x1900xt Overclocking

either your card is a dud or its not getting enough juice from the power supply ,

i've maxed out the ati overdrive 690/800 on stock voltages, so did pretty much everyone else that owns the card ,

whos the manufacturer of your card?

bobrownik said:
either your card is a dud or its not getting enough juice from the power supply ,

i've maxed out the ati overdrive 690/800 on stock voltages, so did pretty much everyone else that owns the card ,

whos the manufacturer of your card?

I have an Enermax Liberty 620w and all rails are rock solid and supply slightly more voltage than nominal. I don't have millions of devices plugged in, so it should be more than adequate. The card's a Sapphire, as I thought they were one of the better vendors. I think I may have a dud, but I'll try the other PCI-E connector and cable and see if it helps.

Digital Viper-X- said:
since you have the -11 chips why dont u try flashing to xtx?

As I can't reach stock XT-X speeds on core or memory I'm not really happy about trying that. I don't understand how I'm topping out at 763 on the memory - X1800XT's go higher than that using 1.26ns chips. Maybe due to poor yields on 1.1ns parts the chip makers are sending out dud modules? Even the aforementioned chips are rated to ~800MHz.

Ricewind - Are you using the ATITool to overclock or the CCC overdrive? If you're using the ATITool, make sure that you up the voltage a little on the memory, as it's probably using the 2D voltages (posted in the thread earlier). If you'd like, post the voltage readings off the ATITool and we can probably tell you if they are correct for 3D mode, and you can start overclocking from there.

Also, yes sapphire is a notable brand, as they make most if not all of ATIs retail cards. It's always possible to get a board that doesn't overclock well as others, but I think you may be running lower voltages :)

Digital Viper-X- said:
I have no problem running my machine on an Enermax Liberty 500 =p including 2 hds, 4 120mm fans dvdrw =D
I'm just about to fire off an order for one of those right now. Actually the 620W model. I have yet to run into any problems with an Enermax PSU.

I tried to OC using ATI tool and the settings are overrided by the ATI driver when I try to do any testing. I killed those atie...exe processes and I still coulded get the damn thing to OC while in a 3D app. I was able to monitor for artifacts and frame rate using that windows with the hairy cube but I can't get the clocks to work in an app. To make matters worse, Overdrive is doing nothing. I confirmed this by running the bench at various above stock levels and my 3D Mark scores never improved. I got my highest score of 9981 after I reinstalled my drivers and didn't enable overdrive.

I was able to run 690/800 at 1.45v/2.2v. I got it as high as 705/812 but it started getting crazy and I wasn't too sure if I should try to raise the voltage any more on the memory. Does anyone know what the tolerances are for the chips used on the 1900XT? I noticed a substantial jump in frame rate within the fuzzy cube window when I made the clock change. I tested for artifacts and didn't find any after about 15 minutes of letting it run. It would be nice to actually play a game with that OC.

I'm basically trying to get the best minimum frame rate that I can from this card. Black and White 2 can still get slightly choppy in some views and I want to minimize that.

I really should be happy that my card out of the box tramples my old 850XT but I can't get past the fact that I can't OC this bitch.

Rocco123 said:
Ricewind - Are you using the ATITool to overclock or the CCC overdrive? If you're using the ATITool, make sure that you up the voltage a little on the memory, as it's probably using the 2D voltages (posted in the thread earlier). If you'd like, post the voltage readings off the ATITool and we can probably tell you if they are correct for 3D mode, and you can start overclocking from there.

Also, yes sapphire is a notable brand, as they make most if not all of ATIs retail cards. It's always possible to get a board that doesn't overclock well as others, but I think you may be running lower voltages :)

Overdrive crashes spectacularly, so I am using ATITool. I have upped the VGPU to 1.45v and the two memory voltages to 2.25v and still can't break 631/763, which also works fine at 1.375v core and 2.09v mem (default 3d voltages I believe). I can take mem to 781 if I don't o/c the core and the core does 647 if I don't o/c the mem. So maybe there is a heat issue after all, like bad heatsink contact? I get MAJOR artifacts when it locks up btw.

