Showdown: BenQ FP241WZ vs. Dell 2407-A04

Hmmm...I'm glad I stumbled on this review. Great job overall.

Need recommendation plz: If all I am going to be using my monitor for is PC use (gaming, web, and everyday computer usage) would the Dell 2407 be good for me. The 2407 is on sale right now for $629 and I have a stackable 15% off coupon that brings my total down to $566 delivered w/ tax.

Should I go Dell due to that price of $566? This will be my first LCD monitor, as I am currently running a NEC FE2111B.

Thanks.

I just ordered one about 5 minutes ago. From what I've read, that's a great price especially when you consider the substantial difference in price between your Dell and whatever price you could get on the BenQ.

Hmmm...I'm glad I stumbled on this review. Great job overall.

Need recommendation plz: If all I am going to be using my monitor for is PC use (gaming, web, and everyday computer usage) would the Dell 2407 be good for me. The 2407 is on sale right now for $629 and I have a stackable 15% off coupon that brings my total down to $566 delivered w/ tax.

Should I go Dell due to that price of $566? This will be my first LCD monitor, as I am currently running a NEC FE2111B.

Thanks.

Where did you get the 15% coupon? That is quite a deal...

I just ordered one about 5 minutes ago. From what I've read, that's a great price especially when you consider the substantial difference in price between your Dell and whatever price you could get on the BenQ.

No kidding. Based on what I've read on the forums I think I'd go for the BenQ, but $566 is an awesome price for a 24" display IMO and at that price it would be very hard to go wrong with the Dell.

The LG looks interesting too, and it supposedly has the least input lag of all 3, but I think I'd want to wait for it to be out a little while longer before I'd feel comfortable picking one up.

Jim, thanks for your hard work on that comparison/roundup, although personally I think it's just a way for you to talk the wife into letting you play with all these new 24" beasts (not that there's anything wrong with that! :p ) It would be awesome if she'd let you pick up the Samsung, Gateway, and HP 24 inchers for a more *ahem* "thorough comparison." :D

Seriously though, if someone would do a similar roundup with the 30" S-IPS panels from Dell/BenQ/HP/etc. that would be awesome. I realize more people are probably in the market for a 24" but that's just it...very few people will purchase more than 1 or 2 of the 30" displays to do an objective comparison, and that kind of stinks.

Jim's showdown will certainly help some people, but it was slightly too late in the game to help this guy. Every single one of the 24" displays seemed to have some kind of issue, even though firmware updates are slowly resolving them. And the 2407-HC is supposedly due soon, and I knew that even with the BenQ I'd feel some buyer's remorse knowing that there was a 24 incher out there that would do a 92% color gamut.

So I got tired of debating between them all, said "screw it" and ordered the Westy 37". I hope it'll suffice. :)

Very true, the price difference makes it sweeter... :)

Where did you get the 15% coupon? That is quite a deal...

I got it mailed to me via my Dell Preferred Account, expires midnight tonight 03-15-07!

Oh yeah if you purchase through fatwallet.com you'll save an additional 3%.

I got it mailed to me via my Dell Preferred Account, expires midnight tonight 03-15-07!

Oh yeah if you purchase through fatwallet.com you'll save an additional 3%.

methinks the 15% off coupon in question is for the 3007 and other E&A, but not the 2407WFP. I Received the same coupon (IIRC it was in a promo upgrade to Vista) and immediately tried it on a 2407. It didn't work and it certainly didn't stack.

I'll bring them all home tonight and set up some side by side by side pics so you can see how aesthetically pleasing they are or aren't. I'll let you know when I have them on the site. Later!

I just uploaded some new pics to the review that show all three monitors beside each other. They are full resolution images so they are all about 3 meg each. Scroll to the bottom of the showdown to find them. Oh, and click on the ones you are only really interested in. I don't want my ISP to get too ticked off at me and cut the site off. Thanks!

methinks the 15% off coupon in question is for the 3007 and other E&A, but not the 2407WFP. I Received the same coupon (IIRC it was in a promo upgrade to Vista) and immediately tried it on a 2407. It didn't work and it certainly didn't stack.
I have a 10 and 15% off coupon for the 2407. :) Too bad I bought one already last Sunday. The coupons are valid through May so when the 2407-HC comes out I miight use the coupons for that one.

