Viewsonic VP201B 20.1" 16ms LCD "Mini-Review"

can anyone answer me this, please.
i purchased viewsonic vp201 monitor and I am getting horizontal lines when I move my mice fast in fps' games and even in windows. is this due to dvi connection (which I'm not currently using) or something else?

genesee said:
can anyone answer me this, please.
i purchased viewsonic vp201 monitor and I am getting horizontal lines when I move my mice fast in fps' games and even in windows. is this due to dvi connection (which I'm not currently using) or something else?

Turn on vertical sync. It will sync your fps to your refresh rate on your monitor (60Hz) and reduce the tearing that you're seeing.

well, thanks for the info, however vsync on function did not change anything. Wired!
I still have vertical tearing picture in evey game and in windows. It is very unpleasent especially in games. I ran monitor on VGA cable 12x10 in 70hz. Is this possible because Im on VGA instead DVI? One more thing, I still have crappy geforce 2 gts card, so is that could be the reason? Well, waiting for 6800gt anyway :D

...and speaking of leakage problem on vp201, I found out that after several hours of usage the problem becomes worse. However, when I give the monitor some rest, the whole leakage kinnda disapperes. That is wired! :rolleyes:

Any input on this?

genesee said:
well, thanks for the info, however vsync on function did not change anything. Wired!
I still have vertical tearing picture in evey game and in windows. It is very unpleasent especially in games. I ran monitor on VGA cable 12x10 in 70hz. Is this possible because Im on VGA instead DVI? One more thing, I still have crappy geforce 2 gts card, so is that could be the reason? Well, waiting for 6800gt anyway :D

2 Things:
a) First, take a crap on your gf2 card and then smash it - this is probably where your problem is.
b) It's not a problem w/your vga vs. dvi cable - this has very little affect on what you see on your monitor.

It really sounds to me like it's your card. Get that 6800 gt asap.

I have a VP171b, and I'm considering upgrading to the 201b. My question is, do you get the "blue box", tells you what kind of input you are using such as Digital, every time the screen flickers to change resolutions? I hate that about my VP171b, hoping the 201b got rid of it.

xomegax said:
I have a VP171b, and I'm considering upgrading to the 201b. My question is, do you get the "blue box", tells you what kind of input you are using such as Digital, every time the screen flickers to change resolutions? I hate that about my VP171b, hoping the 201b got rid of it.

Nope....(that would be quite annoying) It only alerts you when you change from dvi to analoge

upgrade.....do it....do it now....you know you want to :D

Stangs55 said:
It really sounds to me like it's your card. Get that 6800 gt asap.

ok, but should at least in windows or older fps' games (quake3 or half-life) be "vertical tearing" ok? It is a little wired.
BTW, here in Toronto I still can't get 6800gt, so I am still waiting for shipment. However, I can get all ATI products, including 800xt PE, but the price is out of this world for now ($799 can. vs $549can. for 6800gt)

genesee said:
ok, but should at least in windows or older fps' games (quake3 or half-life) be "vertical tearing" ok? It is a little wired.
BTW, here in Toronto I still can't get 6800gt, so I am still waiting for shipment. However, I can get all ATI products, including 800xt PE, but the price is out of this world for now ($799 can. vs $549can. for 6800gt)

The tearing in windows is why I think it's the gpu going out....but you could try some newer/different drivers to see if that helps. Also make sure that you have enough power going into that card (I can't imagine how a gf2 would drain ANY psu, but that's a side affect of a starving gpu).

Stick w/the 6800 gt. Get a good brand and then consider flashing to bios to make it a 6800 ultra. Just search these forums for information on how to do this.

genesee, the tearing in windows is normal. I noticed it also on my VP171b and though it was odd when I would move a window real fast it would 'tear'. So I decided to try it on a different computer with a CRT, and it did the same thing. I don't think its the GPU, its just something normal with windows.

Should we be able to access the Auto Image Adjust and the Manual Image Adjust if using DVI? (BTW, still have those pinkish grays...they've offered to replace it a 2nd time, still considering it).

hagbard said:
Should we be able to access the Auto Image Adjust and the Manual Image Adjust if using DVI? (BTW, still have those pinkish grays...they've offered to replace it a 2nd time, still considering it).

Auto Image Adjust is not available when using dvi connection...why would it be? Dvi already adjusts size & position perfectly.

Pinkish grays are due to the monitors hardware color setting and is adjustable. Try reading the manual before popping off next time.

I first asked the question about the pinkish color last week. And no, its not adjustable, on my monitor, my grays change from gray to pink or purple as I up the contrast, based on the colour temp I set on the monitor. Colour shouldn't change at all by upping the contrast. I've been through three of these turkeys now (all had dead pixals as well) and was hoping to get a bit of help from the forum that pretty much talked me into buying one.

