Samsung SyncMaster 225BW 22"

Shaman said:
Only Denmark and Sweden list the monitor as being a PVA panel with 0.27 pixel pitch 1000:1 contrast, 178º/178º and 8ms.

So either Samsung has a new 22" PVA panel out or the danish and swedish webmasters made the specs page after a night of heavy drinking.

I'm guessing the latter.

Well, gives me another reason to return the monitor if I'm not happy with it. False advertising, you know :)

Bump for anyone who was brave enough to get this monitor. ;)

I've been reading around some forums and seems the backlight bleeding is very common, but it's not as bad as it looks in pics. Still haven't seen any report that indicates if this is a true 8-bit panel or not.

Well on just about anything I dont notice the blacklight bleed till last night when I was playing FEAR. Pretty much throughout that game it was pretty noticable at the top. The bottom pretty much fades in. Playing anything that is not in the dark I think it would be ok.

Other than that I am happy with it. I can't say I am that picky though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The bleed is almost a deal breaker for me though. I am going to use it some more and see if I can get used to it. I dont think I mind that much bleed but its just in a place that my eyes seem to want to look at.

The viewsonic 20incher had the bleed at the corners. It was annoying as well but at least it was easier to ignore.

More people must have gave gotten a 225BW by now, post your impressions here. :)

bbz_Ghost said:
Circuit City has these on sale this week for $399, just relaying the information.

I was so ready to jump on this deal when I saw it in the Sunday paper I just got a few minutes ago, then I read that it's just 1680x1050 and stopped cold. For a 22" LCD, I'd expect 1920x1200 at the bare minimum, but I guess this isn't the one I want. :(

Must be a local thing, it is not on their website. They have a 10% off coupon, which makes this pretty attractive price in comparison to the 2007FPW

Coupon: http://www.techbargains.com/cjump.cfm?afsrc=1&id=171

Just happened to have stumbled onto this thread. I just picked up this monitor this weekend. CompUSA has a 10% off sale on all it's monitors this week so I grabbed this one for $359.95.

Sure enough, the top/bottom bleed problem is there, but it's not as bad as I thought (I read the first review on it). Just takes some getting used to and it's only noticable if you're staring at a pitch black background. Other than that, I don't really have any negative comments about this LCD. Being used to a 21" CRT for gaming, I was expecting the worst based on my previous experiences with LCDs, but the in-game image quality was excellent, as are my movies. No ghosting as far as I can tell.

I also looked at the Viewsonic 19" VX922 and it's 2ms response time, but didn't notice a difference between it and the 5ms response time of the 225bw. I figure it was worth it to spend just a little extra and go with the widescreen.

At $360, it's still way cheaper than what I paid for my 21" Dell P1130 four years ago.

I just bought the 225bw from compusa. ATTN: YOU MUST ORDER ONLINE to receive the discount!! you can still pick up in store, but must be ordered online.

i went there thinking the discount would be in store, but when i got there they told me it was online only. i asked to use a computer for 5 minutes to order it, and they didnt like that idea. whatever, i went home, orderd, and went back to pick it up. how stupid. best part was they dont charge the card online, they do that in store, so what the hell is the point?!

anyway, the backlight problem is a PROBLEM. this is boarderline unacceptable. i thought the viewing angles would be a nuisance, but those are hardly a concern at all. the only time i notice the viewing angle distortion is on all white background, and even then its not a big deal.

the bleeding white light is a problem though. you dont see it until those scary dark parts of a movie, then its horrid. it looks like youre looking into a frosty window. i guess its not that bad, but what a bum deal for an otherwise KICK ASS monitor. i agree with everyone else, if there was no backlight bleeding, this would be the best monitor to hit the selves in its pricerange in years. the picture quality is amazing, the speed is almost identical to my crt.

im going to call samsung tomarrow and see if they will exchange. has anyone called them about this yet? i dont want to return to the store because im sure the rest they have are from the same batch. i dont think i want to live with the light bleeding, i watch too much tv and movies. i dont know though, its just sad. even if the bleeding wasnt as bad, ive seen others where it just gets lighter around the corners. but this monitor almost has white bars across the top and bottom that glows into the screen even further. adjusting the brightness or contrast does not help. what a shame, hopefully samsung will give me a replacement, if not ill make sure they know i will buy viewsonic from now on.

This monitor's made it to my list of LCDs to upgrde to from my 17" CRT... What's the prospect of them fixing the backlight bleed issue?

ill find out today what samsung has to say to me about it. i can tell you this though, if there was no backlight bleeding, or even less then there is, it would be a near-perfect monitor. the veiw-angles would be the only other catch, but its only a concern if you plan on using it as a family-room tv. and for me, its too small to be that.

