"Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers" possibly Valve's fault?

The steam 0:1 and 0:0 is the real reason, I own an internet cafe and have 30 keys, only 14 work at the moment and thats only the ones with 0:0 in the steam id. My others are out. You all are mad about your one copy not working, I got 16 not working on a freaking sat. Today is such a great day.

markt435 said:
no...i logged in about the time most of you were having problems. seriously, i think it has more to do with individual comps rather than Steam itself. but that is just me.

it cant just be the computers because it isnt happening in one spot it is happening all over.

tranCendenZ said:
with piracy, you should always make an anti-piracy system. but if you make one that hurts the legit users more than the pirates, then you messed up plain and simple. and in this case, pirates now are playing hl2 fine cracked without steam while legit users are locked out.

It didn't occurr to me until you posted it...but you're absolutely 100% correct. If you have pirated hl2, it is likely that this problem with Steam is not effecting you at all. In the meantime many legitimate users, on the other hand, are completely screwed.

I installed everything and created an account. I am trying to get the single player game started but its very slowly "decrypting steam files." Am I going to have to go through this every time I want to play single player?

WookieRookie said:
I installed everything and created an account. I am trying to get the single player game started but its very slowly "decrypting steam files." Am I going to have to go through this every time I want to play single player?

No just the first time.

However every time you play single player, the steam client will launch, connect to the net, then start HL2.

Well, it has made the front page of Slashdot.

KrunchTime writes "The Steam network seems to be having some problems tonight. This is not good new for fans of counter-strike, day of defeat and other half-life mods. Some people seem to be able to log on fine while others, like me :(, cannot connect at all. The steam forums were filling up with invective when I was last able to get on. The forums now seem to have imploded under the strain of complaints. The question that was being asked most is why there isn't more redundancy on the log-in side of steam. They say that if one of the master servers goes down that the accounts held there become unavailable immediately. The other big problem is that while the Steam network is down even the offline games are unplayable. There was no sign of responses from Valve staff or forum moderators."

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/01/30/0323220.shtml?tid=204&tid=128&tid=10

A couple of friends and I had a small LAN today and tried to play HL2, but could not log on to the STEAMing pile servers after repeatedly trying all day. So, suffice it to say we did not play HL2. At this time (3:10 am), I still cannot log onto Steam.
This is not the first time MY game, for which I payed $54 has amounted to nothing more than a really expensive set of shiny coasters.
Not another penny of my money will go into the pockets of anyone associated with Valve/STEAMing pile.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

I GOT MINE BACK I AM SOOOO FREAKING HAPPY although my friend thinks im a retard

I don't play any Steam based games but i just find the idea of it stupidly amusing. They implemented the whole online activation thing to combat piracy, but HL2 full rip was available 2 days after it was released. Companies need to learn that any anti-piracy system will be beaten, no matter what it is.

The idea of the WON servers was really good, cause it was only needed for online play and quick, but this is stupid. They created something that rewards piracy and annoys people who buy the game, something to be said about anti-piracy measures eh? The best anti-piracy is just annoying sectors on the cd which stop it from being burnt in most applications (farcry) and unique keys. Anything more than that is just a waste of money and is too complicated and frustrating to implement IMO.

You people act like this is so much worse than when WON were to go down. I still remember when WON would go down 3-4 times a month, totalling several days. Downtime is nothing new to anyone, anywhere. Google goes down, Microsoft goes down, Steam goes down, [H] goes down. Don't act like it's the end of the world.

WON wasn't any better than Steam. You don't have to be online in order to play single player, just hit the cancel button when "Attempting to connect to [email protected]"

I must have misssed these times WON was going down. I never had a problem connecting with WON authentication servers. SInce Steam has been released there has been more downtime for users than ever in the history of WON.

sweet..i dont feel so bad now...i did a format..installed steam...and im getting the same error now..never had it untill now...well..its just the excuse i need to finally be done with valve..and this pos program...cs sux..steams a joke..and dod:s is delayed untill the release of duke nukem forever( :p)...so its on to a new game

dod:s was the only reason I gave Valve 10 extra dollars and now about 3 1/2 months later, the game is still not out and there is not ETA on it. :( :(

fromage said:
You people act like this is so much worse than when WON were to go down. I still remember when WON would go down 3-4 times a month, totalling several days. Downtime is nothing new to anyone, anywhere. Google goes down, Microsoft goes down, Steam goes down, [H] goes down. Don't act like it's the end of the world.

WON wasn't any better than Steam. You don't have to be online in order to play single player, just hit the cancel button when "Attempting to connect to [email protected]"
Well last I checked I didn't buy anything from Google, Microsoft, or [H]. Sure, when free services go down no one gives a shit. But when people want to play a game they paid for, and they can't because some other server is down, people get pissed, and they have every right to be. Steam simply sucks. Why should a single player game be reliant on some external server to be online?

