Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I bought one this weekend as well, but do not have any banding issues that I can see. I have been pretty picky about it to be honest. The Dell 22" I had for a few minutes was horrible about banding. I can look more tonight, but I have not seen any banding yet.
if you could, please look. if you need me to supply you some images that i see banding with, please let me know. now i really want to know if it is just my monitor or if all of them will do it.

on a side note, i found one background image, that when i set it, the entire image seems to "jump" around. very weird. the pixels in part of the image will just jump around and act all funny. i can find it and let you try it too.

I am running 2142 @ 1400X1050 and get black bars on both sides. No stretching. For some reason, in 2142 it also gives me the option of running @ 1600X1200. This option does not show on the other LCD, just the 226BW. I have not had the courage to try it, but it is indeed strange that the game thinks it can run @ that on this monitor.
here is what i did for 2142... Edit the Battlefield 2142 shortcut, and set the resolution to desired specs. Also, be sure to change "+fullscreen" to "+widescreen" For example, the command line would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

i have an ATI x1800XT and it seemed to run fine in that resolution. i am sure your x1900XTX could also handle it. but then again, it depends on what kind of frame rate hit your are willing to take. i usually get around 40-50. sometimes more and sometimes less. it sure does look purty though :)

if you could, please look. if you need me to supply you some images that i see banding with, please let me know. now i really want to know if it is just my monitor or if all of them will do it.

on a side note, i found one background image, that when i set it, the entire image seems to "jump" around. very weird. the pixels in part of the image will just jump around and act all funny. i can find it and let you try it too.

here is what i did for 2142... Edit the Battlefield 2142 shortcut, and set the resolution to desired specs. Also, be sure to change "+fullscreen" to "+widescreen" For example, the command line would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

i have an ATI x1800XT and it seemed to run fine in that resolution. i am sure your x1900XTX could also handle it. but then again, it depends on what kind of frame rate hit your are willing to take. i usually get around 40-50. sometimes more and sometimes less. it sure does look purty though :)
I know about the force resolution trick for 2142, but the game itself does not actually support widescreen even by EA's admission. What you end up with is some strecthing while it runs at that res. I can't say honestly that I have any issues with it at 144X1050 even though that is 4:3 aspect. I don't mind the little bars on the side, it's still more than I ever saw on my 19"..lol.

Link me those images and when I get home, I will be happy to check them out for you and reply tonight.

So does it have 1:1 mapping or not?
I'm going to say no, but I am not an expert as I have not truly tested it yet. I know that in theory the ATI Catalyst drivers offer "Centered Timings" as an option that from what I understand is essentially the same thing as 1:1, but I will test this tonight to see if I get stretching or not.

I'm going to say no, but I am not an expert as I have not truly tested it yet. I know that in theory the ATI Catalyst drivers offer "Centered Timings" as an option that from what I understand is essentially the same thing as 1:1, but I will test this tonight to see if I get stretching or not.

so do windows nvidia drivers. I use it all the time on my 19" screen to test websites at different resolutions. go into the nvidia control panel and click on "nView Display Properties" then click the button near the bottom that says "Device Settings >>". Select "Device Adjustments" and then you're presented with four options and the 1:1 option is called "Centered Output". Enjoy.

so do windows nvidia drivers. I use it all the time on my 19" screen to test websites at different resolutions. go into the nvidia control panel and click on "nView Display Properties" then click the button near the bottom that says "Device Settings >>". Select "Device Adjustments" and then you're presented with four options and the 1:1 option is called "Centered Output". Enjoy.

Ah cool. I will check this tonight then and plug a custom rez into 2142 and see if it will run at the full 1680X1050 without stretching. If it comes out that the HUD map shows true round I will be happy. I will try to get some screenshots posted.

does anyone with the 226bw notice the banding in gradiants? i was trying different backgrounds images and a few had really noticabe banding in them caused by color gradiants in the images. some of the images appeared to have banding also when viewed on the CRT monitor (i am running both monitors side-by-side). so i fired up photoshop and created a large image with a gradiant. sure enough, the LCD has banding. ugh.

First of all thanks for your comments and input on this monitor!

