Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player $99 @ Walmart Friday 8AM + list $15 HD movies + 5 free HD

While watching Blood Diamond HDDVD on this player I get a distortion in the middle of my screen. It resembles that of a TRACKING issue with old VCR's. Anyone know what this could be? I have a Full HD 1080P Samsung TV. I am using component cables to my audio reciever and then to my tv. Thanks.

Here in Eastern Oregon, this afternoon, I picked one up. I bought the second one. Still 10 left. :) Not too many tech saavy people around here! :)

Awesome deal. With the 5 free movies, the player ends up being free with purchase of 5 movies.... Basically! :)

YAY! Early XMas present.

While watching Blood Diamond HDDVD on this player I get a distortion in the middle of my screen. It resembles that of a TRACKING issue with old VCR's. Anyone know what this could be? I have a Full HD 1080P Samsung TV. I am using component cables to my audio reciever and then to my tv. Thanks.

have you updated your firmware? do so if not.

thanks OP,

just got back from BB and got PM on some movies.

Alexander
Full Metal Jacket (remastered) watching now and looks great IMO
Last Samarai
Italian Job

all 14.96!

Here in Eastern Oregon, this afternoon, I picked one up. I bought the second one. Still 10 left. :) Not too many tech saavy people around here! :)

Awesome deal. With the 5 free movies, the player ends up being free with purchase of 5 movies.... Basically! :)

YAY! Early XMas present.

did you get the 2 movies< 34.99? dont know if they are still doing that one.

thanks OP,

just got back from BB and got PM on some movies.

Alexander
Full Metal Jacket (remastered) watching now and looks great IMO
Last Samarai
Italian Job

all 14.96!

You could have gotten Full Metal Jacket and Italian Job for free with the 5 free dvd offer.

You could have gotten Full Metal Jacket and Italian Job for free with the 5 free dvd offer.

picked Aeon Flux and Swordfish instead, but just mailed last week, I dont think the FMJ with the mail in is the remastered.

Picked one of these up after work. They still had 3 players left. :D

They still had about a dozen laptops left at the store I went to.
Guess I need to sign up for Netflix or Blockbuster now so I can get HD movies.

For the hd-a2, i think upconverting only occurs through hdmi. at least thats what the specs say.

Important note on upconverting over component:

Backed up dvd's will upconvert over component as the DRM has been removed. This is confirmed over at AVSforums, etc.

Obviously not so with commercial dvd's.

My local wal-mart has about 10 left. They just put them on sale yesterday or today. They had them for $185 on Friday thanks to whatever reason they could not sell them for lower in Oklahoma.

I had to spend a bit more out of my own pocket during the weekend. I guess I might pick one up in the next couple of days when I find out for sure if work is going to reimburse me for everything or not.

My local wal-mart has about 10 left. They just put them on sale yesterday or today. They had them for $185 on Friday thanks to whatever reason they could not sell them for lower in Oklahoma.

I had to spend a bit more out of my own pocket during the weekend. I guess I might pick one up in the next couple of days when I find out for sure if work is going to reimburse me for everything or not.

Dude. What city are you in and at what Wal-Mart did you see these? I'm in south Tulsa.

:) I'll let that information out after I buy one. It's a bit too far of a drive from Tulsa for one. ;)

Muskogee had a couple marked down when I went through there on my way to work over the weekend. I stopped to get snacks but didn't have the time or room to tote one around all weekend.

Those were all HD-A2C models, the ones with the free HDMI cable. You might want to give them a call because they had a bunch left. Also try a couple of those Wal-Marts on the highway that runs south to I-40, can't ever remember its name but passes by a lot of smaller towns.

You sure it was Muskogee? Not seeing a store there.

Anyways... ugh. I don't think I'm up for a drive to the boonies just for a DVD player. Rednecks scare the shit out of me.

I got two, but I think I might just return the second instead of selling it like I had intended.

Anyways... ugh. I don't think I'm up for a drive to the boonies just for a DVD player. Rednecks scare the shit out of me.

then what the hell are you doing in Oklahoma :)

then what the hell are you doing in Oklahoma :)

That was my thought as well. :)

Too%20much%20alcohol.JPG

Tennessee fan with one too many drinks in her system. :eek:

Yeah, I know...

