SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

Yeah, the difference between TN and this (I think P-MVA) is incredible. BTW, what brightness/contrast/color settings do you use? I'm running it at 10 brightness/65 contrast/38,38,38 RGB. And it STILL seems kinda bright, haha. Much brighter than my Acer.

Yea I'm still getting used to that too. I set the normal to 10 bright and 50 contrast for surfing, and I have the highlight setting at 20/60 for gaming/movies. It seems to work well.

Took a flyer and bought one of these today. My 21" CRT has been dying and I was considering the Benq 241 and the HP2408 primarily.

I play some old games and aspect scaling was important to me. Although 1280x1024 is an important resolution, I thought with the built in 16:9 and 4:3 modes 1280x1024 would be the only problem child and I could run it in the window.

For $299, and with the flexible return policy at Office Max, and coupled with some of the posts here, I thought I would try it.

I have never been a big fan of LCD. I have used them at work but have always greatly preferred a CRT.

This monitor has changed my opinion. It is incredible.

First, it looks much better than any of the monitors I have tried in the stores.

Colors are vibrant and real. Sharpness is increfible without any hint of edge enhancement or other sharpness shortcuts. Tiny text is easily readable in 1920x1200 resolution on the desktop.

In terms of scaling, well Nvidia driver is taking care of that flawlessly. In fact, the driver defaulted to using its own scaling and so far it has been perfect. Full aspect scaling preserving the proper proportions, so with this monitor that has not been a big deal at all. Interestingly, in Best Buy when I tried the Nvidia driver scaling with some of the Samsungs and the Hanns G 27", it did not work, so I am surprised it works flawlessly with the Soyo.

I think that may be because there is no model specific driver for it, just the generic PnP monitor but that is just my guess.

I only really want a computer monitor. I have a 65" TV for DVD watching and Xbox 360 or other console playing so its weakness in this area is irrelevant to me. But it is a superlative computer monitor.

I play a lot of games, so I was petrified of "ghosting". I have looked really hard and seen none whether it is in the default resolution of 1920x1200 or an aspect scaled lesser resolution. None. Pkaying HG:L for a while I saw some many little details with this monitor that I have never seen before, and widescreen gaming perspective in general is much better. In short, awesome on games.

My monitor seems to have no dead pixels, nor significant backlight bleed (maybe the tiniest amount at the very bottom left, but not noticeable at all in anything other than a black screen). Speaking of blacks, they are black and not really drak grey. And that is impressive becuase it is incredibly bright. Scrreen is just glossy enough to bring out the color depth.

I am surprised at how extremely good this monitor is, especially as just a PC monitor. It has greatly exceeded my expecatations and at $299 has to be one of the best PC values I have ever seen.

Two little negatives: cable connector placement and setup is sort of brain-dead and not well done. The main blue LED is a little bright.

Other than that it is close to perfect, and the best LCD I have ever used and I have used quite a few in the business world.

If you are on the fence, run to Office Max and pick one up!

i think theres something up with these soyos. i bought two of these a week apart. the first one is great. the second one, however, seems to be calibrated much differently from factory than my first one even at the default settings after resetting them. in order for me to make them appear about the same, i had to use the following settings on the first one: 6500 color temp.. but the second one i had to set it manually at 50 50 38. if i put the second one at 6500, the colors are way off from each other. the brightness and contrast on both are at 50 for now. it also appears that second one doesn't get nearly as bright and vibrant as the first one especially when using the high light feature. if i turn the bright light feature on the first one, it looks great. on the second, it looks like shit...

also, the second one came in a different stand than the first one! it's the same basic stand design but a bit larger. the second one also sits about a few cm's higher than the first one.. weird? i'll have pics showing the differences sometime soon.

edit: it appears that for the first soyo a brightness of 50 is = a brightness of 100 on the second one.. =\

i think theres something up with these soyos. i bought two of these a week apart. the first one is great. the second one, however, seems to be calibrated much differently from factory than my first one even at the default settings after resetting them. in order for me to make them appear about the same, i had to use the following settings on the first one: 6500 color temp.. but the second one i had to set it manually at 50 50 38. if i put the second one at 6500, the colors are way off from each other. the brightness and contrast on both are at 50 for now. it also appears that second one doesn't get nearly as bright and vibrant as the first one especially when using the high light feature. if i turn the bright light feature on the first one, it looks great. on the second, it looks like shit...

also, the second one came in a different stand than the first one! it's the same basic stand design but a bit larger. the second one also sits about a few cm's higher than the first one.. weird? i'll have pics showing the differences sometime soon.

