Samsung 940BW (19" WS w/ 4ms response time), Thoughts??

I CANNOT vouch for the 941BW, but I would assume it is, since the 940BW is:

"With future HD (high-definition) compatibility in mind, the 940BW includes High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) support, which will enable future protected content to be played when used with other compatible hardware."

I just opened up my 941BW last night and it has a long sticker with logos on it (on left side of screen). HDCP was definately one of the "Logos."

I just got it up and running... DVI at 60hz works good. Samsung Monitor drivers were easy to install. I haven't checked for dead pixels or bad backlight bleed yet. Haven't really setup Brightness/contrast, etc... yet. Just crancked down brightness from 100 to 35 arbitraitly.

sorry for bumping this old thread, but i didn't want to create a new one because my question concerns both of screens discussed here

does anyone know if there is anything at all different, physically, with the 940bw vs the 941bw, in terms of the outer casing, and logo/button placement? i will be getting the 941bw from newegg this week and i'm hoping the only difference whatsoever will be the logo in the upper left-hand corner (SyncMaster 940BW and SyncMaster 941BW)

hey guys, i'm having a bit of a problem choosing between monitors.
I just got a 941BW for christmas today.. but i found out my mom bought it before it was on sale ($199cdn on sale but she paid $260 for it).. so im wondering if i should keep it or trade it in and pay the extra $30 to go to a 20.1inch LG (L204WT) 2000:1 contrast (allegedly) and 1680 vs this monitors 1440
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075693&catid=
i do a lot of video editing and this will be my first LCD ever.. its replacing my dual 19inch crt's (NEC MultiSync 95's)
bigger is usually better and the higher resolution would be good for editing im thinking..
but i dont think my system can handle the native resolution for gaming to be sure.
for reference my system specs are as follows:
A64 X2 3800+ S939 (stock speed.. had it up to 2.7 but had no reason to keep it there)
2GB pc3200 dual channel stock speed (mix between kingston hyperx pc3500 and corsair valueram pc3200)
XFX 7600GT 256MB XXX Edition PCI-E 'stock' overclock speeds.
1.3TB hardrive space blah blah blah useless for this thread info

anyways, right now i play a lot of games at 1360x1024 or 1280x960.. could probablly go higher but i like to keep my refresh rate at 85hz or higher if i can and thats all my crappy crt's can go. since this isnt a problem on LCDs i figure 1440 wouldnt be much of a problem.. but 1680 much likely would be.

any thoughts? i heard LG was supposed to be pretty respectable when it comes to LCD's these days.. and higher contrast ratio has to be better even if its fake, doesnt it?
ill try not to spam this post but i have to leave town soon and if im gonna return this one i have to do it within two days :(
thanks guys

i got my 941bw today and it is pretty good. only thing that is bugging me is that there is a noticable backlight problem. the bottem of the screen is a bit bright and can sometimes get on my nerves when using the internet and other applications. although in games, i dont really notice the backlight problem. i cant decide if i want to RMA it or not.
edit: here is a picture of the backlight problem

from what i've read the backlight is a pretty common problem so i dunno if its worth your time.

well i have around 30 days to think about it so i will see what happens. i have not read alot of backlight problems with this monitor. care to share some links?

sorry i dont really have the links handy but here's a comparison between the samsung 205bw
and the LG L204WT (20.1inch comparison)
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030302311&postcount=765
ive read others though and it seems fairly consistant that most of the samsungs have a unbalanced backlight in some way.. ive read that it was the top left, the bottom right, all along the bottom, etc. though it appears practically all lcd's have this problem. the LG there that i want seems to be a bit more minor so im mostly likely gonna go for that one.

@CletisMckloskey47

I have the exact same problem with my 940bw. :(

It's really annoying having the bottom brighter!

I'll try to connect it via analog mode, to see if it's different...

Maybe we should RMA it...? :(

RainStorm said:
@CletisMckloskey47

I've got the 940BW and have NO issues with the backlighting. It's a VERY bright monitor at most of the default brightness levels, though.

As a side note, I got it for $129.99 from BestBuy on Black Friday. Yesterday, I was at Office Max and saw one there.... $249.99 with a $20 instant rebate, for $229.99. I feel real good at the moment. Only wish I could get a second. :p

Post some pics RGMBill, I'm getting this LCD in the week and I'm anxious to play around with it. For now I gotta just be content with looking at other peoples 940s :p .

RGMBill said:
I've got the 940BW and have NO issues with the backlighting. It's a VERY bright monitor at most of the default brightness levels, though.

