Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764462,00.asp
Note: Not all games scale well to widescreen mode. You can find a wealth of information about gaming on widescreen displays at the Wide Screen Gaming Forum. If you're forced to play at 4:3 resolution, you can choose one of three modes: fill (stretched), Aspect Ratio, or 1:1. The 1:1 mode uses only the number of pixels actually requested. Aspect Ratio preserves the requested aspect ratio. For example, if you run at 1024x768, you'll get a 4:3 display centered in the screen, with black pillar bars on either side. Fill mode stretches the image from 4:3 mode to full screen mode, distorting the picture in the process. Note that you cannot choose which mode you're in when you're running at the native resolution. You have to switch to a different (lesser) resolution to change the mode—one of the odd quirks of the on-screen display.

spectrumbx said:
More like a 21" CRT.... :)
Here is a spec quote on the 2001fp:
Power Consumption Operational: 90 W (max. with USB and Soundbar)
Power Consumption Operational ( Standby : Less than 3 W Avg. (Active-off mode)
Actually, be aware that that includes the sound (about 14W) and 2-4 USB ports (2.5W each).

The specs for the 2405FPW are more like 59W max power without the sound and USB used. So that's really pretty good. I saw this mentioned in the user guide, but I can't re-find the link to it (the user guide for the 2405FPW is available on the dell website *somewhere* though)

might be a stupid question, but i have an evga pci-e 6800 ultra , and there max output is 1600x1200 on dvi so how do you go about the 1900 res?

CanadaOwnsJoo said:
might be a stupid question, but i have an evga pci-e 6800 ultra , and there max output is 1600x1200 on dvi so how do you go about the 1900 res?

The max output is 1600x1200 because that's what the monitor reports for itself (or the monitor profile). You hook up a 1920x1200 DVI connection it should, in theory, be recoginzed as such.

CanadaOwnsJoo said:
my monitor only support 1280x1024, but heres a copy and paste from evga...

Resolution & Refresh
240 Hz Max Refresh Rate
2048 x 1536 x 32bit x 85 Hz Max Analog
1600 x 1200 Max Digital

Regardless of what it says, I can't imagine it not working since in the review at ExtremeTech they used a 6800 Ultra and eVGA follows the nVidia reference design pretty close so I can't see why they would cripple their cards.

I know it should work..., but id be rather pissed to find out a 1200$ monitor wont run the rez you want, or you need to run vga to do it :)

i thought this was the spec for all 6800 ultra (6800 series in general)

Hi,

Will the 2405 run full res with my x850 xt pe??

I just got a refund from dell, and I will order a 2405.. BTW anyone know exaclty when the monitor is gonna be available for purshase on dell's website??

LMK

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
Hi,

Maybe this is a dumb question but I am wondering if we put the 2405 at a resolution of 1680/1050, will it look the same as the 2005 fpw or will it be interpolated??

I am asking this because if I game on a future 2405 I doubt I will game at 1920/1200 resolution.

LMK

Mcklain

McKlain,

You have nice system specs in your signature. Do you have concerns about being able to push these pixels (at these higher res's) in current and near future game titles?

I have a AMD64 3400, 2 GB Corsair XMS, 2 RAID 0 HD's (all 4 are Raptor 10K RPM) and I've been waiting on this display and a new video card purchase. Currently I have a 9800XT and will be going to an X850XTPE (when and if the AGP version ever ships).

But, I have serious concerns about being able to push those pixels at 1920x1200 and get any decent performance. It seems like at those res's AA is not as important as it is on lower ones, but AF would be important to me.

All benches I ever see for games and cards are at 1600x1200 and 4X AA with 16X AF turned on. If my math is correct, then 1920x1200 is 20% more pixels. This seems a bit of a challenge for most video cards out there, excluding SLI which has its own problems for wide aspect I understand.

Anyone care to comment on what to expect if running simillar size LCD's as this new 24 inch in games?

Thanks,
Dim-Ize

Hi,

Ok found the answer to my first question here:

Dell

On the bottom of the page theres a javascript link with the card compatibility!!

Mcklain

Hi,

Well I will probably continue playing games @1680/1050 resolution. When I switched resolution with my 2005 I never saw interpolation. So I dont think this is gonna be an issue.

But for sure running games at 1920/1200 is really to much for todays pc's (single card). And of course higher the res the less AA is required to have a nice definition.

