Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Sorry if this has been answered, but is there any input lag?
i haven't noticed any myself. the only "problem" i could say that i am having is there is some banding in the blue gradients. red and green gradients look fine, but blue has some banding to it.

The highest setting you can put the Xbox 360 is 1280x1024 it does not give the option for 1680. It does give the option for 1920 but the monitor will not allow it.

I did not see any stretching because the XBOX 360 was set on wide screen. There are no black bars on the side. The picture is beautiful. I really did not notice it with gears of war but with NBA 2007 you can really see the colors.

I have not changed anything in the settings.

When I get home tonight I will play around with it more.

Oh yeah Radio Shack has the VGA monster cable for $29.99. That is the one that I use.

I went to Circuit City and bought a 226. This thing is nice. I used to have a Sceptre X22. The computer looks the same as the Sceptre through the DVI but the Xbox 360 looks so much better. I did not notice that the sceptre was making the screen bigger for the 360 so I saw less of the game. My settings are still the way it came out the box I have not messed with that yet. The colors are much better than the scepter also

OMG a person with a next-gen console and 226BW. Man I have so many things to ask. First of all do you see any small black bars in the top and bottom of the screen when you set your X360 at 720p?(which would mean that the monitor keeps the aspect ratio of the signal (16:9) instead of just stretching everything to 16:10 which is the monitor's aspect ratio) If not, can you find an option where you can configure the monitor's aspect ratio to 16:9? Also did you notice any input lag while playing? Thank you in advance.

edit: just saw your new post. I'd appreciate it if you could anwer my questions when you go home. :)

Oh and in case anyone has a PS3 please write your impressions in case you connect it to the DVI.

I think that this monitor "Samsung 226BW" will be my next monitor.

Quite a leap from a BenQ FP931.

Size: 19" -> 22"
Response TIme: 16ms -> 2ms
Contrast Ratio: 8000:1 -> 3000:1

:D

When you input the settings for a computer monitor on the 360 with vga it does not ask you 720p or 1080i. It ask for the resolution. It does not have 1680x1080 as an option so you have to chose 1280x1024. There are two higher than that which is 1920x1080 and 1300???(Not sure of the number. The you chose the screen format 4:3 or 16:9. My son has an Xbox 360 on a 4:3 screen and I see more on my screen so I don't think that it stretches the image. You can also do the auto adjust on the monitor. I have not tried it.

I have a Samsung 30 inch HDcrt and the 360 looks much better on the 226BW.

I hooked up my PS3 to the 226BW via "DVI -> HDMI". I could only set it to 720p as it doesnt support 1080i/p. It does NOT do 1:1 mapping, it filled the screen. I MAY check it again as i was so excited to get my ps3 on with this monitor. THe picture is beautiful IF you sit about 4-7 feet away. Other than that, you will see blurriness and jaggies because LCD monitors do not handle images LESS than the optimal resolution. But if you sit 4-7 feet away playing the ps3, it's stunning. I haven't tried normal computer distance yet, but i'll get back to you on it.

What if you play a computer game that supports widescreen? Does it put it in 16:9 and stretch, or do computer games give you the option for 16:10 resolutions?

What if you play a computer game that supports widescreen? Does it put it in 16:9 and stretch, or do computer games give you the option for 16:10 resolutions?
depends on the game. many more games are starting to support 1680x1050 (or any widescreen) resolution. or there are hacks out there (if you search) that will get you into a 16:10 resolution. i believe games usually do not support 16:9 resolution b/c widescreen LCD's are 16:10.

in the week i have had the monitor, i have played BF2142, Rail Road Tycoon Demo, Supreme Commander Demo, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and HL2 all at 1680x1050. Supereme commander was cool, it supports dual monitors, so it was playing on both my 22" LCD and 19" CRT. cool!

i tried to get Need For Speed: Carbon working, but it would only support 1280x1024 stretched (i found a hack online that supposedly got you into widescreen, but it did not work).

for this reason, i am keeping my old 19" CRT on my desk next to my LCD in a dual monitor setup. so when i encounter a game that does not want to go widescreen, i can just switch primary monitors and be on my way. although that CRT looks REALLY DARK next to the LCD. i might have to save up and get a 20" 4:3 LCD monitor :)

anyone see the March '07 issue yet? they review the Samsung 206BW with three other monitors. the samsung got a 9 kicka$$ rating. the HP L2045W got a 9 rating, the viewsonic VX2035WM got an 8, and the NEC 20WMGX2 got a 4.

