Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Since I'm going to set up the CRT for the picture anyway, I can plug it in and check the display lag. You mean, run them side by side, right?

I'll take a look at those links tomorrow morning when I set up for the pictures. Thanks for the tools.

Yeah I think how it works is have both monitors display the same thing, run the timer so it starts at the same time and runs on both screens, take a picture, and then the difference between the two is the lag. Thanks so much for all your effort.

I need to resize and upload the pics.

Also, I can not find a test that just gives me an all black screen so I can shut off the lights and show the blacklight bleed. Have my tripod setup and can go up to a 15 second exposure. Any preference? I just need a way to black out the entire screen.

Make a picture at the windows start or at a movie start and stop the scene, make it full screen, or use some monitor test software witch can show full screen colors.
Give us this pictures :) there are to less reviews of this monitor.

Here you go - absolutly black picture made in photoshop :D
Just make it your desktop and watch the backlight bleed

If anyone willing I can make it any size you`d like

One easy way I have used to get a black screen is to right click to get to video properties. Select screensaver and choose black screen, or "blank" I think it says. Now just choose "Preview". This gives a black screen. Do NOT choose "Apply" or this will change your screen saver.

Lon

One easy way I have used to get a black screen is to right click to get to video properties. Select screensaver and choose black screen, or "blank" I think it says. Now just choose "Preview". This gives a black screen. Do NOT choose "Apply" or this will change your screen saver.

Lon

Yes this one is good, i knew there is an easy way, but couldn't remember :eek: .

I think I need to wait until its dark out to do the black test. Other pics are coming in a few minutes.

OK... mind you that I had to move the monitor around to get space for the CRT again, so I wouldn't normally have it set up like this. Just for the comparo.

The images have been resized to 800x600, although I still have the original high rez images weighing in around 2-2.5 mb each if anyone should want them. Also, this is with the flash off at on auto ISO. I could probably get a little less grainy if I upped the exposure time and reduce the ISO. Graininess you see is a result of the camera images, not the screen. There's no screen door effect visible.

Anyone else want side by side shots before I take this CRT off the desk?

If you want other specific shots of the LCD, just ask. Camera is here and ready to go anyway.

I did the timer thing and I don't see any lag between the monitors. Maybe in one shot you can see a timer changing numbers (blurred) but the number still clear on the other.

221.jpg

222.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg

227.jpg

228.jpg

Has anyone seen or heard of the 20" 206bw model? I plan to purchase one but there's no mention of it anywhere.
Actually, I was just at the local Circuit City in Manchester,CT and I saw the 206BW on display for only $240!! I thought it was a typo or it was on sale, but the sign said it was the regular price. I took a pic with my cell phone of it just to have proof but I don't have my data cable handy, so I will upload it later. I originally went in to look at the 226BW but at $380, the 20" is looking much more appealing for $140 less. Now if I could get myself another $40 off $200 coupons I would get it for only $200 + tax.

Actually, I was just at the local Circuit City in Manchester,CT and I saw the 206BW on display for only $240!! I thought it was a typo or it was on sale, but the sign said it was the regular price. I took a pic with my cell phone of it just to have proof but I don't have my data cable handy, so I will upload it later. I originally went in to look at the 226BW but at $380, the 20" is looking much more appealing for $140 less. Now if I could get myself another $40 off $200 coupons I would get it for only $200 + tax.

Whoa thanks man I went to a CC in Portland, OR but they didn't have it. They had the 225bw on display and 226s in the case. I think the 20" is perfect, same res and everything, plus it's cheaper.

i really hope that somehwere gets a new monitor roundup up soon to gauge some of these new samsung and LG monitors to compare against the NEC and Dell top performers.

Does this monitor have any negatives?

So far, my only complaint is lack of height adjustment. It's maybe a little short on inputs considering some of the other monitors. Depends what you are going to use it for. It's a straight PC display for me, so 8 inputs isn't anything special for my needs.

Hmm, see I want height adjustment but I guess I could deal with that if the monitor is good. Then again I think I might be getting a new monitor later this year so I have time to see what comes up.

Wow thanks Diabolikul for all the pictures, it looks much better than your CRT. Barely any lag between the LCD and CRT is awesome to hear. Yeah I would really like a LG L226WT comparison with this monitor. These pictures, as well as that link to the Chinese (?) site that seemed to explain that this was the only non-Chimei (sp?) panel has me swayed. I think on that review that gave the Samsung first but the translation I saw wasn't the best. Can't remember where I saw the link, somewhere on the forums, if anyone wants it I'll try and find it. Thanks again Diabolikul.