Well if your desktop is set to 32bit color and you're noticing color banding on the same exact images displayed on both your LCD and your CRT then the 226BW clearly isn't the culprit.

First of all thanks for your comments and input on this monitor!

Well if your desktop is set to 32bit color and you're noticing color banding on the same exact images displayed on both your LCD and your CRT then the 226BW clearly isn't the culprit.
your welcome.

depending on the background, it seemed some of them did have banding in the original image. (why, who knows.) so that is why i started up Photoshop to get a real image that i know wouldn't have banding (created a 1024x768 image in photoshop and filled the entire image with the gradient tool). when i moved photoshop so half the window was on the LCD and half was on the CRT... the LCD side had banding and the CRT side did not. so i know it was banding for sure.

Anyone else want side by side shots before I take this CRT off the desk?

If you want other specific shots of the LCD, just ask. Camera is here and ready to go anyway.

I did the timer thing and I don't see any lag between the monitors. Maybe in one shot you can see a timer changing numbers (blurred) but the number still clear on the other.

227.jpg

228.jpg

Thanks a lot for those shots! Now I at least know, that the screen is reasonably fast!

I think, you probably don't have the CRT on the desk anymore, but it would be nice to have some 1/1000th resolution of the stopwatch timings like here for the Eizo S2411 (site is in german, pics are language-neutral :) )

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showpost.php?p=5365166&postcount=2789

So, if you have by chance this free demo stopwatch (Virtual Stopwatch - http://www.springcreeksoftware.com/prod_vsw/vsw_frame.html ) and the CRT ready, a 1/1000th shot of the latency would be fine so we can finally distribute real ms-latency values in forums, since I haven't found them anywhere.

But anyway, if you don't want to do that it's fine, you already helped a lot.

Can someone confirm what type of panel this is, ive heard tn and some improved tn, ive also heard s-ips:confused:

I've owned a 226bw for a couple days now. It's amazing, except...

When I run Unreal Tournament 2004 (i'm old school), I play scaled at 1280 * 1024. When I run it in at 1680 * 1050 unscaled, it's feels sluggish. I guess this is what input lag is? I'm thinking this is more of my old TI 4200 video card instead of the monitor, seeing as how the monitor has no input lag any other time. However if it's the video card, I'd figure the game would be choppy instead of having a slow mouse response time. Thoughts?

Monitor looks rad, I think i will wait until they have those 125hz lcds though for fps gaming :)

Thanks a lot for those shots! Now I at least know, that the screen is reasonably fast!

I think, you probably don't have the CRT on the desk anymore, but it would be nice to have some 1/1000th resolution of the stopwatch timings like here for the Eizo S2411 (site is in german, pics are language-neutral :) )

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showpost.php?p=5365166&postcount=2789

So, if you have by chance this free demo stopwatch (Virtual Stopwatch - http://www.springcreeksoftware.com/prod_vsw/vsw_frame.html ) and the CRT ready, a 1/1000th shot of the latency would be fine so we can finally distribute real ms-latency values in forums, since I haven't found them anywhere.

But anyway, if you don't want to do that it's fine, you already helped a lot.

I can try that on the weekend. Heading out of town on business tomorrow. Gone for a few days, but any way that I can help, I'm happy to do so.

Alexheinz:

What more pictures to you want to see? I can take as many as you like from whatever angle you like. It's sitting here ready to be photo'd! =)

Im thinking about switching my gateway 22" with this... Why is it cheaper but has better specs? And would I be able to tell the difference between 5ms and 2ms. I only will be using it for gaming Gears of War/ WOW/ and CS source. Thanks

After reading some more on the comparisons between the LG 22" new display and this new Samsung 22" display and after reading about the deal that Phoenix426 got... I decided to take my LG 22" display back to Best Buy and got a FULL refund... I had paid $420 with tax for the LG display... I wasn't happy with the viewing angles of the LG display so I decided to try out the Samsung...

I am not quite sure how there can be such a big difference between the two displays but the Samsung is by far a better product!!!

I got it for $344 out the door after applying the 10% off coupon that Phoenix426 mentioned he got from EBay. Likewise I did the same thing.. best $1.98 I ever spent! LOL

THANK YOU Phoenix426!!!!!

