XBOX 360 HD-DVD + PC = Success!

pshh.. Usenet has such a low selection of HD content. You need to go private tracker. ;)

Heh, I am not l337 or [H]ard enough to find the right trackers. HDbits is supposed to be great, but they are closed to new people.

Heh, I am not l337 or [H]ard enough to find the right trackers. HDbits is supposed to be great, but they are closed to new people.
HDbits is where I stay. Simply the best for HD content. There is no other that even comes close. :)

hi, can I have an invitation to there?

I can give you one for demonoid.

thanks.

We are full. No invites at the moment. Go to the Free Stuff forum here for invites.

I've read the whole thread, and I think I'm way just a little more before I jump into the whole HD thing. Do you know of any other place to get HD movies? I'm currently trying out mininova, but is not good selection.:( Currently downloading Over The Hedge in WMV-HD, I'm see how it turns out.

Illegal downloading isn't condoned on [H]ardForums. I can tell you one thing though.. downloaded high def re-encodes of movies don't stand a chance to HDDVD or Blu-ray, especially ones on public trackers because most people don't know how to encode properly. A 1080p ESIR re-encode might be as close as you'll get to HDDVD or Blu-ray. He's the best.

Keep checking back in the Free Stuff subforum in the HotDeals section. ;)

Illegal downloading isn't condoned on [H]ardForums. I can tell you one thing though.. downloaded high def re-encodes of movies don't stand a chance to HDDVD or Blu-ray, especially ones on public trackers because most people don't know how to encode properly. A 1080p ESIR re-encode might be as close as you'll get to HDDVD or Blu-ray. He's the best.

Oh, I already have the movie. I have it on DVD. I just though that If I download in HD it would look better, or would it still look the same since is not full HD DVD?. Does this still count as illegal?

720p (and I assume 1080i) blows away DVD. The difference is immediately noticeable, even for poorly shot films. 1080p, if it's a good conversion, is even better still if your monitor is good.

I'm not sure if downloading HD TV shows is illegal or not but am sure that downloading movies is, even if you own the DVD/VHS/etc.

I'm having trouble with some MKV files... They are lagging.

My laptop is a Dell XPS Gen 2 (centrino 2.13Ghz and 7800gtx...) :rolleyes: :(

I'm having trouble with some MKV files... They are lagging.

My laptop is a Dell XPS Gen 2 (centrino 2.13Ghz and 7800gtx...) :rolleyes: :(

Which program are you using? Media Classic should play just fine, assuming that your CPU is duo core.

Which program are you using? Media Classic should play just fine, assuming that your CPU is duo core.

I'm using Media Player Classic.

My CPU is not dual core, it's a humble Pentium M Centrino 2.13Ghz...

Other HD clips/movies play fine, it's just these MKV files......... :rolleyes: :mad:

Most of the MKV's are full bitrate mpeg2. Your system is probably too slow to play them back smooth.

lol, its not my fault. Its beyond Martin Luther, upgrade computer.

Yeah, if the MKV file that you're playing is like 15mbps VC-1, then you're going to need a duo core machine.

720p should be just fine on your laptop though.

not sure if y'all went over this, but where do you get powerdvd 6.5?

i just received a toshiba hd dvd drive off ebay, installed drivers that were automatically there already anyhow, and am trying to get it to work. it's saying that the disc is unreadable and needs to be formatted or something along those lines. i just bought an hdcp compliant video card and windvd 8 platinum because it supposedly plays hd dvd movies. when i double checked the specs it states high def at 720p/1080i and not 1080p. i'm wanting 1080p playback.

does anyone know if windvd 8 platinum puts out 1080p?

i'm just hoping it's because my vid card isnt hdcp compatible, and that i dont have the right player software. then again it doesnt read any discs i throw in there. any suggestions?

how did you get powerdvd 7.3? i placed an order today for an 8600gt hdcp vid card, and windvd 8 platinum (reading around says it plays at 540p?). should i be worried, or am i just paranoid? i was wondering if the hd versions of powerdvd shipped with an item because i can't find it retail at all. i just keep getting back to powerdvd ultra.

video card main concern thinkin about xfx 8500gt for hd dvd add-on playback (smoothly or not at all)
am2 x2 3600
gigabyte 690v chipset
2 gig xms2 mem
500w ps
any suggestions appreciated :)

A 8500/8600 would be perfect for VP2 decoding. (vista only at the moment). But, for formats where VP2 isn't supported fully, the processor is right at the border for smooth playback. It should work for most of your movies, but a 4400+ or greater would be ideal unless you overclock the 3600+ to 2.5ghz. (which is very easy)

thx 4 the tip...the ideal software combos that ive been reading are:
powerdvd 7.3 or windvd 8(cheaper)
anydvd (do i need it?)
hooked up to my sony bravia kvl2500 1080p

I suggest PowerDVD 7.3 for sure. I've had no issues with it thus far. I can't say the same for WinDVD HD. WinDVD won't even playback certain movies, and with others it will jump around sometimes. It still needs some bugs worked out.

You don't need AnyDVD. It won't do anything for you if you are already HDCP certified in both your graphics card and TV. AnyDVD does remove HDCP protection, but PowerDVD requires it, so most likely you'll get a black screen with just audio playing back.

So.. this is what you'll want for guaranteed good playback:

- AMD 4400+ or better, or Intel e6300 or better
- HDCP graphics card
- HDCP monitor/tv
- Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3
- HDDVD or Blu-ray drive

The 8500/8600 nvidia graphics card and Vista is optional. It will take all the stress off your CPU though when decoding using VP2. This will pretty much ensure smooth playback as well.

Get the E4300 and overclock it to 2.6-3GHz with the stock cooler if you want to spend only $150 for it and a cheapo ECS motherboard combo on eBay. The motherboard is trash, but hey, at that price, it's practically a freebie.

thx 4 the tip applebook & w1retap got my stuff yesterday...hhd not working bummer but
everything else good to go. will probably overclock (zerothermal cpu cooler nu product--
very quiet). hooked up to my sony kvl 2500 dvi-hdmi detected 720p. can't wait for 1080i/p

thx 4 the tip applebook & w1retap got my stuff yesterday...hhd not working bummer but
everything else good to go. will probably overclock (zerothermal cpu cooler nu product--
very quiet). hooked up to my sony kvl 2500 dvi-hdmi detected 720p. can't wait for 1080i/p

ok... got my hdcp 8600gt installed on my 3800x2 system. problem is i still get this error:
Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
i've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them to no avail. i read somewhere online that an os reinstall solves it, but that's not a really attractive choice right now. any suggestions?

You don't need AnyDVD. It won't do anything for you if you are already HDCP certified in both your graphics card and TV. AnyDVD does remove HDCP protection, but PowerDVD requires it, so most likely you'll get a black screen with just audio playing back.

This isn't correct. AnyDVD allows me to watch EVERY movie so far that I've gotten on my non-HDCP compliant vidcard (7800gtx). The only movie that gave me any problems was King Kong, but I was able to get around that by using AnyDVD to rip it to my harddrive. I'm currently using PowerDVD 7.2

This isn't correct. AnyDVD allows me to watch EVERY movie so far that I've gotten on my non-HDCP compliant vidcard (7800gtx). The only movie that gave me any problems was King Kong, but I was able to get around that by using AnyDVD to rip it to my harddrive. I'm currently using PowerDVD 7.2

The same can't be said for everyone just because you stand out of a crowd. There are still many others it does not work for. Hence the term I used.. "most likely".

Back