Steam isn't about anti-piracy. There are plenty of other, better, less invasive options out there. Steam is about Valve having the final say on who can and who cannot play their games, even after you buy it.

kevin1211 said:
dont blame steam for implementing a system to combat piracy...if anything, blame the pirates for stealing the games....

For the 59374558192th time, steam was cracked before HL2 even came out, just ask the illegal CS:S players :p Frankly, i was surprised it actually took them an entire two days to crack HL2 :rolleyes:

Maybe some hacker got fed up with Valve and decided to attack the servers :confused:

DiNkMe said:
The steam 0:1 and 0:0 is the real reason, I own an internet cafe and have 30 keys, only 14 work at the moment and thats only the ones with 0:0 in the steam id. My others are out. You all are mad about your one copy not working, I got 16 not working on a freaking sat. Today is such a great day.

Man, I know it's a moot point know, but *OUCH*- you seriously get some sympathy. I imagine 30 keys aren't cheap, and look what it got you. The good news is, Battlefield 2 will be out soon- after yesterday I'm REALLY looking forward to it- all EA requires is registration for online play.

Fortunately it only affects Valve games. The bad part is these are the most popular online games out. I'll be the first to agree, when Steam works, it works good. WHen it doesnt, man does it suck.

It's back up...been up for a while

Both my 0:0 and 0:1 are up atleast working for the past 4-5 hours.

cuemasterfl said:
Go do some laundry or something instead.

Yup, that really helps our game café owner here that probably lost a bunch of money from not having any steam-based games on half his computers in what's probably prime time.

....and Steam isn't the only thing that has to run at an internet cafe. Some of you guys seriously act like its the end of the world because Steam doesn't work for a few hours. Dude...if you run an internet cafe, have some games to fall back on. Bust out the Starcraft cds and start a one day tournament.

markt435 said:
....and Steam isn't the only thing that has to run at an internet cafe. Some of you guys seriously act like its the end of the world because Steam doesn't work for a few hours. Dude...if you run an internet cafe, have some games to fall back on. Bust out the Starcraft cds and start a one day tournament.
However, steam is the only one dependent on some external server in order for this game to run (with the exception of MMOs). Also, not sure if you know this but when you run an internet cafe, you don't get to tell your customers what to play. Internet cafes always have more than one game on them anyways.

Steam has not been working for me for about 3 weeks now. I can log in but when I try to connect to CS or CS:S it fails. I can play HL2 however. I tried uninstall and reinstall, what gives :mad:

fromage said:

Google goes down, nobody bitches because nobody paid for the services.
Microsoft goes down, nobody bitches because you can still use your Microsoft products.
[H] goes down, a few bitch who paid for general mayhem, others bitch because it's their only source of interaction with other people, but for the most people don't bitch because they didn't pay for it.

Steam goes down, people bitch because they can't play something they paid for.

Do you see the difference?

obs said:
However, steam is the only one dependent on some external server in order for this game to run (with the exception of MMOs).

...and it doesn't have to be, which is why people are irritated when a game is down that didn't have to be- what happened Saturday for many was completely avoidable if Steam was structured differently. That's why people were/are irritated- this whole thing was/is completely avoidable, didn't have to happen.

kpedge said:
...and it doesn't have to be, which is why people are irritated when a game is down that didn't have to be- what happened Saturday for many was completely avoidable if Steam was structured differently. That's why people were/are irritated- this whole thing was/is completely avoidable, didn't have to happen.

you're partially right. this whole thing is completely avoidable. do research before you buy a product, and you could avoid the headaches you get altogether. while you have this power, you really have no place to say how they should run their company. end of story

Yea, I have about 30 some odd games on all machines, but all my machines are athlon 64s 2800+, 1 gig of ram, 6800 gts. Source sells itself and thats all people want to play. It sucks when I got a waiting line of about 20 all day, and they all come play to source. My store was half empty saturday evening because of this. It's amazing how much people will only play cs:s. My other games are just a distraction for when they get bored of source. Call of duty United Offensive is probably our next biggest game. http://www.dinkscafe.com

doh-nut said:
you're partially right. this whole thing is completely avoidable. do research before you buy a product, and you could avoid the headaches you get altogether. while you have this power, you really have no place to say how they should run their company. end of story

I do have a right to interact with that company and express my opinion. That's the great thing about America, and why we're not a communist nation- because we have the right to interact with and influence in a free market.

That's why we're not still drinking "New Coke", why Pontiac changed its logo in the early 80's, why McDonalds began selling chicken products, and why the Ford Model A came in different colors after earlier Henry Ford insisted people can only have the Model T in black. Consumers of a product have every right to influence any company in a free market- that's why "marketing" in any MBA program (I wonder if I'm talking from experience here?) uses a two way model instead of a one way model. That's because consumers get to do more that "shut up and take it". THAT'S the end of the story.

