Auzentech XMeridian is finally out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
vexeus said:
I don't think Oblivion supports EAX, so how does lack of hardware acceleration make it a bad card for Oblivion?

It doesn't suck, it just doesn't sound as good/realistic for game:)

Moofasa~ said:
The CPU calculates all the audio positioning, effects, and streams instead of the sound card. It obviously lowers your overall frame-rate.

Get a better GPU/CPU. Sound card is for sound period.

Even for a dual core CPU? One does sound effects, other does Oblivion...? Am I missing something here? And the fact that I get well above 30 FPS in Oblivion anyways...

alg7_munif said:
Get a better GPU/CPU. Sound card is for sound period.
Exactly, so shouldn't your sound card process the audio data? Why have a sound card if your CPU is going to do all the work?

vexeus said:
Even for a dual core CPU? One does sound effects, other does Oblivion...? Am I missing something here? And the fact that I get well above 30 FPS in Oblivion anyways...

Because the Processor can only process software written for it. The Processor can't Process EAX 3 and higher because there never was a software version of it or OpenAL for it to Process. Unlike a pre-rendered DVD, Games are done on-the-fly. Sure the Processor can process AC97 and DS3D. DACs and a DTS/DDL license, $199? I don't think so.

Ok, but Oblivion doesn't support EAX and I get massive framerates anyways.

Installing an X-Meridian wouldn't do much to my performance (most Creative enthusiasts suggest 5-10 FPS, which also wouldn't affect my gameplay). Wouldn't this be a more ideal card because of the better analog out for my headphones?

Donnie, why wouldn't it sound as good/realistic? I'd like some technical reasoning rather than just a statement.

Yes, I'd actually like to know the answer because I don't feel I'm getting an adequate one.

vexeus said:
Ok, but Oblivion doesn't support EAX and I get massive framerates anyways.

Installing an X-Meridian wouldn't do much to my performance (most Creative enthusiasts suggest 5-10 FPS, which also wouldn't affect my gameplay). Wouldn't this be a more ideal card because of the better analog out for my headphones?

Donnie, why wouldn't it sound as good/realistic? I'd like some technical reasoning rather than just a statement.

Yes, I'd actually like to know the answer because I don't feel I'm getting an adequate one.

It will drop your FPS a little only if your using DTS:C or DDL. But if you use analog it wont. Creative fans just think everyone who uses an HDA card uses DDL or DTS:C so they use that excuse. Correct me if im wrong but EAX doesn't add quality to sound right? its just an extension of DS3D for a more realistic world environment.

so like vexus said "
Donnie, why wouldn't it sound as good/realistic? I'd like some technical reasoning rather than just a statement."

i'd like to know your answer to that also. i can understand the realistic part. but the audio Quality?

Moofasa~ said:
Exactly, so shouldn't your sound card process the audio data? Why have a sound card if your CPU is going to do all the work?

A sound card should give a better sound not a better image. A X-Fi with a geForce 7600GT will still be slower than a X-Meridian with a geForce 7800GT. What I'm trying to say here is if you want a better frame rate, get a better GPU, if you want a better sound get a sound card.

Dion said:
It will drop your FPS a little only if your using DTS:C or DDL. But if you use analog it wont. Creative fans just think everyone who uses an HDA card uses DDL or DTS:C so they use that excuse. Correct me if im wrong but EAX doesn't add quality to sound right? its just an extension of DS3D for a more realistic world environment.

so like vexus said "
Donnie, why wouldn't it sound as good/realistic? I'd like some technical reasoning rather than just a statement."

i'd like to know your answer to that also. i can understand the realistic part. but the audio Quality?

I'll post directly to you now. Yes, EAX does add QUALITY, that's what all of the filters do and as do well. When there is NO EAX, it can also process OpenAL in Hardware to do even better. A better example would be America's Army that has Great OpenAL support. Some folks call using Audigy 2 or better cheating.

