SN25P User's Guide

Hiya Rip,

Here's a few more things I would try and see if you get any results. Relax your timings more to 3-3-3-6. Just to be safe that it's not your RAM getting overheated or anything of that sort. Head into BIOS and switch your USB to legacy 1.1 and make sure it is not a conflict with any USB devices (supposing you have at least 1). Try the latest nVidia 77.77 beta drivers and see if you get anymore runtime errors. Set fan speed to Noise-High and see if it helps with stability.

Then there's a few questions I have for your system. Have you updated your BIOS (though this doesn't seem like a BIOS related issue)? What temp is your CPU running at (not sure if "system temp" refers to that or not)?

Ald

I set up my machine before finding this great guide and now want to make some 'corrections' to my setup.

I have a quick question:
- How do I uninstall the IDE driver?

I see nVidia drivers in my Control Panel, Remove programs, and then have a list of Display, Ethernet of PCI System management driver as the options when I select 'remove'. I dont see the IDE driver listed.

There are options to remove only display or remove all drivers or just the slelected ones. Should the list not include the IDE driver as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi dvtonder,

Do you have version 6.66 of the nForce chipset driver installed? I have experienced this problem as well under that version of the driver. It seems like nVidia forgot to include the uninstall file into the registry, thus not showing up in the add/remove programs list. If you are running the 5.53 version however, you shouldn't be experiencing this problem.

Are you having any problems with your current system? If you don't, then I would leave it the way it is until problems arise and you need to take action. If you would still like to remove it and you do have the 6.66 nForce chipset drivers installed, let me know and I'll walk you through how to replace the missing registry line and make the nForce IDE Driver show up in add/remove programs.

Ald

Aldoria said:
Hi dvtonder,

Do you have version 6.66 of the nForce chipset driver installed? I have experienced this problem as well under that version of the driver. It seems like nVidia forgot to include the uninstall file into the registry, thus not showing up in the add/remove programs list. If you are running the 5.53 version however, you shouldn't be experiencing this problem.

Are you having any problems with your current system? If you don't, then I would leave it the way it is until problems arise and you need to take action. If you would still like to remove it and you do have the 6.66 nForce chipset drivers installed, let me know and I'll walk you through how to replace the missing registry line and make the nForce IDE Driver show up in add/remove programs.

Ald
Why not just type up step by step instructions and add it to this guide?

theacoustician said:
Why not just type up step by step instructions and add it to this guide?

Because I'm at work :p I need to have access to my computer to get the exact pathing and file names that needs to be looked at. Also, I'm not sure if this is a global problem or it is just for a few people under special circumstances. Prior to dvtonder, I haven't seen anyone complain about the lack of removal of nForce IDE Drivers via add/remove program list. But as far as my personal tests go, that's what I concluded, which is nVidia forgot to add it to the registry ;)

So before I make any recommendations or add anything to the guide, I want to ensure that it is a problem with the common population and that it needs to be addressed.

Ald

Aldoria said:
Because I'm at work :p I need to have access to my computer to get the exact pathing and file names that needs to be looked at. Also, I'm not sure if this is a global problem or it is just for a few people under special circumstances. Prior to dvtonder, I haven't seen anyone complain about the lack of removal of nForce IDE Drivers via add/remove program list. But as far as my personal tests go, that's what I concluded, which is nVidia forgot to add it to the registry ;)

So before I make any recommendations or add anything to the guide, I want to ensure that it is a problem with the common population and that it needs to be addressed.

Ald
Well, I didn't mean this second, but whenever you have time. I'm sure that anyone upgrading to nForce drivers v. 6.66 will have this problem.

Side note : anyone have a clue when the next round of nForce and Forceware drivers will be out?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I have 6.66 installed.

I have had a few unexplained BSOD's (USBPORT.SYS), typically when I am running disk intensive opperations such as downloading a file while streaming video and working in email etc (I tend to multi task a lot). I have since disabled the power management on the USB hubs based on a recommendation I read elsewhere and have not had the BSOD since (touch wood).

