Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM Preview, Pics

This has got to be a TN film. Its only $350 at Costco. $350, for a 22" screen? The 21" P-MVA/S-PVA screens are $500 and this sure isn't an IPS.

hiteak86 u take better pics than viewsonic :) Had looked at the other shots & tthought it looked really ugly as mentioned earlier ,the bottom bezel being 2 thick. But looking at your last 2 shots looks perfectly cool. Will be mounting monitor on wall so stand isn't an issue.

Had been looking at
ViewSonic's 20.1" VX2025wm but found Dell UltraSharp™ 2007WFP 20.1 on offer. was going 2 get a x1900xt to go with either of these am now thinking may go x1800xt or x1900gt + Viewsonic VX2235wm 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor or NEC 20WGX2 has also been recommended as a great panel. - Lol! :D choice is getting wider :eek:

Everyone making 22 inch panels is making TN panels.

Samsung, LG-Phillips, Chei Mei, and Hanstar are all making 22 inch TN panels. Thats all there is too it. There are no other types of panels in this size.

It is TN panel, I sent email to tftcentral cause they had it listed as mva panel, they did change it and now they have it listed as TN panel. Wasnt Dell suppose to come out with 22 panel (if they do I hope its ISP panel)

Its still not true 8-bit. It just has better dithering than older TN's.

LostStorm said:
It is TN panel, I sent email to tftcentral cause they had it listed as mva panel, they did change it and now they have it listed as TN panel. Wasnt Dell suppose to come out with 22 panel (if they do I hope its ISP panel)

Dell does not make panels so this would be impossible.

LG-Phillips almost exclusively manufacturers IPS panels and as of right now they are only making a TN 22 inch panel. I would check their site if you interested in if a 22 inch IPS wil be produced in the future.

Yeah i meant to say that i heard dell was coming out with 22 inch monitor and I hope it has isp panel. I will keep checking up on LG website thanks.

LostStorm said:
Yeah i meant to say that i heard dell was coming out with 22 inch monitor and I hope it has isp panel. I will keep checking up on LG website thanks.

Dell is buying 100,000 of the 22" Chi Mei LCD panels a month for their 22" model. At the moment Chi Mei is the only manufacturer of any 22" LCD panels.

I recently bought a Chi Mei branded 22" screen and it is very good, colour is great, great viewing angles, no ghosting that i am able to see.

Not sure if this monitor is available in the US but i paid $580AUS for this monitor which is a very good price for the size.

Hyperblau said:
Dell is buying 100,000 of the 22" Chi Mei LCD panels a month for their 22" model. At the moment Chi Mei is the only manufacturer of any 22" LCD panels.

I recently bought a Chi Mei branded 22" screen and it is very good, colour is great, great viewing angles, no ghosting that i am able to see.

Not sure if this monitor is available in the US but i paid $580AUS for this monitor which is a very good price for the size.

you give me hope! :D i'm still waiting.. 14 more days *starts to get jumpy

I think you're going to like the new TN, don't worry too much. The only time the colors are noticably off, to me, is when I am watching a DVD movie. Specifically, the color blending of peoples' faces.

I certainly wouldn't do any professional graphics work on this panel, either.

thanks.. but i watch alot of movies and anime on my computer. that's why i decided to go widescreen in the first place.

I've also seen this unit at Costco for 350, and I almost bought it today. However, as this will be my first LCD computer panel, I decided to do some research first--I do professional photography, and process my own RAW files. So I need accurate color. I also want to be able to game when I want to, which isn't much lately. But oh well, there isn't crap in games worth playing right now, after FEAR and no special RTS, and definitely NO RPG games like old school (1998) UO, Shadowbane, and Old School DAOC. So gaming isn't that big of a deal over accurate color rendering. This is the response I got from tech support:

Dear Doug:

Thanks for your inquiry. Since you are a photographer, I'd recommend
going with an VP2130b 8 bit panel over the VX2235wb (6 bit+2 bit FRC)
unit. This is the most accurate color you can get at this time; state of
the art.

Regards,

Tommy Jue
Sr. Quality Engineer
ViewSonic Corporation

My question is, how do you tell a TN panel over the true 8 bit models? What spec is it?
Interestingly, the Viewsonic VX2025wm uses a P-MVA panel, and you can type it in and get a read out here:
http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
Result: "ViewSonic VX2025wm (widescreen) has a 20 inch 8 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M201EW01 V0) panel."

And that's a pretty nice technology for a lot less than the VP2130b 21", although this is top of the line using S-PVA technology (use above link to see yourself) and it's fast too. Resolution is the same for both. So, you can save 300+ US dollars and get pretty much the same performance in gaming and graphics; however, the P-MVA technology is not great for watching movies, which I never do on my computer screen. I save that for a dedicated HDTV LCD TV panel. I am not sure if the 2025 is a true 8 bit or not. Some P-MVA panels are NOT, or so I have read.