Realistic = Quality
Crystal clear sounds when they should be Obstructed, Occluded, Elevation added and etc.... = Low Quality.

That's what's being missed here. Again, in some cases the Game calls for a Dirty Muffled sounds, like under water, inside a Tank or Bld. If you're not hearing these, then your Creative cards weren't setup or used correctly. My bud upgrade to an X-Fi because all of his sounds were clean and clear, even when they weren't supposed to be. Oh and the X-Fi can be crystal clear when it needs to be.

No Dion, if HDA or etc.. Supported OpenAL, the best EAX in HW and did these features through Analog or through SPDIF I'd be here trashing Creative=P No excuses or qualifiers. Then that $189 price might seem reasonable as well.

I'm gonna go with "X-Meridian is better for Oblivion" in this case since creative advocates are not responding.

Reasoning:
No EAX in Oblivion
No OpenAL support in Oblivion
The game runs fast enough that framerates are not an issue
Sound quality will be higher using analog (headphones)

Sound good?

I have the Logitech® Z-5300e and i want to buy the Auzentech X-Meridian,
is it a good purchase or should i buy another sound card, it is mainly for music but allso for games and movies. (my curent sound card is onboard)
And will the DTS Digital Surround and Dolby® Digital Live will work on my speakers?

Vexues, if based on the specs yes the X-Meridian would be better for Oblivion but I don't have a X-Fi and my X-Meridian is not here yet, so can't confirm that.

Mer0vingian, I don't think that your Logitech has a DTS/DD receiver/decoder so you can't use the digital output to get a surround sound. If you are planning to use analogue with the card, it might give a better sound quality than a same priced X-Fi but you will not get EAX higher than 2.0. I have edited the first post so you can read about the card there and I will edit it again from time to time to add more info.

Donnie27 said:
I'll post directly to you now. Yes, EAX does add QUALITY

I was wasn't the one who asked the question i was just curious to see the answer to it. And you still have dodged the question as to why Creative would be a better sound card in Oblivion.

Dion said:
I was wasn't the one who asked the question i was just curious to see the answer to it. And you still have dodged the question as to why Creative would be a better sound card in Oblivion.

Dewd, I haven't Dodged anything. It's not Creative but the X-Fi that sounds better. It sounds better because it is supported better. OpenAL that it does in Hardware CAN'T be done by ANYTHING from CMedia or Envy=P There is no AC97 type Codec for the processor to process for the CMedia based Cards. The best it can hope for is DS3D and NO, alone DS3D does not even come close to DS3D plus EAX or OpenAL. Now what Am I dodging?

Sycraft said:
phide: I'm not sure how many consumer players pay attention to the absolute levels...
Thanks for answering -- this is all interesting (and all fairly new to me).

Dion said:
And you still have dodged the question as to why Creative would be a better sound card in Oblivion.
Well, for one thing, removing CPU dependency is helpful, especially in a title like Oblivion. Because each system is very roughly multithreaded, or not multithreaded at all, you really need a great deal of power to move things along. By alleviating 5-7% of CPU dependency used for sound processing, you've just freed 5-7% of the CPU available for physics and, most notably, AI, which is unquestionably the most demanding process in Oblivion besides rendering. This is a very taboo way to think about it, but 6% of a 3.0GHz CPU is 180MHz. That could be half of your maximum overclock right there.

As for overall output quality, is the X-Meridian truly better than the X-Fi Elite Pro? It may very well be, but I'm also certain it's not leaps and bounds better. The output chain of the X-Fi is plenty capable of delivering solid audio quality -- I've never denied it that. The weakest link in the PC audio chain is most always going to be your speakers, and very few of us own speakers that wouldn't make a true audiophile very uneasy if not sick to his stomach.

vexeus said:
[Oblivion] runs fast enough that framerates are not an issue.
Please. I have a pretty bitchin' rig, loaded to the gills with modern, ultra-fast equipment, and Oblivion runs like a hog. Unless you're on a Core 2 Duo, and you also have a very specific 681 million transistor GPU in your machine, Oblivion runs pretty damn poorly.