Should I be changing both memory voltages, and what about the last voltage? I haven't moved that, as I don't know what it's for.

tesfaye said:
I tried to OC using ATI tool and the settings are overrided by the ATI driver when I try to do any testing. I killed those atie...exe processes and I still coulded get the damn thing to OC while in a 3D app. I was able to monitor for artifacts and frame rate using that windows with the hairy cube but I can't get the clocks to work in an app. To make matters worse, Overdrive is doing nothing. I confirmed this by running the bench at various above stock levels and my 3D Mark scores never improved. I got my highest score of 9981 after I reinstalled my drivers and didn't enable overdrive.

I was able to run 690/800 at 1.45v/2.2v. I got it as high as 705/812 but it started getting crazy and I wasn't too sure if I should try to raise the voltage any more on the memory. Does anyone know what the tolerances are for the chips used on the 1900XT? I noticed a substantial jump in frame rate within the fuzzy cube window when I made the clock change. I tested for artifacts and didn't find any after about 15 minutes of letting it run. It would be nice to actually play a game with that OC.

I'm basically trying to get the best minimum frame rate that I can from this card. Black and White 2 can still get slightly choppy in some views and I want to minimize that.

I really should be happy that my card out of the box tramples my old 850XT but I can't get past the fact that I can't OC this bitch.

Weird, I'm getting just over 11k at stock. I do have an x2 3800+ at 2.7GHz, but seems weird that it could give me over 1,000 points more than you. What processor are you running? It may be that OD is actually lowering your clocks due to temps??

Heat - Possibility. Have you taken off the stock cooler? Sometimes the heat pads on the stock cooler and really poorly placed. What are your temps? The GPU temps might clue you in on if the heatsink is placed properly.

I'm assuming you've tried adjusting fan speed to keep temps down>?

Rocco123 said:
Heat - Possibility. Have you taken off the stock cooler? Sometimes the heat pads on the stock cooler and really poorly placed. What are your temps? The GPU temps might clue you in on if the heatsink is placed properly.

I'm assuming you've tried adjusting fan speed to keep temps down>?

Yup, had the fan running 100%. Just ran 3dMark'05 and the fan didn't even spin up to audible levels, so it doesn't seem like heat is the problem. That really leaves me confused as to why the core and memory won't overclock in unison.

Folks do not use AtiOverclocker. It loosens the ram timings to crap. Best bet is to use AtiTool beta 12b. Here is a step by step.

1) Disable the Ati Hotkey Poller service.
2) Set voltages in Ati tool to vgpu 1.4, mvddc 2.097, mvddq 2.097, vddci 1.475 , this is my setup for water.
3) I believe AtiTool has a bug and will not store the vddci voltage after a reboot. On my system it sets it at 1.3xxvolts which is not stable in 3d at all. Still investigating this.

Using above settings, I would say all x1900 card will hit a minimum of 675 core and 830 memory. Remember the timings for ram are much much tighter than on the x1800 so ram will not clock as high. But performance will still be higher than running with loose timings...

rincewind said:
Weird, I'm getting just over 11k at stock. I do have an x2 3800+ at 2.7GHz, but seems weird that it could give me over 1,000 points more than you. What processor are you running? It may be that OD is actually lowering your clocks due to temps??
That sounds about right for 2.7 GHZ. Here are my scores for 3D Mark05. These are at stock GPU and Mem speeds.

2GHZ - 8661
2.34GHZ - 9991

plywood99 said:
1) Disable the Ati Hotkey Poller service.
2) Set voltages in Ati tool to vgpu 1.4, mvddc 2.097, mvddq 2.097, vddci 1.475 , this is my setup for water.
3) I believe AtiTool has a bug and will not store the vddci voltage after a reboot. On my system it sets it at 1.3xxvolts which is not stable in 3d at all. Still investigating this.
Thanks for that.

Finaly got this thing past the CCC limits. 06>6199 05>12292

I found dropping the memory voltage actually made it more stable, weird. All on air.

Finally up to 685/756 without issue :)
Think my BJ11 modules aren't fit to be labelled as such :mad:

Lowering the VDDCI from 1.498v (default) to 1.475v seemed to help. Using 1.4v VGPU and 2.094v for both memory sliders.

BUT, the damn card's drawing 32.7A according to ATiTool. I read that crossfire draw is 'approaching 35A', so this is freaking me out. Does anyone know if the reading is actually total rail draw, or is it just the gpu like the tooltip states? And what readings are you guys seeing?? Whoa, just noticed it flick up to 35.5A and then dip down to 10A before returning to 32.7A. Scary.