ViewSonic VX2025wm 20": 329 US at Amazon
ViewSonic VP2130b 21": 639 US at Amazon

DougWD said:
Dear Doug:

Thanks for your inquiry. Since you are a photographer, I'd recommend
going with an VP2130b 8 bit panel over the VX2235wb (6 bit+2 bit FRC)
unit. This is the most accurate color you can get at this time; state of
the art.

Regards,

Tommy Jue
Sr. Quality Engineer
ViewSonic Corporation

"Most accurate color you can get at this time" from Viewsonic! That S-PVA in thier 21 inch doesnt come close to the 21 inch S-IPS panel out there made by NEC-NLT that NEC and Eizo use.

DougWD said:
What about this?
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT..._20"&ProductSKU=SDMP234/B&TabName=specs&var2=

From research I've done using Tom's, TFT Central, and flatpanels.dk, that Sony seems like the best LCD panel out there for the price, which you can get for less than 700.00. Note it is true 16:9 (1920 x 1200) and 23", not 21 or 22 like the Eizo.

What do you think about that evaluation between graphic performance and cost?

I know i have said this before but if you are going to get it, get it soon because Sony has stopped producing their desktop monitors. I know supply is running short at distribution too.

Also sony doesnt make LCD panels

Nope, they don't. It's got that LG.Phillips S-IPS panel in it.

Sony SDM-P234B (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

The only thing keeping me from snatching this 2004 technology up is that LG has announced its Enhanced Super IPS panels, with all the new enhancing electronics, which take the contrast past 1000 and blacks (which is very important in photo editing) to a VERY black level, and halves the response times all around. I just hate to fork over 700+ US only to get old technology and its drawbacks that new technology has now overcome--just a matter of them hitting the markets. Even so, I probably won't be able to afford it for 2 years anyway :(. But even if teh technology improves, the latest iteration of this LG.Phillips panel would be good enough for anything even gaming without blurring. I just wonder what the Sony P234B really perfroms like in real life. At Tom's they only posted a 412 contrast which is pretty shiitty compared to the ES-IPS.

So you think I should jump on one of those?

DougWD said:
Nope, they don't. It's got that LG.Phillips S-IPS panel in it.

Sony SDM-P234B (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

The only thing keeping me from snatching this 2004 technology up is that LG has announced its Enhanced Super IPS panels, with all the new enhancing electronics, which take the contrast past 1000 and blacks (which is very important in photo editing) to a VERY black level, and halves the response times all around. I just hate to fork over 700+ US only to get old technology and its drawbacks that new technology has now overcome--just a matter of them hitting the markets. Even so, I probably won't be able to afford it for 2 years anyway :(. But even if teh technology improves, the latest iteration of this LG.Phillips panel would be good enough for anything even gaming without blurring. I just wonder what the Sony P234B really perfroms like in real life. At Tom's they only posted a 412 contrast which is pretty shiitty compared to the ES-IPS.

So you think I should jump on one of those?

Is this ES-IPS the same thing as the A-TW-IPS LG just came out with?? Also what is using ES-IPS if it is different.

Here are the specs from Phillips:
Link: http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=V45B33YRDCPURJ0RMRCSHQNHKFSESI5P

Picture/Display
LCD panel type : 1920 x 1200 pixels, Anti-glare polarizer, RGB vertical stripe
Panel Size : 23" / 58.4 cm
Effective viewing area : 495.4 x 309.6 mm
Pixel pitch : 0.258 x 0.258 mm
Brightness : 300 cd/m²
Contrast ratio (typical) : 700:1
Display colors : 16.7 M
Viewing angle : @ C/R > 10
Viewing angle (horizontal) : 178 degree
Viewing angle (vertical) : 178 degree
Response time (typical) : 12 ms
White Chromaticity, 6500K : x = 0.313 / y = 0.329
White Chromaticity, 9300K : x = 0.283 / y = 0.297
Maximum Resolution : 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz (digital input)
Recommended Resolution : 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz (digital input)
Video Dot Rate : 205 MHz
Horizontal Scanning Frequency : 30 - 94 kHz
Vertical Scanning Frequency : 56 - 85 Hz
Aspect ratio : 16:10

This is the "type" of panel it is:
Link: http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
Philips 230WP7NS has a 23 inch 12 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips) panel.

