Samsung 940BW (19" WS w/ 4ms response time), Thoughts??

I love both of mine...

DSCF0327.jpg

DSCF0326.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

I just got the Samsung 940BW yesterday and gona pick it up later on today, I can't wait to play my Xbox 360 on it.

freakycody said:
Here are 2 pics of the 940bw next to my crt. The crt has an 18" screen (just measuring the viewable area). After measuring each, I ended up losing 1/2" in height and gained 1 3/4" in width by going to the 19"WS. I am not feeling it is small at all. Here are two pics, so you can be the judge (not the LCD is not at the same level as the CRT so take that into account). I do like the vibrant colors of the LCD, it looks great right of the box. I did not adjust any settings but turned down the brightness. Now to play some CS:S :D

Without flash

With flash

freakycody, where can I download the desktop wallpapers that you got on your monitors. They are so beautiful, please I really like them.

OMG, thanks for replying freakycody! I thought you would never reply LOL. I got this monitor now 940BW and loving it. The colors are kinda washed out and the screen is really bright, I had to tune down the brightness by a huge amount. Backlights are showing on the sides. The thing I was really impressed with is the fact that it somehow saves the settings I made for my Xbox 360. For my Xbox 360 I use 1280 by 720p which made the screen go off to the left side. I had to adjust the monitor. Surpprisingly when I turned off my Xbox 360 and then switched it back to my PC using the VGA switch, the settings for my PC on the monitor was the same as before. Changing the settings for my Xbox 360 did not change the settings for my PC!!! The position for my PC is H-postion 56 & V-position 47, and for my Xbox 360 is H-position 78 & V-position 25. This monitor saves both of these settings somehow and remembers them! So when i'm using my Xbox 360 and I change my screen position, the image position for my PC does not change.

freakcody, the quality of these widescreen wallpapers are amazing! I finally found some nice Vancouver widescreen wallpapers! Vancouver, that's where I am right now.

guardianFlash said:
OMG, thanks for replying freakycody! I thought you would never reply LOL. I got this monitor now 940BW and loving it. The colors are kinda washed out and the screen is really bright, I had to tune down the brightness by a huge amount. Backlights are showing on the sides. The thing I was really impressed with is the fact that it somehow saves the settings I made for my Xbox 360. For my Xbox 360 I use 1280 by 720p which made the screen go off to the left side. I had to adjust the monitor. Surpprisingly when I turned off my Xbox 360 and then switched it back to my PC using the VGA switch, the settings for my PC on the monitor was the same as before. Changing the settings for my Xbox 360 did not change the settings for my PC!!! The position for my PC is H-postion 56 & V-position 47, and for my Xbox 360 is H-position 78 & V-position 25. This monitor saves both of these settings somehow and remembers them! So when i'm using my Xbox 360 and I change my screen position, the image position for my PC does not change.

freakcody, the quality of these widescreen wallpapers are amazing! I finally found some nice Vancouver widescreen wallpapers! Vancouver, that's where I am right now.

That is odd about your colors being washed out. Mine look great they are nice and vibrant (I did turn down the brightness though). I do have slight backlight bleeding in the top left but it is not bad. I would adjust your colors, also try out the program samsung put on the cd, it is suppose to help with colors i think (i never used it though so maybe it will not help).

By the way, hows the xbox 360 look on the screen?? Could you post a pic or two? Thanks.

@ guardianflash
Maybe your colours are washed out because of your video card settings or its "performance/quality" (ie. u could be using a crap one..IDK!)

Ok, here are some screenshots I took.

CIMG0561.jpg
CIMG0558.jpg
CIMG0556.jpg
CIMG0555.jpg
CIMG0545.jpg
CIMG0543.jpg
CIMG0535.jpg
CIMG0531.jpg
CIMG0528.jpg
CIMG0518.jpg
CIMG0517.jpg
CIMG0510.jpg
CIMG0492.jpg
CIMG0487.jpg
CIMG0479.jpg

Running my Xbox 360 at 1280 by 720 which is suppose to be HD, I think. I had to adjust the screen cause the image goes off to the left side when I changed my 360's display to 1280 - 720p.

freakcody, what brightness and contrast are you using for your Samsung 940BW at custom?

Hey!

Currently got my 940BW! It rocks!!!
BUT!
I need help with some resolutions on my 7800gt..

im currently running 1152x864 right now @ 75Hertz.
But in my OSD Menu or whatever, i cannot change Sharpness as it says "Not available"

What should i do?

and what is everyone elses settings? thanks

shawnol said:
Hey!