BTW, where in the maunal does it say anything about this? It doesn't even touch on colour temperature.

hagbard, have you called or emailed Viewsonic support about this? Just curious what they said.

hagbard said:
I first asked the question about the pinkish color last week. And no, its not adjustable, on my monitor, my grays change from gray to pink or purple as I up the contrast, based on the colour temp I set on the monitor. Colour shouldn't change at all by upping the contrast. I've been through three of these turkeys now (all had dead pixals as well) and was hoping to get a bit of help from the forum that pretty much talked me into buying one.

BTW, where in the maunal does it say anything about this? It doesn't even touch on colour temperature.

Not the printed quick start guide, the user guide on the cd; pg 10 & 11. By the way, you're doing adjustments backwards...brightness & contrast come 1st, then colors. You need to use Adobe Gamma at least, but preferably use a hardware monitor calibrator. You just can't get the right colors by eye sight alone. And yes, I did call Viewsonic about this same thing and that's exactly what they told me and the solution worked.

I'm wondering, if the S and B are the same, then why does the spec page say this:

TCO’03 and ENERGY STAR® qualified
TCO'03 for silver and TCO '99for black models.

Seems like there is more to it than just a different color plastic bezel... :confused:

Dirk

sclark10000 said:
Not the printed quick start guide, the user guide on the cd; pg 10 & 11. By the way, you're doing adjustments backwards...brightness & contrast come 1st, then colors. You need to use Adobe Gamma at least, but preferably use a hardware monitor calibrator. You just can't get the right colors by eye sight alone. And yes, I did call Viewsonic about this same thing and that's exactly what they told me and the solution worked.

To answer both of you, yes, I called Viewsonic, twice. Both times, they said it must be defective. I've now had three in a row that did the same thing. I did do contrast and brightness first, only messed with colours trying to eliminate the pinkish grays. But I don't see why changing the contrast would turn light grays into pink. If you go to this page:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/index.php?

and look down the column labeled "Last Post", you'll see the boxes are gray, but on my monitor, if I go beyond 70% in the contrast, they turn pink. This webpage is the most obvious example of what I'm speaking about. If yours remain gray, then I have gotten three defective VP201s monitors.

yossarian said:
I'm wondering, if the S and B are the same, then why does the spec page say this:

Seems like there is more to it than just a different color plastic bezel... :confused:

Dirk

Actually, no. Colour of the bazel does effect these ratings.

yossarian said:

Dirk

They are the same monitor, apart from B being black and S being silver.

The reason for the different TCO markings are exactly that - the colors. Because black distracts the eyes too much, it doesn't apply with the TCO '03 regulations.

Well my monitor took a dump last night and I am highly considering buying this monitor at Costco this week. Currently I am running an older machine with a ti4400 video card. I am planning on upgrading to a SLI capable machine (not sure if I will buy two vid cards at the get go or not). In the mean time is the ti4400 going to be enough to fully test out the LCD within the return window or should I wait until my new machine is built still a few months off. In the mean time I am running on an old POS 15 inch that is tough to live with.

hagbard said:
To answer both of you, yes, I called Viewsonic, twice. Both times, they said it must be defective. I've now had three in a row that did the same thing. I did do contrast and brightness first, only messed with colours trying to eliminate the pinkish grays. But I don't see why changing the contrast would turn light grays into pink. If you go to this page:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/index.php?

and look down the column labeled "Last Post", you'll see the boxes are gray, but on my monitor, if I go beyond 70% in the contrast, they turn pink. This webpage is the most obvious example of what I'm speaking about. If yours remain gray, then I have gotten three defective VP201s monitors.

If you had 3 of these monitors gives this effect, even after resetting to default, then the problem lies elsewhere. My guess is your video card is about ready to take a dump. Sounds like what used to happen with the old 3dFX cards right before they took a dirt nap.

Then I have two ATI cards ready to byte the big one, since I've tried it on two computers.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'd prefer the black version because I want to watch movies occasionally and the black edge blends better with the black upper and lower letterbox band. I just didn't think that would be a reason to affect a TCO rating. I've been enlightened! :D

Dirk

I just got this baby as well and i say ......OMG
AWsome :)
Its unbelivable and i want to mention it once again how the hell cool this baby handles the non native resols ..... u have to see it to belive it :)

One small compain ...i wanted black be a bit more black but i guess i can live with that :))))))))))))))))))

Cheers Viewsonic..............Cheers sandman78 for ur awsome review
helped me choose the right one :)))) (Might Viewsonic have to give u a bit of $ ) eheh j/k .

I too just got this monitor a week ago..

I had to return and exchange one due to a few bad pixels on one.. But I seem to have gotten a really good one here (knock on wood).. I went through 2 BenQ 937S Monitors and took them back both with bad pixels in bad places..

