x1900xt Overclocking

i decided to do one more FEAR benchmark with the retail copy ,

this was done with system in sig , retail game with the 1.2 patch, the card
running 690/800 clocks on stock cooling ,fan 90%, driver from the CD

settings : 16x12 with EVERYTHING MAXED

4xAA, 16xAF, SoftShadows On

by the way ........dont benchmark fear with the VSYNC enabled , it will drop the scores by a LOT

I just did some messing around with the voltages to figure some stuff out

first finding, if you change the last voltage(says its vddci) and lower it to 1.35, you wont be able to push your memory even to 800mhz, It took me a few reboots to figure it out =) i left it at default 2D of 1.486 and got 850 out of my ram, i changed my vcore to 1.475 and left mem at stock ran it at 720/850 stock cooling ;)

got my cpu to 2.88ghz on air too =p but very cold air, i opened my window up and pointed a fan at my pc with the side panel off, even the power regs were running cool at like 45-50deg while doing 3d view, vs low 30s during 2d, my room was close to 10deg C to run this =D my cpu at 2.88 was running at about 32deg under full load 1.525v

CPU 2.88Ghz 320x9
VC : 720 core 850Mem
Voltages 1.475core / 2.086 both mem / default VDDCI

here is the result =p im gonna WC this pc soon so we'll see if i can break this #
sorry the pic isnt centered to show temps and whatnot i was a bit tired and MS paint ownd my face!
btw the card pulled 35.5A at these settings, i wonder if my PSU is starting to buckle under that kinda load
13k8nt.jpg

Digital Viper-X- said:
...if you change the last voltage(says its vddci) and lower it to 1.35, you wont be able to push your memory even to 800mhz, It took me a few reboots to figure it out =) i left it at default 2D of 1.486 and got 850 out of my ram, i changed my vcore to 1.475 and left mem at stock ran it at 720/850 stock cooling ;)

Excellent info bro. Not a bad run either. ;)

6.2's are out...ati.com

Jodiuh said:
Excellent info bro. Not a bad run either. ;)

6.2's are out...ati.com

just got them =) but to do that run again on air ineed to use my big ass fan and make my room really cool :S i dunno if i wanna lol

ordering WC parts so maybe in a week i can do it under normal room temps =p

Any one know the max safe volts for the GPU core? I have water cooling, temps are fine up to 1.55(Max I dare to go). So far I can "only" get 738Mhz on GPU, havent tried to overclock ram yet, as I dont have heatsinks on all of them(Barbs are in the way.)

Voltage Regulators are showing 88c. :eek: Is that normal? My 3d mark score seems a little weak. ~10,000 for 05. But... My cpu isnt overclocked yet... and my ram is at 333Mhz... :rolleyes:

What is every one else getting with water cooled X1900XTX. Temps are 33c idle and 46c load, which is pretty good I think.(Stock volts and 690Mhz GPU). Didnt see much of a change of temps when increasing volts and speed.

From what I am hearing about fan noise and high temps, I am glad I decided to WC it. :D

On my X1900XTX I can get to 700/800 with the core on just 1.4V and VDDCI at the 1.35v setting.

I've got it to 720/830 with 1.425 and 1.486 or whatever it is but it locks up after a few mins even at 100% fan. I'm going to wait until my water block arrives, I ordered an Innovatek Cool-Matic as it will cool the RAM and power block too. That should keep as much heat out of the case and give max OC.

I mainly want it to reduce the noise though so I'll not be too upset if I don't get much further. ;)

So anyone that's flashed the XT to XTX see increased mem oc? Anything like the 6800 days with ultra lowerin lats?

Further to my original posting on voltages.

I've just installed Cat. 6.2 and now the VDDCI is showing as 1.486 as the default 3D.

To clarify:

VGPU: 1.425

MVDDC: 2.086

MVDDQ: 2.086

VDDCI: 1.486

just got my XT in today, and already flashed to XTX. I already maxed out the Overdrive so far. I have alot of work to do with ATI Tool soon. Too bad im gonna be CPU limited with my 165 at 2.6Ghz...