I am going to take a guess that it is not going to be fixed because from their perspective it is not an issue. It is being called an issue by a handful of people on the forums, nothing more.

I expect their response will be "it is a budget display, their QC approved it and it is going to stay as it is because it is a budget display". I also expect they will say "if you don't want any back light bleeding look at their performance displays (which we know cost quite a bit more).

We get what we pay for.

I think since the market seems to be really liking these new 22 inch widescreens at these great prices, we will see the backlight characteristic improve as competition amongst the manufactures push them to improve wherever they can.

Be aware that on one of the other threads on this monitor someone said they returned theirs for the Viewsonic and the Viewsonic was worse.

So for now, it is a budget display, so accept it ... or don't accept it and pay more $ ... or give it some time for the next generation of 22 inchers.

hmm, i would have to disagree. i know its a budget display, but i still spent $400 on it, and it was not told to me that there was backlight-bleeding thats worse then any other lcd ive ever seen. i mean if it was only half as bad as it is i wouldnt even worry about it, but its plain obvious and annoying when i watch tv at night. during the daytime though, it really is almost non-apparent. i guess thats the reason i couldnt notice it in the store.

im going to tell samsung that its just not right. its too much, and hopefully they will issue and rma. however, youre probably right, they will just tell me that all of them are like that...

edit- i do want to add a positive about the screen. when running it in lower-resolutions it absolutely SHINES. even in my 4:3 games that the screen stretches out the image i can hardly tell its out of native res. this screen does a fantastic job of re-scaling, and its not an issue at all to run it lower then the native spec.

success!!! guys- call samsung, they have EXCELLENT support! all i told the guy was that the white light on the top and bottom is worse then ive seen on any other lcd, and he immediately gave me two options. one was to return it to compusa, the other was return it to samsung themselves.

i chose the latter, saying that i want the newest model possible, and he told me 'yes, you will get the latest version, brand new'. also, if you give them a credit card number as a hold, they will immediately ship out the monitor before you send your defective one back!!! he told me not to send back the bad one until i verify the new one works good! the only catch was if i didnt return the bad monitor they would charge me $1000. jokes on them though, i barely have $400 left on that card! :D

anyway, i really hope this new monitor doesnt have the bleed. we shall see, i wasnt able to get him to admit it was a problem, but he didnt argue my complaint one bit, it was an immediate "we will replace it".

i made sure i told him how happy i was with the phone call. i said i was very dissapointed with the monitor, but the support had won me over. i did not once have to mention 'veiwsonic', which was my backup plan. GO SAMSUNG!!

This monitor is awesome, I picked mine up for £340 Including VAT and delivery and I can tell you that this is NOT a "budget" range monitor, it might not be the best monitor ever but it's certainly ahead of it's respective range (22") in fact for the UK this is the most expensive 22" that I could remember seeing.

It's the only 22" I know of that runs true 8Bit colour (16.7 Million colours) and also comes with HDCP support.

It's a brilliant pannel for a lot of things, widescreen and large 22" makes it brilliant for movies/tv epsiodes, and the fast response makes it also ideal for widescreen gaming with no ghosting what so ever.

The only one downside for this monitor is that almost all models suffer from some degree of backlight bleed along the top and bottom of the monitor, PERSONALLY I do not notice this unless I am in an unlit room with a pitch black screen, I don't notice it at ALL if the room is lit whether its displaying black or colour. The only time I've found it noticeable is during load screens between source games.

The colour reproduction is great, and the blacks are also quite nice, it's listed as a 700:1 contrast ratio and despite there being better TN panels out there and on the way the display contrast is excelent, the white box of the HardOCP window against the black outside gives a brilliant white with a nice pitch black directly adjacent.

If you're particuarly sensitive to backlight bleed then the benefits of the monitor won't out weigh that problem, I'll be perfectly honest I do not notice the bleed one bit so for me this is most definately an awesome pannel because they have every single other feature pinned down for a incredibly reasonabe price.

Want an extra 1 or 2 inches with 8bit colour? You'll be paying from 2x - 3x more money for that, a price I simply cannot justify on my wages.

Oh and if you've not used widescreen for gaming before, this will be a great experience, with a nice sized panel like this along with widescreen you feel that much more imersed in your games due to your peripheral vision being that little bit more filled, it gives you a much mroe natural response to enemies aproaching from the sides in FPS games. I've had this monitor a few days and playing HL2 Episode 1 again was a really great experience, I know I'll never go back to 4:3 gaming again.

are you sure its an 8bit panel? word on the street is that its a true 6bit, with 8bit dithering.

The manual lists 8bit with 16.7 Million colours.

