Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player $99 @ Walmart Friday 8AM + list $15 HD movies + 5 free HD

None you eyes would notice as long as you have a half way decent 1080p TV.

+1

Why do people debate this?

I wear eye glasses on a two year old prescription. I'm NOT going to tell the difference.

if it's a decent tv it won't deinterlace but perform an inverse telecine. Almost the only true interlaced NTSC/ATSC would be sports; most of it is just telecined. So depending on how the player does it and if your tv will do standard pulldown (usually 3:2) it can be lossless.

from http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/faq.html#telecine (there are tons of places to find telecine info this seemed to be the shortest of the ones a quick search found):
Please, do not think that Telecine is exactly the same as normal Interlacing. Yes, both are very similar at first sight but are not 100% the same thing. For example, content pulled down to 29.97 fps is still fundamentally Progressive, it is just represented in an Interlaced manner. With truly Interlaced video, each field (where two fields comprise a frame) represents two discrete moments in time. The same is not true of Telecined content, except for two out of every five frames, but that's only an artificial characteristic of the process, which can be losslessly reversed.

Well just the algorithm it uses to deinterlace brings it back to 1080p if you have a 1080p native television. It does not make a difference. If you are doing pulldown algorithms, it duplicates necessary frames and plays them at the proper rate, exactly emulating what you would normally see in a native source. You don't 'lose' data or anything of the sort. These televisions and players have dedicated hardware based video processing units. It is much different than the crap you get with software based pc algorithms or older generation tv's.

Hmmm... Interesting development here;

I just called my local Wal-Mart to see how many of these they're going to have in stock tomorrow. The guy I talked to in electronics had already printed the sign and whatnot for the display and he told me that the price is definitely $198.87, not $98.87 and that if the website is showing that it'll probably be corrected before the sale begins tomorrow.

I would take the web page over the local guy any day. I have a relative (department manager) that's an employee working tonight and asked him to put one aside. They informed me they are no longer able to do so and in many cases thet are not even communicated that a sale is going on unless they pick up the add that morning, or ring up the first item to also prevent this from occuring.
He didn't even hear of the sale when I asked him this favor this morning. All he knew was that he was assigned to stock and display these units that came in today/evening prior to tomorrow morning.

Hmmm... Interesting development here;

I just called my local Wal-Mart to see how many of these they're going to have in stock tomorrow. The guy I talked to in electronics had already printed the sign and whatnot for the display and he told me that the price is definitely $198.87, not $98.87 and that if the website is showing that it'll probably be corrected before the sale begins tomorrow.

I would think that they will still have to honor it if you saw and have proof it was listed at $98. Its all over the internet major news sites, I think if this was an error Walmart would of corrected it by now. Either way, just print it out anyway and if they are little bitches about it, just price match it somewhere else.

If they don't honor the price there's going to be some serious lawsuits.

It probably says somewhere in the ad that they do not honor "advertisement mistakes." that is how they get around the false advertisement lawsuits.

It probably says somewhere in the ad that they do not honor "advertisement mistakes." that is how they get around the false advertisement lawsuits.

In all fairness, sometimes marketing teams really do just simply drop the ball. I've worked for a variety of companies, and have seen this happen countless times. It's pretty amusing when people get rampant ideas about the so-called real reasoning behind it.

It's just like in Fight Club.

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one

My Wal-mart states that the price is at $98. I just called and there is no line formed yet; it's 5AM here.

CC, BB, and Sears are not showing this model on their website....makes me wonder.

CC, BB, and Sears are not showing this model on their website....makes me wonder.

BB pulled it off their website yesterday. But my CC has a few in stock, maybe 8 or more. They probably pulled them off the websites because they are not wanting to honor the price. Typical pansy move.

BB pulled it off their website yesterday. But my CC has a few in stock, maybe 8 or more. They probably pulled them off the websites because they are not wanting to honor the price. Typical pansy move.

Yep! I wisht he HD-A20 would sell for $149...LOL

Called walmart at 6:30 am and asked if they were honoring the $98.87 deal and they said yes and only one person in line and the manager said they are going to start selling them early.I arrived at 7 am and there was one person ahead of me at register with like 10 in a cart.I grabbed 2 and was wrung up for 98.87 each.When I left there were about 15-20 more left and people walking in the door to purchase.I am sure they will not last long.One way out the door was approached by manager and he asked if my shopping experience was good and I was happy with my purchase. (As he glanced over my receipt to make sure I was not just walking out the door with them) "Good deal wal-mart"

So do we know who will price match with the Wal*Mart print out? I heard Sears but do we have confirmation on Circuit City or Best Buy. Since all the stores pulled the from their websites I guess there's no real way to check stock.