Here you go - absolutly black picture made in photoshop :D
Just make it your desktop and watch the backlight bleed

If anyone willing I can make it any size you`d like

Can you make a version at 1920x1200 ?,as I have a Dell 2407 on the way.Thanks allot,much appreciated :)

Pegleg, this is probably the link you're referring to. It's a comparison of 22'' LCDs.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcpop.com%2Fdoc%2F0%2F174%2F174242_15.shtml&langpair=zh%7Cen&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

I just got my 226bw and I love it so far. I tried out the 3000:1 dynamic contrast, but I can't seem to turn the brightness down when I use it. I'm used to a dark 17 inch so I'm just using my own custom settings without the dynamic junk. No dead pixels either. So far so good.

Wow thanks Diabolikul for all the pictures, it looks much better than your CRT. Barely any lag between the LCD and CRT is awesome to hear. Yeah I would really like a LG L226WT comparison with this monitor. These pictures, as well as that link to the Chinese (?) site that seemed to explain that this was the only non-Chimei (sp?) panel has me swayed. I think on that review that gave the Samsung first but the translation I saw wasn't the best. Can't remember where I saw the link, somewhere on the forums, if anyone wants it I'll try and find it. Thanks again Diabolikul.

My pleasure.

Attached are the final pictures. 10 second exposure and 2 second exposure on an all black screen with room lights out at night.

It looks pretty uniform to me. Comments?

2sec.jpg

10sec.jpg

10sec_2.jpg

the whiteish area within the red highlighted area,shows up in both pics,it looks like someone put too much pressure on the screen at some point.When cleaning or unpacking/packing.

nut854, yeah that's it. The text is a little goofy but it is nice to know they rated the Samsung the highest. I think I read it was a subjective test, and they seemed to also like the LG so I'm pretty sure they're both good. I'd like to know what this means "Of course, we also look forward to an early L226WT LPL version of the listing, and only then, when L226WT can really enjoy music and the strength of Samsung 226BW" (at the end of the article where they gave the LG and editors award). I assumed it means there is some new iteration of the LG coming out that'll be as good as the Samsung. I'm really excited about this monitor but I'd like to see them both in person, and maybe wait for an English review before purchasing. I'm the cautious type.

I am thinking about buying the Samsung 226BW monitor instead of a Dell 2007WFP. They have the 226BW at my local circuit city, but I am not sure about circuit city's return policy for dead pixels or other monitor defects. Will they let you return a defective monitor?

I am thinking about buying the Samsung 226BW monitor instead of a Dell 2007WFP. They have the 226BW at my local circuit city, but I am not sure about circuit city's return policy for dead pixels or other monitor defects. Will they let you return a defective monitor?

Yes, within 14 days of the purchase.

I also see that CC has a 15% restock charge if you return a monitor. Have any of you seen or heard of any other retailer carrying this model?

I also see that CC has a 15% restock charge if you return a monitor. Have any of you seen or heard of any other retailer carrying this model?

I have not seen any other retailers. Does that restock charge apply to exchanging the monitor for another monitor of the same model?

10sec_2.jpg

the whiteish area within the red highlighted area,shows up in both pics,it looks like someone put too much pressure on the screen at some point.When cleaning or unpacking/packing.

Good catch. Totally unnoticeable to me. Like I said earlier, I suppose there are folks here that are very, very picky. Me... I hardly ever have a completely black screen. That discoloration won't bother me. It might even be because of the camera angle. Who knows!

You can't even see it on the monitor. It only shows when the camera exposure is set to a long period. Would it cause long term damage?

i've been toying with this idea, but as i said earlier, it would be nice to see this and some other newer monitors like the LG's rounded up and compared.

Pls, can anyone tell me what is the vertical and orizontal size of the viewable screen, in cm or inch, on a 22" lcd?
I know a 20" wide it's 43.29cm x 27.06cm. But what about a 22" wide?

Whoa thanks man I went to a CC in Portland, OR but they didn't have it. They had the 225bw on display and 226s in the case. I think the 20" is perfect, same res and everything, plus it's cheaper.

Here is the pic of the 206BW tag as promised, click for original. Silly me, I forgot to grab a pic of the actual display.

Just bought it... 226BW at CC on sale for $356.99
I bought a 10% off coupon from ebay (woodyson70) for $1.98 and it worked like a charm!
He emailed me the coupon code and I bought it on-line. Saved $35.70!
$340.57 total with tax :D :D :D
I'm going to the store now to pick it up!

picked it up and hooked it up.... Amazing!!!