I did have a complete freeze with drive light on yesterday where the PC would not even see the SATA drive on reset. I replaced the Shuttle SATA cables with new ones I bought a week ago (but procrastinated on installing them :() and everything is fine again (touch wood again)

One thing I have found impossible is installing WinXP x64 edition, it freezes on 'Starting Windows Setup' every time, even loading the 6.66 drivers. WinVI (both 32 and 64bit) installed perfectly except for not recognizing the LAN card - it may be useful to add this to the Users Guide, including the link to the Beta1 Vista drivers from nVidia (ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vista/beta1/) although I have been unable to install the LAN driver at all.

I would appreciate it if you could post the instructions on how to add the IDE driver uninstall to the registry. I may not need to use it but one never knows ...

Regards

David

dvtonder,

I will try to write a walk-through for you and post it here when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully it is the cause of your problem.

Ald

So after the recent (tuesday 8/9) release of MS patches XP crashed with a BSOD in a loop. I went into safe mode, removed them, to no avail. After playing around a ton, I did the /onecpu to the boot.ini and bam everything's back to normal so be careful if your installing the latest batch of MS patches and you have a duel core, or it might just be me! Thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into the issue.

I'll post this as a topic of concern for users and monitor the status of this issue. Thanks for the heads up!

Ald

poopman said:
So after the recent (tuesday 8/9) release of MS patches XP crashed with a BSOD in a loop. I went into safe mode, removed them, to no avail. After playing around a ton, I did the /onecpu to the boot.ini and bam everything's back to normal so be careful if your installing the latest batch of MS patches and you have a duel core, or it might just be me! Thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into the issue.

Are you running the new 'Y' beta bios? I have been holding off installing it.

dvtonder,

Here's some detailed information regarding the nForce chipset version 6.66.

Within your windows\system32 folder, you should find the following files and you should confirm you have these uninstall files.

nvudisp.exe - NVidia display uninstaller (If you are using a NVidia graphics card of course)
NVUNINST.EXE - The main program which accept list of commands for general uninstallation.
nvunrm.exe - NVidia Ethernet uninstaller
nvusmb.exe - NVidia SMBus uninstaller
nvuide.exe - NVidia IDE Driver uninstaller

nvdisp.nvu - file called by Display uninstaller
nvnrm.nvu - file called by Ethernet uninstaller
nvsmb.nvu - file called by SMBus uninstaller
nvide.nvu - file called by IDE Driver uninstaller

If you do not have the nvuide.exe, I suggest you to run the nForce chipset 6.66 installer and on an attempt to install it, just simply cancel it. What you are looking for are the files that are default extracted to C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.66. Go into IDE\WinXP folder and head into the folder called sata_ide. Copy and paste the nvide.nvu and nvuide.exe into your system32 folder.

Now, it is time to edit your registry keys. Go to Start > Run and type regedit. Browse to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers\SubComponents

Right click on regedit and click new > String Value. Enter the value name as "NVIDIA IDE Driver" and click ok. Right click on the String Value you just made and click modify. For value data, input "nvide.nvu". This should now allow you to see your NVIDIA IDE Driver within add/remove programs.

At the end it should look like this format and of course now, you should have 1 more entry then when you started:

nvide.nvu | REG_SZ | NVIDIA IDE Driver

Hope this fixes your problem!

Ald

dvtonder said:
Are you running the new 'Y' beta bios? I have been holding off installing it.

Just downloaded it, and am thinking about installing it. I'm not a big fan of a beta bios but when your not using both of your cores on a duel core extreme measures present themselves :)

It works!

Thank you very much.

Now to see of the BSOD happens again... I think I will leave my system as-is until I need to change it.

David

Ald

Apparantly the system was overheating and was cured by putting the Noise level to Full. Although I have a hair dryer in my room now, it is stable for once. I have ran 3Dmark 2005, Half Life 2, and Doom 3 without any runtime errors. Strangely the Corsair memory will not allow me to lower the timings for it. So I was stuck at 2.5-3-3-6. Changing 2.5 to 3 caused the system to not even startup! I havent understood that issue but the chipset is cooler with the fan setting. The temp went down 15C rapidly. So now it hovers around 40-42C. I am guessing the heatpipe was getting quite hotter than normal and dissipated within the system rising the temperature around the memory. Whatever the reason, it is gone but to fix the noise level now I probably will install a 120mm fan onto the side and create a little window for it. Only then can this thing not keep me up at night in my apartment. Thanks for the help.