Mcklain

or you could do half of the native resolution for no interpolation, something like: 960x600 with plenty of AA

Or just pick the 1:1 ratio so you just have all black around the resolution you choose though you'll really have the sharpest picture possible. This is especially convenient for playing shooters, since i play quake 3 allot and want to see everything at once. 24" will be too big for that :D, can't wait to order and receive it.

McKlain:

My Geforce3 Ti200 can do 1920x1200x32bit _in DVI mode_, so I'd be really surprised if a 6x00 card can't do the same.

Mcklain said:
Hi,

Maybe this is a dumb question but I am wondering if we put the 2405 at a resolution of 1680/1050, will it look the same as the 2005 fpw or will it be interpolated??

I am asking this because if I game on a future 2405 I doubt I will game at 1920/1200 resolution.

LMK

Mcklain

It shouldn't be that bad since this is a pretty high res display, I think a review said it looked pretty decent in other resolutions. So it won't look as bad as say running a 15inch native 1024*768 at 640*480.

mort said:
Or just pick the 1:1 ratio so you just have all black around the resolution you choose though you'll really have the sharpest picture possible. This is especially convenient for playing shooters, since i play quake 3 allot and want to see everything at once. 24" will be too big for that :D, can't wait to order and receive it.

Or, you could sit more than 6 inches from the screen :p Seriously, though... Quake III is a game that will run well at 1920 x 1200 on almost any machine. If not, you need to spend the $1200 on a monitor, and then go buy a $200 video card so you can play games on it. You know that it's all about the Source engine at that rez though. :D

I'm buying the monitor primarely for doing 2d and 3d design and I just love having a big workspace. I sold my 22" crt about 6 months ago thinking I would get a new lcd soon. Since then I've had a 17" to play with, just happy I waited long enough.

As for Quake 3, it won't run nicely on lcd's anyway cause it needs 120hz and a ingame maxfps of 125 too make it run the way i want too ;).

mort said:
As for Quake 3, it won't run nicely on lcd's anyway cause it needs 120hz and a ingame maxfps of 125 too make it run the way i want too ;).

it needs 121Hz! The scientists told me so...

Dim-Ize said:
McKlain,

You have nice system specs in your signature. Do you have concerns about being able to push these pixels (at these higher res's) in current and near future game titles?

I have a AMD64 3400, 2 GB Corsair XMS, 2 RAID 0 HD's (all 4 are Raptor 10K RPM) and I've been waiting on this display and a new video card purchase. Currently I have a 9800XT and will be going to an X850XTPE (when and if the AGP version ever ships).

But, I have serious concerns about being able to push those pixels at 1920x1200 and get any decent performance. It seems like at those res's AA is not as important as it is on lower ones, but AF would be important to me.

All benches I ever see for games and cards are at 1600x1200 and 4X AA with 16X AF turned on. If my math is correct, then 1920x1200 is 20% more pixels. This seems a bit of a challenge for most video cards out there, excluding SLI which has its own problems for wide aspect I understand.

Anyone care to comment on what to expect if running simillar size LCD's as this new 24 inch in games?

Thanks,
Dim-Ize
You probably can run at 1920x1200. But it will most likely depend on the game for AA and AF. Since HL2 is rather CPU limited than you may have to turn it down or off seeing how the X850XTPE may become bottlenecked by your CPU. I have been running at this res on a pair of BFG 6800GTs on a 24" Sony GDM-FW900 and found my sweet spot at 2xAA 16xAF. I believe SLI has problems no so much with widescreen resolutions but with widescreen on LCDs.

One would think that fsaa at such a resolution is not really necessary anymore. I remember in resolutions like 800x600 en 1024x768 fsaa would make a huge difference to me. Though I'm not speaking from experience 1600x1200 or even 1920x1200 would not really need fsaa cause the 'lines' would have enough pixels to look smooth anyway. Then again I could be completely wrong and there is a huge difference on high resolutions as well ;)

Anyway almost every card with a DVI output is able to output 1920x1200, people shouldn't worry too much! If I remembered correctly a single link dvi output is capable of outputting a signal of 1920x1200@52Hz using reduced blanking, though 60Hz shouldn't be a problem.

mort said:
One would think that fsaa at such a resolution is not really necessary anymore. I remember in resolutions like 800x600 en 1024x768 fsaa would make a huge difference to me. Though I'm not speaking from experience 1600x1200 or even 1920x1200 would not really need fsaa cause the 'lines' would have enough pixels to look smooth anyway. Then again I could be completely wrong and there is a huge difference on high resolutions as well ;)

Anyway almost every card with a DVI output is able to output 1920x1200, people shouldn't worry too much! If I remembered correctly a single link dvi output is capable of outputting a signal of 1920x1200@52Hz using reduced blanking, though 60Hz shouldn't be a problem.