DiNkMe said:
Yea, I have about 30 some odd games on all machines, but all my machines are athlon 64s 2800+, 1 gig of ram, 6800 gts. Source sells itself and thats all people want to play. It sucks when I got a waiting line of about 20 all day, and they all come play to source. My store was half empty saturday evening because of this. It's amazing how much people will only play cs:s. My other games are just a distraction for when they get bored of source. Call of duty United Offensive is probably our next biggest game. http://www.dinkscafe.com

Sounds like a good cafe with great rigs. Hopefully when your customers commented on their situation you didn't say "you have no right to comment on how I run my shop. End of story." Somehow I think you might be out of business by next weekend. (pardon the sarcasm, DM)

kpedge said:
I do have a right to interact with that company and express my opinion. That's the great thing about America, and why we're not a communist nation- because we have the right to interact with and influence in a free market.

That's why we're not still drinking "New Coke",.
*snip*

While all of this is true, the reason is they all saw their sales drop. Valve however did not see a sales drop. So why change if there are still sales? Before anyone thinks about getting support or being able to complain about Steam, read the Steam subscriber agreement. Specifically the part that reads:
B. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S). YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK WITH RESPECT TO THE PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS OF THE STEAM SOFTWARE IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR HARDWARE.

Kckazdude said:
*snip*

While all of this is true, the reason is they all saw their sales drop. Valve however did not see a sales drop. So why change if there are still sales? Before anyone thinks about getting support or being able to complain about Steam, read the Steam subscriber agreement. Specifically the part that reads:
B. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S). YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK WITH RESPECT TO THE PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS OF THE STEAM SOFTWARE IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR HARDWARE.
Don't forgot this part of the agreement:
You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise share or transfer your Account.
Guess what, people don't give a shit if steam is working or not. People want their GAME to work. The problem is that these are one in the same. Even in "offline mode" which really isn't offline.

obs said:
Don't forgot this part of the agreement:

Guess what, people don't give a shit if steam is working or not. People want their GAME to work. The problem is that these are one in the same. Even in "offline mode" which really isn't offline.

Right, and my point has been that once you register, you really shouldn't have to be dependent on the Steam servers to play. Downtime wouldn't be an issue if it were a validation/registration only model. I think that's why generally the WoW players have been possibly more understanding of the server issue- because there's a reason for WoW to need those servers- CS:S is hardly a MMO. We "need" Steam to play about as much as a fish needs a bicycle.

Kckazdude, you're right, and you made your point well- doesn't mean I have to like the situation, even after both of my Steam accounts work fine.

Putting something in a ToS doesn't make it legal. If I develop software and bury "I reserve the right to slap your girlfriend with my man-stick." in there, that doesn't mean I can do it without recrimination.

Shy 7th said:
Its probably not your reinstallation that did it. Im getting the message too. Steam has worked flawlessly for me since it came out with CS1.6. This is the first time I have ever seen steam not work for me.

Whatever. Its just a game. It'll give me an excuse to put down my mouse and get off my ass.

I downloaded it the first week it came out. Wow it used to be a piece of shit. Guess you missed that era.

WickedAngel said:
Putting something in a ToS doesn't make it legal. If I develop software and bury "I reserve the right to slap your girlfriend with my man-stick." in there, that doesn't mean I can do it without recrimination.

Oh crap, I just found that exact phrase in the TOS for my copy of Quickbooks. :D

steam is cool except it pisses me off because it is a resource hog...much more than just a standalone game is. It is not a big deal except I want to be able to watch movies in the background and it is too skippy...even with VLC player

kpedge said:

That's why we're not still drinking "New Coke", why Pontiac changed its logo in the early 80's, why McDonalds began selling chicken products, and why the Ford Model A came in different colors after earlier Henry Ford insisted people can only have the Model T in black. Consumers of a product have every right to influence any company in a free market- that's why "marketing" in any MBA program (I wonder if I'm talking from experience here?) uses a two way model instead of a one way model. That's because consumers get to do more that "shut up and take it". THAT'S the end of the story.

you have the right attitude, but for the wrong occasion. telling valve they don't need to use steam with their games, and to get rid of it is not going to do anything. theres a difference between protesting something that can be fixed, and protesting an entire platform that cannot simply just be taken away. cmon now, use your brain.

the best thing you can do is protest what steam does and let them know in hopes that they fix it, but if you are wanting them to get rid of it entirely, not going to happen. like i said, you can't tell them how to run their whole show.

Steam are having problems at the moment their cables have snapped and are having techniqal difficulties. Don't worry its not just you thats having problems it's near enough everyone , it will be fixed shortly. Why are you all getting angry..? :confused: they are trying their best to fix the problem but it just means you can't play your games for a little while... no need for anger???
Falcoor

Hello , Steam are having problems at the moment and are having techniqal difficulties , this is due to their cables snapping and having connection problems , they are trying their best to fix the problem. It is not just you that is having problems it is nearly enough everyone. There is no need to get angry? :confused: they are trying there best to fix the problem , what more can they do? It just means that you will not be able to play your game for a period of time. Thanks
Falcoorundefinedundefined

Back