Rip

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250mb SATA-II
XFX GeForce 7800GTX
NEC 16x DL DVD-RW/+RW

Has anyone tried this new bios yet? I'm extremely excited to see how it works and if there are any changes in overclockability!

Ok, two quick questions regarding the PS in this unit.

P1 & P2 = mobo power
P3, P4, P5 = sata power connections
P6 = 2 4-pin molex connections

Ok, I know a lot of people have crammed 7800GTX's in this thing. However, the instruction guide says that you need to feed the 6-pin aux power for the video card from 2 different power leads. So you're using P6 & ... ? to power this thing

Secondly, I've got an IDE HDD I'd like to use as my secondary drive and an IDE DVD burner. I've got IDE->SATA adapters to keep everything on the SATA bus to avoid the nVidia IDE issues. Question is is there a SATA power->4-pin molex connector out there or how exactly are you guys powering your drives? I'd use the P6 power lead, but it's already being spoke for in order to power the 7800GTX ...

Just curious because I see a lot of people saying they have success cramming a whole lot of gear into this little box, but I don't see any explanations on how they're powering it.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I have the same concerns as theacoustician... I got my 7800gtx and sn25p earlier this week and am waiting for the rest of the gear to come but was curious when I was looking at everything and playing around with it. Just never got around to posting it.

For my setup, I put the splitter on 1 of the 4-pin molex connections. I then simply just connected one end of the 4-pin molex connection on the end of one of the splitter and the other on the other P6. Then use the remaining molex on the splitter to power my optical drive. I have not had any power related issue with this setup and I'm running 3 hard drives as well. Hope this boosts your confidence :p

And to go into more detail on how I power each component, I have 2 MaxLine III's and I run both of these on SATA power, 1 Raptor which also runs on SATA power. 1 SATA Optical drive which comes with a 4-pin molex to SATA power and it is plugged into the splitter. The remaining splitter and P6 molex are then used for the 7800GTX.

Ald

I like the new 'Y' BIOS

Since installing it, I am finally able to install Windows XP x64 edition where, in the past, my PC would completely freeze up at the blue "Starting Windows Setup", after the initial device load, screen, requiring a hard reset.

I wonder if they fixed a few other 'bugs' as well ...

David

Last night, I have flashed my BIOS to version Y, uninstalled 5.53 chipset drivers and reinstalled with 6.66 (SMBus, Ethernet, IDE Driver), and also uninstalled video drivers 77.72 in place of 77.77 (WHQL certified). Also, I updated with all Windows XP patches that was released on Tuesday.

The reason to install 6.66 with the IDE Driver is to test my curiousity regarding the new version of the BIOS. Since the nForce IDE Driver makes your drive be recognized within "removable devices" and therefore could be somehow assigned with the USB controller, your computer could reboot or freeze when bandwidth is high or whenever your hard drive is using any sort of bandwidth (possible random freezing?). Sometimes, it could be as a random freeze in the cases of USB2.0/X2. I'll let everyone know how this setup goes and if I can achieve a few days of uptime while doing my normal routined task on my computer.

Ald

Aldoria said:
For my setup, I put the splitter on 1 of the 4-pin molex connections. I then simply just connected one end of the 4-pin molex connection on the end of one of the splitter and the other on the other P6. Then use the remaining molex on the splitter to power my optical drive. I have not had any power related issue with this setup and I'm running 3 hard drives as well. Hope this boosts your confidence :p

And to go into more detail on how I power each component, I have 2 MaxLine III's and I run both of these on SATA power, 1 Raptor which also runs on SATA power. 1 SATA Optical drive which comes with a 4-pin molex to SATA power and it is plugged into the splitter. The remaining splitter and P6 molex are then used for the 7800GTX.

Ald
Ok, I did some math

Drawing1.jpg

Um... something doesn't seem right here.

theacoustician,

The SN25P comes with 2 4-pin molex connector. And as you stated in your original post. Therefore, another 4-pin molex connector should be shown. And the drawing is missing a Y molex splitter. The Y molex splitter is on one of the 4-pin, then I take one of the Y molex splitter and connect it to the graphics card 6-pin molex splitter, and the other end on the other 4-pin molex connector that comes from the PSU. Then the remaining Y molex is for the optical drive.