X1900XT%20WC.jpg

Budwise said:
atm, 29C idle, 38C full load at 700/800.

Wow! I lost all my goodies to a stupid water attack from the fire sprinkler, but THIS makes me wanna go water!

Jodiuh said:
Wow! I lost all my goodies to a stupid water attack from the fire sprinkler, but THIS makes me wanna go water!

Just be warned, once you go water, you'll never go back.... :D

Okay... an update on my overclocking venture. I maxed out the gpu core volts, and hit 765Mhz with no artififacts, sorry, no 3dmark run yet. At 770Mhz it crashed. :(

Voltage regulators got up to 96c according to ati tool. :eek: I have ramsinks on them....

Temps were still 45c load at those speeds.

Havent tried to overclock ram yet, I think it runs at 800Mhz no problem. Gotta modify the rest of my ramsinks to fit on the 3 peices of ram under the water block barbs.

3dmark 05 was at 10,600 at 725/775. No pics yet... They will come after I find max on ram. :D

I am very happy with these results so far. Should I be? :)

right now i get 12144 with the card @ 690/800

so 10600 @ 725/775 seems kind of weird

whats your cpu speed and ram speed?

bobrownik said:
right now i get 12144 with the card @ 690/800

so 10600 @ 725/775 seems kind of weird

whats your cpu speed and ram speed?
2400 Mhz Clawhammer, havent tried overclocking yet.
Ram is at 200Mhz, its capable of 250.

No overclocking on cpu or ram yet. Ntune says I dont have a PCI lock... Still have to figure it out.

Might need to update mobo drivers to.

I got my gpu ram up to 820Mhz I think. That was this morning. Cant remember for sure. i tried to bump of the core back to 750, it crashed... It worked the night before... :rolleyes:

If you buy 3dmark, can you only run GPU tests? And not have to wait through the pointless CPU tests??

plywood99 said:
Just be warned, once you go water, you'll never go back.... :D

Is it kinda like widescreen? Cause I just made that switch and I'm in love! Would you recommend a good starter water kit? I'm currently using a ninja to cool the cpu with a low cfm fan. Also, my case is the stacker 810. Thanks!

Damn! We're OT, lol!

L1ght said:
Okay... an update on my overclocking venture. I maxed out the gpu core volts, and hit 765Mhz with no artififacts, sorry, no 3dmark run yet. At 770Mhz it crashed. :(

Voltage regulators got up to 96c according to ati tool. :eek: I have ramsinks on them....

Temps were still 45c load at those speeds.

Havent tried to overclock ram yet, I think it runs at 800Mhz no problem. Gotta modify the rest of my ramsinks to fit on the 3 peices of ram under the water block barbs.

3dmark 05 was at 10,600 at 725/775. No pics yet... They will come after I find max on ram. :D

I am very happy with these results so far. Should I be? :)

Verrrry nice OC man! kinda scary you can almost boil water on your voltage regs...but oh well. :p keep up the good work!

toymachineman19 said:
Verrrry nice OC man! kinda scary you can almost boil water on your voltage regs...but oh well. :p keep up the good work!

Thanks. Im trying to overclock my cpu now, so as soon as I find the max Ill run 3dmark and post a screen shot here. :D

at 2770 BTW. (1.85 Volts) :cool:

EDIT:

Jodiuh said:
Is it kinda like widescreen? Cause I just made that switch and I'm in love! Would you recommend a good starter water kit? I'm currently using a ninja to cool the cpu with a low cfm fan. Also, my case is the stacker 810. Thanks!

Damn! We're OT, lol!
Whatever you do, dont get 1/2 ID tubing, that stuff is hell to bend. Go 3/8 ID 1/2 OD.

Danger Den DDC
Danger TDX or Swiftech Storm
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU, or a Danger Den Full Coverage Block.
120.2 Rad(120.3 would be best)
Swiftech Micro Res.
Tygon 3/8 ID 1/2 OD

Yeah... a little OT... But not really.