EDIT: Can't actually run anything at those clocks. That's kind of an issue ;)
645/740 won't run 3dMark either, so I'm not even bothering to OC. I can get like 10MHz out of the core and memory, whoopee-do. Not worth the effort.TBH I'm concerned that this card is going to have stability issues, as it seems to be clocked right near it's limit.

XT-X cores *are* cherry picked, clearly. But why did I have to get shitty memory chips as well. I can't believe how pissed off this card has made me. It tramples my GTX, but I have a need to overclock that this card can't deliver. It's gotta go.

rincewind said:
I can't believe how pissed off this card has made me. It tramples my GTX, but I have a need to overclock that this card can't deliver. It's gotta go.
Yup. Same here. It's sooooo much better than my 850XT but I won't be happy unless I can overclock it.

tesfaye said:
Yup. Same here. It's sooooo much better than my 850XT but I won't be happy unless I can overclock it.

It's weird ain't it - when you can't squeeze any extra out of a processor, you feel cheated somehow. I expected some headroom, especially with it being the slower version. When there wasn't any, the fact that it's a great card didn't matter anymore.

Before you all return your "lousy clocking" cards, be patient. X1900 series really is a different beast from other video cards, even from the x1800 series. They require more touch, or skill so to speak. Plus better tools for clocking will show up shortly, cards only been out a couple weeks. All the overclocking tools right now are buggy and not fully supporting x1900...

plywood99 said:
Before you all return your "lousy clocking" cards, be patient. X1900 series really is a different beast from other video cards, even from the x1800 series. They require more touch, or skill so to speak. Plus better tools for clocking will show up shortly, cards only been out a couple weeks. All the overclocking tools right now are buggy and not fully supporting x1900...
Heheh, my 1900XT isn't going anywhere! lol. I reinstalled the drivers again and I OC'd to 650/775. This time I noticed an improvement. Nothing earth shattering but I am pissed that the OD tool maxed the settings at 689/796 but when I try to benchmark with those clock rates the machine crashes. However I am patient and can live (for now) with ONLY XTX speeds.

You guys got your stock fan still? And you're running it 70%+?

plywood99 said:

I'm still waiting on a decent oc'n tool for the x1800's.... It's always a bit hit and miss whether the things are going to work, etc.

This may have been covered before, but if not, it might be useful.

As luck would have it, what with re-installing the new x1900XTX drivers (Connect3D) and uninstalling ATI Tool to see what Overdrive would do, I ended up in a situation where Overdrive had it's 2D turned off and was running 3D clocks (690/790 or so) all the time.

I then installed ATI Tool without rebooting and was able to see the voltages as follows:

VGPU: 1.425
MVDDC: 2.086
MVDDQ: 2.086
VDDCI: 1.347

After rebooting (and changing nothing else) ATI Tool showed the voltages as:

VGPU: 1.175
MVDDC: 2.086
MVDDQ: 2.086
VDDCI: 1.486

With clocks of 500/600.

So I can only assume the first set are the default 3D voltages on this card.

This means VDDCI is being lowered quite a bit during 3D.

I've so far managed to get the card to 700/800 in ATI Tool with the first set of voltages just by popping in the numbers. 3DMark 05 verifies an improvement.

I'll now go off and try a bit higher.

I hope this is of some use to some of you.

Nemesis - Thanks! These reference voltages are exactly what I was looking for! (for 3D mode). This should help all of us greatly!

As you can see, I finally got my card, I didn't want to fiddle with it for a few days to make sure all was well (after getting 2 dud X1800XLs in the past).

It at least gives us an interesting avenue for investigation.

plywood99 said:

Considering the fact that everyone else is managing to use ATiTool for overclocking, the reality is that I have a dud. Well, a poor overclocker anyway - it's not fair to call working card a dud.
I can use ATiTool no problem, just can't actually get any significant increase that actually works. I must have re-booted my box at least 50 times trying to tweak this card, and it just isn't having it. The fact that OverDrive crashes as well doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this situation will change.

OK, results after a "little playing".

I found that the max I could go on the core was ~720, I did get 730 but had to up the fan to unpleasant levels. The core will need to wait for some water. It also seemed much the same whether at 1.425v per what is supposedly the default 3D and 1.4v. So I left it at 1.4v.

RAM does not want to go over ~810 with wither a tiny bit more or less voltage so I am leaving it alone for now too.

