Samsung XL2370

how good is this led panel compared to an e-ips panel like the 2209wa?

in terms of color reproduction, not good. this is an LCD that uses a TN panel with LED backlighting

This is a TN panel still, just lit differently. Not sure if you were confused or weren't being specific, but yeah it's not a new type of actual panel, it just doesn't use backlighting.

IPS has several advantages over TN, and some disadvantages, it's a pretty big subject and you can google it or search on here and decide for yourself.

What does LED lighting bring to the table? Better contrast, less power useage, less heat generation, smaller size, (probably) longevity, etc...

Short answer: This will probably still be worse than an IPS panel at, well, everything an IPS panel is good at doing.

edit: beaten ^

Expect this monitor coming soon. It's listed in the BBY stock system as cheaper than we thought

I just heard from a very reliable source that the XL2370 has a release date of September 20/21 in USA retail stores. It will cost approximately $300.

Any updates to the above? The CNET review indicated that Oct. 12 was the release date.

Any updates to the above? The CNET review indicated that Oct. 12 was the release date.

All of that info came from a BBY employee. They can use their computers to look up products which are in stock/out of stock, how much they cost, how many are available, etc. They said that in the stock system, the XL2370 was listed as having a street price of $299 and that it would be In-Stock on 9/20/2009 and it would be phased out on 9/25/2012 or something like that.

Cnet might have more reliable info though if they heard it straight from Samsung. Also, if that's true, then that's really gay of Samsung. It's been waaay too long. Pushing it back that far is just retarded.

Usually IPS panels have a problem with slow response rates, making gaming laggy, but the image quality is better. S-ips's are supposed to get past this problem, but they're very pricey. I haven't been able to find much on e-ips's though. Anybody know how they compare to other ips's or TN's?

from what I was told from a reliable source (basically infallible because the information they get comes straight from BBY's stock system), it was supposed to be "AVAILABLE" (the term used by the stock system) on 9/20 or 9/21.

According to CNET, however, it's supposed to come out Oct. 13 or something (absurd). Some other websites are saying sometime in November (even more absurd).

maybe I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and look for it. I know sometimes they have things in store before they show up on their website.

so the XL2370 is still listed as having an In-Stock date of 9/20/2009 in the Best Buy stock system, yet no locations are listed as carrying them yet.

Will LED monitors still constitute that lame California Waste Fee? I would think not, due to the fact they no longer contain mercury or use fluorescent lamps...
Also LED screen quality is much nicer. I had a Lenovo S10 IdeaPad netbook with a LED backlight screen, and even though thats a small crappy LCD, the colors are
indeed more vibrant and the lighting is clearer. They also last a lot longer than fluorescent lamps and are so bright they hurt your eyes.

Thanks for your input. I saw the LG at Fry's. It's more average than attractive.

Last edited:
You guys seem to bitch about TN panels alot. I just want to say although PVA and IPS panels are excellent, they aren't ready for gaming yet (and if they are, it's a large chunk of cash). People use TN's for their fast response time. Everyone has a different use for a LCD, if you Photoshop or multimedia design, then use the PVA/IPS. But don't go assuming TN's are useless. Maybe in a few years when PVA/IPS become mainstream and we have 5ms response time or 120Hz on these units, then you guys will be saying "It's still just a PVA (or IPS)."

TN has its place and I wouldn't dis this panel because of that, but the new eips models are certainly on par for gaming (eg Dell 2209WA) in terms of response and input lag, with all the other benefits that IPS has to offer. I agree on PVA, and I have never had a good gaming response experience with them, although they do have great PQ. That said since this is Samsung, I really doubt we'll see an eips(LG) LED model from them.

I would pay a good amount of cash for a 24" monitor that has e-IPS panel, LED backlighting, and 120 Hz. I bet a lot of CRT die hards might switch to that too. I wish someone would make one soon.

Yep. With local dimming on the LED backlighting (which I can't imagine is cheap or maybe even feasible on small monitors 24" and under). Unfortunately by the time mfgs figure that one out we'll be within shooting distance of OLED monitors.

You guys seem to bitch about TN panels alot. I just want to say although PVA and IPS panels are excellent, they aren't ready for gaming yet (and if they are, it's a large chunk of cash). People use TN's for their fast response time. Everyone has a different use for a LCD, if you Photoshop or multimedia design, then use the PVA/IPS. But don't go assuming TN's are useless. Maybe in a few years when PVA/IPS become mainstream and we have 5ms response time or 120Hz on these units, then you guys will be saying "It's still just a PVA (or IPS)."