Currently got my 940BW! It rocks!!!
BUT!
I need help with some resolutions on my 7800gt..

im currently running 1152x864 right now @ 75Hertz.
But in my OSD Menu or whatever, i cannot change Sharpness as it says "Not available"

What should i do?

and what is everyone elses settings? thanks

why not run at 1440x900 the native res, the picture would be noticable better. Plus your 7800gt should be able to easily handle that. Is it because you want to run it at 75hz?

yes and because i dont want it that big..

but still most of my OSD/Menu items are not available :| ??

not sure what to say, as you should be able to see all the osd options. I sure can. Maybe u have a deffective lcd. That is weird. Call up samsung and ask them what is up.

I did a google search, and some pros says adjusting the screen to display true black and true white is the right settings for brightness and contrast. The default brightness for the 940BW is 100, I had to tune it all the way down to 25.

freakycody said:
not sure what to say, as you should be able to see all the osd options. I sure can. Maybe u have a deffective lcd. That is weird. Call up samsung and ask them what is up.

I can see all the OSD Options, i just cant change any of them.

Got a Silver one downstairs, very nice screen really, plenty of control, but the swivel base isn't so good when you are pressing the OSD buttons as it tends to swivel the screen!

940bw_vs_N91W_closeup1.jpg

robbiekhan said:
Got a Silver one downstairs, very nice screen really, plenty of control, but the swivel base isn't so good when you are pressing the OSD buttons as it tends to swivel the screen!

940bw_vs_N91W_closeup1.jpg

The colour looks awesome. What settings is this? Custom, game, internet, movie ...

Wow, the silver one swivels, like left to right etc. That is cool, does it also have height adjustment. Cause the black one can only have the angle of the screen adjusted. I am thinking about picking up a new arm or something for it, due to this lack of movement. Your screen does look great.

freakycody said:
Wow, the silver one swivels, like left to right etc. That is cool, does it also have height adjustment. Cause the black one can only have the angle of the screen adjusted. I am thinking about picking up a new arm or something for it, due to this lack of movement. Your screen does look great.
Yup the silver one has all the adjustments available just like the Dell 2007WFP stand :)

not sure how that works, if only they would show a picture of a monitor with that thing. I don't know if it's worth it. If ya use 2 phone book it is the perfect height.

Its on sale this week at Best Buy for $209. Not sure if thats a good price but I dont care. I plan on owning this monitor by the end of the day!!!

I've been wanting one too but I'd like to upgrade my video card first so I have DVI connections. Congrats and post pix lol

Lazy_Moron said:
Its on sale this week at Best Buy for $209. Not sure if thats a good price but I dont care. I plan on owning this monitor by the end of the day!!!

You should be very happy with your purchase. I am amazed at how many times this has been on sale at best buy, I caught the first sale which was at 199.99 but even 209.99 without mail in rebate is still well below the sticker price.

Success just got the last one lol !!!

Im setting it up as we speak, we have some pics later even though my camera sucks there be some pics for you guys.

UPDATE:

OMG this monitor rocks so far. So this is what a resolution bigger than 1024x768 looks like. Time to try some gaming on it, and then some pics for you guys.

So from what I understand this monitor has true HDCP support right?

Oh yeah I noticed a fairly decent amount of FPS increase in my games. Like on my old monitor with a res of 1024x768, in HL2 I would run maxed but average like 50 or so. Now I average 75FPS or so. This is because my 7900GT was bottlenecked at that low of a resolution right?

holy shit i can't belive compusa had that lcd arm for 35 bucks i paid 74 at circuitcity !!!!!!!
fucke me the lcd arm is kick ass GET IT ! I got one for my lg and its the best thing you can buy for your monitor it has great heigh adjustment you can rotate 360 degrees pretty much pos whereever you want
but i must warn you you have to tweak it i mean tighten bolts and shit to
make sure you don't forget to tighten the inside bolt where the monitor mounts to it
before you install it or it will make the monitor drop when you rotate it

123Lanoix said:
holy shit i can't belive compusa had that lcd arm for 35 bucks i paid 74 at circuitcity !!!!!!!
fucke me the lcd arm is kick ass GET IT ! I got one for my lg and its the best thing you can buy for your monitor it has great heigh adjustment you can rotate 360 degrees pretty much pos whereever you want
but i must warn you you have to tweak it i mean tighten bolts and shit to
make sure you don't forget to tighten the inside bolt where the monitor mounts to it
before you install it or it will make the monitor drop when you rotate it

Are you sure this is the same. I tihnk the one with 2 elbows goes for around 74 bucks, this only has one elbow... but if it is the same, then dang that is a good deal.

