Showdown: BenQ FP241WZ vs. Dell 2407-A04

Of these 3 monitors, which one would be best for just pure 3rd person shooters games runnning from the PC, no console games?

Of these 3 monitors, which one would be best for just pure 3rd person shooters games runnning from the PC, no console games?

If you read the end of the showdown he says something about the LG being the better PC monitor with least LAG and thats the main thing u want with FPS games :)

On that note anyone know where you can buy that LG L246WP online in US? The only one i can find online is in futureshop in Canada and they dont ship to US :(

Do Brits have to pay the "BBC tax" on these monitors since they can be used for CATV?

BBC Tax? Nope, you need a TV Licence (UK Government tax) for equipment with TV Tunning capabilities and that you use for watching broadcast TV. None of these monitors can do this without extra equipment so they don't apply.

This review by Jim R should be a sticky...plus he should somehow be able to review/edit other 24 inch monitors reviews done by others.

@Jim Robbins
Did you get a chance to try running your computer thru HDMI to the WZ? The reason I'm asking is it seems to be treating the signal as HDTV. Not a big deal to me, I'm using the DVI input for the computer. It will still put out 1080p in HDMI, (bars top and bottom), but switching to full mode stretches the desktop like an HDTV. I guess it is designed to be an HD input rather than a computer input. Maybe it's just my video card.

Have you had a chance to run any true 1080p games with PerfectMotion yet?

I actually started to dismantle mine but stopped when it took more force to pry it apart than I thought was necessary. It looked like there was some fragile foil inside. Maybe I can get sinbios to translate the Chinese article where they dismantled theirs. :p

@Jim Robbins
I guess it is designed to be an HD input rather than a computer input. Maybe it's just my video card.

Well it doesn't really need a HDMI port that supports more than 1080p since there is a DVI connection. It's not your video card though, several people I have talked to have had the same behavior exhibit itself. I really despise how video cards are going the HDMI route though.

I really despise how video cards are going the HDMI route though.
Yeah, are they running sound through there, or just wasting that connection?

There's the two extra wires they need to do user upgradeable firmware! Write this down BenQ. LOL

great comparison Jim. I was deciding on these models until the 26" acer came into the picture. For a few bucks more, the extra real estate is welcome.

Any ideas on what panel is in that 26", and if it would be as "mature" as these other products?!?!?

Yeah, are they running sound through there, or just wasting that connection?

There's the two extra wires they need to do user upgradeable firmware! Write this down BenQ. LOL

No sound as far as I know. It would require a sound processor of sorts, and the monitors that can support audio throughput and HDMI probably don't have them linked.

Well I just got my Dell 2407WFP ($566 total) and I am very impressed with it so far. I have played around with everything maxed out @1920x1200 AOE III, BF2142, Prey, and some others. All games look great, and it performs well with no ghosting in the FPS games.

Just an update! :)

I've own both and I don't think so. Dells image quality is much better. As for the 360, it looks like crap on both. Even though A03(and preveous) suffers from a 1:1 issue, I always had issues with the gateway and tearing when switching through the options. So it's scaling options wasn't without problems.

Wow, then something is up with your config on that Gateway, because 360 @1080p looks amazing on mine with no tearing at all on any input.

Well I just got my Dell 2407WFP ($566 total) and I am very impressed with it so far. I have played around with everything maxed out @1920x1200 AOE III, BF2142, Prey, and some others. All games look great, and it performs well with no ghosting in the FPS games.

Just an update! :)

How did you get it for $566? Stackable coupons?

great comparison Jim. I was deciding on these models until the 26" acer came into the picture. For a few bucks more, the extra real estate is welcome.

Any ideas on what panel is in that 26", and if it would be as "mature" as these other products?!?!?
I would stay away from the Acer. The panel is probally low quailty and I would probally grab the LG 24 inch, or the Dell for your best bang for buck with the current prices plus the extra coupons floating around.

@Jim Robbins
Did you get a chance to try running your computer thru HDMI to the WZ? The reason I'm asking is it seems to be treating the signal as HDTV. Not a big deal to me, I'm using the DVI input for the computer. It will still put out 1080p in HDMI, (bars top and bottom), but switching to full mode stretches the desktop like an HDTV. I guess it is designed to be an HD input rather than a computer input. Maybe it's just my video card.
I didn't hook the PC up to the HDMI port on the BenQ. It probably treats all HDMI input the same way. I am guessing it isn't the video card. I can maybe hook the laptop up to it and see what happens. I have a DVI port on that unit. I'll let you know what it does.