Was brought here when I was younger. Planning my escape as we speak.

WooT caught me an unopened return for the sale price...what a time for the old DVD to die!

I need someone to do me a favor. I picked up one of these on sale Friday, but like a dumbass I've misplaced the receipt. the rebate form says it can be a copy of the receipt, can someone scan one and send it to me in a PM. I'd like to take advantage of the five free movies. I case you are wondering, I can prove I have one since I have the UPC from the box.

I was waiting for a deal like this to come along and was happy to find out wal-mart had them for $99.

I got up at 7:30 AM (I have a wal-mart 5 minutes away) took my time and when I was heading out the door the girlfriend called. Her car broke down and she needed a ride to work.

I left to the closest Wal-Mart around her job and as I walked up to the Electronics a lady had the last 2 HD-DVD's and the person working there had one for herself. Left for the other one (by my house) and there was none there either. Got there 45 minutes too late. :mad:

Suffes to say I was sad. :(

Oh well went to Best Buy and they had the HD-A3 for $200 with the 300 and Bourne Identity for free. :D Plus of course the 5 free movies.

I was waiting for a deal like this to come along and was happy to find out wal-mart had them for $99.

I got up at 7:30 AM (I have a wal-mart 5 minutes away) took my time and when I was heading out the door the girlfriend called. Her car broke down and she needed a ride to work.

I left to the closest Wal-Mart around her job and as I walked up to the Electronics a lady had the last 2 HD-DVD's and the person working there had one for herself. Left for the other one (by my house) and there was none there either. Got there 45 minutes too late. :mad:

Suffes to say I was sad. :(

Oh well went to Best Buy and they had the HD-A3 for $200 with the 300 and Bourne Identity for free. :D Plus of course the 5 free movies.

Today? I just got back from Best Buy, and the HD-A3 was back up to $299.

does anyone know if there is anywhere i can still nail the A2 for $99? I know I'm late, but tonight is the only chance I have!! Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Yeah it was in Muskogee. Yes there are a lot of rednecks there. I'm happy I'm not there anymore.

well i'm in a little quagmire...

i ordered the A2 on the day that bestbuyforbusiness had them on sale. well, i finally got an update in my email showing that they upgraded it to the A3 model for the same price.

the day after i ordered it, i went out and bought the A3 at bestbuy for $200 and picked up the movies along with it for free.

i'm wondering if i'll be able to return this new boxed a3 that is being shipped, back to best buy store with my old reciept to get the $200 back? only thing that concerns me is the 2 movies, which i DESERVE since i didnt get them with the online order.

i guess i'm the only one that noticed his raging fore arms??

How can you all not notice that flaming orange shirt. :p

Getting back on topic, one of my friends bought the $99 WM HD DVD player. He didn't know about the 5 free mail-in movies, so I sent him the PDF and now he's thrilled.

I got the A2 from the bestbuyforbusiness website as well, I haven't received the updated e-mail yet but I logged in and see it changed to the A3 as well. I wonder if I can take in my reciept and PM for those 3 DVDs. If I can't I won't complain because I'm still getting the A3 for $115 shipped, but it would be nice.

well i'm in a little quagmire...

i ordered the A2 on the day that bestbuyforbusiness had them on sale. well, i finally got an update in my email showing that they upgraded it to the A3 model for the same price.

the day after i ordered it, i went out and bought the A3 at bestbuy for $200 and picked up the movies along with it for free.

i'm wondering if i'll be able to return this new boxed a3 that is being shipped, back to best buy store with my old reciept to get the $200 back? only thing that concerns me is the 2 movies, which i DESERVE since i didnt get them with the online order.

eBay? Sell it here on the [H]? I think the A3 went back up to $300, so you might be able to make a profit.

Anyone know what the USB ports on the front of this player are used for?

Did a little googling:

Other aspects of the HD-A2's design are a mixed bag. The setup menus are lovely to look at and easy to figure out. The front panel is well laid out, with a flap that hides most of the clearly labeled buttons and two specialized USB ports (labeled "Extension" ports"). The ports' function, according to Toshiba, is to add extra storage for implementing features such as the ability to download supplemental content. As yet, however, no titles use them.

Sounds like it could be modded for an external hard drive in the future. *shifty eyes*

Back