It seems like the shit. The faster S-IPS panel with better contrast. It's like the Sony, but faster and better contrast. I'm pretty much set on IPS panels, since PVA and MVA have some problems looking straight on at the panel--you lose color. So you ahve to tilt them very slightly. Their black is a little better, but now wiht the updated IPS panels, that is relaly no onger a problem. Nor is the faster speed of the MVA and PVA panels since the blaock to white to black is 12ms now on this new IPS. One thing I do not like is that it is silver, not black. WTF is up with that?

Post any legitimate reviews you can find. I wish Tom's would do it. What I hate about reviews, including Tom's, is that they fail to tell you what type panel it is. People need to know if they look directly on at a MVA or PVA LCD panel, they will LOSE color, whereas the IPS panels do not. There are other things I wish they would explain too. I'm sold on IPS panels though.

travbomb said:
Everyone making 22 inch panels is making TN panels.

Samsung, LG-Phillips, Chei Mei, and Hanstar are all making 22 inch TN panels. Thats all there is too it. There are no other types of panels in this size.

That's patently false. The Philips 230WP7NS has the S-IPS panel, as does the Sony P23B which came out in 2004. Go here and you can seefor yourself:
http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

You can type in any panel maker's number and get a read out of which panel and type they use for each specific monitor.

Example:

Result:

travbomb said:
Dell does not make panels so this would be impossible.

LG-Phillips almost exclusively manufacturers IPS panels and as of right now they are only making a TN 22 inch panel. I would check their site if you interested in if a 22 inch IPS wil be produced in the future.

Dude, wrong:
Result:

For the people who own the VX2235WM, does the screen turn dark or brighter when looking from a really wide viewing angle? Bright=VA, dark=TN, very very slight change (<15% brightness decrease) = S-IPS. If it looks really dark/inkblot-like at an extreme bottom viewing angle, it's definitely a TN.

The change in brightness for wide viewing angles looks pretty small to me. Looking at it from the bottom turns the picture to what looks the negative of my desktop, but brightness is still about the same.

Expect a review later today, I swear this time.

DougWD said:
Dude, wrong:
Result:

If you pay careful attention, Doug, he is saying that no one makes non-TN 22" panels. Twenty Two. Not 23 (Twenty Three) as in your example.

22" panels so far have all been 1680x1050.

23-24" panels have all been 1920x1200 and are FAR more expensive than the 22" panels - but obviously use more expensive technology.

He's not wrong.

I saw this on at Costco today. If you look straight on it looks ok. But if you deviate up or down even like a few degrees you start seeing it tinting dark. Its a VERY narrow range you have to view it in without that color distortion.

:(

No wonder manufacturers are going TN half the folks here can't even tell it's TN when it is sitting in front of them. I see quotes like it is not TN because I can't see the dithering. Great viewing angles... WTF?

TN is the easiest panel to distinguish. Go to a midtone background like www.techreport.com. Make it full screen. Now if you are on TN and notice variation, then you probably already see that the tone gets lighter as it goes down the screen and darker as it goes up. Surpise that is not a gradient, it is a solid tone. Still don't see. Scrunch down and look up, That blue getting mighty dark. Standup and it gets very light. Hello TN.

Here is a visual aid for "real world viewing angles":
http://www.behardware.com/articles/598-6/20-inches-lcd-p-mva-vs-s-ips.html
TN: relatively stable from the sides. Lightness(washout) from above, darkness from below.
PVA/MVA: Lightness(washout) from every angle.
IPS - Good stability from every angle.

Simple to see that IPS is the best. But getting harder to find because people look at price before quality.

I have the Acer 22"

Yes its a TN and yes I can see the subtle change in brightness as I change viewing angle up and down. Yes it goes really dark if I look up at it from below my desk.

But if I sit in front of it its a great gaming panel, and it cost me only $399 (some got it for $349) and it is therefore half the price of a 23" S-IPS

It's called a trade off. I'll trade 1" of screen, some colour depth, and some aspect spec for $300-350 anytime. It was an easy decision after months of research into what screen to get.

psb said:
But if I sit in front of it its a great gaming panel, and it cost me only $399 (some got it for $349) and it is therefore half the price of a 23" S-IPS

Hardly a fair comparison. More pixels cost more money. All the 1920x1200 monitor are overpriced. A Dell 2007wfp is in the price range and is S-IPS. Pixel count matters to me more than size to me. Given the choice I would prefer the smaller monitor with less visible pixels and the same pixel count.

Though I am NOT against TN. I find them better for general use than PVA/MVA because viewing angles in the horizontal are better and that is generally more important (see link above). I have owned two PVA and one TN screen. Today I only have the TN along with a CRT.

But TN has limitations. TN is horrible in portrait mode, pretty much unusable. The other drawback is color. TNs tend to have banding and some color issues. Though my TN looks great in games and if I am doing color work, I use the CRT. If I get an LCD to replace the CRT, it must be S-IPS.