I just uploaded some new pics to the review that show all three monitors beside each other. They are full resolution images so they are all about 3 meg each. Scroll to the bottom of the showdown to find them. Oh, and click on the ones you are only really interested in. I don't want my ISP to get too ticked off at me and cut the site off. Thanks!

So you are thinking of sending the Dell back?

I have a 10 and 15% off coupon for the 2407. :) Too bad I bought one already last Sunday. The coupons are valid through May so when the 2407-HC comes out I miight use the coupons for that one.

Where did you get them from? I received no 10-15% off coupons for the 2407 since Sunday.

So you are thinking of sending the Dell back?

Yeah, I think so. If I had just originally gotten it, instead of the BenQ at the same time, I would have kept it. However, I like the BenQ a little more, and for me, the LG was cheaper to keep for work. It does look like there is an awesome deal going on the Dell if you have an extra coupon. Too late for me on that one... *grin*

Yeah, I think so. If I had just originally gotten it, instead of the BenQ at the same time, I would have kept it. However, I like the BenQ a little more, and for me, the LG was cheaper to keep for work. It does look like there is an awesome deal going on the Dell if you have an extra coupon. Too late for me on that one... *grin*

Yeah, I might pick it up as a spare if the price drops a bit further (I remember when 19 inch 4:3 LCDs were 800 bucks), or I might just grab a 30 incher in a year or two (3008/3009) anyone?

I'll bring them all home tonight and set up some side by side by side pics so you can see how aesthetically pleasing they are or aren't. I'll let you know when I have them on the site. Later!

Thank you very much Jim,yeah that would be great !! The Dell and the Benq is mostly what I am interested in seeing.You should be doing this professionally,you are doing a wonderful job. :)

Jim !!!!!!!!!!

OMG :eek: :D

I just refreshed the page and looked at all the new pics,that is exactly what I wanted done !!! I am going to now donate a buck or two to the cause,as that was just simply incredible.....

Top notch work.BeHardware and TFT Central be damned !!! Jim is in the house! :p

Nice, too bad you didn't have the coupons prior to Sunday. A extra stackable 10-15% off from the sale price would be a killer deal (3007 too).
I was considering the 27" and 30" as well but I think that would have been over kill. I plan on buying a Tivo series 3 in the next few weeks so the money saved getting the 24" will go towards that. I'll hold on to the Dell coupons and see what the reviews look like for the 24-HC when it comes out in April.

I just ordered a Dell 2407 $566 plus tax = $605. I'm anxious to get it, upgrading from a Dell 1907FP. Thanks to all those who contribute to the forum, giving user reviews, positives and negatives.

D

Damn it! I'm now more confused than ever... I can get a pretty good deal on the 24" Dell (~$550 including tax), but after reading Jim's "mega review", I'm not so sure I about it. The other option I have is the new BenQ -VW, but that's $225 more.

... I need help... really :D.

Damn it! I'm now more confused than ever... I can get a pretty good deal on the 24" Dell (~$550 including tax), but after reading Jim's "mega review", I'm not so sure I about it. The other option I have is the new BenQ -VW, but that's $225 more.

... I need help... really :D.
Get the Dell and use the $225 towards something shinny with lots of button. :D

Get the Dell and use the $225 towards something shinny with lots of button. :D

Yeah, that's the logical pick... but I don't know if I can live with the 2407 not supporting 1080i/1080p on every input (though I don't know if this has been fixed with Rev A04).

Yeah, that's the logical pick... but I don't know if I can live with the 2407 not supporting 1080i/1080p on every input (though I don't know if this has been fixed with Rev A04).
I cannot do 1080p on component. But I thought that is because component doesn't have the bandwith for 1080p.

??

I cannot do 1080p on component. But I thought that is because component doesn't have the bandwith for 1080p.