I can't give much of a review yet because I'm still running it on my old hardware.
I'm definately itching to upgrade now!!
Aside from it running on an old ATI 9700 Pro video card, it looks very nice. I was able to hook it up with the DVI cable and I'm sure that's helping out a lot.
I set my desktop at 1680x1050 and it looks very nice.
I played FEAR set at 1680x1050 and it look super nice but I had to turn everything down to minimal settings so my 9700 Pro wouldn't complain too much. I can't wait to see how it looks in a couple weeks when I running a 8800GTX!

I love the glossy black case surrounding the 22" of goodness.
The menu buttons are on the underside of the screen facing down just to the left of the power button. They are not hard to use, but it not the best I've ever seen. No matter really, once I get it set up, I probably won't use the adjustment buttons very often anyway. The stand is ok, nothing great (tilt only), but it's low engough that it's already at the perfect height for me, so that worked out ok.
Oh, and no dead pixles!

Don't ask me how it looks on an xbox or PS3, because I don't have either.

so is this the king of the 20-22" non IPS widescreens then? or is it the new LG one?

so they peform the same? would that make them together the 20-22" non-ips performance kings?

i bought the 226bw at CC last week. been playing with it all weekend. some thoughts...

according to the guy at CC, you can return the monitor and exchange for another one for any reason within the first 14 days. you can exchange for a higher priced one without paying the 15% restocking fee.

i love the monitor. have never used and LCD before, but i was amazed when i set my old 19" CRT next to this. much better colors. games look great. everything looks great so far. except...

does anyone with the 226bw notice the banding in gradiants? i was trying different backgrounds images and a few had really noticabe banding in them caused by color gradiants in the images. some of the images appeared to have banding also when viewed on the CRT monitor (i am running both monitors side-by-side). so i fired up photoshop and created a large image with a gradiant. sure enough, the LCD has banding. ugh.

there is no 1:1 mapping that i can find anywhere. when you set the resolution to something other than 1680x1050, it gets stretched to fill the display. so if your video drivers dont support it, then you are out of luck. which is too bad b/c i wanted to hook up my XBOX 360 to it via the VGA port when i finally get one to play GTA 4. but oh well.

i have the brightness set at 50-60% and notice no backlight bleed. even in the dark with a totally black screen. maybe if i REALLY look for it, i could spot it. but then if i do that, it would probably bother me on some subconcious level. so my concious mind hasn't noticed any and i will leave it at that :)

i played some BF2142 and Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade over the weekend and both looked fantastic. i didn't notice any ghosting or problems with the images.

one other note to those buying the monitor, it does come with a DVI cable in case you wanted to know. the samsung website says it does not. but, on the box is a label that has the serial number, etc. and also on the label it says something like "Option: DVI Cable". so i guess they decided to throw one in at the last second.

please keep in mind this is my first LCD and so i really have nothing to compare it to except for my old 19" CRT which was on its last breath. but i am very happy with the purchase. if i were to return it, the major reasons would be the gradiant banding issue (i am a web developer, so have to deal with that often) and the lack of 1:1 mapping. but i am planning to keep it for right now. glad i found this thread too, now i have to head back up to CC to get my price match (i paid 380, right now it is 357).

if anyone else has any questions i can try to answer them.

does anyone with the 226bw notice the banding in gradiants? i was trying different backgrounds images and a few had really noticabe banding in them caused by color gradiants in the images. some of the images appeared to have banding also when viewed on the CRT monitor (i am running both monitors side-by-side). so i fired up photoshop and created a large image with a gradiant. sure enough, the LCD has banding. ugh.
I bought one this weekend as well, but do not have any banding issues that I can see. I have been pretty picky about it to be honest. The Dell 22" I had for a few minutes was horrible about banding. I can look more tonight, but I have not seen any banding yet.

there is no 1:1 mapping that i can find anywhere. when you set the resolution to something other than 1680x1050, it gets stretched to fill the display. so if your video drivers dont support it, then you are out of luck. which is too bad b/c i wanted to hook up my XBOX 360 to it via the VGA port when i finally get one to play GTA 4. but oh well.
I am running 2142 @ 1400X1050 and get black bars on both sides. No stretching. For some reason, in 2142 it also gives me the option of running @ 1600X1200. This option does not show on the other LCD, just the 226BW. I have not had the courage to try it, but it is indeed strange that the game thinks it can run @ that on this monitor.

Back