Seriously folks... I used the LG 22" display for a week and though I felt it was a decent display the Samsung is deffiently the better of the two. What really has me sitting with a big grin is the fact that the Samsung was MUCH cheaper AND it CAME with a DVI cable...

BUY THE SAMSUNG if you are considering the LG... the Samsung 226BW is BETTER than LG L226WT! No question about it... everything from the control panel to the quality of the build/stand makes it the better deal... not to mention you get it cheaper through CC.

Thanks again Phoenix426!!!

I also wanted to mention the viewing angles... wow! the viewing angles are so good that it has me questioning whether this is a true TN display or not???

After reading some more on the comparisons between the LG 22" new display and this new Samsung 22" display and after reading about the deal that Phoenix426 got... I decided to take my LG 22" display back to Best Buy and got a FULL refund... I had paid $420 with tax for the LG display... I wasn't happy with the viewing angles of the LG display so I decided to try out the Samsung...

I am not quite sure how there can be such a big difference between the two displays but the Samsung is by far a better product!!!

I got it for $344 out the door after applying the 10% off coupon that Phoenix426 mentioned he got from EBay. Likewise I did the same thing.. best $1.98 I ever spent! LOL

THANK YOU Phoenix426!!!!!

Seriously folks... I used the LG 22" display for a week and though I felt it was a decent display the Samsung is deffiently the better of the two. What really has me sitting with a big grin is the fact that the Samsung was MUCH cheaper AND it CAME with a DVI cable...

BUY THE SAMSUNG if you are considering the LG... the Samsung 226BW is BETTER than LG L226WT! No question about it... everything from the control panel to the quality of the build/stand makes it the better deal... not to mention you get it cheaper through CC.

Thanks again Phoenix426!!!

What about picture quality on games and video? Which one did you find better?

Hey Kast...

I play World of Warcraft a TON!!! I am really big on colors and want the best look I can afford for the game... Samsung is superior when it comes to games... atleast with World of Warcraft... LOL

I used to be a big FPS man before WoW... but I whip the screen around pretty fast while PvPing to see if folks are coming up behind me... very fast motion it handles just fine!

It just seems like there are more colors thus giving an even better gaming experience not to mention the viewing angles... LOVE the fact that the game looks gorgeous AND I don't have to be sitting dead center of the display..

I have ZERO glow effect on the top and bottom of the display when viewing an entirely black screen. I know some folks have said they get a tiny bit of bleed through on top and bottom as it typical of 22" TN panels but I ain't seeing it... ESPECIALLY compared to the LG display which deffinetly had glow effect on top and bottom... it was slight but next to the Samsung just doesn't compare...

Hope this helps... only been gaming with it for a day now so I will add more insight as I use it for a week or more...

Explanation and time table on those please?

LCD manufacturers have figured out how to insert a black frame between frames sent from the PC.

This doubles the refresh rate, sort of.

Most importantly, the insertion of the black frame wipes away all traces of the previous frame, thus eliminating motion blur and ghosting. If there is no trace of the previous frame, there can be no ghosting.

I think some may already be on the market or on the verge of coming out. I haven't heard pricing, but I assume they will debut at a higher price point.

Here is a nine-page review for 226bw. It's chinese page translated with google. There's good pictures and a video clip that shows NFS carbon.

Here is video review from the same page (chinese also) :cool:

And finally a gallery with 73 pics of this baby. :p

I didn't see any of those links posted here so I thought you might like them...

it's always good to get some sort of review, especially one that compares it to other models, but an english site would be nice too hopefully.

and yeah more input like raphashes, since really i just want to know what is best outside of the NEC 20WMGX2 (or how these newer monitors can stack up to it, or the IPS dell).

consideering these are updated versions i wonder how well they even the playing field? Hopefully somewhere like behardware has an updated widescreen roundup soon to find out this very thing.

i want to see how the new LG and Samsung compares to each other (as raphash breifly did) as well as the Viewsonic 2025 (maybe the best non IPS entry before these new ones?) and the top IPS widescreens

I can try that on the weekend. Heading out of town on business tomorrow. Gone for a few days, but any way that I can help, I'm happy to do so.