Framerates are always an issue unless you're locked at 40 fps or greater. The X-Fi removes some of the CPU burden, so you will benefit from it, however small the benefit will be.

vexeus said:
If you were obsessive about headphone use, you'd have a dedicated headphone amp. $60-100 gets you into the entry-level headphile club these days.

Donnie27 said:
Realistic = Quality Crystal clear sounds when they should be Obstructed, Occluded, Elevation added and etc.... = Low Quality.
This is a huge differentiation here, Donnie. Would you describe harmonic distortion and other forms of analog coloration as "audio quality", or would you use another, more appropriate word?

EAX, in my mind, is a very tightly controlled form of coloration. It will almost always increase realism and believability, but I don't see it as adding "quality".

And, now that you're back in my sights, so to speak, would you mind backing this up as I've previously asked?
Donnie27 said:
No, those CMedia cards don't always send discrete signals to each side or rear speakers. Many times those sounds are Matrix-ed, Approximations and etc...

alg7_munif said:
A sound card should give a better sound not a better image.
That's what sound cards do. By additionally performing audio processing, they can also increase framerates slightly. There's no real debating this.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2001/03/24/news_2700843.html

Maybe this will help?

GDC 2001: Creative shows OpenAL

We get under the hood of the Creative-initiated cross-platform sound API that can mix 5.1 music into game audio.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot
Posted Mar 24, 2001 12:46 am PT

Creative began openly talking about starting up a cross-platform audio API early last year, clearly emulating SGI's OpenGL approach from the first. Making OpenAL a cross-platform standard means that it moves away from relying upon Microsoft's DirectX sound support, which provides the 3D positional setup used for Creative's own EAX. Because it primarily duplicates the existing features of DirectSound and EAX, OpenAL's most obvious appeal is to game developers looking to move PC games to the MacOS and Linux.

The one new feature for OpenAL is interactive 5.1 music mixing. This will enable future games to include Dolby Digital music tracks, which Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 cards can decode and mix with positional game audio in real time. While this approach to 5.1 for PC games is likely to provide very high-quality multichannel sound with excellent track separation and positioning, it also means that game developers must include an alternate music format for PC gamers who won't be using OpenAL. Although Dolby Digital itself compresses down by a ratio of 12 to 1--about one-quarter the size of uncompressed stereo music--both 5.1 and standard stereo formats won't often fit on the CD along with the rest of a game. For this reason, Creative is suggesting alternative music formats for stereo support, such as MP3s. Additionally, a Dolby representative suggested to GameSpot that this requirement may make its new Pro Logic II standard an attractive alternative, since it provides analog surround sound that's compatible with stereo devices. Pro Logic II marks several improvements over Dolby Surround, including the addition of channel separation in the rear and richer rear frequency range.

As an alternative to DirectSound and EAX, OpenAL still has a ways to go. The current public release of OpenAL doesn't take advantage of the hardware acceleration capabilities of Creative's sound cards and runs entirely on the CPU. However, Creative is currently testing new Sound Blaster drivers that will take advantage of the cards' digital signal processor. Moving forward, Creative hopes that developers will write to both OpenAL and the existing DirectSound and EAX standards. In any case, installing OpenAL won't disable the other options, as it sits alongside DirectSound and EAX, letting games use either set of APIs.

As an open-source project, OpenAL is a work in progress that's publicly available on the OpenAL.org Web site. It will work in Windows, Linux, and MacOS 9. However, Apple's new operating system, OS X, will not support the standard for the time being, because of issues in PCI device support in the initial shipping version of the OS that's going to stores next week. On the Linux side, Creative has been working closely with Loki Entertainment, the primary commercial publisher of Linux games.

