It's nice to have when I need it.

Seriously though, I lost my other rear port covers (god knows where I put 'em), but digging in my spare crap box I found that one... it has that 'arm' that extends, maybe to mount a side fan? Either way, it covered the port, so I used it. It has no function other than to cover that rear port ;)

looks like the thing u use to hold the SLI bridge in place

I've had to underclock my ram by 50mhz (down to 900) in order to make it stable. That was after I put the vf900 cooler and ramsinks on the chips. I have a feeling that its not so much temps anymore, just bad ram (or shall we say, ram that doesn't overclock as well as gigabyte thought). Using everest to monitor vram temps (however the heck it manages to), I see the temps go above 54C and still remain stable at 900mhz. Its only when I have it clocked to the stock 950mhz that it goes up to around 52C and crashes badly.

At 900mhz I've been playing bioshock and crysis for hours without any issue. Core temps stay around 55C with the new cooler. I'm seeing a few other people with the same issues on other forums and on Newegg.

Just played the full version of Bioshock that I got from Steam this morning... played for an hour... all settings as high as they can go. No problems. Still running the Gigabyte card completely stock - no under or overclocking of anything. RAM temps, according to Everest (questionable) hit around 56... completely stable.

I guess I'm just lucky?

-Ben

I started getting the lockups playing Crysis last night. The screen got artifacts and froze after a couple of hours playing with all settings at high. Tonight it froze as soon as I loaded Crysis and got to the main menu, and I had to completely power off the system to get it to boot. No over/underclocking on the card at all. There were three reports of this behavior on NewEgg. I think I'll add mine. I've pegged the fan at 100% thru nTune, we'll see whether that helps.

I've had to underclock my ram by 50mhz (down to 900) in order to make it stable. That was after I put the vf900 cooler and ramsinks on the chips. I have a feeling that its not so much temps anymore, just bad ram (or shall we say, ram that doesn't overclock as well as gigabyte thought). Using everest to monitor vram temps (however the heck it manages to), I see the temps go above 54C and still remain stable at 900mhz. Its only when I have it clocked to the stock 950mhz that it goes up to around 52C and crashes badly.

At 900mhz I've been playing bioshock and crysis for hours without any issue. Core temps stay around 55C with the new cooler. I'm seeing a few other people with the same issues on other forums and on Newegg.

I have the same situation with the card as well. The card was unstable with more recent games with the stock ram clock (CoD4 to be exact). By downclocking it to stock, the card is stable with all games.

Just as an update for those interested...
This is re: the Gigabyte 8800 blah blah HP card at 700/950...

My original load temp posted was noted after running Crysis for an hour or 3DMark06. Temps were checked with Everest. I just grabbed ATiTool for the heck of it and ran that artifact test with the 3D window open... ran it for 20 minutes (with no errors) and load temps did hit 70 and I think could eventually hit 71. This is not an issue for me as the ambient temp in my case only went up 1-2 degree C during the testing, so the heat from the card is not impacting my CPU's cool air, etc. Also, after some more observation, idle temps for the GPU and CPU are 37 and 36 respectively.

I'm running a 'quiet' (not silent) rig, stuffed in an Antec Sonata, so I have much less airflow than most hardcore gamers, which would explain the GPU temp hitting 70. My CPU under full load hits 55, and I know that's too hot for some... although we all know there's no problem with that temp. Anyway, my case 'only' has a quiet 120mm Papst for the exhaust fan (around 40CFM), and the 'silent' fan on the Corsair HX620 PSU (which I have not heard ramp up yet).

So what I'm saying is that even in a relatively low airflow box, I'm still getting great temps and performance!! No issues with any games yet (Crysis, UT3, Portal, HL2, Minesweeper, etc.). Ramsinks - who needs 'em ;)

Here's a pic so you can see the clutter... all the fans you see are the only fans there are.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcoutu/compguts1207.jpg

That case isn't that cluttered...you haven't seen mine, it is alot worse. Out of curiosity, that pci sound card woudn't be from a dell? The white skinny port seem familar to what is used for audio on older Optiplexes (Gx240 and Gx260)

OK, so what are you guys using to down clock this card? See my earlier post on the subject - nTune does not behave as expected.

I was thinking on picking this sexy card up too, but now that I'm hearing that it craps out after a short while from reviews on newegg and XMan here I'm beginning to have my doubts. That XFX with the sexy black PCB and larger intake fan is starting to look pretty good about now...

I was thinking on picking this sexy card up too, but now that I'm hearing that it craps out after a short while from reviews on newegg and XMan here I'm beginning to have my doubts. That XFX with the sexy black PCB and larger intake fan is starting to look pretty good about now...

i was goin to pick it up but instead bought superclocked evga at clubit. reviews on newegg n here scared me, but prob looks like it can easily be fixed via lowerin memory

That case isn't that cluttered...you haven't seen mine, it is alot worse. Out of curiosity, that pci sound card woudn't be from a dell? The white skinny port seem familar to what is used for audio on older Optiplexes (Gx240 and Gx260)
Nope - that's a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. I have no idea what the skinny port is for (it's been 3 years since I put it in), but the big black cable goes to the breakout box up front.
And thanks about the case clutter comment - makes me feel better ;)
I just sometimes wish I had a more modern case... you know, one of the ones where you can hide a lot of cable behind the mobo side side panel.

I might be wrong but I think the Qimonda 1.0ns is rated at 900MHz (1800Mhz effective) but this card is clocked till 1.9Ghz (not 1.8Ghz) and maybe thats why its a little unstable for some while others have no problem.

I might be wrong but I think the Qimonda 1.0ns is rated at 900MHz (1800Mhz effective) but this card is clocked till 1.9Ghz (not 1.8Ghz) and maybe thats why its a little unstable for some while others have no problem.

Looking at the pictures Vlad took above, the RAM is Qimonda's HYB18H512321BF-10.
According to the Qimonda website, it seems to be rated for 1.0Ghz (2000Mhz effective).
Unless I'm reading this wrong?:
http://www.qimonda.com/graphics-ram/gddr3/index.html
(click on the 512MB tab)

Back