Samsung 940BW (19" WS w/ 4ms response time), Thoughts??

I decided to get the regular 19" instead of widescreen.

I have it set up next to my crappy 17" lcd if anyone wnats a comparison I'll post pics later

I bought the 940BW and the 931BF and both are real good monitors. No ghosting or dead pixels yet.

Here are 2 pics of the 940bw next to my crt. The crt has an 18" screen (just measuring the viewable area). After measuring each, I ended up losing 1/2" in height and gained 1 3/4" in width by going to the 19"WS. I am not feeling it is small at all. Here are two pics, so you can be the judge (not the LCD is not at the same level as the CRT so take that into account). I do like the vibrant colors of the LCD, it looks great right of the box. I did not adjust any settings but turned down the brightness. Now to play some CS:S :D

Without flash

With flash

I really appreciate you going to the trouble of posting pictures, I think you just sold me. Going to pick it up tommorrow

Well dang, too bad i don't get a commision lol :D

Been playing CS:S and really enjoying it it is really nice. Plus i got it running at 75hz so that makes it even cooler. Well glad I could help you make your desicion.

On another note: both a vga and a dvi cable are included with this LCD so don't bother buying one. This is an added bonus as i guess many lcds don't come with dvi cables.

I got the 931B if you want comparison to a 17" LCD here it is. What sucks is they tacked on an extra $8 at best buy for the recycling tax. The size difference raelly helps when playing games, I haven't hooked up a DVI cable yet but when I play DOD:S I can shoot people from a farther distance with greater accuracy than before

with flash
DSC04834.jpg

without flash
DSC04831.jpg

freakycody said:
Here are 2 pics of the 940bw next to my crt. The crt has an 18" screen (just measuring the viewable area). After measuring each, I ended up losing 1/2" in height and gained 1 3/4" in width by going to the 19"WS. I am not feeling it is small at all. Here are two pics, so you can be the judge (not the LCD is not at the same level as the CRT so take that into account). I do like the vibrant colors of the LCD, it looks great right of the box. I did not adjust any settings but turned down the brightness. Now to play some CS:S :D

Without flash

With flash

If the res. on the 19" were a bit higher It's totally a great deal. Its almost as big as the 20" and looks damn nice. Great buys I think (The new "BW" line from Samsung).

Just curious, will games like WoW look squished (top and bottom wise) on a wide screen?

Thanks.

WldWzl said:
Just curious, will games like WoW look squished (top and bottom wise) on a wide screen?

Thanks.

Nope new games such as WoW support widescreen resolutions so it will not be squished at all., It will give you a wider view that you would not have seen if you are playing with a 4:3 aspect crt (standard). Just think of a movie, the fullscreen video has the sides cut off but if you watch it in widescreen you see everything. It is the same basic principle for games such as WoW and prtty much all newer games.

Very cool thank you, I am thinking of getting one of these to replace my Viewsonic 17" LCD.

freakycody said:
Without flash

Great comparison pics, thanks for that. Looking at this pic though, it looks like the crt has a better and more defined view to it, or could this have to do with the lcd's contrast and brightness settings?

When I took the picture I was not at the correct viewing angle for the LCD. but when I am sitting at my desk looking at the LCD it looks really nice, I would say the picture is more vibrant and crisp on the LCD then on the CRT.

It was a hard decesion between the 931B and 931BF, but I walked out with a 931B and a 940BW. Both are great..

i compared it to a 20" WS and realized my PC would have trouble running games at the native res of 20" and therefore I would need to grab a more expensive WS with good scaling, so that basically meant I had to spend twice as much. Since this was 216 after taxes and the dell 2007wfp was 367 before taxes, i decided to be the budget minded college student and get the cheaper monitor. This way I can play games at native res and still have a very good image. And don't listen to the naysayers of the 19"WS, they say it is too small but it is not (their just use to the 20" WS). I was coming from a 19" CRT and this comparable in size. Personally though I would go look at it in person at Bestbuy. You should judge things yourself before investing a lot of money, don't rely on others to tell u what to do (like what I am doing :D ).

I almot bought one at Bestbuy yesterday but they were out of stock. it's $199 right now since there is a $60 instant rebate. But $199 seems like the normal price for a 19"WS DVI-D monitor nowadays. they only had maybe 4 crt monitors on display as well, which is what I prefer but I am most likely going to have to go LCD.

I picked up the Samsung 205BW about 1.5 weeks ago and have no complaints with it. Check out some photos here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1076405&page=19&pp=20

The Samsung uses an 8-bit TN-III panel. I was comparing it to the LG L204WT, also TN, but returned the LG as the Samsung was smoother with better colours and had a height-adjustable stand. I too couldn't justify the extra price for the Samsung 215TW - I think this one meets my needs at the moment.

As backlight bleeding, all LCD's do it to some degree. The current trend on newer LCD's is a bit of bleeding at the extreme upper/lower edges. Corners seem fairly clean for the most part. The Samsung is decent, no complaints from on the backlight.

I guess my fear is loosing viewing space moving from a 17" LCD to a 19" WS LCD.

WldWzl said:
I guess my fear is loosing viewing space moving from a 17" LCD to a 19" WS LCD.

You should not be losing any space, a 19"WS is prolly the same height as a 17" but with more view due to the increased space on both sides. Go to a store and see, Seeing it in person will help.

freakycody said:
You should not be losing any space, a 19"WS is prolly the same height as a 17" but with more view due to the increased space on both sides. Go to a store and see, Seeing it in person will help.
NO, a 19 inch widescreen is not as tall as a standard 17inch lcd.