About 5.5 years ago. So CMedia and Envy have very little reason to not have joined in on the whole OpenAL thingy. nVidia did join.

phide said:
By alleviating 5-7% of CPU dependency used for sound processing, you've just freed 5-7% of the CPU available for physics and, most notably, AI, which is unquestionably the most demanding process in Oblivion besides rendering.

Phide, what I'm going to post now is just a joke so don't take it seriously. In FPS you have an advantage with X-Fi because you know where your enemies are. In Oblivion you have an advantage with Auzentech cards because the enemies are slightly stupid(less AI). :p

alg7_munif said:
A sound card should give a better sound not a better image. A X-Fi with a geForce 7600GT will still be slower than a X-Meridian with a geForce 7800GT. What I'm trying to say here is if you want a better frame rate, get a better GPU, if you want a better sound get a sound card.

That's hardly a fair scenario. First off the X-Meridian costs more than an X-Fi. If anything a 7800GT should be paired with the X-Fi and a X-Meridian with a 7600GT. And for gaming I would choose a 7800GT/X-Fi every time over a 7600GT/X-Meridian combo (or even a 7800GT/X-Meridian combo).

Reasoning:
The game runs fast enough that framerates are not an issue

Oblivion runs fast enough? A 5-10 frame rate drop in oblivion is going to be noticeable, unless you have a 8800GTX. Sound quality is questionable too due to games use of lossy compressed codec's (for example HL2 uses mp3, so I doubt you'll actually notice the difference in games). Add in the fact the X-Fi has better positioning for headphones than the X-Meridian, makes your last statement pretty weak.

Moofasa~ said:
Oblivion runs fast enough? A 5-10 frame rate drop in oblivion is going to be noticeable, unless you have a 8800GTX. Sound quality is questionable too due to games use of lossy compressed codec's (for example HL2 uses mp3, so I doubt you'll actually notice the difference in games). Add in the fact the X-Fi has better positioning for headphones than the X-Meridian, makes your last statement pretty weak.

Well I hate X-Fi's CMSS 3D whatever the heck it is. To me, it sounds terrible, so that "better positioning" statement is pretty weak if that's what you're referring to. X-Meridian has Dolby Headphone for this purpose anyways. If you're referring to general 3D positioning, then I also have to disagree since they will both be using DS3D and no EAX, right? I own an X-Fi, just for reference.

Also, framerates don't do jack above ~30 FPS (HardOCP uses that 30 FPS reference line for a reason). Films run at 24 FPS, and they look just fine to me. Sure, 80 FPS is super impressive powerful whatever, but it doesn't do squat for your gaming experience. So while I say that Oblivion runs just fine on my system, I mean it in this context. Yes, framerate does drop below 30 FPS during intense spell scenes, etc, but this is bound to happen if I own an X-Fi or X-Meridian... X-Fi won't save me from that.

So at the very least, X-Fi and X-Meridian are on par with eachother for games that don't use EAX and OpenAL such as Oblivion. Unless someone has some specific evidence other than "X-Fi has better positioning for headphones" without supporting statements, this seems a reasonable conclusion. X-Fi is not better for all games, so why do people keep stating X-Fi is the best gaming card? I don't even play FPS games...

Donnie27 said:
Dewd, I haven't Dodged anything. It's not Creative but the X-Fi that sounds better. It sounds better because it is supported better. OpenAL that it does in Hardware CAN'T be done by ANYTHING from CMedia or Envy=P There is no AC97 type Codec for the processor to process for the CMedia based Cards. The best it can hope for is DS3D and NO, alone DS3D does not even come close to DS3D plus EAX or OpenAL. Now what Am I dodging?

Donnie: You're dodging it because OpenAL and EAX don't apply to Oblivion. Find a supporting statement for X-Fi's awesomeness with evidence without these two technologies.

Phide: I never said Oblivion wasn't a system hog and congrats on your bitchin' rig. I honestly find my framerate to be perfectly reasonable in the sense than X-Fi isn't going to help me. But now I want to get an X-Meridian just to run an actual comparison on framerates (or find a bloody review with this in mind).