P6 = 2 4-pin molex connections

Another thing, when you show 275W under load, that is for the whole system, not for the graphics card itself. The graphics card cannot pull more than 150W max due to 75W on the PCI-Express line and another 75W from the 6 pin connector.

Ald

Aldoria said:
theacoustician,

The SN25P comes with 2 4-pin molex connector. And as you stated in your original post.

Ald
As well I showed it in the illustration above. It's P6 and its shown pigtailed exactly as it is in real life.

The bigger problem I see is your system must be running at or over spec constantly, especially at the 12V rail. Are the specs on the power supply under rated or what? Can you peek at your BIOS and look at what your power draw is idle and under load on each rail?

I went into my BIOS yesterday since I flashed to Y version and everything seems to be running at the their rated voltage. Also, I edited my post, maybe that should clarify some things.

Ald

Hello, i'm considering building a htpc using this model shuttle, my main question is:

will a newer ATI AIW card fit into the case?

thanks a lot,

S!

Aldoria said:
Another thing, when you show 275W under load, that is for the whole system, not for the graphics card itself. The graphics card cannot pull more than 150W max due to 75W on the PCI-Express line and another 75W from the 6 pin connector.

Ald
See, I was just grabbing that off reviews. Since the published spec for the 7800GTX calls for 12V@26A (312W) under single card usage, I didn't think "real" benchmarks at 275W were entirely out of the question. I guess I was reading it wrong.

Ok, I feel better about cranking this thing up now. I'm almost done with the slipstreamed XP disc I've been working on, so I'll turn it on and finally install this weekend. (stupid home repair projects have been getting in the way of me getting my geek on)

Shafted! said:
Hello, i'm considering building a htpc using this model shuttle, my main question is:

will a newer ATI AIW card fit into the case?

thanks a lot,

S!

No sir, AFAIK all the AIW cards up until this point are AGP and the FN25 motherboard only supports PCI-E x16 for graphics. If you're looking to build an HTPC machine with an AIW card, I suggest checking out the Shuttle SN95G5 Rev. 3 it supports AGP 8x graphics.

kevdoggx said:
No sir, AFAIK all the AIW cards up until this point are AGP and the FN25 motherboard only supports PCI-E x16 for graphics. If you're looking to build an HTPC machine with an AIW card, I suggest checking out the Shuttle SN95G5 Rev. 3 it supports AGP 8x graphics.

Nope, actually ATi has announced (not sure if you can get it yet) the AIW X800XL which is native PCI-Express and that will fit in the SN25P just fine. Here's some information concerning the card.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/aiwx800xl/index.html

Ald

Neato, thanks for correcting me... I haven't been following ATi very closely lately since there's no reason to... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the reply, i may consider buying the SN95G5 now that ive read several reviews and mostly all were positive.

No problemo...

I think that I like the looks of it better, and it's smaller, but I personally wanted to cram a lot into the little thing so I got the bigger one. It's also more future proof with the PCI-E, which is good for me since I'm not an avid upgrader, I usually just buy new systems every few years.

Aldoria said:
I've recieved many PM's and have seen many threads asking about common topics regarding the SN25P on many forums so I've decided to write a little guide for the new users as well as a FAQ for the current users. The information are taken from personal experience and research from various websites.

Setup Guide
--------------------

Here are some of the steps to take to ensure a successful installation as well as a stable SN25P system. All steps are recommended and in no way mandatory to follow these steps.

1. Remove Media Card Reader Connector - On special occasions, a chance for the media card reader to be recognized by Windows as C:\ drive could occur. This would impact the proper installation of Windows XP so it would be safe to remove this connector before hand.

2. Install Windows XP w/ SP2 - It is important to install either the SP1 or SP2 patch prior to installing the chipset drivers or you may get USB related issues.

3. Reconnect Media Card Reader Connector - After fully updating Windows, connect the Media Card Reader Connector and reboot for Windows to assign appropriate drive letters to the Media Card Reader drives.