When you input the settings for a computer monitor on the 360 with vga it does not ask you 720p or 1080i. It ask for the resolution. It does not have 1680x1080 as an option so you have to chose 1280x1024. There are two higher than that which is 1920x1080 and 1300???(Not sure of the number. The you chose the screen format 4:3 or 16:9. My son has an Xbox 360 on a 4:3 screen and I see more on my screen so I don't think that it stretches the image. You can also do the auto adjust on the monitor. I have not tried it.

I have a Samsung 30 inch HDcrt and the 360 looks much better on the 226BW.

Thank you.

I hooked up my PS3 to the 226BW via "DVI -> HDMI". I could only set it to 720p as it doesnt support 1080i/p. It does NOT do 1:1 mapping, it filled the screen. I MAY check it again as i was so excited to get my ps3 on with this monitor. THe picture is beautiful IF you sit about 4-7 feet away. Other than that, you will see blurriness and jaggies because LCD monitors do not handle images LESS than the optimal resolution. But if you sit 4-7 feet away playing the ps3, it's stunning. I haven't tried normal computer distance yet, but i'll get back to you on it.

Well that sucks. Not only it doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping it also doesn't keep the aspect ratio. Can you check if at least there's an option for 16:9? I have no problem with stretching but not respecting the aspect ratio of the signal is just inexcusable for me.

I recently picked up this monitor and I love it except for what seems to me to be an excessive amount of tearing. Im running it on a 7950gx2. Anyone else feel tearing to be an issue??? I tried enabling vsync but if seems to lug it down just a bit.

I recently picked up this monitor and I love it except for what seems to me to be an excessive amount of tearing. Im running it on a 7950gx2. Anyone else feel tearing to be an issue??? I tried enabling vsync but if seems to lug it down just a bit.
unfortunately my video card isn't quiet powerful enough to run most modern games at 1680x1050 @ 60FPS. so enabling vsync isn't really noticable for me. i would bet though that if you are used to a much higher framerate, then enabling vsync would impact your experience. just one of those life altering decisions you will have to make :)

Thank you.

Well that sucks. Not only it doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping it also doesn't keep the aspect ratio. Can you check if at least there's an option for 16:9? I have no problem with stretching but not respecting the aspect ratio of the signal is just inexcusable for me.

Doesn't seem like you can set it to 16:9, however playing the ps3, you really can't even tell. It doesnt effect the image that much at all. I play on it all the time. And also an update, i sit about 2 feet away, i'm wrong it's still beautiful. Monitor says the resolution is 1280x720, whatever that is. i set the ps3 to "720p". HOpe that helps. Personally the monitor looks absolutely stunning.

... ok I'm really confused now. :confused:

If the monitor says the resolution is 1280x720, that's 16:9 aspect ratio. Are there small black bars at the top and bottom?

also, how do ps2 and psone games look - do they display correctly in 4:3?

I'm thinking about buying the 19" version of this series, the 906BW... which is smaller and has lower resolution, but that'll help with scaling and be easier on the old standard-def games (and even lower... aren't psone titles in 320x240 or something?) which is why I'm mainly getting this monitor for. I'll be playing those through the PS3 and maybe try the vdigi component-vga transcoder for gamecube.

looking at this thread it seems that it's not what I expected and should probably not buy it, but there haven't been enough impressions with game consoles.

thanks a lot for all the impressions guys.

edit: and btw, how come only circuit city has these new models? why don't newegg, amazon, etc. carry them?

There are no black bars. And i take it back, in the console, the picture is fine, but in games, it's a little blurry and shows jaggies (prolly because it doesnt do the 1:1 mapping). THis monitor only looks awseome when displaying at it's native.

... ok I'm really confused now. :confused:

If the monitor says the resolution is 1280x720, that's 16:9 aspect ratio. Are there small black bars at the top and bottom?

Seems like the monitor informs you of the resolution of the input signal not the resolution it stretches the image to.

There are no black bars. And i take it back, in the console, the picture is fine, but in games, it's a little blurry and shows jaggies (prolly because it doesnt do the 1:1 mapping). THis monitor only looks awseome when displaying at it's native.

