Windows Vista...coming in 7 freakin versions...

I was under the impression every version will be shipped on the dvd and if you so choose to upgrade later you just buy the license and are then able to use that version, or something there'in.

Lets not forgot to blame the EU and the other anti trust suits for this. Everyone has been getting so ticked for MS bundling their software that they have to create versions with less bundled software to say "see we are giving people a choice to not use all of our software", because heaven forbid, no one can actually use google to do a search for an alternative to Windows Media Player.

So MS being a typical company tuns it around and raises prices for the fully featured product.

Im just waiting for google to come out with its own linux-based OS. If it has a vista emulator on it for games... Im there! every bit of google software I have seen fits a purpuse and works better then most retail software. They keep it simple and give you just what you need.

S1nF1xx said:
The only one who wins is MS because many customers will end up buying 2 copies of Vista. They'll buy the standard el cheapo one, and realize they want another feature and have to buy another copy.

This really pisses me off. If Ramna Sao is reading this please tell your bosses I told them to fuck off. :D

Actually, they have streamlined the process of financial rape: You don't actually have to go out and buy another version, there is a built in wizard that will help you purchase an upgrade (probably 3/4 the price of the version) and will let you install all the stuff from the DVD you purchased. Actually, I bet the only difference will be in (A) the boxes they put them in and (B) the license key included with the OS.

It is pretty simple really..

------------
versions you don't need to care about
------------
(Vista) Tablet -> For Tablet PC's
Starter -> For emerging markets (you will not find this in Canada, USA, UK). This verison only lets you run four applications at once.
(Vista) ?? - N -> These versions are only for sale in Europe, they are due to the European Commision anti-trust stuff. I know the version is stupid, MS knows, EC politicians and those selling other OS's love em. This is not going to be for sale in Canada, USA.

-------------
for home
-------------
Home Basic - Doesn't have AERO, doesn't have media center. (If you don't use media center and like a fast, tweaked system for games.. this is probably it.)

Home Premium - Everything in Basic plus AERO and Media Center, and a few other wiz bangs.

Ultimate - Everything in Premium plus things added in for home content creation, etc (aimed at the 'I want everything' enthusiast)

-----------------------
For buisnesses
-----------------------
Small buisness - Aimed at small buisnesses, with small networks. Includes simple tools for maintaining the machines without dedecated IT people.

Professional - For large buisnesses with a dedicated IT person. Includes AERO, networking and other stuff to make buisness things easier.

Enterprise - Aimed at volume licence customers. (government etc). Looks exactly like Professional but only availible in volume.

--------------------
Notes:
--------------------
You can simply go out and buy 'Basic' for all your home pc's. Thanks to MS going back and re-starting Vista half way through the cycle, the did at least one smart thing and semi-modularized it. So you can go online and buy a upgrade to your current version (they better make it a base+upgrade='the bigger version' cost) and simply upgrade off the dvd that you bought.
MS also better (and I expect them to) include the x32 and x64 versions in the same box. There are far too many people out there that have simply no clue what the difference is nor what their computer is.

So lots of versions: yes. But I don't buy buisness. There are alot of people with older pc's for surfing the web etc that don't need aero or a good video card (ie: anything with intel integrated graphics). The other versions are simply for what you want to do. For IT you don't generally suggest home versions.

Microsoft is a company so out of touch with reality that its simply staggering.

im sticking to my 'acquired' version of xp pro/corporate/MCE/OEM.

FUCK you microshit. you and your vista can suck it. i will NEVER switch... ever. i dont play games, i dont update, i dont need your bullshit.

i was still running SP1 on windows home until i got this 'acquired' version which has slipstreamed sp2.

loooool angry people...

I en't buying NOTHING t'ill they release Direct X10 microsoft isen't getthing a nickle for me untill then.

(bye bye bill gates hello who ever is gonna take over in 2008)

viper650 said:
im sticking to my pirated version of xp pro/corporate/MCE/OEM.