Uh oh, I hope this isn't an indication of panel switching! :eek:

Uh oh, I hope this isn't an indication of panel switching! :eek:

i know! i was impressed by the first one i bought which lead me to buying the second one. the first one had impressive image quality. it looked better than my old samsung 215tw to me.

My brothers Soyo (purchased about 2-3 weeks ago) was calibrated terribly from the factory but looked great after a few adjustments , so I would not panic yet about the panel switching in that requard . The differant stand may be of some concern , but I cant comment on that as mine has yet to arrive in the mail for comparison sake . When mine arrives from this latest batch of Soyo's on sale , I'll post my findings .

i know! i was impressed by the first one i bought which lead me to buying the second one. the first one had impressive image quality. it looked better than my old samsung 215tw to me.

What about box color? When I got mine, the salesperson though they had a stack of red boxed ones. There were none (maybe sold) and went in the back and got a blue boxed one. There is no question I got the panel everyone has been raving about, so maybe there is a new version in a red box? Would be a shame if they have switched panels. Hopefully you just got a bad one you can return, and that they are still using the same panel.

Is there anyway to tell what panel type you have?

What about box color? When I got mine, the salesperson though they had a stack of red boxed ones. There were none (maybe sold) and went in the back and got a blue boxed one. There is no question I got the panel everyone has been raving about, so maybe there is a new version in a red box? Would be a shame if they have switched panels. Hopefully you just got a bad one you can return, and that they are still using the same panel.

Is there anyway to tell what panel type you have?

they both came in the blue box. i think i'm just going to take it back and get an exchange.

Mine was perfect, and blue-box.

Definitely exchange it, more than likely just a bad panel... If you get a repeat though, maybe they're pulling a Dell, which would suck.

You guys do know how the High Light option works, right? Turning it on sets the color to 'user', and it overrides the brightness and contrast settings with those found in the High Light menu. It's best to just leave it off and tweak your settings through the normal menu. Maybe this caused the difference between the two panels?

You guys do know how the High Light option works, right? Turning it on sets the color to 'user', and it overrides the brightness and contrast settings with those found in the High Light menu. It's best to just leave it off and tweak your settings through the normal menu. Maybe this caused the difference between the two panels?

i know that... the highlight on the second monitor doesn't look anything like the first one, even with the same settings on r g b. i think the backlight on the second can't get nearly as bright as the first one.

i know that... the highlight on the second monitor doesn't look anything like the first one, even with the same settings on r g b. i think the backlight on the second can't get nearly as bright as the first one.

Gotta think you just got a bad panel and not a stealth new panel type. Will be interested to hear how the new one is.

I took some pics. I put my vid card in clone mode. I'm also running them both on DVI if your wondering. I think they appear to be the same panel type, i think the second has a backlight that is probably a dud. I looked at the manufacture date and the one with the backlight issue was manufactured on August 2007, while the good one was in July 2007.

The one on the right is the bad one. This is both of them at default settings. 50 brightness 50 contrast. and r g b of 38 38 38. If i put the brightness of the one on the right up to 100, it will match the one on the left.
soyos.jpg

soyos2.jpg

The two different stands. Slightly different in size The LCD with issues had the bigger stand...
stand_1.jpg

stand_2.jpg

The Different stands led to the heights being off, so it kind of screws up a perfect dual monitor set up also.

height.jpg

I'll try and exchange it some time later this week. :)

Thanks for the pics xdesix . Interesting .... when my monitor arrives Iam going to take note of your info as it may come in handy . ;)

Hmm, there must have been a panel revision then. Mine was manufactured on August 28, and it definitely seems like it has the wider stand. Also, the brightness setting of 10 that a few other posters reported using is much too dark to be usable here. It's seems acceptable to me, though, and I'm still pretty sure it's a P-MVA panel based on the viewing angle.

OK , you guys are making nervous now about revisions , etc .. lol .

