"Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers" possibly Valve's fault?

I was just about to post a new thread, and this was the first one in games forum!

Anyways, I cant log into steam either. Does anyone know how long this has been happening?

Well, it appears there is a huge power-outage in seattle, which is why their servers are down. Once power gets restored, we can all go on living.

steam forums said:
There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue.

Please check this Forum or Steam News for further updates.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516341

As HighwayAssassins said, it was due to a storm today, yet this post is almost 2 years old :-/

there was a storm

There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue.

edit: i didn't see this had already been posted, i was waiting for steam forums to load and i didn't refresh this page

Mr. Miyagi said:
As HighwayAssassins said, it was due to a storm today, yet this post is almost 2 years old :-/
the thread is old, but the posts on this page are new. (because its happening right now, again ;))

You can always plant a tree, stroll in a meadow or ritualistically cut your arms off.

Not sure about the last suggestion myself, though the former two are great.

phide said:
You can always plant a tree, stroll in a meadow or ritualistically cut your arms off.

you know...I once did have fun away from my computer. I dont want to do it again any time soon though...

phide said:

Planting a tree takes what max an hour or so and not like 12+ hrs and so does a stroll in a garden and a park.

Ah Im having problems logging in as well. My first thought was to check the H forums for info. I should have linked it to the storm, a supervisor of mine had to go home cause his basement was flooding and there was no power in Washington last night, and we briefly lost power here in northern Portland too.

Is there a solution to this or do we just wait?? My brothers are driving me crazy to get on HL2 and play lol.

Malaci said:
Is there a solution to this or do we just wait?? My brothers are driving me crazy to get on HL2 and play lol.

The solution is for the storm to die down and the power company to repair the breaks.

Ohh I see. Ok thanks now I got them to STFU. But I am still confused about one thing...One of my accounts work but the other one dosent. The other computer in the other room will login and play on servers but my main one wont.Why is this?

Malaci said:
Ohh I see. Ok thanks now I got them to STFU. But I am still confused about one thing...One of my accounts work but the other one dosent. The other computer in the other room will login and play on servers but my main one wont.Why is this?

I could speculate that they have clusters of servers in different locations and for some reason not all logins are being routed correctly? I dunno...

Idk i just hope its back up soon.Cause im bored,I guess il just get them to play a board game... :rolleyes: Fun...

It could be the servers that were affected by the blackout are currently being restored or there was data corruption which, they would be restoring the data from backups. Either way, Im sure they are taking care of it. Don't worry guys its not the end of the world, hell wont freeze over, and bush wont be president for 4 terms.

if we didnt create backups for our games will they be lost because of this? ive been home since 3:14 and its a pain waiting for them to fix this...

might not be working til saturday seeing as they said 50,000 still wont have power saturday.

NorCal is still down since 8am this morning when i got that weird steam pop up that never happens.

At least i have my 0:1337 id working :D:D

Malaci said:
Idk i just hope its back up soon.Cause im bored,I guess il just get them to play a board game... :rolleyes: Fun...
lucky for me i realize theres more to life then steam(prolly why i unstalled it)..but all is good...i have a few more games i can play
My+Games.JPG

After spending a few hours tweaking settings trying to find out why the heck steam won't work, I find this thread and realize its thier fault (as always)....bah... Steam sux...

Steam does suck when you have dialup (I live in the boonies, no broadband here) The constant updates that take 20min to download get annoying really quick....

Artanis said:
Steam does suck when you have dialup (I live in the boonies, no broadband here) The constant updates that take 20min to download get annoying really quick....

You can disable automatic updates for games.

I don't understand why they don't have servers for this in different locations across the country to minimize something like this happening.. like they can't afford to displace servers....

JacobC1983 said:
I don't understand why they don't have servers for this in different locations across the country to minimize something like this happening.. like they can't afford to displace servers....

They probably cant. That would cost so much more. They would need to pay for the building, pay for new servers, pay for maintence on servers, pay for a maintence team and employees in the building. Add that to headquarters in Washington and im sure it adds up alot. Sure Valve has money but I dont think there that rich.

Oh yeah and they would have to pay for a high speed connection over there to.

Back