As a side note, I got it for $129.99 from BestBuy on Black Friday. Yesterday, I was at Office Max and saw one there.... $249.99 with a $20 instant rebate, for $229.99. I feel real good at the moment. Only wish I could get a second. :p

Mine makes a "brightness gradient": darker top, brighter bottom. And I can't adjust that playing with the view/monitor angle. :\

feo said:
Post some pics RGMBill, I'm getting this LCD in the week and I'm anxious to play around with it. For now I gotta just be content with looking at other peoples 940s :p .

Sure, but only if you tell me what you want on screen to see what's what with the monitor.

I DON'T play much FPSes, though I do game; however, I just blitzed my whole system, and literally, the only games installed are NWN2 (which my video card (a 7600GS) doesn't do justice at the 1440x900 res, though the new BFG 7600GT coming at the end of the week should :p ). The only other games installed are GalCiv in it's three incarnations, and Civ3. None of those will excite you.

I could do some shots static white, static black, etc. Or I could put in a DVD (haven't installed any DVD software yet.... but I'd love to see something on it in HD).

BTW, the "Magic Zone" feature of the monitor CAN produce a non-uniform look on the screen... but that's a FEATURE of the monitor, that can be turned off (though it IS turned on by default; I'm curious if folks who are talking about gradient issues have the MagicTune Zone turned on?).

Well im pretty much gonna be using it equally for browsing, watchin downloaded tv shows and HD, playing games and also for Photoshop. So if you can get some HD clips then it'd be great if u could post some screenshots of that.

You can also put pics with your civ games I dont mind:).

All you guys with the darker top half problem, is your monitor dark when seeing the fullscreen red, green and blue colors in Dead Pixel Buddy? If it isn't then it should not be a backlight problem, most likely the black pixels are messed up?

Shaman said:
All you guys with the darker top half problem, is your monitor dark when seeing the fullscreen red, green and blue colors in Dead Pixel Buddy? If it isn't then it should not be a backlight problem, most likely the black pixels are messed up?

One thing I noticed is that the "brightness gradient" is clearly visible with darker colors...

i do not notice it as much with the standard colors in DPB but when i use a custom color that is dark, i notice it. i have started to get over it but it will still bug me sometimes.

Can someone please help me! Anyone using Natural Color that came with the monitor 940BW? I uses the program to have the gamma higher so the color would be darker and more vibrant. The problem is, I applied & saved the profile for the adjustments that I've made, also went to color managment under display/advance and changed the color profile to the one I saved from Natural color. The next time I turn on my computer the colors are what I want, but after the computer is completely boot up, the colors changes back to default(kinda washed out color).

Anyone know why it does this? I want to use Adobe Gamma but it's too expensive and the crack version I downloaded doesn't come with Adobe gamma. Plus, those free gamma calibrate softwares doesn't auto load when windows boot up.

When I play back a 4:3 dvd (eg. a TV series on dvd), it displays severe overscan. There don't seem to be any settings on the PS3 or the sammy to adjust this. The PS3 is hooked up via the dvi port on the monitor.

Playback over vga with the x360 or a computer is fine, so I'm wondering if it's the PS3 that is the problem?

i got my 941bw today and it is pretty good. only thing that is bugging me is that there is a noticable backlight problem. the bottem of the screen is a bit bright and can sometimes get on my nerves when using the internet and other applications. although in games, i dont really notice the backlight problem. i cant decide if i want to RMA it or not.
edit: here is a picture of the backlight problem

@CletisMckloskey47

Have you guys turned off "Magic Zone" like RGMBill suggested to see if that helps?

I purchased both an Acer 22" LCD and a Samsung 941BW 19" LCD. While I like the styling and some of the features on the 941bw better than I do the Acer, I think the video playback is much better on the Acer than the Samsung - mainly the black/dark areas of the video being better represented on the Acer. I'm pretty sure this is due to the contrast ratio of the Acer being 800:1 and the Samsung is only 500:1. Basically, video playback looks washed out on the Samsung with the black/dark areas being somewhat reddish/purplish and over saturated, yet everything else besides video playback looks wonderful on the Samsung. Video playback on the Acer looks great...black/dark areas are well represented. Maybe I'm just being too picky and I doubt it's a driver issue. Anyone else experience this?

Also, I have a Radeon 8500 and am able to run each monitor at their native resolutions; I've also tried tweaking the contrast and other settings but no luck - the Acer still looks better. I kind of preferred the Samsung because of it's smaller size and it just seems to be a better built monitor (also has less backlight bleed), but I do a lot of video work so I think that's more important to me and I can live with the backlight bleed of the Acer. Just curious if there's something I'm missing here. Thanks!

Back