Help!!

So after saying how good this lcd is, I have an issue.
please go to my thread and read.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029876129#post1029876129

If you have a samsung 940BW could u set your refresh rate at 75hz and then check it on the OSD (On screen display), it is in the information tab on the LCDs menu. Please post on my other thread if it does infact say it is running at 75hz or 60hz like mine is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shit, hopefully this is just a fluke as I really like this monitor.

Hmm, well I read through your thread and have yet to experience anything like that. I would however do as was suggested, and make sure the monitor is running at 60hz, not 75. I would also try to update the driver, as I'm sure whatever is provided on the cd is not as current.

Anyways I ended up picking up this monitor tonight. I just got it up and running about 20 minutes ago, but so far I'm digging it. It is definitely bright, right out of the package. I have to say I love the idea of the back panel / wire management. Clearly the only con I can see immediately is the size. I'm going from a standard 19inch LCD to this WS LCD and am now without at least a good 1 1/2 inches - 2 inches of screen. I of course need to mess around with it for a bit more before I ultimately decide which one I'm going to keep, but so far so good.

I've attached a few pictures for reference (don't mind the mess, I'm in the process of cleaning up), I also will hopefully post new pictures tommorrow as the ones I have provided were just a few I snapped quickly.

CIMG1067.jpg

CIMG1064.jpg

CIMG1062.jpg

yhmm well I think my problem was the fact I was trying to run at 75hz which it is not capable of doing ober the dvi cable, so lets hope running at 60hz will eliminate the problem. I have a feeling that was the cause.

Z(+)DIAC, nice comparison pics, i do see the apparent loss in height of the lcd, but I have a feeling once u play a game at widescreen or watch a movie you will like the widescreen better. but if you are working on papers I can see the standard non WS lcd being a better choice. unless u buy a new stand and set this monitor in portait mode..

I just picked up the 940BW at BB today. I found a 30% coupon, but they wouldnt let me use it for this, or the Raptor I also picked up :mad: I like the 940BW overall. And the included DVI cable is a nice add. For $199 im a happy camper :D

i too tried to use the 30% coupon, but they would not let me as a monitor is not an acessory. That is crap about the harddrive you should have been able to use the coupon on it. Glad you are happy, I am back to being very thrilled about my 940bw once I figured out what I was doing wrong :p

PaHick said:
I just picked up the 940BW at BB today. I found a 30% coupon, but they wouldnt let me use it for this, or the Raptor I also picked up :mad: I like the 940BW overall. And the included DVI cable is a nice add. For $199 im a happy camper :D
the 940BW comes with a DVI cable?? thats strange because most of Samungs standard 19inch lcd monitors dont.

trek554 said:
the 940BW comes with a DVI cable?? thats strange because most of Samungs standard 19inch lcd monitors dont.

Yeah it comes with a DVI cable, surprised me too. I'll tell ya, the longer I play with this the more happy I am. Im really impressed.

got it from OfficeMax for $175 (used 40 off 200) OTD last week. It comes with the non-adjustable stand. dvi cable included.

here is 940bw with my old 17 inch 173s

dsc1006wr3.jpg

i just found this thread and i'm getting excited :p . so samsung finally released a 19" WS LCD very nice. i've been waiting for a inexpensive WS LCD and this is perfect. i currently have a 930B right now, which i love, but always wanted a WS.

oh, and to freakycody, i'm using dvi on my 930B w/ 75hz refresh rate and i play CS:S just fine. my 930B didn't come with a dvi cable so i had to buy one separately at bestbuy, since at the time i worked there so i got one for cheap. it might be the dvi cable that is causing it but i could be wrong.

NO, a 19 inch widescreen is not as tall as a standard 17inch lcd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The difference isn't be that much. Coming from a 19 inch CRT (18inch diagonal), I lost about 2 cm. Coming from a 17inch LCD you lose 1.5 cm.

aiya said:
oh, and to freakycody, i'm using dvi on my 930B w/ 75hz refresh rate and i play CS:S just fine. my 930B didn't come with a dvi cable so i had to buy one separately at bestbuy, since at the time i worked there so i got one for cheap. it might be the dvi cable that is causing it but i could be wrong.

hmm that is interesting. 60hz is not bothering me so I will stick with that, once i get some cash maybe I will grab a new DVI cable (high quality one) to see if i can run at 75hz... You will have to let me know when get the 940bw if you can.

freakycody said:
hmm that is interesting. 60hz is not bothering me so I will stick with that, once i get some cash maybe I will grab a new DVI cable (high quality one) to see if i can run at 75hz... You will have to let me know when get the 940bw if you can.
haha will do, and i wouldn't call my dvi cable 'high quality', its dynex brand AKA bestbuy brand. but some dynex stuff is decent quality and if it turns out to be their dvi cables then lucky me :D .

freakycody said:

I can only do 60hz on the 205BW with DVI connection (although its 1680x1050). I can't tell a difference in the 75hz of my previous 19" and 60hz on the Samsung.

PaHick said:
Yeah it comes with a DVI cable, surprised me too. I'll tell ya, the longer I play with this the more happy I am. Im really impressed.

Ok, stupid question time - does it come w/ a VGA cable as well?

trek554 said:
of course.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure. Think I'm going to go check one of these out locally, but it's looking like a definite contender to replace my CRT.

Back