Alexheinz:

What more pictures to you want to see? I can take as many as you like from whatever angle you like. It's sitting here ready to be photo'd! =)

Any games (HL2, COD, etc) or any 1080p movie trailers (from apple.com). Things of that nature, if you don't mind. ;)

i know you dont have the means but i'd like to see it photographed next to an LG226, Dell 2007WFP and a Viewsonic 2025wm

I know about the force resolution trick for 2142, but the game itself does not actually support widescreen even by EA's admission. What you end up with is some strecthing while it runs at that res. I can't say honestly that I have any issues with it at 144X1050 even though that is 4:3 aspect. I don't mind the little bars on the side, it's still more than I ever saw on my 19"..lol.

Link me those images and when I get home, I will be happy to check them out for you and reply tonight.
i just played BF2142 again using the command line params i suggested above and it was running in 1680x1050 with no distortion. are you sure you put the "+widescreen 1" param in yours?

also, BF2142 evidently doesn't run very well when there is a second monitor hooked up. i had to disable my second monitor to get the game to load. geez.

as for the links to some images, i will get them up tormorrow. i got home late tonight and haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Wow that's so nice from you :)
Your rank should immediatly be promoted from n00bie to Rookie of the year :)

Ah, and when you are doing it, please try it some pictures with overdrive (or MagicSpeed how it is called in Samsung language) off, and some with overdrive on, would be interesting how much difference there is.

i just played BF2142 again using the command line params i suggested above and it was running in 1680x1050 with no distortion. are you sure you put the "+widescreen 1" param in yours?

also, BF2142 evidently doesn't run very well when there is a second monitor hooked up. i had to disable my second monitor to get the game to load. geez.

as for the links to some images, i will get them up tormorrow. i got home late tonight and haven't had a chance to do that yet.
I did not do the "widescreen" in that shortcut...lol. I will fix that tonight after work.

Could you guys post some of your prefered settings? My Samsung will probably arrive tomorrow, so I wouldn't have to fiddle around for hours finding the best settings ;) Much appreciated!

Is not having 1:1 mapping a big deal if this display is to be used mostly for an Xbox 360?
Would this display be a good one in general to get for the 360?

Get the 206BW if they have it at your Circuit City, its the 20" version of the 226BW. It was $239.99, plus it is possibly on sale this week and a 10% coupon could get you the screen for around $200.

Can someone confirm what type of panel this is, ive heard tn and some improved tn, ive also heard s-ips:confused:

It is the Samsung LTM220M1 WSXGA+ TN panel (this is confirmed by the picture of the service menu of the Chinese review site linked to a few pages ago). Specs are availible here. Note that the quoted response time is black-to-black and the contrast static.

What I am curious about is the states 16.7 million colors. I cannot find in any Samsung literature how this is achieved, even though Samsung has been quoting 16.7M colors for their TN panels for quite a long time. I would assume through some sort of FRC mechanism, since I didn't think it was possible to build a natively 8-bit TN panel (although maybe Samsung does?).

Mofongo

the samsung 20" has significant backlight bleed if i remember correctly

It is the Samsung LTM220M1 WSXGA+ TN panel (this is confirmed by the picture of the service menu of the Chinese review site linked to a few pages ago). Specs are availible here. Note that the quoted response time is black-to-black and the contrast static.

What I am curious about is the states 16.7 million colors. I cannot find in any Samsung literature how this is achieved, even though Samsung has been quoting 16.7M colors for their TN panels for quite a long time. I would assume through some sort of FRC mechanism, since I didn't think it was possible to build a natively 8-bit TN panel (although maybe Samsung does?).

Mofongo

Samsung term their 16.7 million colour TN panels "6-bit+ Hi FRC", but they still use FRC technologies rather than true 8-bit colour depth. For those who asked earlier, this is a TN Film panel as said above, but it looks an impressive screen :)

i dont get it, why do people keep saying to get the 206BW because it's smaller and has the same resolution? wouldnt that make the 22" a better buy, since you get a bigger screen but at the same native resolution (and thus the same performance hit)?

Mofongo
i found this article the other night. maybe it will help (if it is what Samsung is actually doing is anyone's guess though)...

6-Bit vs. 8-Bit....PVA/MVA vs. TN Film: Are Things Changing?

Back