I've set 2D (with ATI Tool) at 500/600 with the lower of the VDDCI and the 1.175 volt VGPU.

I'm happy enough with that for now.

I thought you couldn't set 2d/3d with atitool. Thought you had to disable the services and you get one speed all the time?

Jodiuh said:
I thought you couldn't set 2d/3d with atitool. Thought you had to disable the services and you get one speed all the time?
With the x1900XT's and b12 of ATI tool the 3D detection sorta works but crashes more often than not. I disabled the ATI Poller service and it worked a couple of times. It's REALLY buggy. The best thing is to use it at one setting only. That doesn't work for me. I don't want to hear the fan at 65% while I'm browsing or working. Even with 3D detection disabled loading different profiles resulted in crashes and hangs.

rincewind said:
Considering the fact that everyone else is managing to use ATiTool for overclocking, the reality is that I have a dud. Well, a poor overclocker anyway - it's not fair to call working card a dud.
I can use ATiTool no problem, just can't actually get any significant increase that actually works. I must have re-booted my box at least 50 times trying to tweak this card, and it just isn't having it. The fact that OverDrive crashes as well doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this situation will change.

Once again, there is more to overclocking than just the card. Do you have a good strong power supply???

plywood99 said:
Once again, there is more to overclocking than just the card. Do you have a good strong power supply???

Hell yeah - Enermax Liberty 620w ;)

Got 500 points extra in 2k5 from Cat6.2b, so if I could manage a half-decent overclock I would break the 12k barrier (I'm only 450 points away).Initially I'd hoped for 13k with new drivers + overclock, but I know that's not happening now.

I find it quite ironic that the new drivers ID my card as an XTX :p

Having now played COD2 and FEAR, I'm not returning this. The GTX sucked at both of these games, but they play brilliantly on this card with higher AA levels to boot.

rincewind said:
Having now played COD2 and FEAR, I'm not returning this. The GTX sucked at both of these games, but they play brilliantly on this card with higher AA levels to boot.

So true. I've still got issues with F.E.A.R., but COD2 (Aside from setting affinity) ran great @ 1680x1050 with 4xAA and high details.

Jodiuh said:
So true. I've still got issues with F.E.A.R., but COD2 (Aside from setting affinity) ran great @ 1680x1050 with 4xAA and high details.

What problems are you having with FEAR? I only ran through the first couple of stretches, but I haven't noticed anything amiss yet. It sucks that COD2 doesn't like dual-core - took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get past the initial training when I first played it :eek:

3D detection in ATI Tool 12b is working perfectly for me. No problems at all so far.

Mind you I've only been playing the Cinematic HL2 and tried the demo of Stalin Subway (the latter seems to be pretty crappy as a game (seemed a lot like Iron Storm but less good) but ran very smoothly at 1600x1200 with all on max inc soft shadows.

rincewind said:
What problems are you having with FEAR? I only ran through the first couple of stretches, but I haven't noticed anything amiss yet. It sucks that COD2 doesn't like dual-core - took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get past the initial training when I first played it :eek:

With F.E.A.R, I have these nasty warbling/warping/shimmering textures just in front of my player. They move along with my character and really piss me off :( Also, I seem to be having issues with the AA not doing what it should. It seems certain items just don't recieve it and blink/sparkle/flicker. Usually it's found on railings/cubicle borders/etc.

Now I 'm really not sure if it's the card or the widescreen monitor I picked up yesterday. Like a good boy, I switched to WS and installed the beta 6.2's in one fell swoop. :rolleyes:

Also, I thought I played COD2 fine on my X2 3800 7800GTX without hitching. I've got the driver and hotfix installed on the opty, but it needs the affinity set for sure. This seems odd, cause I installed a "dual core" patch, lol! Stupid intel...they admit their tech was rushed and who does infinity ward mod for...

Where's the love for AMD?!

As usual, game sponsorship belongs to the highest bidder. Extreme Edition ads are in the CoD2 box as well. No biggie.

Ther patch boosts AMD too though.

its a good thing amd puts the money where it counts , in the cpu developement ,

unlike intel , which blows a lot of it on advertising which also makes their cpus blow

Slightly OT, yet relevant.

Does anyone with an Intel rig wanna chime in with whether or not they need to set affinity? I've not used an Intel Dual Core, so I'm not up to speed.

Also, do any of you AMD users get away without setting affinity for COD2?

Back