Your HD tune scores

Here are HD Tune benchmark on a Seagate 500gig 7200.11 as single drive on Areca.

7200.11.JPG

and here are WD CAVIAR RE2-GP 1TB 16MB

re2-gp.JPG

These raid disks are a bit slow as single drives but hopefully they are better choice for raid then desktop models. Do anyone have benchmark of a big array of RE2 Disks ? with or without GP.

Barracuda 120GB (OS)
BARRACUDA120GB.png

WD 500GB (STORAGE)
WD5000AAKS.png

Im gonna run the tests again later, Because I had both tests going at the same time.

Sorry for the n00b question, but I can't seem to find what Burst Rate actually equates to. I looked the term up and the definition I see is:
"The burst rate is the highest speed (in megabytes per second) at which data can be transferred from the drive interface (IDE or SCSI for example) to the operating system."

What does this actually equate to? My games/programs installed on my os operating at a faster speed? Will I see a difference from like 90MB/s to 150MB/s, whatever that difference may be; where is the point at which I will actually be able to see a noticable difference?

Thanks, and sorry for being a n00b (I did search the forum beforehand to no avail).

burst rate is irrelevant, let say your copying 1gb file from hdd a to hdd b, so when you start the transfer the speed will spike up to your max boost rate and after few seconds it will settle to around your average transfer rate. So in practicality burst rate doesn't matter.

axan explained burst rate pretty well. if you still don't get it, its just the highest point at which one block of data was transferred at.

Enabled write-back cache, here are my speeds (Dual 150gb raptors in raid 0/ich9r):
hdbench1it4.png

hdbench2va5.png

How do you benchmark your Ram? My trial version won't let me do that.

That's not a direct ram benchmark, it's a benchmark of a ramdrive. You need software that will allow you to create ramdisks first (take part of your ram and make it act like a hard drive)

Quad raptors running off onboard ICH9R RAID controller. 80 GB primary partition with 64k stripe, write back cache enabled.

4r1.jpg

4r2.jpg

Not HDtune, but a benchmark too...
Seagate ST-277R (65MB) on a OMTI-Controller. Buyed 1988 for 750€
sfresser1r.gif

2x 36GB 16MB Cache Raid 0 Raptors:
hdtunebenchmarkintelraiww2.png

Total shit Seagate 40GB IDE drive (lol, don't worry, I rarely use it):
hdtunebenchmarkst340014va3.png

This is our SBS Server 2003 RAID 1 array, not certain on disk brand/model atm but they are SCSI disks on an Intel SE7520 BD2 mobo, each on their own channel. This was done under real-world working conditions (Exchange, SQL, and file server) during the workday a few minutes ago.
sbsserverfh2.jpg

Can someone help me out,
Below is a screen cap of my write speeds for this raid 5 setup , it is taking for EVER to copy files to it. as you can see it is chugging along at 5 to 7 mbs per sec. It has taken 10 hrs to copy 200gbs and I am very unhappy with this.

here are the setup specs
winxp pro
p5wdg2-ws pro 975x pci-x card megaraid LSI SATA 300-8X with latest firmware
Raid 5 64k striping 3 drives=WD7500aacs GP drives with wdtler enabled

I cant live with these pisspoor speeds , is it my controller , my mobo , or my drives??
should I ditch the card and get an ab9pro or similar priced ich8r mobo to run raid 5 from ?? would I get better write speeds using software raid 5 ?
Thanks

Here's a few more HDTune scores...

WD1500ADFD
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC%20WD1500ADFD-00NLR.png

WD6400AAKS
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC%20WD6400AAKS-00A7B.png

------------------------------------

WD5000AAKS
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC%20WD5000AAKS-00YGA.png

WD7500AAKS
HDTune_Benchmark_WDC%20WD7500AAKS-00RBA.png

what does it mean if you have big dips in the same place on the same HDD, each time you bench with hd tune OR hd tach (on an otherwise stable downturning line) ?

Can someone help me out,
Below is a screen cap of my write speeds for this raid 5 setup , it is taking for EVER to copy files to it. as you can see it is chugging along at 5 to 7 mbs per sec. It has taken 10 hrs to copy 200gbs and I am very unhappy with this.

here are the setup specs
winxp pro
p5wdg2-ws pro 975x pci-x card megaraid LSI SATA 300-8X with latest firmware
Raid 5 64k striping 3 drives=WD7500aacs GP drives with wdtler enabled

I cant live with these pisspoor speeds , is it my controller , my mobo , or my drives??
should I ditch the card and get an ab9pro or similar priced ich8r mobo to run raid 5 from ?? would I get better write speeds using software raid 5 ?
Thanks

Do you have write cache enabled ? when I first set up my raid5 on my rocketraid 2320 I went with write through cache policy, my write speed was horrible, like 9-10mb/s, I changed the cache policy and now im getting 80-90mb/s

Yeah I have 2x new WD 7500AACS GP drives (750GB). Separately or together in Raid0/JBOD I can not get more than a sustained 7-9 MB/s write onto them. They start off fast (100MB/s) then slow down/freeze real quickly.

System 1 config is:
- Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi M/b
- Q6600
- 4GB DDR2-667
- HighPoint RocketRaid 2340
- Windows 2003 SP2
- OCZ GameXtreme 1010W PSU

Now I've tried running them separately (just one plugged in) on:
- HP RR2340
- SATA2 (Intel controller on mobo)
- SATA3 - SATA6 (4x SATA ports off JMicron controller on mobo)
All with different modes (write-through on/off, cache on/off, NCQ on/off). Absolutely no difference. Bought these drives today and it's just got me puzzled. BIOS is newest revision (14) as is that of my RAID card RR2340 (v1.4)

NOW, I've put them (as single drives) into my Dell SC430 server onto the SATA0-4 slots, and I can copy to them sustained at 45-50 MB/s - also using Windows 2003 SP2. I have no idea what is causing the slowdown on my main system, but it's very annoying as that is where I have 1.5TB of stuff to back up; now will have to do it over the network, as the copying at 7-9MB/s locally still makes my system feel like it's "frozen".

Also, BIOS on the P5B lets me select AUTO for PIO and DMA modes (where it auto-selects PIO 4 and DMA 5). Also tried disabling Write Caching on the disk under Windows Device Manager -> Drive Properties -> Policies.

my system doesnt slow down , the cpu usage is like 1 or 4 percent while copying to it but the speed is horrible

I also have direct IO selected, write back , readahead set to adaptive.

I am seriously thinking of dithcing this card and mobo and getting a mobo with ICH9r , that has at least 6 ports and running raid 5 from it. only problem I see with that is the unability to expand the array, please let me know if i am wrong . it would be cheapr than dropping 500 on an areca.

i might be able to do a test I have 3 400gig seagates I could copy thier data to my other drives and set them up as raid 5 and see if i get the same speeds, I assume it wouldnt matter though .

Is this OK? For some reason I cant enable Write back cache, but here are my scores using a Raid-0 array with 2 seagate 320GB'ers:

2004076633524134647_rs.jpg

Back