Have you had a chance to run any true 1080p games with PerfectMotion yet?
I had my 360 hooked up the other day, and was running it in 1080p with component video. I wanted to see if I'd be any better at Geometry Wars on a small screen (360 is usually hooked to my projector). I tried it with PerfectMotion on and off. It was pretty similar. There wasn't really much ghosting with it off. At least, it seems good enough to me. But I did prefer it on for that game. It dimmed the screen just a bit, and made everything just slightly more clear. I'd say the PM function has a good use once in a while. Oh, and btw, I didn't do any better just because of the screen size. *grin*

Hello,
thanks for your tests!
I wonder about the "input lag"/latency tests,
because some people owning the Benq only see it lagging when run at non-native resolutions.
They don't have the 1:1 capable version yet i guess, so they only compared native vs scaled resolution, but they used cameras too.
If you still have that crt around, it might be nice to see 1-2 shots of the lag when the benq has to scale the image, and maybe a shot while using 1920x1200 aswell, even though that should be the same as 1:1 mapped lower resolutions in theory.. *shrug*

First off, thank you for the reviews!

Second, one question I have from reading involves the Dell 2407. As Jim states, "The only thing I didn't like is no Contrast adjustment is available on the DVI mode. Stuff using VGA gave me Contrast as an option, but not on DVI."

What are everyone's thoughts on not being able to adjust the contrast while using DVI? I've seen the 2407 up close a few times and was fairly impressed with it, but this does bother me a little...

First off, thank you for the reviews!

Second, one question I have from reading involves the Dell 2407. As Jim states, "The only thing I didn't like is no Contrast adjustment is available on the DVI mode. Stuff using VGA gave me Contrast as an option, but not on DVI."

What are everyone's thoughts on not being able to adjust the contrast while using DVI? I've seen the 2407 up close a few times and was fairly impressed with it, but this does bother me a little...

DVI settings are supposed to be set through your video card.

DVI settings are supposed to be set through your video card.
Ok, that's all well and good, but why would brightness still be adjustable? For that matter, why do other monitors of equal size offer a contrast adjustment through DVI?

I'm hoping to learn something new here as I have never really heard this before.

Ok, that's all well and good, but why would brightness still be adjustable? For that matter, why do other monitors of equal size offer a contrast adjustment through DVI?

I'm hoping to learn something new here as I have never really heard this before.

Most video cards let you play with the color, brightness, and contrast options. ATI and NVidia for sure. And, it's not likely you will be using something other than that with one of these units. I didn't play with those video card settings at all for my showdown.

I DO wish that these monitors would let you adjust the Backlight, as no amount of video card or other color tweaking can change that. Several flat panel LCD tv's at Best Buy let you change the backlight. That is very handy for a very dark or very bright room. *shrug*

Any ideas on what panel is in that 26", and if it would be as "mature" as these other
products?!?!?

A head to head review of the Acer and the Dell 2707....

http://www.behardware.com/articles/658-1/lcd-tests-the-acer-and-dell-26-and-27.html

The Acer 26" actually beats the Dell for gaming and has less ghosting,its better for gameplay,and....

In tests, the AL2616WD surprised us. Acer introduced it as simply a 26" monitor. However they omitted that it is equipped with new wide gamut backlighting.

A head to head review of the Acer and the Dell 2707....

http://www.behardware.com/articles/658-1/lcd-tests-the-acer-and-dell-26-and-27.html

The Acer 26" actually beats the Dell for gaming and has less ghosting,its better for gameplay,and....
Interesting that Acer wouldn't advertise the wider gamut. To be complete though, I think it's worth mentioning that right after that the reviewers mention that
It is also very difficult to make adjustments without a probe and even if we achieved some improvements, our attempts revealed large brightness differences for the entire panel.

Verdict: this is a good monitor for someone who doesn’t want to spend a lot of money. Do not ask for more.
So it seems from their conclusions that they prefer the Dell in nearly every aspect (while the Acer is faster, they say it's not by much) except for price, which is still much too high.

Hey I finally found this thread...if your still here Jim R, thanks for the review - one of the best. Bjorn3d is looking for reviewers if your into it...check it out!

Btw, I wanted to go with a NEC 2690 but for $1500 they wont warrant against dead pixels. Cant justify the cost versus the warranty. If your still on hardforum, do you have any updates to your showdown? Im thinking of going with the benq Z.

I just got my LG L245WP today. I went from a 17inch to this. I can not believe the screen size. I had to immediately play Call of Duty 2 and I watch carefully for any blur, ghosting, or tearing and could not find any. I also ran Real Flight R/C Simulator 3.5 and used the airport during the night. The darks are great and the lights on the planes, or in my case I like to fly the helios, the nav lights were always clear. This monitor is great for just computer usage. It does come with component inputs, one hdmi and sub input. NO dvi but the monitor came with the dvi to hdmi cable. No dead pixs and backlighting is great.

Just want to say thanks for this review. It saved me 200 Euros since the Benq was also nice but I do not need it since I do not have a console. This LG is perfect for my needs, and for 3rd person shooters.