Hey xdesix , would mind taking measurements (in inches) on both the bottom base's on and posting the measurements (for comparisons) . Seems just the width would be necessary .. please . That would be greatly appreciated. ;)

and ...Iam still waiting on my lcd delivery . :(

alright guys. i exchanged it today. so i think i just got a bad one last time. this one also has the bigger base but the image is perfect. :) interesting to note though is that the new one i just got was also manufactured in july 2007. it still sucks that the bases aren't identical for me, but i think i can live with it.

Mediaman: the brightness setting of 10 is very usable for me with both the good ones i have now. With the defective one i had, it wasn't usable at all... just food for thought...

Stereo55: I think you can cross your fingers and hope that you get a good one since now I have one with both base types that are perfect. =) keep us updated on how it turns out.

oooofffff. Not even a week, and my soyo got single a horizontal line of dead pixels going across the whole screen. It looks a lot like the lines I would have seen on my FW900, only this is MUCH more distracting. Son of a bitch. Now I've gotta go exchange and hope the next one lasts more than a week. (Hopefully 5 years or so.................) It's got me thinking that I might want to consider getting a more expensive Dell............

oooofffff. Not even a week, and my soyo got single a horizontal line of dead pixels going across the whole screen. It looks a lot like the lines I would have seen on my FW900, only this is MUCH more distracting. Son of a bitch. Now I've gotta go exchange and hope the next one lasts more than a week. (Hopefully 5 years or so.................) It's got me thinking that I might want to consider getting a more expensive Dell............

Same thing happened to mine after 2 weeks. When I returned it to the store they said they've been getting many returns on this screen for the exact same reason. I think these are built from grade 'B' panels that are cheaper but have higher risk of failure. I decided not to press my luck and just got a refund. I suggest that anyone who buys this monitor run it 24/7 during the return window to make sure it doesn't fail later down the line. Good luck!

Yea, I'm happy with mine, I pushed it hard within the first few days just to be sure it'd stay good...

I'd just keep swapping until you get the one you want, honestly once you get a good one, it's worth it.

Hmm when I play the COD4 demo is seems like some pixels are getting stuck on green at the demo exit screen. I don't see these when I play( really don't concentrate on that when I'm getting shot at). but when I use pixel buddy i see no dead pixels. In fact the one i had when I first got it home is now gone. I figured it was my video card(7900 GT) so I updated to the newest Nividia drivers which greatly helped performance but those same pixels were green when I exited. Now when I leave the game again and run pixel buddy no dead pixels. any ideas?

My second ones works great, especially calibrated. Pics look the same as my S-IPS HP LCD

p790706239-3.jpg

p610767927-3.jpg

Hmm when I play the COD4 demo is seems like some pixels are getting stuck on green at the demo exit screen. I don't see these when I play( really don't concentrate on that when I'm getting shot at). but when I use pixel buddy i see no dead pixels. In fact the one i had when I first got it home is now gone. I figured it was my video card(7900 GT) so I updated to the newest Nividia drivers which greatly helped performance but those same pixels were green when I exited. Now when I leave the game again and run pixel buddy no dead pixels. any ideas?

doesn't seem like its an issue with the LCD. i guess you can check to make sure the DVI is snuggly fit or make sure your video card isn't overheating?

doesn't seem like its an issue with the LCD. i guess you can check to make sure the DVI is snuggly fit or make sure your video card isn't overheating?

Yup false alarm....I reseated the video card and tightened the connection to the monitor and all is well.

Since mine developed a horizontal line of dead pixels, I took it into OM this morning......

That one was made in July and required contrast = 67 and brightness = 30 to get proper color.

The one they gave me was made in August, and it required almost no calibration out of the box.......and that's a good thing, cause the buttons on the side didn't work.......so I take that one back.......it really sucks, cause I think the panel actually was better, but since you can't adjust much without the buttons.......no go........

The one I'm using now is, again, a July made monitor, and it required the same brightness and contrast adjustments my first one did.

I'm kind of expecting that this one will screw up like the first one did, and at that point, I will just get my money back. It really sucks that Dell has their stuff so overpriced. The least the could do is develop a derivative of their 24-inch that is as stripped down as this Soyo. I only need one DVI port, and a power jack and I'm good to go...................

I guess. I'll try to smoke this thing out before the 14 day return window is up.

Since mine developed a horizontal line of dead pixels, I took it into OM this morning......

That one was made in July and required contrast = 67 and brightness = 30 to get proper color.

