Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM Preview, Pics

joemama said:
So thats a 6 bit TN panel using dithering to get 16.7m colors?
How do we know for sure? My understanding it that this panel is a true 8-bit TN panel. Samsung usually lists it 6-bit panels as having 16.2 million.

So if we are to believe that Vewsonic 22 will uses Chimei panel TN(which is most like true), heres a link for chimei 22 inch monitor. I wish a 22 inch monitor would come out with AS-ISP panel
Chimei

trek554 said:
How do we know for sure? My understanding it that this panel is a true 8-bit TN panel. Samsung usually lists it 6-bit panels as having 16.2 million.
If it were then it seems like Samsung would be sure to list that in the specs...not something to really downplay. I do know that all current 6 bit TN panels that list 16.7m instead of 16.2 are using dithering to sort of "fake it". All of these new 22" panels are being sold around the $400 mark which leads me to believe the extra 2 inches is the only improvement over 20" TN panels.

edit- haven't seen the Samsung for sale but it may be more and you may be right..

I've seen the 22" Samsung for sale at fry's and its cheap $399. It also suffers the bad viewing angle problems as the Westinghouse 22 and Acer 22"

when will LCDs come with 15000:1 contrast ratio? I will stick with my sony trinitron until then

LostStorm said:
So if we are to believe that Vewsonic 22 will uses Chimei panel TN(which is most like true), heres a link for chimei 22 inch monitor. I wish a 22 inch monitor would come out with AS-ISP panel
Chimei

Westinghouse is also completely manufacturered by Chei Mei

The problem I have with these 22" is that you can't walk into a store anywhere and see one properly set up with a dual DVI Link cable.

I've only seen them at Best Buy at 800x600 with some fuzzy ass VGA connection. Impossible to determine just how bad this viewing angle problem is with that setup.

DefBringer said:
The problem I have with these 22" is that you can't walk into a store anywhere and see one properly set up with a dual DVI Link cable.

I've only seen them at Best Buy at 800x600 with some fuzzy ass VGA connection. Impossible to determine just how bad this viewing angle problem is with that setup.

Best buy is currently looking into creating a monitor wall that supports multiple resolutions. Not sure about DVI though since not everything they carry has it at this point.

I have the Acer 22" and I have no idea what people are talking about when they say these panels have bad viewing angles. There is a subtle change in brightness as you move your head up and down by more than 6" but what is the problem with that? If I stand off to one side or the other I can see the image just fine.

I get the impression that older TNs were crap in those respects. Either TN tech has improved, ot these arent TNs - some say P-MVA.

IF anyone wants to add their views on the viewing angles of these 22" screens, please state whether you actually have one.

i just bought the vx2235wm today. gonna have to wait 20 days to collect it. hope it's as good as the vx2025, just bigger :D

christopher625 said:
i just bought the vx2235wm today. gonna have to wait 20 days to collect it. hope it's as good as the vx2025, just bigger :D
They use completely different panels. If you had bothered to read the thread you would know that the VX2235WM uses a TN panel. If you have a VX2025 then you might be disappointed in this monitor.

christopher625 said:
But it's not yet confrimed. Some places say it's a Chi mei P-MVA panel.
Look closely at what I am replying to. I am saying that the panel in the VX2235WM is completely different than the VX2025WM therefore its not just a bigger VX2025WM. The guy I am replying too may not be happy since the panel looks like it is a lower quality panel.

yes i know that. i'm just hoping it performs just as well as the vx2025. pixel pitch is larger and the panel is from a different manufacturer.. but i hope there wont' be too much difference in quality.

I saw the samsung 22" at Fry's. It's definantly a TN and doesn't look good at all. I'm assuming the Viewsonic will use a smilar panel so I went with the dell 2407 instead.

Pretzel said:
I saw the samsung 22" at Fry's. It's definantly a TN and doesn't look good at all. I'm assuming the Viewsonic will use a smilar panel so I went with the dell 2407 instead.

I would love to get the 2407, but it is also more than twice the price of one of the VX2235's.

So, for the price of $350, do you think that the Viewsonic is worth it? Or is the picture really that bad?

My local Costco has it in store now for $349. I'm guessing most Costco's should have it too if anyone wants to see how they look.

Okay, I just bought this monitor today from Costco. Here are my experiences w/ it.

Backlight: Top, bottom, left and right sides have light bleed. It is so much brighter than the center. My view was looking straight into the center of monitor from 2 feet away.

Panel Film Type: I am 100% sure it is not a TN film TFT. How do I know this? I can see it with my own eyes. So far with all TN panel, I have same experience. I see pixels dithering process during game or moving my head while looking at a still image. I see the dithering on dell 1907fp, kds915s2, samsung 204b, cheap viewsonic) The pixel looking like diamond shape during dither(while moving head w/ still image or motion pictures). Some of you may call this is bs, but i sure do see it. With my current monitor is 204b and dpi .255, I still see the diamonds pixel, it's a bitXX seeing the dithering but hey I got it only for $260 new 4 days ago at www.buy.com. As for VX2235wm, I still see the dithering but it's harder.(the pixel are more like rectangle box bluring with the direction of motion). Thus, this is not a TN panel. it's something else.. probably p-mva. There is no ghosting in game at all. Very good in term of response rate.

6 or 8 bit: on the box, it says 16.2M color.