??

I think it's a limitation more related to (HDCP) than anything else. I know the Xbox 360 supports 1080p via VGA and Component for gaming. Now, for movies, it will display all resolutions via VGA, but will only do 1080i (HD-DVD) and 480p (DVD) when connected via Component.

I think it's a limitation more related to (HDCP) than anything else. I know the Xbox 360 supports 1080p via VGA and Component for gaming. Now, for movies, it will display all resolutions via VGA, but will only do 080i (HD-DVD) and 480p (DVD) when connected via Component.
The 2407 could not support 1080p over component with my PS3. It would only set to 1080i. I could do 1080p on other connections. (DVI, VGA)

??

Component video does have the bandwidth for a full 1080p. The Dell monitor would not work with 1080p on my 360, however, the BenQ would. I didn't test the 360 HDDVD drive on any of the units, but I know there is a limit set by Microsoft of 1080i HD-DVD on the 360 through component video (MPAA's fault, I am sure). I guess component video is too easy to copy or something. How many of you have hardware to make an exact copy of a 1080p component video stream? Yeah, 0, I am sure. Anyway, VGA on the 360 is allowed to play HDDVD content at 1080p.

Games on the 360 are not using the copy protection crap, so if your display will support it, then it will output 1080p on VGA or component. Dell doesn't do it, LG doesn't do it... Only the BenQ (from my showdown, anyway...)

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

Now, the $1000000000 question... based on the price diff between the Dell 2407 @ $550 (special pricing I'm able to get only for this weekend) and the BenQ FP241WZ @ $750, which one would you pick, after completing your review and all?

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

Now, the $1000000000 question... based on the price diff between the Dell 2407 @ $550 (special pricing I'm able to get only for this weekend) and the BenQ FP241WZ @ $750, which one would you pick, after completing your review and all?

Dell 2407 @ $550? Holy hell, now I feel rip off paying for my Dell $700+. How on earth did you do it? Umm....are you Jesus?

Hehehe, my Dell cost $925 (UK sterling £475) but the BenQ FP241WZ is a whooping $1365 (UK sterling £700).

Rip of Britain reigns supreme, the Dell is actually cheap for UK prices!! Dell UK want $1500 (UK sterling £765).

LOL. You guys don't know how lucky you are for consumer electronics in the US. As you can appreciate, no wonder it takes me masses of research to make a choice!

Mike

I just received a Dell 10% off coupon that expires on March 22nd. It can be used for a monitor and I won't use it. First person to PM me can have it.

-Carlos

Hehehe, my Dell cost $925 (UK sterling £475) but the BenQ FP241WZ is a whooping $1365 (UK sterling £700).

Rip of Britain reigns supreme, the Dell is actually cheap for UK prices!! Dell UK want $1500 (UK sterling £765).

LOL. You guys don't know how lucky you are for consumer electronics in the US. As you can appreciate, no wonder it takes me masses of research to make a choice!

Mike

Do Brits have to pay the "BBC tax" on these monitors since they can be used for CATV?

Mike

I hope you guys make more money at your jobs, across the pond... Man, that's seems high... In any case, the Dell is a good monitor. I just preferred the BenQ a little more. It's maybe worth $50 or $100 more, but not $440 more!! Wow, that is a huge price difference. I have a buddy who paid for the older 24" dell monitor, and he paid around $1000 for it. It's been worth it for him, and this new 2407 is much better, especially if you have the A03, and then the A04 for scaling additions. Later...