The one they gave me was made in August, and it required almost no calibration out of the box.......and that's a good thing, cause the buttons on the side didn't work.......so I take that one back.......it really sucks, cause I think the panel actually was better, but since you can't adjust much without the buttons.......no go........

The one I'm using now is, again, a July made monitor, and it required the same brightness and contrast adjustments my first one did.

I'm kind of expecting that this one will screw up like the first one did, and at that point, I will just get my money back. It really sucks that Dell has their stuff so overpriced. The least the could do is develop a derivative of their 24-inch that is as stripped down as this Soyo. I only need one DVI port, and a power jack and I'm good to go...................

I guess. I'll try to smoke this thing out before the 14 day return window is up.

You got more patience than I did. Best to run a screensaver on it 24/7 to make sure the line of dead pixels does not develop again before the 2 weeks is up. Good luck.

Forty-eight days and my second monitor has flaked out. Initially it went completely blank, but after letting it sit for about half an hour it came back on--and then it started smoking. (June 2007 model, for the record.) Okay, so it goes back to Soyo sometime next week...damn, there goes about $50...

Seems we could use a poll, or something similar, just to find out the failure rate and mode. A lot of time these forum posts are from those that have problems, not the ones that are good. Maybe it's just academic, but it seems like it has about a 50% failure rate, after 60 days.

I finally got in on this deal The first one I had, got the infamous black lines across the screen within 15 minutes. I took it back with full intention of getting a refund. The lady says "We don't have enough cash to cover it" <rolls eyes>. So I decided to take another and see how it does. Well I have had it running for about 3hrs without a hitch and everything is perfect. I am truly impressed with this monitors color and brightness.

With that said, all you guys with them failing after the 14 days have me worried. So even though this one is perfect (so far), I don't want to take the chance and have a return war every few weeks. Its going back before the 14 days are up. I guess the westinghouse 24" will be the replacement.

got mine today in the mail. that stupid black line just showed up right across the center of the screen. i cant believe this. turned on for about 3 hours. i just bought a 8800gtx and new PSU for this stupid thing.

what a piece of garbage monitor. just got home turn the monitor on and another thicker black line is running across the screen. so 5 hours of use and 2 black lines. i wouldn't even believe this so I took a picture. notice the thin line in the middle and the thicker one below it.

after posting this picture some green sparkly stuff is starting to appear between these 2 lines. i was going to try to return this tomorrow, but i guess i might return this in the next hour.

soyo.JPG

just got back from the simple return. its just a sucky drive through traffic to officemax for me. the difference i notice with this new one they just got in. It doesn't even show up on their computers as in stock. Is that the base was taped onto the foam holding the monitor in. And also the base is much bigger than the one shipped last week using UPS from officemax. I definately will not be turning this thing off for the next week.

Had mine a week. Yesterday it flickered the backlight a bit, about 4 seconds of flickering,vetical lines, as in lower light bands, weird and hard to explain.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Starting to worry given previous posts. Apart from the isolated issue, it's a lovely screen.

Well , I finally have mine setup and running . Ive had it running for the last 24hrs straight . So far everything is looking great with no dead pixels , lines , etc ; with almost no adjustments needed -minus tuning down the brightness ( to 35) . My production date is July/07 , with the possible newer wider base/stand (width of 11 3/4") .

Iam pretty happy so far as long as things stay this way (hold up) . May do some added warranty to be safe .

Does anyone know if OM will do added warranties "after" the purchase (within 14 days) ; or will I need to go to somewhere like SquareTrade (and does anyone use/have experiance with using SquareTrade) ?

*possible pics later on*

no dead pixels , lines , etc ; with almost no adjustments needed -minus tuning down the brightness ( to 35) . My production date is July/07 , with the possible newer wider base/stand (width of 11 3/4") .

Lol, mine is exactly the same. July 07, brightness down to 35 and picture is perfect.
Hope it stays that way.
Not sure about the base on mine, don't have another to compare.

the bases are very different in size. if it looks like a foot long then thats the bigger base. i want to say that if the base is taped inside the box then thats the bigger base since that was my experience. maybe thats a quick way to tell if the monitor is one that will work or not?

Lol, mine is exactly the same. July 07, brightness down to 35 and picture is perfect.
Hope it stays that way.
Not sure about the base on mine, don't have another to compare.

Back