Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

i dont get it, why do people keep saying to get the 206BW because it's smaller and has the same resolution? wouldnt that make the 22" a better buy, since you get a bigger screen but at the same native resolution (and thus the same performance hit)?
i say get the 226BW. i have mine next to my old 19" CRT which i ran at 1280x1024. if i had gotten a 20" WS LCD, then it would feel like i lost screen space. the 22" is just as big height wise as the 19" CRT, but it is wider. the 20" LCD would have been shorter and i believe i would have had to squint more (i am getting old). so for me, the 22" fits the bill just fine. sure the 20" is cheaper, but you have to live with the monitor more than any other aspect of your computer really, so don't skimp.

now, people will argue that since the 20" and the 22" LCD have the same resolution, they therefore have the same number of pixels. the 22" has a higher dot pitch which just means the pixels are just spread out a little more. so that makes the 22" look "blockier". but i say.. "eh". maybe if i was 20 years old and had 20/20 vision that would matter, but i find the 22" screen just fine. i am 34 and dont wear glasses, but i am a computer programmer and have to look at the screen quiet a bit.

After reading some more on the comparisons between the LG 22" new display and this new Samsung 22" display and after reading about the deal that Phoenix426 got... I decided to take my LG 22" display back to Best Buy and got a FULL refund... I had paid $420 with tax for the LG display... I wasn't happy with the viewing angles of the LG display so I decided to try out the Samsung...

I am not quite sure how there can be such a big difference between the two displays but the Samsung is by far a better product!!!

I got it for $344 out the door after applying the 10% off coupon that Phoenix426 mentioned he got from EBay. Likewise I did the same thing.. best $1.98 I ever spent! LOL

THANK YOU Phoenix426!!!!!

Seriously folks... I used the LG 22" display for a week and though I felt it was a decent display the Samsung is deffiently the better of the two. What really has me sitting with a big grin is the fact that the Samsung was MUCH cheaper AND it CAME with a DVI cable...

BUY THE SAMSUNG if you are considering the LG... the Samsung 226BW is BETTER than LG L226WT! No question about it... everything from the control panel to the quality of the build/stand makes it the better deal... not to mention you get it cheaper through CC.

Thanks again Phoenix426!!!

YOU ARE SO VERY WELCOME :D :D :D

I actually got this at circuitcity. For $380 it might seem kind of expensive to people but my games look fantasic on it. No dead pixels, no bleeding and none of the other stuff that people talked about with the 225BW.

I was just at Circuit City. They had the 206 and 226, but they were $330 and $500 respectively. Screw that.

Are you kidding, yesterday the 226BW was being offered on the Circuit City website for $359. How could that change so much?

*EDIT: in the U.S.

*EDIT 2: It's currently $379.99 in the U.S. Missed the $20 discount *angry*

Are you kidding, yesterday the 226BW was being offered on the Circuit City website for $359. How could that change so much?

It was in Portland, OR. I don't know either man. If you look back a few pages you will see a picture of the 206bw for $240, which made me go today. I asked the worker and he said the prices varied by regions blah blah blah. Any other retailers offer this monitor?

*EDIT 2: It's currently $379.99 in the U.S. Missed the $20 discount *angry*

Yeah, looks like it was just on sale over the weekend only. Back to regular price now.
You could still get a 10% off coupon and save some money that way.
$380 is still a good price for this monitor!

What you must have seen was the 225BW which i seen at Circuit City for 500 dollars, i asked about the 226BW and they said they had some in back at 300 something.

What you must have seen was the 225BW which i seen at Circuit City for 500 dollars, i asked about the 226BW and they said they had some in back at 300 something.

Yeah maybe. The 226bw was on display but it probably just replaced the 225bw and they didn't change the tags.

How did it look on display did you notice anything good or bad?

The first thing I did was turn it off. Other LCD displays have crappy power buttons, my HDTV and current CRT monitor have these oval shaped buttons that don't really feel right. This one has a metal circle the size of a nickel that just turns it off briskly and with feedback. A lot of people probably won't notice this detail or care of whatever but I thought it was pretty sweet.

The colors were pretty vibrant too. I was mostly there just for prices so I didn't really get to play around with it or whatever but I didn't get any negative reaction. The bezel is better than in the pictures, it has the same finish as a PSP so it looks pretty sweet. I was planning on getting the 206bw, but after thinking about it, I'm gonna get the 22". Somehow the 22" Samsung compared to the 20" looks bigger than any other 22" & 20" brand names I've seen. Probably because they were directly next to each. :p

i found this article the other night. maybe it will help (if it is what Samsung is actually doing is anyone's guess though)...

6-Bit vs. 8-Bit....PVA/MVA vs. TN Film: Are Things Changing?

yeah but whats interesting is that it notes that even samsung is up front about its dithering and would at least note 16.2 colors, but for the 226BW it unabashedly says 16.7 colors, perhaps it is a true 8-bit TN panel?? or as the guide says at the end "6 bit extnede dto 9 bit and figured as 8-bit, thus 16.7 million colors listed ???)

Something has to be different between the LG22 and this Samsung 22.
Also did anyone see a whiteish spot in those pics in that chinese review in the middle of the screen? what was that?