A little off topic, but for many ppl 2" would not justify the U$300 more, any of you know if the 22" models from dell or benq have the same quality? I mean ghost effect, lag, not inputs...

raf, the only 22incher that has decent inputs is the Gateway 22inch. But with all 22inch LCDs you get what you pay for. They are all TN panel based, can not do 1080P res. They have below average color reproduction, and poor viewing angles. I have used a TN's before. A 19inch WS and a 20 inch WS. They were ok, considering I did not know much about LCD technology. They do offer good bang for your buck, but if you have the money, the 24inch screens are much much better. But if you can't the new 22inch TN's are not that bad. The popular choices are the samsung 226W and the LG 22inch. Both can be had for under 330$ atm.

raf, the only 22incher that has decent inputs is the Gateway 22inch. But with all 22inch LCDs you get what you pay for. They are all TN panel based, can not do 1080P res. They have below average color reproduction, and poor viewing angles. I have used a TN's before. A 19inch WS and a 20 inch WS. They were ok, considering I did not know much about LCD technology. They do offer good bang for your buck, but if you have the money, the 24inch screens are much much better. But if you can't the new 22inch TN's are not that bad. The popular choices are the samsung 226W and the LG 22inch. Both can be had for under 330$ atm.

I can do a 24", but I will be using it only for my PC, so 300 more its really a big difference, plus I dont need all those inputs. I'm talking about the issues you mentioned plus ghosting and lag.
Thanks

I can do a 24", but I will be using it only for my PC, so 300 more its really a big difference, plus I dont need all those inputs. I'm talking about the issues you mentioned plus ghosting and lag.
Thanks
For me it's a screen real estate issue. 22" monitors are the same resolution as 20" monitors 1680 x 1050. Why spend the money to get a 22" when you're not actually getting more room on the screen. You might as well save money and go with a 20". In my opinion, having 1900 x 1200 is worth the extra $$$.

For me it's a screen real estate issue. 22" monitors are the same resolution as 20" monitors 1680 x 1050. Why spend the money to get a 22" when you're not actually getting more room on the screen. You might as well save money and go with a 20". In my opinion, having 1900 x 1200 is worth the extra $$$.

What he said... A buddy of mine got a 22" widescreen, and I didn't care for it at all. If it has 1680x1050, I'd prefer it on a 20.1".....

What he said... A buddy of mine got a 22" widescreen, and I didn't care for it at all. If it has 1680x1050, I'd prefer it on a 20.1".....

A 24" widescreen at 1920x1200 would be 94.34 dots per inch. That's pretty close to what windows specifies, or 96dpi.

A 22" widescreen at 1680x1050 is 90.05 dpi. That's not too bad if you like your font a little larger. And a 20" widescreen at the same res is 99.06 dpi. That's just a little bit smaller than I like, but some people do.

As far as the 22" vs 24", it really is a big cost difference. Pretty much double the cost, for now. So, for double the price what do you get?

2" more diagonal
41.36 extra square inches of screen space (258.89 vs 217.53)
540,000 more pixels (thats more than an 800x600 screen)
Full 1080p HD resolution for whatever HD device you have handy
A VA based panel instead of a TN based panel (much better viewing angles)
Usually no backlight bleeding, and most 22" panels have some
Usually more kinds of inputs and correct aspect scaling capabilities
The knowledge that you have a freaking awesome monitor and people drool when they see it. (unless you have a very rich friend who just bough the Dell 30" :-p )

Double the price, but far more than double the value, in my opinion. Later...

A 24" widescreen at 1920x1200 would be 94.34 dots per inch. That's pretty close to what windows specifies, or 96dpi.

A 22" widescreen at 1680x1050 is 90.05 dpi. That's not too bad if you like your font a little larger. And a 20" widescreen at the same res is 99.06 dpi. That's just a little bit smaller than I like, but some people do.

As far as the 22" vs 24", it really is a big cost difference. Pretty much double the cost, for now. So, for double the price what do you get?

2" more diagonal
41.36 extra square inches of screen space (258.89 vs 217.53)
540,000 more pixels (thats more than an 800x600 screen)
Full 1080p HD resolution for whatever HD device you have handy
A VA based panel instead of a TN based panel (much better viewing angles)
Usually no backlight bleeding, and most 22" panels have some
Usually more kinds of inputs and correct aspect scaling capabilities
The knowledge that you have a freaking awesome monitor and people drool when they see it. (unless you have a very rich friend who just bough the Dell 30" :-p )

Double the price, but far more than double the value, in my opinion. Later...
Well said!

Back