The 940bw is really amazing, my dad has one and I've played games and watched movies on it. There is zero ghosting and so much better blacks than my 19" Acer 8ms LCD.

I am thinking about getting one, don't know if I can afford it.

Here are some pics. Please excuss the flash messing up some parts of the shots. My room is kinda on the dark side at all times and isnt enough for the camera to adjust to proper light settings. There are some shots without the flash so thats why some of them seem dark. But anywho GREAT MONITOR!!!!

monitor2.jpg

monitor1.jpg

monitor4.jpg

monitor3.jpg

Looks nice Lazy Moron. Perfect for the dorm (as it looks by your pics), too bad I got mine after I moved off-campus :D

Glad you like the monitor, it kicks ass. I have watched movies, played games, and it does it all flawlessly.

I think it is one of the better values in the widescreen market. What do you think about the size? I personally like it and it does not seem small to me (I came from a 4:3 19" CRT), but there are a lot of people out there bashing the 19" widescreen based on its size.

freakycody said:
Looks nice Lazy Moron. Perfect for the dorm (as it looks by your pics), too bad I got mine after I moved off-campus :D

Glad you like the monitor, it kicks ass. I have watched movies, played games, and it does it all flawlessly.

I think it is one of the better values in the widescreen market. What do you think about the size? I personally like it and it does not seem small to me (I came from a 4:3 19" CRT), but there are a lot of people out there bashing the 19" widescreen based on its size.

LOL thats my room and will be in the dorm on Tuesday. The size is perfect IMO. Its not to high, which I was afraid of as I have a big lamp attached the desk at the dorm and it would of bumped into it if it was like 1 inch higher.

Im running Purevideo on my Nvidia card for movies and DAMN they look outstanding.

Gaming is a big plus on here. Oblivion made my mouth dropped, I would of tested Far Cry to but im not going thru that trouble of installing it. HL2 looks amazing, plus I can max that out so its all full glory. Once I get my X1900XT im sure my games will even look better, such as Oblivion and such.

Best purchase I made on my computer IMO.

Devnull said:
You have excellent taste in tv shows, lazy.

Thank you, got it the Season One set for my birthday. Its only the greatest show on television IMO except it might be tied with 24.

Hey guys, anyone have a problem where upon reboots, the resolution settings wont stay? they keep defaulting to 1024x768 then to make matters worse, the default monitor setting of 1440x900 is not even an option anymore. I had to make a custome setting in my nvidia control panel for it. here is the twist. I use a switch box to share the monitor on 2 pcs, could this be the cause? both seem to lose the settings on reboot but only 1 had the problem above

I just got this display today at BB.
I paid $209, but I had a $100 gift card from a credit card offer to burn, so it only cost me $104 :)

I am going from a 21" CRT to this.

Over all I am pretty impressed. clarity is great.

CRT nazis tend to say that LCDs have so many faults, but for clarity and geometry this monitor is the balls.

As for size, 19" is a tad small, but I don't mind, hell for $100 bucks Ican deal.

One problem is that using digital connection makes the screen go all wonky. Ihad it set up ok at 1440x900 16 bit color and 75mhz but then I launched GW and bam everything went screwy. Had to switch to VGA. Anybody have any advice?

Still VGA mode is still great. No problem.

I might want to get a monitor arm to bring it off the desk and a little closer to my face.

Love it.

Oh, BTW Best buy had this on sale for $209, but they were out of stock yesterday, I checked back this morning and they had tons, but they didn't putthem over near the other monitors.

Hell yea!!!!! Came from a 15 inch Dell to this badboy, got it at BB for $227 OTD. Fry's had it there for only 249.99 but i was going use my $30 dollar gift certif. i had, but went to BB once i saw it online for $209. Once i got her home i tested for dead pixel's and black lighting issues, good news is that are no dead pixel's and only slight back lighting issues only up top but not enough to bother me. Loaded up CS:S and UT 2k4 at native resolution of 1440x900 and was just totally blown away. FPS of 60 and above on all my games, higher details i can now see fully. Will never go back to CRT and non-widescreen. Samsung just got a new loyal fan, i'm as happy as a lil boy on christmas. BTW im hooked up though DVI. Also what can i do now since this monitor has HDCP connections? My buddy from work told me i could get a newer HD cable box and use the dvi out to hookup to my monitor to get HD to my monitor, is this true? Any folks here with more knowledge about this to explain to me fully?

:D

Back