On a 21inch crt at 1600*1200, the same vertical resolution on the 24inch, you'll need some AA, so probably more so with an LCD seeing how they are much sharper, making it more visible than a CRT would. I believe a minimal 2xAA is needed, but 4x or 6x is overkill, possibly making it less sharp looking in the process.

Mcklain said:
But for sure running games at 1920/1200 is really to much for todays pc's (single card). And of course higher the res the less AA is required to have a nice definition.

Actually, the latest generation of cards runs 1920x1200 perfectly. Read up on the other 23'' monitor threads.

mort said:

Aliasing has a lot to do with the game as well. For instance, in a game like Half Life 2 with its brightly lit scenes and huge environments aliasing plays a significant role, without it, even at high resolutions it is noticable. Granted the effect will be minimized the higher you go, it is still there. 2xAA cleans it up nicely enough for me. Then there are games like Doom 3 which I have heard doesn't really need AA at all since most of it is so dark you can't really tell the difference. I don't have the game so I can not tell you from personal experience.

What is the height on this LCD? Is it comparable to the height of a regular 20" monitor?

Reading so many posts about issues including the dreaded backlight leakage with 2005fp, I am kinda reluctant to make decisions at this point. I know it is basically Samsung, not LG Philips. Why do I still have doubts? I can't help thinkning that the quality control with this model will not be much much better. I admit I am kinda person who sees a glass of water half empty rather than half full.
Granted, when I first read the article and saw the pictures of the actual model on Dell websites.... my heart almost stopped.:eek: Very impressive indeed.

blix9 said:
Reading so many posts about issues including the dreaded backlight leakage with 2005fp, I am kinda reluctant to make decisions at this point. I know it is basically Samsung, not LG Philips. Why do I still have doubts? I can't help thinkning that the quality control with this model will not be much much better. I admit I am kinda person who sees a glass of water half empty rather than half full.
Granted, when I first read the article and saw the pictures of the actual model on Dell websites.... my heart almost stopped.:eek: Very impressive indeed.
I don't think it looks that impressive, if you have seen the 2005fwp the 2405fwp is simply the same design only with a bigger panel, nothing too fancy.

Now the 30" Apple Cinema Display, that's impressive.

ohnnyj said:
I don't think it looks that impressive, if you have seen the 2005fwp the 2405fwp is simply the same design only with a bigger panel, nothing too fancy.

Now the 30" Apple Cinema Display, that's impressive.

... and component inputs :D

Hmm, after reading the sticky article on LCD and remembering my experience with the Samsung 243T, I'm much more cautious about the new Dell.

The 243T had absolutely ATROCIOUS response time. I saw smearing just doing desktop work (moving windows around, scrolling text). DVD playback was smeary. Games were unplayable, esp. dark games like Doom3. One thing it was good at: contrast. The blacks were quite black (for LCD) and the whites were nice and white, not cream, beige, or yellowish. But it had this weird problem where colors noticeably varied across the screen. In the center, colors were deeper, and faded more and more toward the edges. Now that I've read the article, I understand why.

Strangely, many people report not seeing ghosting with the 243T. They must be wearing anti-ghosting goggles or something. I have no idea. Yes I played around with adjustments and I have plenty of ambient light in the room (I do not sit in the dark).

The new panel of course has much better specs, but we know how these things are manipulated. Then there's the backlight issue...

Btw, I have no idea what to make of people saying X LCD is better than CRT. Sure you can say CRTs are too bulky, or have too much glare or cause eye fatigue or give you headache, but to say some LCD has better contrast or colors than any CRT just makes me want to discount any review I read on these forums.

It's PVA being a Samsung. I personally don't think there will be any major bleeding issues on the 2405 (unless LG ends up manufacturing it with the Samsung panel). The leakage issue was an LG Phillips manufacturing problem, not a Dell problem. I once saw a LG Flatron widescreen (I didn't know they made them) that had leakage identical to what you see on the Dells with the loose panel and everything. So as long as the screens are being made by Samsung or Benq this probably shouldn't be an issue.

Now if the Samsungs are famous for any quirks I suppose you may see those passed on to the 2405 but I don't remember reading about any major issues with Samsung's widescreens, so hopefully the 2405 will be relatively problem free.

Back