Jodiuh said:

Damn! We're OT, lol!

Any of the quality kits out there will serve you fine. Just don't get the crap brands, aka thermaltake, kingwin, evercool, gigabyte. Stick to DD, swiftech, AlphaCool, Asetek etc...

Back OT, it will improve your x1900 clocks a good amount... :D

Damn, I was hoping someone would say...the bigwater!! All the biggies look tough and pricey.

My Sapphire X1900 XT I thought would run XTX speeds no problem. I gave up with CCC overdrive as it takes an age to auto clock itself (maybe try again later). I dived straight in and set the 3D clocks to 650 / 1550 no problem. I ran COD2 and within a minute or so the artifacts showed up all over the place so I reset the clocks to default XT again. All the time the card has been using the default fan settings.

What I dont want is the fan at 100% all of the time.

Is there any way to overclock the 3D clocks to XTX speed and still have the fan at a reasonable volume? Surely the XTX's dont run at 100% fan speed at default clocks?

When I run COD2 I just get the odd change in fan speed (hear the fan noise increasing and decreasing all the time. Is this the same with the default XTX clocks or is the fan whirring away at 100% during this game?

Also, I was thinking of flashing by XT BIOS to XTX. I would like to know if the BIOS holds the relevent GPU and MEM voltages etc?

Any help appreciated.

I

ChrisUK said:
My Sapphire X1900 XT I thought would run XTX speeds no problem. I gave up with CCC overdrive as it takes an age to auto clock itself (maybe try again later). I dived straight in and set the 3D clocks to 650 / 1550 no problem. I ran COD2 and within a minute or so the artifacts showed up all over the place so I reset the clocks to default XT again. All the time the card has been using the default fan settings.

What I dont want is the fan at 100% all of the time.

Is there any way to overclock the 3D clocks to XTX speed and still have the fan at a reasonable volume? Surely the XTX's dont run at 100% fan speed at default clocks?

When I run COD2 I just get the odd change in fan speed (hear the fan noise increasing and decreasing all the time. Is this the same with the default XTX clocks or is the fan whirring away at 100% during this game?

Also, I was thinking of flashing by XT BIOS to XTX. I would like to know if the BIOS holds the relevent GPU and MEM voltages etc?

Any help appreciated.

I

Looks like you might have a failed XTX, same as me (at least that's my presumption). I wasted a few days trying to oc it and getting pissed off when it wouldn't. Then I just decided to get on with it and enjoy some gaming - I'm still a bit peeved about my lame clocks, but everything is running sweet as a nut so....
My advice is enjoy the card for what it is.

Think mines a dud too. Auto detects to 641 core. A little more clocks manually and my system will crash. It's a sapphire XT OEM.

I've also moved onto gaming instead. See how the waterblock does next weekend or so. Excited about these easy as pie voltage tweaks though.

I'm going to run the CCC overdrive again and see what it comes up with. I could use my Asetek VGA block on it but I really dont want to go into that kind of cooling on my card (leave that to CPU only).

So far no one has answered my question though about voltages and BIOS.

1) Are the voltages of the XT and XTX determined in the BIOS and
2) Do the two cards use exactly the same voltages?

If the answer is BIOS related then maybe I'll try the BIOS flash to XTX, if it isnt then I might just ditch this Sapphire and get an XTX instead.

Any particular brand better than any other?

THX

PS. I'm just wondering if reaplying the cooler etc might help a bit, might try that too.

pretty sure XT and XTX voltages are different
if you want to flash your card first check to see if you have the BJ11 ram if so then you can probably flash or try to

That was a fast reply!!

When I tried manually entering the XTX clock speeds on my XT didnt like it too much when running COD2. This is the reason I was asking if the voltages were different. I guessed if the gpu needed more voltage and I wasnt giving it then that would explain the problem.

I'm gonna run overdrive and see what that gives me then take the card out and check the memory (I thought all current XT/XTX's came with 1.1ns memory right now.

I've already lined up another purchase for an XTX so the results of the next few tests mean whether this card comes or goes.

Cheers

Back