The only other way to achieve that, that I'm aware of is to run 6bit with 3bit dithering for a total width of 9bits

I've sent a message to Samsung and not heard back from them yet, I'd like to find out for sure but either way the colour is really good on the panel, I've run a display test to check out the gradiant and it seems perfectly smooth to me...

see i agree, even if it isnt an 8bit panel it sure looks like one. in fact, im having a very hard time figuring why TN panels are so hated. side-by-side with the 215tw this monitor does better then a good job, its hardly any different looking at all.

IF the replacement panel im getting back is light-bleed free, i will be ecstatic. ive been playing tomb raider legends and the image is so sweet. also, the height adjustment on this screen works too well, and it does pivot, i dont know why some say it doesnt.

krupted said:
see i agree, even if it isnt an 8bit panel it sure looks like one. in fact, im having a very hard time figuring why TN panels are so hated. side-by-side with the 215tw this monitor does better then a good job, its hardly any different looking at all.

IF the replacement panel im getting back is light-bleed free, i will be ecstatic. ive been playing tomb raider legends and the image is so sweet. also, the height adjustment on this screen works too well, and it does pivot, i dont know why some say it doesnt.

After removing the pin the height adjustment works great and the pivot allows the screen to rotate to any angle, thats another thing I love about this panel, it looks great with such a small bezel and is generally a minimalistic design with small flat buttons and a small LED, the silver against black looks really nice and goes well with my black Saitek Eclipse keyboard with silver keys.

so you got the silver bezel huh? one thing i noticed from the tech support, the guy needed to know the serial number, and when i told him he confirmed "thats the black version then, right?" i was wondering if this problem was only with the black ones. maybe your bleeding isnt as bad as mine.

and yeah, the physical design of the monitor is just as beautiful as the screen image itself. again, i would be hands down in love with this thing if it were not for the light bleeding.

"take the pin out and the height works well" :D that made me laugh, i did the same thing at first, i couldnt understand why it was so difficult to get it to raise up. :D

Frosteh said:
The manual lists 8bit with 16.7 Million colours.

The only other way to achieve that, that I'm aware of is to run 6bit with 3bit dithering for a total width of 9bits

I've sent a message to Samsung and not heard back from them yet, I'd like to find out for sure but either way the colour is really good on the panel, I've run a display test to check out the gradiant and it seems perfectly smooth to me...
Any word on the bit status?

all i read is that there are no 8 bit TN panels, yet there was one site that noted the samsung 22" TN as the only one that actually is 8bit. so who knows.

ive been running milkdrop since last night and its crazy good looking. there are no gradiations in the color, and it looks heaps better then my crt did.

I am using the DVI connection

Why is it that when in Windows (2D) my colour transition is perfect. But when in 3D (games) I get banding? I have noticed it in the sky in UT2K4 and last night when playing BF2 I noticed it in some of the corona/lighting effect areas.

Thanks

not sure. my install of battlefield 2 isnt working right now and i dont have ut2k4, otherwise i would try to emulate your problem. i have an opteron 165, 7800gt, and 2gb ram. you have new newest vid drivers right? just checkin. so far i havent noticed any problems with color...

krupted said:
not sure. my install of battlefield 2 isnt working right now and i dont have ut2k4, otherwise i would try to emulate your problem. i have an opteron 165, 7800gt, and 2gb ram. you have new newest vid drivers right? just checkin. so far i havent noticed any problems with color...

yes i have latest vid drivers and proper display drivers installed for the new Samy.

i have done a Google and see lots of people commenting on banding in games with different LCD's. Some say firmware updates or later revisions of theirs fixed it. Others say that is just the way most LCD's are. Some say the analog connection gets rid of it. Since I thought DVI was the better way as you are staying pure digitial, when why would it be better with analog?

Don't understand why the connection type would make a difference.

Those are just two games I can recall seeing it in. I am sure many others will do it. Kind of have to look for it as it isn't obvious or consistent. Games look SWEET. Just happened to notice the banding the odd time when playing.

GilmourD said:
Any word on the bit status?

Unfortunately no, I might phone the tech support from work tomorrow but I fear i will get a generic answer taken from the monitors manual or listed specs, I think to get to the bottom of this we're going to have to find out the panel thats being used and chase that down.

I don't know where to start with that one, I don't even know who makes the panels it could be samsung themselfs for all I know :/

However one thing seems to be true, the colour replication is better than 6bit/2bit so whatever they're doing it's working, the quality is great.

Frosteh said:
Unfortunately no, I might phone the tech support from work tomorrow but I fear i will get a generic answer taken from the monitors manual or listed specs, I think to get to the bottom of this we're going to have to find out the panel thats being used and chase that down.