4(a). Install AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP - This is only applicable to people using the X2 processors. AMD Athlon 64 users go to 2(b), everyone else who do not own an Athlon 64 or a X2 processor should skip this step.

4(b). Install AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP - This is only applicable to people using Athlon 64 processors. If you do not own one, skip to the next step.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Utilities & Updates
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Utilities and Updates

5. Install Windows XP/2000 - nForce4 AMD (6.53) Chipset Drivers - Make sure to uncheck IDE Driver as well as the nForce Audio Driver. Also, I highly recommended NOT installing the NAM (Network Access Manager) due to many problems, ranging from corrupted downloads to BSODs.

Windows XP/2000 - nForce4 AMD (6.53)

6. Install Audio Envy 24 Family Driver - People that install from CD report that the MIC boost option is not present so I recommend getting the latest (451c) from VIA. If you have more questions or is having Audio related issues, please refer to it in the FAQ section.

Envy 24 Family Driver

7. Install Graphics Driver

ForceWare Windows XP/2000 Version 77.77 - Latest WHQL Certified NVidia Drivers
CATALYST Windows XP - Driver Download - Latest ATi Drivers

8. Optional Step: Install Mouse/Keyboard Drivers

9. Optional Step: Flash BIOS to latest Y version (fn25s01y.bin) - This BIOS fixes the USB2.0/X2 problem. The download and guide are below.

From Windows
-------------------------

Winflash Guide
Shuttle SN25P BIOS Version Y - BIN File

From Pure DOS
-------------------------

These directions are directly from Shuttle.

Shuttle SN25P BIOS Version Y - Zip File

And those are the basic drivers setup. I found that sequence of installation to be the most successful amongest other users.

General Troubleshooting Procedures
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cable Check - Make sure all connectors and power cables are snuggly plugged in.

Memory Test - Run Memtest86+ to ensure both stability and error freeness of your memory module.

Memtest86+

CPU Test - Run Prime95 to ensure stability of the CPU.

Prime95

Temperature Check - You can monitor your CPU, GPU and ambiant temperature with NVIDIA® nTune™. Make sure all are within reasonable limits.

CPU: Idle (27 - 45)
CPU: Load (31 - 60)
GPU: Idle (45 - 60)
GPU: Load (57 - 85)

These numbers are just a good range and of course, the high end numbers will seem a bit high but are all reasonable.

NVIDIA® nTune™

Video Card Check - First, you should try the other video output from your graphics card to ensure this is not the issue. Then if at all possible, try your graphics card in another functional system to make sure the card itself is not broken. Before trying different graphics card drivers, make sure to completely uninstall the previous version. Lastly, to ensure that your graphics card do not display any artifacts or glitches, run 3DMark®05 tests.

For High End Users Only: Make sure you are pulling power from two different molex from your PSU and not just simplying connecting both ends to the splitter.

3DMark®05

Fan Check - Make sure all fans are all operational.

General Questions
------------------------------

Q: My computer is randomly freezing and I'm using Shuttle's bundled SATA cable!

A: Switch out your SATA cables immediately! Those have caused people lots of problems and time due to the poor quality of the cables. Though, Shuttle representatives have went through and replaced all new SN25P in the warehouses with better quality cables so perhaps a few weeks down the road, this problem will dissappear.

Q: My computer is randomly freezing and I have a X2 CPU.

A: This is still under investigation. Supposedly, there is some bandwidth issues concerning the Dual Cores and the USB devices. There are workarounds for this. You can either go into your BIOS and disable USB 2.0 support which means your USB 2.0 devices will run a lot slower or you can edit the boot.ini file and add /onecpu to the entry but this would mean to negate the whole purpose of having Dual Cores. I have personally never had this problem.

Update: There has been a newly released BETA BIOS version Y. Some people has had success in which the BIOS solved their USB headaches. Use anything that is labelled BETA, especially BIOS at your own risk!

Update2: Shuttle has finally moved the BIOS version Y to final release. You can find it here.

Shuttle BIOS Final Release Version Y

Q: I recieved BSOD and it's pointing at my USB.

A: Go into device manager and make sure all your USB related devices and hubs have no check mark by the "allows the computer to turn off this device". Like wise, I recommend doing the same if you encounter problems with a certain device.

