Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player $99 @ Walmart Friday 8AM + list $15 HD movies + 5 free HD

no 1080p output :(

Your TV, given it has a decent interlacer will deinterlace into progressive format.

There's no difference between this, and one that outputs in 1080p, as long as your TV can properly deinterlace

Why don't you have the decency to have maturity and not PUT ME DOWN like that?

I meant it's not worth me upgrading from upconversion DVD to HD-DVD if I can't do 1080p... since I have a 1080p LCD... got it?

Man, why are some ppl so damn immature for no GOOD reason?? Sad, sad...

Wrong, but it's not my job to make you understand that it deinterlaces into 1080p on almost any 1080p TV.

Why don't you have the decency to have maturity and not PUT ME DOWN like that?

I meant it's not worth me upgrading from upconversion DVD to HD-DVD if I can't do 1080p... since I have a 1080p LCD... got it?

Man, why are some ppl so damn immature for no GOOD reason?? Sad, sad...

Good luck playing the HD-DVD media on your DVD player.

excellent news! I'm sooo going to have Best Buy credit me back the $225 I just paid for one of these on 10/6/07. I'm already gonna be there tomorrow to pick up a new PS3 anyhow!!! SCORE!

wow I think I just found my familys christmas gift. My Walmart is 24/7, do you think I can show up at midnight and be able to get it?

wow I think I just found my familys christmas gift. My Walmart is 24/7, do you think I can show up at midnight and be able to get it?

I doubt it. If this SKU is anything like the Wii sku was the register won't allow it to be sold before 8am.

Which would make sense, as I went to two different walmarts last night and both had stock but didn't have it on the floor and wouldn't sell it to me. Kept telling me that they had to save it for the ad on Friday.

My CC close to me is stupid and I shouldn't have a problem PM'ing when they open.

No idea, but this is burning hot for anyone that gets it. It'll be interesting to see how many of these sub $100 HD player deals there are this year.

The website says "This Friday at 8am" so I'm guessing no special price until then...

correct

and to add this is NOT a 1 day sale. This is a sale until ALL players are gone gone gone.

1080i is deinterlaced to 1080p if you are luky. Otherwise 720p for the lot of folks that bought HDTV early on.

correct

and to add this is NOT a 1 day sale. This is a sale until ALL players are gone gone gone.

1080i is deinterlaced to 1080p if you are luky. Otherwise 720p for the lot of folks that bought HDTV early on.

My money has it that the players will be sold in one day... all of them. At this price, these things are going to dissapear fast.

Damn, they are already sold out of them. Walmart here I come for my dad's christmas present!

Anyone know anything about that Sanyo HDTV? I'm looking for a TV but don't know if i should get a 720p one cuz it's cheaper or a 1080p. $1000 is my budget =(

depends on the size and how far away you will be sitting.

Regardless of the size. If you will be sitting 1.5 times the size of the tv (example, if the tv is 40 inches and you are sitting 60 inches away.) then the 720p tv will work and you will be hard pressed to see a discernable difference between a 720p tv and a 1080p tv at the same viewing distance.

I bought one at CC last night for $197, I wonder if they will PM me? Going to try tonight...

depends on the size and how far away you will be sitting.

Regardless of the size. If you will be sitting 1.5 times the size of the tv (example, if the tv is 40 inches and you are sitting 60 inches away.) then the 720p tv will work and you will be hard pressed to see a discernable difference between a 720p tv and a 1080p tv at the same viewing distance.

So only if i sat < 1.5 x TV Screen Size would I see the difference, correct?

Also remember that some people are more or less sensitive to resolution. With my glasses on, I can clearly see the difference from a bit farther away than the average. Without them on, it could be 640x480 and I wouldn't notice ;)

Here is a chart showing TV size vs. viewing distance and when you can discern 720 vs. 1080.

http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png

resolution_chart.png

I bought one at CC last night for $197, I wonder if they will PM me? Going to try tonight...

Why would you go tonight when Wal-mart is not even selling it yet? Wal-mart sale starts at 8AM, but Circuit City opens at 10AM. The only way Circuit City will price match is if your local Wal-mart still has the player in-stock at 10AM. They will call in to Wal-mart to confirm that they have it in-stock.

Here is a chart showing TV size vs. viewing distance and when you can discern 720 vs. 1080.

http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png

resolution_chart.png

that is an AWESOME tool!!! omg I'm saving that onto my file-server so i can show all my family/friends when they ask... i keep telling them you don't need a 1080p resolution unless you're going for something 42" plus, and even then it's not much better for someone over 720p if you're sitting 10-15' away. my living room you can sit up to about 20' away, and unless we had a huge screen my eyes can't tell the diff between 720 and 1080.

