Silverstone ST45SF SFX 450w PSU

I got a i5 2.66 on that new DFI Mitx. I have no CD-rom and a Velociraptor.

Yeah I'm sorta shocked too.

I sent email to Silverstone and asked:

Can you give any estimate about when that new 450W SFX PSU (ST45SF) would be available? Also, because it is capable to handle Radeon 5870 cards, a you going to release improved versions of SG05/SG06 cases having a bit more internal space so that 5870 would fit? Does this new 450W PSU replace that current 300W model so that it will be shipped with SG05/SG06 cases?

Silverstone replied:

450W SFX PSU will available on April

And new case SG07 can support 5870 and 5970 will available on May.

New 450 W PSU will come with retail package, not sell with case.

will the cables in the 450w psu be shorter to prevent an octopus outbreak in a sg06?

they said it will be out in april. it is only the end of march.

have patience young grasshopper.

Steve, since it's already shipped to retailers shouldn't they have posted the price for this by now?

I wish I could be sure of getting this in April, but being in Australia...

I had to order an HD5850 for my SG05 instead :(

Btw, what's the most powerful vid card you could run on this?

Steve, since it's already shipped to retailers shouldn't they have posted the price for this by now?
No, it shipped from China to SilverStone warehouse in California. They obviously have a price but I don't know it yet :)

I wish I could be sure of getting this in April, but being in Australia...

I had to order an HD5850 for my SG05 instead :(

Btw, what's the most powerful vid card you could run on this?

Read up on the thread, man!

5850 is what I got. I've had a gtx 275 in there too. GTX 280 and 5890 are to much for the current psu.

Thank you Tony. I hoped it would to be cheaper since 300w from my SG06 is going to be waste but it's not really bad. I just need to make front plate for my SG06 to lower H50 and get this PSU and I'm set. :)

59€... cheaper than I expected, I must admit :) Of course, in Finland one can probably toss a bit of premium on top :p

Thank you Tony. I hoped it would to be cheaper since 300w from my SG06 is going to be waste but it's not really bad. I just need to make front plate for my SG06 to lower H50 and get this PSU and I'm set. :)
Maybe we can convince Tony to give special pricing in we sell 30 of them :p Ha.

$70 isn't bad considering what you are getting!

I know it's not bad price at all at least with spec on paper. :) It's just that I've got no use for 300w(maybe another small build?) that came with my SG06 which would have been perfect for SS to charge maybe another $20 and include that with SG05/06 instead of 300w. Well, either way, it's too late for me since I already have SG06 :D I'm pretty sure I'll grab it as soon as it comes out :) Hope it's quiet.

Maybe we can convince Tony to give special pricing in we sell 30 of them :p Ha.

$70 isn't bad considering what you are getting!

I wonder if any retailers will offer this instead in the sg06, bit annoying ending up with a spare psu. Good that a decent make and wattage sfx psu has come out though, previously the highest was a 350w be quiet! one so much better if I do decide to scratch build.

I think it's price is fine....still they should bundle it with the case as another SKU,

+1 to bundle with seperate case, although It would be useful to keep the 300w psu for a scratch build though,
pico psu's are hard to find in NZ

True enough that it would be better to have the 450W as an option to buy directly with the SG05/06 as another SKU. It's indeed a waste (more than in one way) to have to buy the 300W if one doesn't need it.

Maybe they could sell the sg06 with the new psu and the sg05 with the old one, so they can use up all the 300w ones left and have more of a difference between the two cases.

Stockpile the 300w PSU's and make a super PSU! MWAHAHAHAH
then have a super dooper quad GPU Mini ITX thing.

SCIENCE!

Tony, since crb said that a Silverstone reply to him indicated that the new PSU won't be bundled with a case, will the upcoming SG07 be available without a power supply?

Will the ST45SF be sent out to reviewers? (If so, use good ones like jonnyGURU and HardOCP.)

"Shipped" means "put on a ship in China, will arrive 4 weeks later in California."

Thomas Dolby would be proud.

Tony, since crb said that a Silverstone reply to him indicated that the new PSU won't be bundled with a case, will the upcoming SG07 be available without a power supply?

Will the ST45SF be sent out to reviewers? (If so, use good ones like jonnyGURU and HardOCP.)

"Shipped" means "put on a ship in China, will arrive 4 weeks later in California."

Thomas Dolby would be proud.
I might get a review but i don't have the equipment to do a real PSU review. Some of the reviewers are falling on hard times now as well. Yikes!

The SG07 will come with a PSU. No option without it. PSU = higher margin

Hello.

Someone said it is possible to fit a 5850 inside a SG05/06. If so then it's also possible to fit a GTX 470 which is the same length. My question is whether this PSU is able to handle a 470? I intend to build a SG05/06, ST45SF, i7 860 (on the DFI LanParty P55 mini-ITX), 470. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure that you'll be better off with fitting a 470 over a 5850 because its pci power thingies are pointing up, not like the 5850 where it points forwards

Nice. That would make a pretty nice configuration. There's one more thing that's on my mind. Am I going to be able to do a little overclocking on this thing (SG05/06, ST45SF 450w SFX, DFI P55 mini-ITX, i7 860, GTX 470)? I'm not expecting much, of course. Just a little bit of a CPU boost. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

I think the GTX470 would make a lot of noise in a case like the SG05/06. It would also run very hot. The HD5850 still gets my vote tbh (also because I think nVidia drivers are utter dross, but that's another matter really).

Is it going to get too hot? So hot that it would be a problem? From what I've read the SG05/06 seems to have a pretty decent airflow. I thought it's capable of cooling a 470. Sure, the 480 is a burning beast aside from being too long to fit. But the reviews I've read state that the 470 is neither as hot nor as loud as the 480. Actually, there's a review that says the 470 is relatively quiet. Although, I might be underestimating the situation. I certainly wouldn't like to use something uncomfortably hot and loud.

Anyway, the main reason I chose (and waited for quite long) nVidia is because I want to use 3D Vision. I'd like to play the singleplayer component of some games in 3D but more importantly I want to be able to watch 3D blu-ray movies.

Again, thanks, your help is much appreciated.

SG05 has good heat disipation for GPUs, that has never been an issue. The GPU is itself virtually on it's own thermal zone and with some thinkering you could further isolate it.

The PSU is more important in there

Does this mean I should get a SG05 rather than a SG06? I was leaning towards a SG06 because the fan isn't visible on the front and has golf blades. Is it really more quiet? More importantly, could a SG06 handle the configuration I'm planning (860, 470, etc.)?

sg05 and 06 are basically the same just with different front panels (plastic for sg05 and aluminium for sg06), the choice is really just an aesthetic one.

Back