Expected. No aspect ratio, no 1:1 pixel mapping. It was a given it'll look like crap. Thanks a lot Samsung, now I still can't decide. I mean c'mon would it be that difficult to at least put a freaking 16:9 option or a keep aspect ratio function? Seriously.

Does anyone have the LG L226WT and a 360 or PS3? Does it have the same problem (no 1:1 pixel mapping - no keep aspect ratio function)?

have you taken alook a the Gateway? it has all of that and hardware de-interlaceing and up/down scaleing

have you taken alook a the Gateway? it has all of that and hardware de-interlaceing and up/down scaleing

Gateway and Sceptre haven't released their monitors in most parts of Europe. Which sucks for me and for them because I would have bought one of their 22" monitors. Oh well I guess I'll give up buy the Samsung and eventually buy an HDTV too. Seriously though, Samsung sucks. It's 2007 for god's sake, haven't they learned that at least a rudimentary scaling option is necessary? Damnit.

Gateway and Sceptre haven't released their monitors in most parts of Europe. Which sucks for me and for them because I would have bought one of their 22" monitors. Oh well I guess I'll give up buy the Samsung and eventually buy an HDTV too. Seriously though, Samsung sucks. It's 2007 for god's sake, haven't they learned that at least a rudimentary scaling option is necessary? Damnit.

i'm confused, why does samsung suck? behind the NEC it seems like "the" monitor to get, at least quality wise. If you're saying it sucks just because of the lack of a the 1:1 feature, well alot of monitors are very up in the air about that (seriously, someone asks about whether any monitor here has 1:1 on every page), but as a "PC" monitor, how do they suck?

Hey guys Im thinknig about getting this monitor to go along with the 360 (VGA) and PC (DVI) and how the pic is really like with 360? I mean does it have a really good picture? cheers..

i'm confused, why does samsung suck? behind the NEC it seems like "the" monitor to get, at least quality wise. If you're saying it sucks just because of the lack of a the 1:1 feature, well alot of monitors are very up in the air about that (seriously, someone asks about whether any monitor here has 1:1 on every page), but as a "PC" monitor, how do they suck?

I'm not saying the monitor sucks I'm saying Samsung sucks and every monitor manufacturer that doesn't even put a keep aspect ratio function or at least a 16:9 option. Seriously is it that hard to put a keep aspect ratio function? It's not even costly all they have to do is program the damn firmware. And btw 1:1 scaling (or a "keep aspect ratio" function) is needed not just for console gaming but many times for PC gaming too. So yes it's needed on a "PC" monitor.

Hey guys Im thinknig about getting this monitor to go along with the 360 (VGA) and PC (DVI) and how the pic is really like with 360? I mean does it have a really good picture? cheers..

Like people said in this thread the monitor stretches everything so keep your expectations low. Very low.

I'm not saying the monitor sucks I'm saying Samsung sucks and every monitor manufacturer that doesn't even put a keep aspect ratio function or at least a 16:9 option. Seriously is it that hard to put a keep aspect ratio function? It's not even costly all they have to do is program the damn firmware. And btw 1:1 scaling (or a "keep aspect ratio" function) is needed not just for console gaming but many times for PC gaming too. So yes it's needed on a "PC" monitor.

Like people said in this thread the monitor stretches everything so keep your expectations low. Very low.

so you want it so certain PC games that do not support the widescreen resolution will play in 4:3 mode and the samsung does not have that option? albeit honestly i'm not sure which monitors do, and have the feeling that if someone is looking for a quality performing display, that may not be a garunteed add in at this moment.

...Seriously though, Samsung sucks. It's 2007 for god's sake, haven't they learned that at least a rudimentary scaling option is necessary? Damnit.

They also taken the height adjustment from the 225BW away on this 226BW, shame.

Seriously is it that hard to put a keep aspect ratio function? It's not even costly all they have to do is program the damn firmware.

And btw 1:1 scaling (or a "keep aspect ratio" function) is needed not just for console gaming but many times for PC gaming too. So yes it's needed on a "PC" monitor.

It's not really an issue for PC gaming however, since your video drivers can handle forcing aspect ratio just fine. Unless somehow the Samsung ignores even the PC video drivers.