IPS is coming back strong. Their response times are almost as good as the fastest TN panels now, or at least fast enough to have no ghosting in games. I just bought the Philips 230WP7ns S-IPS, which has 12ms black to black and 8ms grey to grey response times, plus the pixel pitch is better. It's a 23" monitor and it is about 900-1000 US anywhere. It's contrast ratio without overdrivng is 700:1. Incidentally, the monitor is not overdriven at all and represents real response times and contrast. Viewing angles are 178 degrees, and you can see in reviews tht the color stays spot on even at 178 degrees.

However, if I only neeeded a 23" for gaming and casual computer work, like spread sheets, email, web brosing, and general work, I'd have gotten the Viewsonic 22" TN panel at Costco for 350 US. It's fast and would be fine for gaming. However, I ahve a sneaking suspicion that if you sat in front of a IPS panel for any long duration, and then sat down in front of a TN panel, you'd be let down--until your eyes got use to it again. So yeah, less than 380 bucks for a 23" LCD for gaming, go for it. No need to waste money.

I'm a photographer, so I need to best color accuracy I can get for processing images. I also like to game casually (used to be hard core) so I wanted a fast panel too. You pay for the Ferraris.

Stay tuned. From the reseach I did, the NEW IPS panels, called Enhanced Super IPS panels from LG. Phillips are due out anytime. This is suppose to be a big breakthrough in IPS technology.

DougWD said:
Stay tuned. From the reseach I did, the NEW IPS panels, called Enhanced Super IPS panels from LG. Phillips are due out anytime. This is suppose to be a big breakthrough in IPS technology.

Not sure about Enhanced Super IPS but the A-TW-IPS panels are the newest panels out and being released at the moment. THere is a 20", 24", 26", and 30" all by LG-Philips.

Just read this which confirms panel 4 me :-
Mei Optoelectronics S-MVA panel (P/N: M220Z1-L01)
I could not find much information on the panel used in the 225BW but there is really only one 22" 5ms model on the market today: the Chi Mei Optoelectronics S-MVA panel (P/N: M220Z1-L01). This is the same panel used in the ViewSonic VX2235WM and the Acer AL2216WBD. S-MVA technology was actually developed by Chi Mei Optoelectronics and offers 8-bit color depth, wide viewing angles and high contrast ratios. Although Samsung produces their own LCD panels, the CMO S-MVA panel was likely chosen due to it's unique performance characteristics and value.

luck:)

saw this bad boy in stock at compusa today for 399.99 and let me say, these pictures do it no justice, the picture quality was far superior to that of the 205bw :eek: I really want this monitor

Hi, First post only discovered the forum 2 days ago while checking-out the ViewsonicVX2235wm.
With my limited experience i purchased this panel 2 days ago and it is very good and i only have it running at 1440/900/Analogue. Soon to be hooked up to my Mac G4.
There is the smallest,smallest amount of bleeding at the corners, the osd buttons are a bit fiddly(best use your thumbs)--No dead pixels and if any appear within fifteen days it:s covered. Great real-estate (I have to take a breather now when i empty the trash ;). The bigger fonts are a bonus for my 40yr old eyes, the black is deep and strong. This is my first LCD coming from a 19inch CRT and it has been worth the wait. This is imo a good looking monitor and suits my set-up (music software programming)
I think the metal sandwiched in between the frame helps dissipate the heat and keeps the whole panel tight, also another model is on the horizon it has an ipod dock on the front of the base. One happy customer here ;0)

Jack_Daw said:
Hi, First post only discovered the forum 2 days ago while checking-out the ViewsonicVX2235wm.
With my limited experience i purchased this panel 2 days ago and it is very good and i only have it running at 1440/900/Analogue. Soon to be hooked up to my Mac G4.
There is the smallest,smallest amount of bleeding at the corners, the osd buttons are a bit fiddly(best use your thumbs)--No dead pixels and if any appear within fifteen days it:s covered. Great real-estate (I have to take a breather now when i empty the trash ;). The bigger fonts are a bonus for my 40yr old eyes, the black is deep and strong. This is my first LCD coming from a 19inch CRT and it has been worth the wait. This is imo a good looking monitor and suits my set-up (music software programming)
I think the metal sandwiched in between the frame helps dissipate the heat and keeps the whole panel tight, also another model is on the horizon it has an ipod dock on the front of the base. One happy customer here ;0)
if you are happy running that monitor at 1440x900 then I cant imagine what you would actually be unhappy with. sorry but lcd monitors look like total shit outside of their native resolution.

^^^ Ha Ha Thanks for the warm welcome Trek.
I said i was a happy customer capice!
Take a chill pill man--Me and the Monitor are Cool.

Back