The problem with this is I think half of the users bitching about them claim they want the best of the best in a computer monitor and you everyone else saying "well if you want the best of the best TN panels are shit so get IPS haha". Then they get on a bandwagon that is "TN panels are shit".

As it stands half of the people saying TN panels are shit probably have no line of work that deals with computer graphics, photoshopping etc. and could not tell you the difference of all 3 panels were lined up next to each other.

anyone who hasn't realized that this TN panel will never satisfy their videophile needs should probably stay away from this thread

Wouldnt you mean 'HAS realized that this panel will....' as in, if you knew, you should stay away from this thread and the TN panels.

The major reason I would consider buying this even though its a TN is its response time/input lag advantage for gaming of course. At that, if that is what matters, then I would be looking at an Asus, BenQ, or other TN that has a 0 input lag. From what I have seen so far, the P series (that the XL is based on) has good response times, about the same as a 245BW... but not great.

If anything, now that the XL series has to turn on and off (or adjust) the LED's along with the LCD's, and there are extra calculations involved there as well, I would guess that the input lag of the XL series will be more than the P series that its based on.

Last edited:
I would pay a good amount of cash for a 24" monitor that has e-IPS panel, LED backlighting, and 120 Hz. I bet a lot of CRT die hards might switch to that too. I wish someone would make one soon.

Add a 0ms input lag or you can pry that CRT from my cold fragged hands. Otherwise, no dice. And no, 120Hz doesnt mean the input lag will be 0.

Wouldnt you mean 'HAS realized that this panel will....' as in, if you knew, you should stay away from this thread and the TN panels.

The major reason I would consider buying this even though its a TN is its response time/input lag advantage for gaming of course. At that, if that is what matters, then I would be looking at an Asus, BenQ, or other TN that has a 0 input lag. From what I have seen so far, the P series (that the XL is based on) has good response times, about the same as a 245BW... but not great.

If anything, now that the XL series has to turn on and off (or adjust) the LED's along with the LCD's, and there are extra calculations involved there as well, I would guess that the input lag of the XL series will be more than the P series that its based on.

No, I mean HASN'T. Everyone who HAS realized that this monitor will never satisfy their videophile needs is already staying away from this thread. Everyone who HASN'T realized this keeps coming back, posting redundantly about how it's not an IPS/PVA panel, it doesn't have adjustable features or VESA mount support, etc etc.

Also, I'm not sure why the XL series is going to be turning it's backlights on/off while it's being used since it's edge-lit. Essentially, it would have the same amount of input lag as a similar model that uses edge-lit CCFLs (e.g. P2370). This doesn't use local dimming backlights.

Count me in as a person who had a hard time trying out and ultimately rejecting every TN I've tried, but I keep trying. I'm curious to see how the monitor looks, but I'm skeptical that it looks far superior to CCFL lights since its just edge-lit. If its just a matter of edge lighting, I don't see where there is much PQ-wise to gain. If anything, I'm skeptical it could be worse since at least CCFL lights have had many generations to "get it right". I think Samsung's big angle will be slim factor and power consumption. But it will be interesting.

Its unfortunate so many threads dedicated to specific monitors degenerate to either (a) 1080 vs 1200 or (b) TN vs IPS/PVA vs CRT debates.

In the BBY stock system, the XL2370 is listed as $299. Also, CNET says that the street price for it will also be $299.

Much better deal than the LG in my opinion, especially when you consider how ugly the LG looks

yeah it'll probably go for sale for less than that to quite often. Wonder when they will have it in. I was going to buy a new screen by the end of the week. My only concern is what someone above was saying about the LED panel creating more input lag than the standard P2370.

yeah it'll probably go for sale for less than that to quite often. Wonder when they will have it in. I was going to buy a new screen by the end of the week. My only concern is what someone above was saying about the LED panel creating more input lag than the standard P2370.

Yeah, but I think they were referring to local-dimming LED technology. It wouldn't make sense for edge-lit LED monitors to have input solely because they use LED backlights. Any "dimming" that is done is already present in LCD panels with CCFL backlights. This dimming occurs with the notorious "dynamic contrast ratio." Virtually every TN panel that has been released in the past 4 or 5 years uses this feature. This does not cause them to have input lag.

Back