But regardless, you're right. There is zero reason that any monitor should not include aspect ratio settings in firmware. It would make them all much more attractive and sellable at virtually no cost to the manufacturer. Hell, they could just release it as a firmware update if they wanted (e.g. Dell's rev 01/02/03 on the 2007WFP).

for those running an xbox or ps3 using this monitor, how are you guys hooking up sound? I am using HDMI -> DVI and i don't know how to export sound. I chose sound setting as multi AV but it doesnt ouput to my tv speakers. ANy suggestions?

I found this new comparison with eleven 22-inch LCD displays. It includes:

Acer AL2216w
AOC 210V
ASUS MW221U
Meiji JT229ZP
LG L226WT
U.S.-Georgia WB22D
BenQ FP222W
Samsung 225BW
Samsung 226BW
ViewSonic VX2235wm
ViewSonic VX2245wm

It's a chinese site translated with google and I think the translation is pretty decent.
Btw. 226BW was the clear winner of the comparison. My decision is made! :)

Nice review; my decsion is made; 226.

ZipZoomFly just listed the 226BW for $360 after $30 rebate with free shipping, although they do not have it in stock yet. You could potentially save on sales tax over CC, although CC might still be cheaper with a 10% off coupon).

Also NCIX has it in stock, but is charging $487 Canadian for it! ($415 U.S.).

But it looks like it's finally starting to filter to other sellers.

Mofongo

Was gonna order a Dell 2007WFP, but I think I will be getting the Samsung instread. It sucks that it doesn't have a height adjustment.

I just bought this monitor yesterday. Great monitor! I just have a little problem with tilt. The people who say you can tilt this monitor, how are you guys doing this? The black stand that connects to the round thing, seems to not move at all. I'm trying to make this monitor completely flat with no tilt at all. Because of the tilt, i get darker colors on the top of the monitor from my viewing angle. Please help

Ordered this one as well. Should be here sometime next week and I'll put some pictures up for everyone :)

I picked up this monitor Friday night from Circuit City. They sure don't stay in stock around here very long! I am coming from a 2005FPW

The monitor is considerably larger than my 20" widescreen. Colors, response time, etc, are all fantastic, but it did require quite a bit of tweaking for the brightness, contrast, and color settings out of the box to suit my tastes.

It is great for gaming, and once the colors are tweaked, they look vivid.

My only real issue with it is the viewing angle seems to cause the bottom to look washed out in comparison to the top of the screen. To really see how the monitor *should* look, you have to have it back quite a bit and not work with your nose up on the screen.

Is this typical of these types of panels? I sit about 2 feet from the screen.

just out of curiosity, i'm currently using a dell inspiron 9300 laptop, i wonder what type of LCD screen it has so i know where i'm coming from if i get this or any other monitor.

As promised, here are some comparison images. If they appear washed out, it is because of window glare. These shots are taken in my recreation room which has a 3 pane sliding glass pocket door leading out to the pool on one side and a rather large window on the other. Nearly impossible to stop the light from coming in. However, I should say that the camera is collecting more glare and light then my eyes are. The images are not washed out or full of glare in person.

For Oblivion, which natively supports widescreen, I was running on 1680x1050. I then switched to 1024x768 using the ingame settings, exited the game and restarted. It seems to me that 1024x768 on Oblivion shows less screen (as it should) and then the monitor stretches it.

For 2142, which does not natively support widescreen, I use the command line interface to run "+widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050". I then created a new shortcut using "+fullscreen 1 +szx 1024 +szy 768", to get non native resolution. In 2142, you can clearly see some differences if you look at the building. You can really see how the monitor stretching the image affects the geometry of the building. I have nothing to compare this on a 4:3 native monitor (no pics), so I don't know which of these is more correct.

I tried all of this with and without the ATI "center timing" mode and that setting basically made no difference in these games. It appears the monitor will just stretch the other resolutions rather than putting black bars on the side of the screen no matter how you have center timing set.

Oblivion Load Up Screen: 1680x1050
oblivion1680x1050.jpg

Oblivion In Game 1680x1050
oblivion1680x1050ingame.jpg

Oblivion In Game 1024x768
oblivion1024x768ingame.jpg

Battlefield 2142 1680x1050
bf21421680x1050.jpg

Battlefield 2142 1024x768
bf21421024x768.jpg

Back