Q: My computer is freezing or it keeps getting BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and I do have the nForce IDE Driver installed!

A: This is caused by your nForce IDE Drivers, uninstall it from add/remove and problem should be solved.

Q: I get BSOD (or corrupted downloads) on connection of ethernet cable, on browsing of webpages, or downloading.

A: There's two way to solve this. One is to uninstall NAM / ActiveArmor™ which is the simplest solution. The other is to disable ActiveArmor™, but some will still have internet stability problems and BSODs but on a less frequent occasion.

Q: My games / programs are stuttering or feeling slugish and I have Cool'n'Quiet™ enabled, what's wrong?

A: Cool'n'Quiet™ sometimes does not clock your CPU appropriate to the workload sometimes and will cause applications to behave oddly. Easy solution to this is to turn off Cool'n'Quiet™.

Q: My fan is pulsing and I have smartfan enabled within BIOS.

A: Set fan setting to Noise - Mid or use speedfan to manually control each fan in your SN25P.

Q: My World of Warcraft is lagging, help!

A: nForce4 chipset are known for this and the solution is to go into device manager, go to your nForce4 Gigabit Ethernet card, disable checksum_offload.

Q: I can't get MIC boost to work!

A: Some users have had problems when installing the VIA drivers that comes on the Shuttle CD. I recommend either installing drivers provided by VIA or the latest ones on the Shuttle's webpage. Both seems to work fine. On a sidenote, the Shuttle drivers seems to have all options enabled regarding Immezio 3D Sound (QSound) while the VIA version does not. Another note is that people who have installed the VIA drivers from the Shuttle CD and cannot get the MIC boost option might require a reformat (depending on uninstallation of driver).

Q: My display is displaying a blank screen even though I know Windows is loading.

A: If your video card comes with 2 DVI output, some users has issues to get anything to display on one of the DVI ports, try to switch output and see if it works out. For DVI / VGA graphics card users, try the other port and see if this problem is resolved.

Q: My display seem to be lagging/sluggish.

A: Refer to the previous answer. These two issues seems to be semi-related.

General Information
---------------------------------

Q: Are the new nForce4 chipset 6.66 drivers good?

A: In terms of NAM fixes, no, you will still BSOD when trying to use ActiveArmor™, don't even bother trying unless you are very bored. The IDE Driver are still flaky, random freezes are still present within the driver. Highly recommend to avoid it still. The SMBus Driver's version has not changed from 6.53 and the Ethernet Drivers seems to be working fine as well though no noticable changes from 6.53. I generally recommend staying with 6.53 as it seems to be the most stable driver of the series.

Q: Should I uninstall previous nForce4 chipset driver before update?

A: The general population would answer yes. Some even take extreme measures and use drivercleaner to make sure everything is cleaned off before applying an updated nForce chipset driver. So, it is generally a good idea to uninstall all previous nForce chipset driver to ensure integrity of your system.

Q: Is SN25P really a nForce4 Ultra chipset?

A: The nForce4 vanilla was only released at initial launch. All current SN25P's are of the Ultra chipset and supports SATA II.

Q: Can I fit the 7800GTX in a SN25P?

A: Yes, however people have either put it in with the card bending a little due to the air duct or people (like myself) have taken out the air duct altogether. Others went as far as to cut a little strip out of the air duct to fit the card. The bottomline is, the simple approach is to take the air duct off and it will fit with ease.

Update: Ozoneman found a way to install the BFG 7800GTX along with the air duct without any bend. If you want to take the time to do this, here are his instructions. Careful with that capacitor however!

Q: Should I flash to the latest BIOS?

A: No problems has been detected in the O version and it's recommended. Fixes some important issues such as Cool'n'Quiet™ and some fan tweaks.

Update: The latest BIOS is now version Y. Not enough users has tried the latest BIOS to recommend a flash immediately, however, if you are encountering an USB issue, then this is probably a worthy flash for you.

Q: How do I get Cool'n'Quiet™ working?

A: Right click on your desktop, go to properties, click on screen saver tab, click on power and from the power scheme drop down, select "minimal power management".

Q: Why does my Hard Drive only show as 127GB / 130GB when it is a lot more?