I don't know where to start with that one, I don't even know who makes the panels it could be samsung themselfs for all I know :/

However one thing seems to be true, the colour replication is better than 6bit/2bit so whatever they're doing it's working, the quality is great.
Samsung manufactures all their own panels and sell their panels to other companies, like Hyundai. :)

the 225bw's use a proprietary samsung only panel, from what i read. i did find it strange that viewsonics comparison model has very similar bleed problems, but from everywhere i read, the samsungs 22" model is a samsung only panel made by samsung themselves.

dont be afraid to call samsung tech support, when i did around 10 in the morning they answered on the third ring after the automated menus. it took maybe 2 minutes to actually get to a person, i was very impressed. very polite too, it was a big impression on me.

Funnily enough I've just got the response back, and just as I suspected it was a breif conformation of 8bit but no actual specifics which is irritating because I asked specifically how 8 bit was achieved, if it was actually true 8bit or 6bit with some form of dithering.

Dear XXX XXX
Thank you for contacting Samsung.

This model does have a 8 bit color. (16.7 m)

It might just be true 8bit, I'm not going to rule that out just because all other TN panels are 6bit with dithering.

I've been using a program called "MonitorTest.exe" which can display all sorts of ranges of colours and patterns to the screen, the gradient is quite smooth but suffers from vertical lines where colour shifts slightly, I was wonder if this was a problem with dithering or not but took a screenshot of the display and zoomed in paint and the spacing was larger for the lines so I'm assuming it's not.

Can anyone point me to a small exe that can display a perfectly smooth gradient to test?

*edit*

GOD DAMN IT, I just tried all 4 major colour channels gradient, RGB and B/W and the red one shows up 1 pixel which is black, it can display all the other colours fine.

Is this a stuck pixel? Its not dead as it can display all the other colours ok.

sounds like a partially stuck/broken pixel. youre lucky if it just sticks on black, those you will never notice. even still, ive had ones that were red all the time and its not noticeable anyway. a couple stuck pixels are nothing compared to the backlight bleeding that effects 10% of the screen.

Ah a friend said its a stuck sub-pixel, obviously the red sub pixel is dead so any colour it displays will be lacking its red component, only really noticeable when displaying pure red in which case the pixel is black

I wouldn't say the bleed covers 10% of the monitor, mine really isnt that bad, nor is it that strong.

could you post when your monitor was manufactured? mine was made in tianjin, china in july. it tells you right on the back of the monitor. i wonder if yours is a later date, because mine seems to have pretty bad bleeding.

i will also know more about the dates when i get my replacement screen. samsung is sending me the new one before i have to ship this one back, so i can even compare them side by side.

i got 2 of these yesterday, from newegg, black bezel. used a dell 21" trintron for about 5 years. they look spectacular. i hadnt seen real black or saturated green in years. some slight backlight bleed at the top, only when screen is all black, or almost all black. i was going to buy the acer, but now i am glad i did not.

if you go into the nvidia control panel and bump up the digital vibrance just a touch, it will make the colors just burst off the screen. also, in the same window, the gamma setting can also really help things out.

i absolutely love the digital vibrance setting of nvidia cards. i even used it on my crt just to get that extra kick from the color. i tend to like my color a little over saturated, i play a lot of games. games on this screen are AMAZING

Frosteh said:
Ah a friend said its a stuck sub-pixel, obviously the red sub pixel is dead so any colour it displays will be lacking its red component, only really noticeable when displaying pure red in which case the pixel is black
I had a stuck red pixel on my monitor, but I got a tip from the guy in the store to rub it carefully. I did and it vanished :)

Perhaps that'll work on your too? Just remember to be careful :)

Look, i'm alread in love with my new monitor, I don't need any encouragement to rub it thank you ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the tip I will try this, i've played a load of games while specifically keeping an eye out for any color distortions and I can't see any so it's no reason to return the monitor IMO, plus I dont think warantee covers dead sub pixels.

I only noticed it when I was using an app to display all the primary colours full screen

Frosteh said:
Look, i'm alread in love with my new monitor, I don't need any encouragement to rub it thank you ;)
Haha that's not really what I meant :D
But yeah, I love it too :)

I probably wouldn't have noticed mine if it weren't for the same kind of app you used...

hey guys -

I'm considering picking up a 225BW pretty soon. However I tend to be quite picky with little annoyances - such as the backlight bleed that's common on these monitors. Is it confirmed that there's just "batches" of these monitors with the backlight issue? I'm assuming that they all have this problem, but that's why I'm asking here. In other words, does anyone have a 225BW and not experience the issue?

Thanks

i can let you know as soon as i get my replacement from samsung. still havent heard anything though, but they said up to two weeks. surely though, the backlight bleed is too much if your at all sensitive to it. as for me, ive gotten used to it, but it still ticks me off when i have dark scenes.

Back