Anyhow, so far the vp201 has been amazing, but it seems to and I doubt I could ever go back to CRT. The contrast ratio may only be rated 400:1 but it stomps all over the BenQ I had for a couple days with a 500:1 ratio.. It just looks much better overall.
tor don't look too shabby when it's NOT being used in it's native resolution either..

Anyhow I am pleased so far, and think it can be had for a great deal if you look around..

Can someone comment on how games look on the Viewsonic 201B when the resolution is dropped to 1280x1024 or 1024 x 768? Do FPS games still look good?

Thanks,

-Croyd

There better then just good they look great .In any res ,Best run as DVI ..

And i am thinking of getting another one for the other computer ,Thats how great i think they are ...Man you have to get this monitor if you want to play your cool games on a TFT ,Look no more this is the one for you ... GO FOR IT ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more i would like to ask some thing my self now ,Do any of you guys on here have two of this great monitor if so can you show me your images of them side by side please...

Quick noob question about the screen door effect: will every 201B have it to the same extent? or is it a dead pixel kind of thing? I can notice the screen door effect pretty easily on my monitor and i was wondering if exchanging it would help? :(

mtn said:
Quick noob question about the screen door effect: will every 201B have it to the same extent? or is it a dead pixel kind of thing? I can notice the screen door effect pretty easily on my monitor and i was wondering if exchanging it would help? :(

ALL the LG S-SIPS panels have it. That includes the Apple Cinema 23", and the HP L2335. I spoke with Viewsonic tech support and they answered all my questions about that effect. It's due to the high speed panel. When I got mine a week ago, it drove me nuts. But after proper calibration, and some time with it, it's an awesome monitor. I use a 20.1" Graphics CRT at work and the vp201 is better in every way, brighter too.

It's like when you get a new car, you notice everything that's different, later it's all part of the package. I would've easily returned and got the HP, but really the image quality is identical, so why drop another $600 just to get the same thing (albeit a litter wider). You won't be settling for less with this one. Highly recommended.

I've been waiting to buy an LCD moniter for about... 2 years. So this moniter looks like the one I have been waiting for. I hate lugging around my big crt moniter around college, so an LCD is the way to go. I am just wondering about return policies regarding dead pixels. And what is the maximum return date for items. Just incase of some dead pixels or something else goes wrong. What is the best site to buy moniters from becaseu I have always went to BB and picked up a moniter.

logicality12 said:
I've been waiting to buy an LCD moniter for about... 2 years. So this moniter looks like the one I have been waiting for. I hate lugging around my big crt moniter around college, so an LCD is the way to go. I am just wondering about return policies regarding dead pixels. And what is the maximum return date for items. Just incase of some dead pixels or something else goes wrong. What is the best site to buy moniters from becaseu I have always went to BB and picked up a moniter.

I'm an IT consultant and go through cdw.com for stuff like this. I don't have to give them a reason for return. You might get charged $50 or so more than some other dealers, but the peace of mind and customer service is worth it. No hassles, just rma & you're done. All vp201's come with a 3 yr warranty, but there is a 8 dead pixel policy.

sclark10000 said:
ALL the LG S-SIPS panels have it. That includes the Apple Cinema 23", and the HP L2335. I spoke with Viewsonic tech support and they answered all my questions about that effect. It's due to the high speed panel. When I got mine a week ago, it drove me nuts. But after proper calibration, and some time with it, it's an awesome monitor. I use a 20.1" Graphics CRT at work and the vp201 is better in every way, brighter too.

It's like when you get a new car, you notice everything that's different, later it's all part of the package. I would've easily returned and got the HP, but really the image quality is identical, so why drop another $600 just to get the same thing (albeit a litter wider). You won't be settling for less with this one. Highly recommended.

Ahhh, alright, thanks for your help, looks like i'll be keeping this monitor :)

One more time have any of you got a this as a DUAL SETUP ...

would like to see your setup .. some images please...some here most have it ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH WELL SEEING AS NO ONE CAME BACK AND SAID THAT THEY HAD TWO OF THEM I JUST ORDERED MY SECOND ONE ..SHOULD LOOK COOL SIDE BY SIDE ...COVERING 36IN ACOSS MY DESK .. :D

can you post some windows pics to show screendoor effect ? in pictures games in first post of sandman we cant see this effect ! i think in windows mode it will be more visible ! can you do this sandman ?

i want to buy it but this effect let me in doubt ...

thanks

i just ordered this lcd in black yesterday from newegg, it came to $825 with 2-day shipping. man i cant wait to get this i am soooo STOKED! i am sitting here looking at my 20" tv and visulizing my monitor the same size, omg its gonna be huge! right now i have a 15" HD TV/LCD which is REALLY bright, i just hope this new one is as bight as the one i have now... omg i cant wait!!!! i hate sunday! fedex needs to work on sundays damnit!!

Back