The stand: The base is quite cheap, very flimsy. The base should have thicker plastic to hold this heavy lcd. I can rock the lcd, lol. You can't raise or lower the lcd. (it's lame)

Note: in game w/ different resolution, a blue box pop up saying to get best quality, run at native resolution. You can disable it by pressing button #2. I disabled it and it didnt' pop up again. The button are a bitxh to press on(thin and deep). If you have fat fingers, good look with it. Find a Qtip or something. With text size, 22"(1680x1050) goes alot easier on the eyes than 20"(1600x1200). Good monitor for office works and internet. I can't adjust the color right. I didn't want to spend alot of time adjusting the color cuz there are alot of downsize points. This monitor is going back and I am keeping 204b. Btw, 204b have superb backlight. It is so well evened out, all four corners and four side look as bright as center with full black screen.

If you guys have any more question, about VX2235wm, let me know.

JohnleMVP said:
I've seen the 22" Samsung for sale at fry's and its cheap $399. It also suffers the bad viewing angle problems as the Westinghouse 22 and Acer 22"

I just snagged one up and i love it. Viewing angle isn't really an issue ...i mean i just view it head on ..thats all i gotta worry about. Color reproduction is strong and good blacks .. the only downside is backlight is alittle strong but after some tuning its fine.

Last0ne said:
Panel Film Type: I am 100% sure it is not a TN film TFT.

it's something else.. probably p-mva. There is no ghosting in game at all. Very good in term of response rate.

6 or 8 bit: on the box, it says 16.2M color.

Then I'm 100% sure its not a P-MVA.

Dude, there is no way that a P-MVA only has 16.2M colors. My guess is that you just haven't had experience with a modern TN panel. The dithering has gotten much better recently.

Open up a text document, or anything with a white background, and then move your head to an extreme left or right viewing angle. If the white turns yellowish, its a TN.

I have a Gateway FPD1975W, and I only notice the dithering while watching DVD movies.

Pretzel said:
However, also like many, I am unhappy with the smaller size of the text and images in it's native 1680 x 1050.

this made me laugh.

I just bought the Acer 22 wide yesterday. I love it. My old Sun 21inch 85 pound beast is now in my brothers room. For the price of this monitor, it CAN'T be beat. Not 1 dead pixel, but as everyone else states, there is minor blacklight bleeding at the top and bottom, that I don't notice unless I'm looking for it (kinda like the wires in an appature grille monitor)

I just got this monitor, and will be posting some pictures within the next few hours.

-Vito

I almost bought the 22" viewsonic at Costco today but noticed one thing that I really didn't like: the stand on this thing is not only chinsy in design, it is reeaaallly high! This fact combined with the fact the there is at least another 2" of speaker space along the bottom of the monitor means that it is elevated at least a good 6" up off your desk. My desk already has a built in elevated stand, this would have meant I would be craning my neck upwards to look at this thing.

Unfortunately the Costco I was at didn't have it plugged in so I couldn't see what the panel actually looked like. The monitor itself looked ok design wise...except for that speaker strip along the bottom.

Scyles said:
Then I'm 100% sure its not a P-MVA.

Dude, there is no way that a P-MVA only has 16.2M colors. My guess is that you just haven't had experience with a modern TN panel. The dithering has gotten much better recently.

Open up a text document, or anything with a white background, and then move your head to an extreme left or right viewing angle. If the white turns yellowish, its a TN.

Ya, as I said, I am sure 100% it is not a TN but something else. With the TN panel, during dithering, i see the diamond shape pixels and blackness around each of them. If motion stop, i see the picture just like on crt. I know what you mean w/ the yellowish. I am having it now on my Samsung 204B (TN tft). It's part of view angle imo(It only happens when i looked from the side). I don't have problem with it because I always look from head on(99% of the time).

xtasyindecay said:
I missed that one - unhappy? Is that a serious comment?

saying you're unhappy with text size on a higher res monitor is lol. Up the dpi, how about it?

DefBringer said:

So monitors do support dual-link DVI nowadays?
Not even 1920x1200 monitors supported dual-link DVI before and I don't see how any manufacturer would waste their money on something like that (especially now when graphic-cards actually do handle it...).

But I'd be glad if someone proved me wrong.

Nothing besides the 30 inch suckers need dual link DVI ..the 24's and below dont support or require dual link DVI.

brumwald said:
So monitors do support dual-link DVI nowadays?
Not even 1920x1200 monitors supported dual-link DVI before and I don't see how any manufacturer would waste their money on something like that (especially now when graphic-cards actually do handle it...).

But I'd be glad if someone proved me wrong.

Dual link is not necassary for 1920x1200. ONce you bump up to the next resolution which is something like 2048x1565 (totally not right but I am not at work) you need dual link. You are only gonna get a resolution of 3MP or higher from a 30 inch or some sort of gray scale medical diagnostic monitor (21 inches).

The other thing dual link is necassary for is if your graphics card can support greater than 8 bit. If you move to 10 bit you need dual link in order to transfer the info. The NEC LCD2180WG-LED has dual link for its 10 bit LUT.

Here are some initial photos. Im still trying to find a good way to capture high FPS games without the blur.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1295.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1289.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1288.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1284.jpg

The picture quality is great, with only minimal backlight bleeding on the top and bottom portions of the LCD. There may be one dead pixel that sometimes decides that it is "stuck". Othertimes, it works perfectly.

I will have a full review soon.

hiteak86 said:
Here are some initial photos. Im still trying to find a good way to capture high FPS games without the blur.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1295.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1289.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1288.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hitek86/IMG_1284.jpg

The picture quality is great, with only minimal backlight bleeding on the top and bottom portions of the LCD. There may be one dead pixel that sometimes decides that it is "stuck". Othertimes, it works perfectly.

I will have a full review soon.

Nice photos. :)

From those shots it looks like a pretty nice screen.

Back