I suggest not using Magic Color option as it distorts colors... it accentuates colors and bleeds them basically... other than that after a bit of tweaking I got this bad boy displaying some really nice coloring... gg

I suggest not using Magic Color option as it distorts colors... it accentuates colors and bleeds them basically... other than that after a bit of tweaking I got this bad boy displaying some really nice coloring... gg

Could you provide me with some settings of yours? My Samsung will arrive tomorrow and I could need some reference before tweaking myself to death ;) Much appreciated!

Anyone using this for games, people are saying i should get a SPVA or S-IPS instead

I found this new comparison with eleven 22-inch LCD displays. It includes:

Acer AL2216w
AOC 210V
ASUS MW221U
Meiji JT229ZP
LG L226WT
U.S.-Georgia WB22D
BenQ FP222W
Samsung 225BW
Samsung 226BW
ViewSonic VX2235wm
ViewSonic VX2245wm

It's a chinese site translated with google and I think the translation is pretty decent.
Btw. 226BW was the clear winner of the comparison. My decision is made! :)

yeah but too bad it didnt use more monitors, like the Viewsonix 2025 which was said to be the top gaming option that wasnt TN.

also i hope some english local sites do something like this, as there's often not always the best criteria on the chinese websites in my mind.

I dont see a better monitor in the 22" range than this one. If you want 1080p, then you have to jump to 24" or larger...but way more $$ too.

Diabolikul or anyone else with this monitor how does it handle non-native resolutions (screenshots wouldn't hurt if it's too much trouble)? I can't believe I forgot to ask this, but it is one of my big concerns in getting an LCD. I'm not sure I'll always be able to afford a new video card and such to keep playing games at native res so non-native resolution display is important to me.

What kind of dx10 card do I need to max the eye candy on this sammy 22"? Dont want to do SLI - too loud.

Well, for "max eye candy" and no SLI there's only one choice.... 8800GTX :)

Its just so damm expensive - $600? Where is the cost/benefit? Man if I had unlimited funds I wouldnt even be on this forum....just buy what I want and throw out the rest.

Diabolikul or anyone else with this monitor how does it handle non-native resolutions (screenshots wouldn't hurt if it's too much trouble)? I can't believe I forgot to ask this, but it is one of my big concerns in getting an LCD. I'm not sure I'll always be able to afford a new video card and such to keep playing games at native res so non-native resolution display is important to me.

I have not done that yet, but I will be happy to do so and provide pictures when I do. I'm going to put that old CRT up and run the more technical lag test anyhow, so I'll play with non-native while I'm at it.

I get back in town Friday night, so I'll do that some time Saturday afternoon.

I'll get some gaming shots of BF2142, Oblivion and my old skool fave RTCW also.

I have not done that yet, but I will be happy to do so and provide pictures when I do. I'm going to put that old CRT up and run the more technical lag test anyhow, so I'll play with non-native while I'm at it.

I get back in town Friday night, so I'll do that some time Saturday afternoon.

I'll get some gaming shots of BF2142, Oblivion and my old skool fave RTCW also.

Awesome, thanks so much. You do treat us well.

I just got my 226bw. I tried pressing the Auto Adjustment, but it only says "Auto Adjustment Not Available"..

Anyone else with the same problem?

Auto Adjustment only works when you're using the vga cable. When your monitor is hooked up with a dvi cable it should say that.

Thats what mine does. I am guessing its because I have it hooked up through the DVI (digital) and not the VGA (analog) connector. Just a guess:(

Auto Adjustment detects and test refresh and moire on VGA signals while setting the monitor to display the image centered and fullscreen. If your monitor is hooked up via the DVI cable, those adjustments are not nedded. Nothing to worry about, it's supposed to be this way.

Oh ok. Yeah, it's hooked up to the DVI so that must be why.

thanks!

Love the screen! :)

Peg, I play Unreal Tournament scaled down to 1280 * 1024 and I can't tell the difference from my old LCD that actually was a native 1280 * 1024. Still crystal clear (for UT at least).

Its just so damm expensive - $600? Where is the cost/benefit? Man if I had unlimited funds I wouldnt even be on this forum....just buy what I want and throw out the rest.

Well, actually the 8800GTX is only $539.99 after rebate on NewEgg. :rolleyes:
The benefit would be that you would have a solid video solution for at least a couple years (if you can handle the cost today)

The next logical choice would be the 8800GTS.
It can be had for as little as $354.99 after rebate.

I guess the next choice would be the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 512MB for $289.99
Then there's the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 256MB for $214.99 after rebate.

I went to Circuit City and bought a 226. This thing is nice. I used to have a Sceptre X22. The computer looks the same as the Sceptre through the DVI but the Xbox 360 looks so much better. I did not notice that the sceptre was making the screen bigger for the 360 so I saw less of the game. My settings are still the way it came out the box I have not messed with that yet. The colors are much better than the scepter also

but the Xbox 360 looks so much better.
please, please elaborate on this. i was wondering how the 360 looks hooked up to the VGA port. is there stretching of the image at all? or are there black bars? what resolution is the 360 running at? thanks!

Peg, I play Unreal Tournament scaled down to 1280 * 1024 and I can't tell the difference from my old LCD that actually was a native 1280 * 1024. Still crystal clear (for UT at least).

Really good to hear thanks. Diabolikul is gonna post some pics of different resolutions this weekend so I can see it in action.

Back