A: Prior to Windows SP1, the registry for Hard Drive LBA is not enabled and thus any drive above the 127GB / 130GB threshhold will not be detected. However, on installation of either Windows SP1 or SP2, the registry is enabled and this problem should be resolved. This should only affect users installing with an old Windows XP CD that does not come with any SP.

Q: Do you work for Shuttle or something?

A: Nope! :p

Topic of Concerns
-----------------------------

These are issues that are being monitored and has not yet been fully confirmed. However, these are posted based on problems experienced from the user.

New Windows XP Patch (Tuesday 08/09) - On installation of new release of Windows XP patches, potential conflict with existing USB2.0 and Dual Core issue causing BSOD. (Thanks poopman)

nForce Chipset Driver 6.66 - On installation of nForce chipset driver 6.66 with IDE Driver, the nForce IDE Driver fails to show up on add/remove program list.

I will update this guide as more issues arise and newer updates become available. Hope this little guide helps answer most of people's questions and problems.

Update History
------------------------

Updated: 07-24-2005

* Added Step 2(b) for all Athlon 64 users regarding drivers.
* Added to FAQ on how to enable Cool N' Quiet.

Updated: 07-25-2005

* Modified question regarding nForce IDE Driver trouble to be more general.

Updated: 07-27-2005

* Changed the BSOD message to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION to be more correct.

Updated: 08-03-2005

* Updated USB and X2 status.

Updated: 08-05-2005

* Reorganized guide to better assist users.
* More information added to Audio within Install section.
* Keyboard/Mouse step is now labelled optional.

Updated: 08-08-2005

* Updated question concerning the 7800GTX. (Thanks to Ozoneman)
* Added new question and answer regarding Hard Drive LBA.
* Added new section to further troubleshoot common problems.
* Added another two new questions regarding blank screen and lag.
* Added new question relating to uninstallation of nForce drivers.

Updated: 08-09-2005

* New step of disconnecting Media Card Reader has been added to ensure success of installation. (Thanks to Samboca)
* Added quick links for video drivers.
* Made hyperlinks prettier.
* Changed some application / hardware names to proper naming.

Updated: 08-10-2005

* Added new section listing issues of concerns.

Updated: 08-11-2005

* Updated USB2.0/X2 to the final release of BIOS version Y link.
* Updated step 9 in the installation guide regarding latest BIOS.
* Updated Q&A regarding lastest BIOS.

Updated: 08-12:2005

* Updated flash of BIOS to include steps from pure DOS.

Ald

First off GREAT guide !

I am a very early adapter of the SN25P and posted the first review links here on th is board back in 3/05. I've been away on business for a few weeks and just saw this on my return.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=873940

Some observations....
I have NEVER been able to get the Nvidia 6.53 drivers to ever work with either the network adapater/ ActiveArmor. So, I am still using the 4.60 drivers that came on my Shuttle CD... and they both work just fine. Sometimes a downgrade will do the trick also.

Also I am NOT a big fan of BIOS updating, however if you are not at least on O BIOS version both smartfan and you temp readings are broken (they show way to high) and the fans may always run. Cool N' Quiet also needs this BIOS version minimum. The native VIA sound driver also fixes "poping" and "crackling" that some people hear. I was one of the first to use this driver and it solves most of the issues your reported.

Never had to replace my SATA cables nor have I had any USB issues, so this may be a last resort.

Again, good job on the giude !

Ok, I'm up an running. Currently my little breadbox is running performance tests (crosses fingers).

Here's another question : occasionally the box will start up with a high pitched noise. What it actually seems to be is the sides of the case vibrating. I can hold them down and it goes away. Anyone else get this? Any other tips for quieting this thing down a tad without sending it into thermal destruction?

I currently have it set at noise mid.

Try to adjust your thumb screws in the back (loosen/tighten) and see if it helps the noise go away. I've had a similar problem where some of the thumb screw was too tight and made the case vibrate.

Ald

Aldoria said:
Try to adjust your thumb screws in the back (loosen/tighten) and see if it helps the noise go away. I've had a similar problem where some of the thumb screw was too tight and made the case vibrate.

Ald
hmm, perhaps some liberal use of silcone gaskets would help out ...

Back