Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

EnderW said:
First post :D

Now we just need to know the price.

I'm estimating over a grand point five. :eek:

Why are monitors starting to have USB and card readers on them?... wtf man. A monitor is supposed to be the screen you look at. Nothing more.. There is a case which allows you to plug shit in via USB and 9 card reader. I'm actually not complaining, but confused.

Haloevo said:
I'm estimating over a grand point five. :eek:

Why are monitors starting to have USB and card readers on them?... wtf man. A monitor is supposed to be the screen you look at. Nothing more.. There is a case which allows you to plug shit in via USB and 9 card reader. I'm actually not complaining, but confused.

And you can never have too many USB ports... even most good cases only have 2 front USB ports...

I just love the internet and forums, look how much info we have on this dream monitor in just 5 hours after it's announcment, sure we knew alot beforehand, now we have price, pics of every input and a review. I don't think it will be 30 days before the will have a special at $200 off, if not on March 1. Looks great but I still cant help but think Samsung ships them A- grade panels for less dough cause Dell knows that 99% of buyer(s) are going to be blown away and not return them for 2-6 dead pixels(they can't even see), where the people on this forum are more hard core and want total perfection. The people on this forum who complained about the backlight issue on the 2001FPW are an elite 1% Dell doesn't get the same type of scutiny from the DeskTop buyer with one of these included with their new PC. Just masive praise and tells their friends. At $1,200 it lays down the price gaunlet at $999 it's changes the market forever. I said I'd wait on the Samsung version, but if reviews on this forum show no back light issues and improved prodution consistancy, then I might not wait. Way to go Dell. david

Warborn said:
And you can never have too many USB ports... even most good cases only have 2 front USB ports...
I'm with you. My computer has 9 USB ports and I want mo' mo' MO'!!!

I was surprised in the extremtech review it said contrast was not adjustable under DVI. I have never used DVI is that normal? Does DVI allways disable contrast adjustments on all monitors, I want to adust my contrast and as a general rule in HT forums it's better done on the display than on a video card. david

So what else is the difference between this and the 2005fpw besides the size and card reader?

jhego said:
So what else is the difference between this and the 2005fpw besides the size and card reader?

The resolution is higher, and it has component inputs (red-white-yellow plugs)

Warborn said:
The resolution is higher, and it has component inputs (red-white-yellow plugs)

Isn't it red-blue-green?

Red-white-yellow is composite, or RCA iirc

Decelerate said:
Isn't it red-blue-green?

Red-white-yellow is composite, or RCA iirc

The 2005fpw is listed as having composite inputs, but it doesn't have the three red-white-yellow plugs...

Component and composite inputs are two different things, a single yellow RCA in is a composite input, 3 jacks (Red, green, blue) are component inputs. Monitors without speakers wont have the red and white connectors, they're for the audio signal.

AuroraProject said:
Component and composite inputs are two different things, a single yellow RCA in is a composite input, 3 jacks (Red, green, blue) are component inputs. Monitors without speakers wont have the red and white connectors, they're for the audio signal.

So I just bought an xbox this past weekend, the a/v cable has male connectors that go into the tv- one red, one yellow, one white. That's still component inputs right, even though you guys are referring to them as red-green-blue? Thanks,

Warborn said:
So I just bought an xbox this past weekend, the a/v cable has male connectors that go into the tv- one red, one yellow, one white. That's still component inputs right, even though you guys are referring to them as red-green-blue? Thanks,

No, those are composite outs, to get component output from the Xbox you need the high definition av pack, and a tv/monitor that has component inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...129097-5620648?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
phas3d said:
If this thing is as sweet as it sounds, just how many 2005fpw owners out there are going to be PISSED!!!?

I can't stop imagining 24 inches of CS:S

Ehg, concidering its double what I paid for my 2005fpw....not very.

rrhomes said:
I was surprised in the extremtech review it said contrast was not adjustable under DVI. I have never used DVI is that normal? Does DVI allways disable contrast adjustments on all monitors, I want to adust my contrast and as a general rule in HT forums it's better done on the display than on a video card. david

I believe this is the case.

phas3d said:
If this thing is as sweet as it sounds, just how many 2005fpw owners out there are going to be PISSED!!!?

yea, i dont feel bad that i got the 2005fpw. Its way cheaper than the regular price when i got it. And i also have a budget, i wouldnt spend more than 700 on a monitor.

If the pricing is real, then this is a steal! Don't forget to use Dell coupons to bring the price down!

How will games look playing in a lower resolution on this LCD? For example if a game supports 1600x1200 or even lower as maybe 1024x768, will the images look blurry since it's not using it's native resolution and does that damage the LCD? The only LCD I have is a 15" on my old PC and it supports 1024x768 max so I don't know about these super high res LCD's.

Also I noticed that some are saying it might be too high. In the dimension specs it says 21.5" high. Is that with the stand fully extended? If so is there a way lower it? Maybe the owners of the 2005 can explain?

Thanks

phas3d said:

Well can't say that I'm an owner of the 2005fpw but I'm not pissed since thats the monitor that I"m reaching to get. The 2405 is totally out of my reach to get already...hopefully this brings the price of the 2005fpw down (I doubt it though).

rrhomes said:

it's adjusted through the software for the GPU drivers... at least that's how I do it. :D

needmorecarnitine said:
anyone know the estimated power consumption?

More like a 21" CRT.... :)

The 2001fp and 2005fp are pretty close to a 19" CRT in power consumption.