FUCK you microshit. you and your vista can suck it. i will NEVER switch... ever. i dont play games, i dont update, i dont need your bullshit.

i was still running SP1 on windows home until i got this pirated version which has slipstreamed sp2.

Don't stop there man! Show them how much they totally suck, perhaps by writing them an e-mail from your M$ OS! Or perhapys you can use your M$ OS to post your inciteful info on many other forums! Or better yet, use your M$ OS and your easy to use printer drivers (thanks to those M$ bastards!) to print out a big-ass sign and march on Redmond! You have what it takes to stick it to the man that provides you the OS you use daily!!1!!1!oneoneONE

AlphexHunter said:
loooool angry people...

I en't buying NOTHING t'ill they release Direct X10 microsoft isen't getthing a nickle for me untill then.

(bye bye bill gates hello who ever is gonna take over in 2008)

You are aware that DX10 will be in Vista and be Vista only, right?

FalconSS said:
Im just waiting for google to come out with its own linux-based OS. If it has a vista emulator on it for games... Im there! every bit of google software I have seen fits a purpuse and works better then most retail software. They keep it simple and give you just what you need.

I have a feeling MacOs will the the real competitor eventually as a stand alone OS.

OldPueblo said:
Don't stop there man! Show them how much they totally suck, perhaps by writing them an e-mail from your M$ OS! Or perhapys you can use your M$ OS to post your inciteful info on many other forums! Or better yet, use your M$ OS and your easy to use printer drivers (thanks to those M$ bastards!) to print out a big-ass sign and march on Redmond! You have what it takes to stick it to the man that provides you the OS you use daily!!1!!1!oneoneONE

I have never laughed so hard. So true OldPueblo so true.

If you can't have a discussion without admitting to piracy, then please take it somewhere else, because honestly, no one cares so you can keep your e-peen to yourself.

I think everything will be determined by price of vista. If it is cheap like less than 100 dollars for retail version. Most users will upgrade right away.

zone_86 said:
I have a feeling MacOs will the the real competitor eventually as a stand alone OS.

Right you are. As the owner of an Apple Powerbook, a custom H20 system, and a test rig with Vista Beta installed, it is obvious that M$ is trying to emulate the Mac OS in every possible way, but in a M$ way if you get myu meaning. From what I have seen from the Vista beta so far, it does just seem like a polished version of XP. And it does seem like they're trying to integrate everything together (i.e. photo fix options in the library). I haven't seen the pretty Aero look since the test rig is running on integrated graphics, but I've seen some coverage on the Aero interface and the new desktop "gadgets". It's clearly an attempt to match the intuitveness of OSX.

Personally, I don't think I'll upgrade to Vista until support for XP goes away completely. I've got my XP copy the way I want it, slipstreamed and slimmed down.

On the other hand, dual-booting a new Mac Pro (when they come out) with Vista and OS Leopard, well that might be something I'd try. Maybe.

Scroatdog said:
Right you are. As the owner of an Apple Powerbook, a custom H20 system, and a test rig with Vista Beta installed, it is obvious that M$ is trying to emulate the Mac OS in every possible way, but in a M$ way if you get myu meaning. From what I have seen from the Vista beta so far, it does just seem like a polished version of XP. And it does seem like they're trying to integrate everything together (i.e. photo fix options in the library). I haven't seen the pretty Aero look since the test rig is running on integrated graphics, but I've seen some coverage on the Aero interface and the new desktop "gadgets". It's clearly an attempt to match the intuitveness of OSX.

Personally, I don't think I'll upgrade to Vista until support for XP goes away completely. I've got my XP copy the way I want it, slipstreamed and slimmed down.

On the other hand, dual-booting a new Mac Pro (when they come out) with Vista and OS Leopard, well that might be something I'd try. Maybe.

I used to use Mac OS X at work. It was great, but it is not going to replace window due to its price.

Back