Why the hell do they allow that 10 crap! They should limit the sale to one per customer to spread the love. F the damn fleabayers!

So do we know who will price match with the Wal*Mart print out? I heard Sears but do we have confirmation on Circuit City or Best Buy. Since all the stores pulled the from their websites I guess there's no real way to check stock.

I can cofirm about CC, cuz I got mines from there for $99.99 yesterday.

Why the hell do they allow that 10 crap! They should limit the sale to one per customer to spread the love. F the damn fleabayers!

I'm gonna take a trip to Wally when I get off work and if there are any left I buy some and sell them on Ebay.....LOL

just got mine around 7 am, since they were ringin up 99! anyway my store had at least 20. Not many people there either like 3-5

Well I am bummed. Just like the website said, the prices were different here in Oklahoma. They had the HD-A2C on sale for $185 instead of the plain HD-A2 for $99.

I was going to bite just to replace my six year old no-name brand DVD player but I guess not this time around. I'll wait for the HD-A2 to go on sale again online.

Just got back, didn't get either the hd-dvd or laptop. Darn Wisconsin laws they couldn't sell us the stuff without adding on $100 :(

CC would not PM me since "It's not in the sales flyer"

Any idea of how to get around this? I'm going back Sat to see if I can get a different manager... So annoying. :mad:

Well I am bummed. Just like the website said, the prices were different here in Oklahoma. They had the HD-A2C on sale for $185 instead of the plain HD-A2 for $99.

I was going to bite just to replace my six year old no-name brand DVD player but I guess not this time around. I'll wait for the HD-A2 to go on sale again online.

eh

i was gonna check shit out cause the lady at walmart pissed me off because of that.(i'm in okc)

so where the fuck can i get this player at for $100?

Just got back from walmart with mine :) here in iowa the one i went to had 30 players in stock and by the time they started selling them there were that many people in line waiting for them. Now i just need to figure out a way to make work go faster so i can go home and play with it!

just picked mine up at walmart. they had 14 left. Killer deal. They still had like 38 of the Acer Laptops left for 348. dual core.

Just picked one up for $107.03 after tax. There were eight left in the crate from a total of 30 when I got mine. By the time I paid for it there were none left!:eek:

hmmm i wonder if there will be any left when I get out of this damn class at about 10:30... at least there are 3 wal marts I can stop on the way home. hopefully one of them will have one. trying to get one to give to my father for xmas.

but im sure there will be another $99 deal for these before the big day

picked mine up for $106 + change. They had 16 sitting on the counter and according to the clerk, about 20 more in storage.

Almost everyone in the line was either getting the DVD player or the Acer laptop or both.

$99 hint. Check Bestbuy for business.

ordered

so when i got there at walmart this morning, they had like 30 of the damn things on an endcap. me and this other guy were looking at them. as soon as i was about to pick one up this lady ran up to me and told me it was $185 and not $99. i was like "wtf?" and left promptly

walmart i went to had 14, i got maybe the 4th one or so. kinda surprised on the turn-out. had quite a few people... they only had about 10 hd-dvd movies though which really sucked. had the big lebowski though :)

$123 for 1 movie + the player = awesome...
less than i paid for my crappy samsung hd960 a year ago

ordered

so when i got there at walmart this morning, they had like 30 of the damn things on an endcap. me and this other guy were looking at them. as soon as i was about to pick one up this lady ran up to me and told me it was $185 and not $99. i was like "wtf?" and left promptly

Hell NO! Go back there and get one! The bitch was just talking outta her ass!

Hell NO! Go back there and get one! The bitch was just talking outta her ass!

nope, planned on doing that, but ,

as stated on page 5 of this thread and i rechecked myself,

the ad online clearly states that 4 states plus Puerto Rico may have a different price.

nothing i can do about it

$99 hint. Check Bestbuy for business.
Ordered from Bestbuy For Business and came to $115 with tax and shipping. I was debating on whether to take a long lunch and sneak over to Wal-Mart to see if they had any left, but I will pay the extra $10 to not have to deal with the Wal-Mart crowd.

I believe the five free movies is still in effect as well. Here is a rebate form that is still good. The selection kind of sucks, but who cares.
http://www.tacp.com/hddvd/data/pdf/Toshiba_Online_Rebate_R08.pdf

Back