If you print the screen from the Best Buy website Cicuit City will match the price. I just did it since Best Buy didn't have any in stock I went right over to CC and it was a done deal. Sweet!!!!

If you print the screen from the Best Buy website Cicuit City will match the price. I just did it since Best Buy didn't have any in stock I went right over to CC and it was a done deal. Sweet!!!!

could you send me a copy through pm?

Uh, so in one sentence you are bagging on people who pay a lot for a DVI cable, yet in the previous you are saying you get better quality sound on hdmi rather than optical? *shakes head*

Re-read my comment and I appoligize if I'm unclear. With HDMI you will recieve higher defintition (HD Master audio/Uncompressed Audio I believe on some nicer HD-DVDs) compared to optical (<= Compressed Dolby Digital and DTS), so without an HDMI receiver your sound will be comparable to DVD. However even without HDMI you can still recieve a great picture via a cheap DVI cable and cheap optical (also <8$) or coax cable is what I was getting at.
My remark to cost was regarding one poster being dissapointed that it does not have 1080P. My sarcastic comment was focused that this is 99$, no other next gen player even comes close to this price.
But to add to your comment I do believe it's a waste to purchase high end DVI cables. These are transferring digital signals (0 or 1). Claiming you get better picture from a monter DVI cable compare to an OEM cable, is non-sense.

Your right. Expecting me to pay 99$ for a HD DVD Player that does not do 1080P is unacceptable :rolleyes:
I purchased the same unit for 250 and just for the upscaling it kicks some serious but. I had a DVI Foroudja DVD Upscaler and this unit blows it away. Just like with DVDs, theres good and bad transfers on HD DVDs. Chronicles of Ridick looks awesome at 1080i compared to the DVD version. Only drawback is that I don't have a HDMI receiver so I'm not hearing the improved sound (using the optical cable). Don't let the HDMI out scare you if you have a DVI TV. I use a HDMI-DVI cable picked up at monoprice for 8$ and the picture looks great.
Tempted to go Friday to pick up another for the master bedroom.

You would need a HD audio reciever as well and high end speakers. I doubt you would notice much difference in audio otherwise. I have been argusing this for a while lol. Everyone says that the problem is you will still get incorrect data at the other end using a cheap cables. Well maybe so, maybe not, but I think 99% of the time it must be in the peoples heads. I buy the highend cables from monoprice anyways because they are cheap :)

I hate that chart. So basicaly sitting on my bed I should not be abel to tell a difference in regular 480p and 720p and 1080p on my 37" 1080p westinghouse. Well I dont have any true 1080p content to test but I can see a differnece between 480p 720p and 1080i at 15 feet back. Its quite obvious actualy.......

nicepun can you pm me the pic/screenshot also? I didn't think to take on earlier when i saw it..

There should be some difference just like there is a difference between a 480p DVD player and one that only does 480i. Even if the TV is de-interlacing the sigal I would imagine fast motion blur would be much greater on 1080i source since there is only data being sent for 1/2 the screen at a time.

There should be some difference just like there is a difference between a 480p DVD player and one that only does 480i. Even if the TV is de-interlacing the sigal I would imagine fast motion blur would be much greater on 1080i source since there is only data being sent for 1/2 the screen at a time.

Yes, but 1080i refreshes 60 times a second, albeit half the screen each refresh, while 1080p is 30 times a second. Just combine the adjacent refreshes and you're golden.

That would be true if we were comparing 1080i@60fps and 1080p@60fps sources. But remember TV and movies are filmed at 24fps. Therefore 1080i in this case isn't displaying half the data because the source is only 24fps to start with.

Hmmm... Interesting development here;

I just called my local Wal-Mart to see how many of these they're going to have in stock tomorrow. The guy I talked to in electronics had already printed the sign and whatnot for the display and he told me that the price is definitely $198.87, not $98.87 and that if the website is showing that it'll probably be corrected before the sale begins tomorrow.

If you have a 1080p television already, the television will deinterlace the signal back to 1080p without a quality degradation, assuming you have a half way decent 1080p television that can deinterlace properly.

But this deal is hottttttttttttttt! I'm in for one. w00000t!

Look like the format war is getting closer and closer to being over.

Are you sure that there is no quality drop as long as the TV does a good job of deinterlacing?

Back