Here is a spec quote on the 2001fp:
Power Consumption Operational: 90 W (max. with USB and Soundbar)
Power Consumption Operational ( Standby : Less than 3 W Avg. (Active-off mode)

My 19" Flat CRT (viewsonic p95f+b) is rated at 95watt... and this thing heats up like an oven... :eek:

No power reduction here... :)

My computer room gets all its heat from my monitors and computers.... :D

FusionXP said:
How will games look playing in a lower resolution on this LCD? For example if a game supports 1600x1200 or even lower as maybe 1024x768, will the images look blurry since it's not using it's native resolution and does that damage the LCD? The only LCD I have is a 15" on my old PC and it supports 1024x768 max so I don't know about these super high res LCD's.

Also I noticed that some are saying it might be too high. In the dimension specs it says 21.5" high. Is that with the stand fully extended? If so is there a way lower it? Maybe the owners of the 2005 can explain?

Thanks

well with games there are lots of motion and with AA it won't look so bad in lower rez. It's not like desktop work where you stare at static text.

as for the height, the base/neck look just like the samsung 243t. I had the apple cinema 23 side by side with it and even at lowest possible height, the samsung is ~3" higher than the apple (I'm talking about the panel itself, ignoring the bezel). I didn't like the height at all; esp with a display that big. I prefer to look down slightly at a display, not straight ahead or up.

but with a price this low, I think you can afford to buy a vesa mount :)

As weird as it sounds, 24" is a bit TOO large for me. Maybe I am lazy and don't wont to look around at the screen, I like to take in everything with one glance, and maybe I am just defending my purchase of the 2005FPW :rolleyes:, but 24" seems just a bit too large for a PC monitor.

As weird as it sounds, 24" is a bit TOO large for me

Denial is an ugly, ugly thing!

j/k, i kinda feel the same...but don't cause this monitor has great potential as a graphics development lcd.

dmonkey said:
As weird as it sounds, 24" is a bit TOO large for me. Maybe I am lazy and don't wont to look around at the screen, I like to take in everything with one glance, and maybe I am just defending my purchase of the 2005FPW :rolleyes:, but 24" seems just a bit too large for a PC monitor.

I think alot of people will feel this way, I personal would preffer a 22inch 16:10 1920x1200 monitor since the pixels would be smaller. I think the 2005FPW is an incredible buy and if it reached some insane price like $450 I might still get it insted, as I like a ton of eye candy in my games and when you max out CS:S...esp- cl_ragdoll_colide 1(allows bodys to pile up and never clip) then you take a FPS hit and 1920x1200 is a lot of pixels to push even by todays standard. However I just saw some specs on ATI's 520 and brotha it aint gonna have any problems push the very latest games at 1920x1200. Anyhow the 2005FPW is priced so right and does have the benifit of not being HUGE that it's still in the runing for me. But I think the 2405FPW resolution will win out as it's just a more standard array. Thanks to Dell everybody can truly Rock and Roll with what ever budget you have. david

I think a 24" LCD at WSXGA+ resolution would strike the perfect balance. I'm gonna get a 2405FPW and just max out as much as my 6800GT OC card will handle.

i got a brand new BFG 6800 ULTRA OC on the way.. what perfect timing... should help me push out those heavy resoltuions a lot more!! WOOT WOOT

hats off to DELL..... perfect timing too may i add!! :D

phas3d said:
Denial is an ugly, ugly thing!

j/k, i kinda feel the same...but don't cause this monitor has great potential as a graphics development lcd.

24inch I think will probably be just about the right size, at least with a widescreen, as the height is probably close to a regular 21inch CRT, especialy the vertical resolution. Now when talking about things being too big, I just saw the 30inch Apple at Compusa. It's amazing, but I think you'd need to sit back more than normal to get a full view. And Then I'd want to get a new desk for the monitor so it's not against the wall so you can see it at all angles because it looks so nice.

www.dell.com --> Home & Home Office --> **click** --> Monitors --> **click** --> LCD Monitors --> **click** --> Wide Aspect --> **click** --> ::sigh:: :(

rrhomes said:

You are unlikely to be using DVI with this monitor for HT as it does not support HDCP or HDMI.

As long as you can adjust contrast on the component inputs you'll be fine.

One thing not yet confirmed though is will it accept progressive signals via component?

Teal said:
You are unlikely to be using DVI with this monitor for HT as it does not support HDCP or HDMI.

As long as you can adjust contrast on the component inputs you'll be fine.

One thing not yet confirmed though is will it accept progressive signals via component?

You could always use a HDMI -> DVI converter. I dont know about HDCP, though.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/products/dvi-hdmi.jsp

Hi,

Maybe this is a dumb question but I am wondering if we put the 2405 at a resolution of 1680/1050, will it look the same as the 2005 fpw or will it be interpolated??

I am asking this because if I game on a future 2405 I doubt I will game at 1920/1200 resolution.

LMK

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
Maybe this is a dumb question but I am wondering if we put the 2405 at a resolution of 1680/1050, will it look the same as the 2005 fpw or will it be interpolated??

I am asking this because if I game on a future 2405 I doubt I will game at 1920/1200 resolution.

Yes, it will be interpolated, and will therefore look pretty bad. You've got two ways around this:

1) Buy a 2005FP, which has a native resolution of 1680x1050.
2) Run your game in windowed mode instead of full screen.

Back