I have been trying out a lg L246W for about a week now. Now I am pretty new at this LCD thing, but so far I have been very happy with it.
I have been somewhat surprised that I have not seen much discussion on this model here.
Backlight bleed seems to be pretty good and no pixal issues, stuck or dead. Checked on sub pixals and all seems good there also.

Lon

I have been trying out a lg L246W for about a week now. Now I am pretty new at this LCD thing, but so far I have been very happy with it.
I have been somewhat surprised that I have not seen much discussion on this model here.
Backlight bleed seems to be pretty good and no pixal issues, stuck or dead. Checked on sub pixals and all seems good there also.

Lon
I think I'm pretty sold on this monitor. It seems to be a cheaper alternative to the BenQ (uses the same P-MVA panel) that's readily available in retail stores and without the problems with 1:1 mapping that the BenQ seems to have. It's true that there are less inputs available (no composite, s-video, or DVI), but if you don't need those anyway then this seems to be a great deal.

I'm just waiting for a bit to see if Best Buy has any good sales and for any other feedback on this monitor. I'm also a bit surprised that there' hasn't been much discussion about this monitor. The Gateway was hugely popular, being available in retail stores, I'd have thought that this LG would be very attractive as well.

i picked one up last night. so far the LG is not bad.. backlight good, angles good, colors good.. but... why is it when i set it to 1:1 scaling in the OSD and i pick the native resolution (1920x1200)... if i go back to, say 1600:1200.. it's stretched again....? does anyone else have this problem?

ahh~~ other then my samsung 215tw, though the panel is somewhat brighter on the left side, i have yet to find another monitor that does all i want. :mad: thinking of just rma'ing the samsung.. would such an issue be covered under warranty? and how long would this whole process take??

Jim, you said that LG is easier on eyes, since it's not as bright as the other two? This is important for me, since I do a lot of all-night coding sessions and I want an LCD that will not burn my eyes out. Could you say more about that? Does brightness/contrast tweaking not help?

I'm considering both BenQ and LG. I want to use it mostly for long sessions with editors (work), web surfing and movies, occasionally games. No consoles, external sources or anything (but I can't say that having the LCD "ready" for those would be bad).

My concern with the LG is that I'm afraid older games and games in lower resolutions and/or not 16:9 might not scale properly or look bad. I would have chosen BenQ, but I've heard many people saying (including Jim) that it's very bright, and also that it's not better than LG (as long as i want to use it for PC only).

Could anybody comment on that please? Thanks!

Thanks Jim!

Would be so great if you could answer a few questions :

Which is to be preferred playing Xbox 360 on - BenQ with component or Dell with VGA?
When playing on your 360 on the Ben Q on the best setting (aspect) do you have a perfectly fitting image? No cropping/stretching/anything. I get mixed information about this.

Excellent!

I still wonder about the LG's HDMI input. Do you lose anything from DVI-DualLink -> HDMI?
Also, what about it's glossy screen(and that hideous glossy base)?

I'm going to use the LCD for my PC - I don't have any consoles - but we're all greedy and want the best. Can't decide between LG or BenQ.

Excellent!

I still wonder about the LG's HDMI input. Do you lose anything from DVI-DualLink -> HDMI?
Also, what about it's glossy screen(and that hideous glossy base)?

I'm going to use the LCD for my PC - I don't have any consoles - but we're all greedy and want the best. Can't decide between LG or BenQ.

You lose the ability for your PC to go into sleep, you cannot control it through windows and would have to turn the monitor on and off manually.. for some this is unacceptable (like me) others don't care. The screen isn't glossy, only the base. (Please don't buy a monitor based on the base looks, I am really conscious about things like that too but, that shouldn't be a factor).

If you want the best and are using it for work only, look elsewhere. Particularly so IPS panels in NEC like the 2490wuxi or the 2690 (avg around 100 more).

Reviving this one just to clear things up..

You do not loose any power savings-control over the L245/L246 monitor just because it has HDMI.

Concerning the Lg L246wp.

When connected to video sources such as a PS3, the "Original" mode is exactly the same as 1:1 when your PS3 is outputting 1080p material. !6:9 correct resolution with black bars top and bottom. Only 720p stuff isn't 1:1.

The brightness of this monitor is very natural and would be perfect for all night coding sessions lol.

After extensive 5 months researching I went with this exact model over everything, including Eizo, for my particular use.

It doesnt have a glossy screen, it has a ultra low semi gloss but to my discerning eyes appears 100% matte.(I didnt want a gloss screen and that was about 75% why I got this monitor, believe me its not glossy). The shiny base mixed with the piano black screen casing is not as bad as he says it is, I kind of like the difference it makes it more interesting.

I say alot about this monitor in two posts on this page.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1167222&page=60

Back