X-Meridian does DirectSound3D in software too, so regardless if a game uses OpenAL or not, your CPU will be doing all the audio processing. CMSS-3D headphone (which is different than CMSS-3D for speakers) are extensions based off of the same techniques used in Dolby Headphone. So for positioning on headphones, I don't see how a X-Meridian will do better. So no, the X-Fi and X-Meridian are not "on par" with each on DirectSound3D games either. They are never on par for games. This coming from someone who owns an X-Mystique.

Wait, how did anything you just said prove that they aren't on par? Because X-Fi processes DS3D via hardware and X-Meridian uses software? That just affects the framerate, which I've proposed is not an issue.

vexeus said:
Wait, how did anything you just said prove that they aren't on par? Because X-Fi processes DS3D via hardware and X-Meridian uses software? That just affects the framerate, which I've proposed is not an issue.

Perhaps not an issue for you, but for the vast majority? If one currently gets 30 fps in a game with the X-Fi, then switches to a X-Meridian, they'll notice the dip in performance. Just because you have success with your precious Oblivion, doesn't mean all (future or present) games will act that way. Most people play more than one game anyways. Eventually having a sound card that offloads everything to the CPU will catch up to you in games.

And yes, I do consider a sound card that cannot process any positioning/audio effects in hardware to be inferior to a sound card that can (for games).

vexeus said:
Also, framerates don't do jack above ~30 FPS. Films run at 24 FPS, and they look just fine to me. Sure, 80 FPS is super impressive powerful whatever, but it doesn't do squat for your gaming experience.
Films are also completely synchronous and "feature" motion blur. Real-time rendering and film are two completely different animals, as you are no doubt aware.

vexeus said:
I never said Oblivion wasn't a system hog and congrats on your bitchin' rig.
I wasn't looking for any congratulations. Those are best saved for those who feel the need to list their specs in their sigs for "wow factor" (or whatever the purpose of that is).

Moofasa~ said:
Oblivion runs fast enough? A 5-10 frame rate drop in oblivion is going to be noticeable, unless you have a 8800GTX.
5-10 frames per second? I'd figure that any capable rig would lose, at the very most, 3 frames per second with the Meridian or any other software-based card, and 3 is a fairly excessive figure, I think. 1-2 would likely be the norm.

Though you've owned both cards, so perhaps you know better than I do at this point.

And perhaps Donnie has been busy, so I'll go ahead and again pose the question I've already posed twice now and have been anxiously awaiting an answer to...
Donnie27 said:
No, those CMedia cards don't always send discrete signals to each side or rear speakers. Many times those sounds are Matrix-ed, Approximations and etc...
Can you confirm this, sir?

:rolleyes:
vexeus said:
Well I hate X-Fi's CMSS 3D whatever the heck it is. To me, it sounds terrible, so that "better positioning" statement is pretty weak if that's what you're referring to. X-Meridian has Dolby Headphone for this purpose anyways. If you're referring to general 3D positioning, then I also have to disagree since they will both be using DS3D and no EAX, right? I own an X-Fi, just for reference.

Also, framerates don't do jack above ~30 FPS (HardOCP uses that 30 FPS reference line for a reason). Films run at 24 FPS, and they look just fine to me. Sure, 80 FPS is super impressive powerful whatever, but it doesn't do squat for your gaming experience. So while I say that Oblivion runs just fine on my system, I mean it in this context. Yes, framerate does drop below 30 FPS during intense spell scenes, etc, but this is bound to happen if I own an X-Fi or X-Meridian... X-Fi won't save me from that.

So at the very least, X-Fi and X-Meridian are on par with eachother for games that don't use EAX and OpenAL such as Oblivion. Unless someone has some specific evidence other than "X-Fi has better positioning for headphones" without supporting statements, this seems a reasonable conclusion. X-Fi is not better for all games, so why do people keep stating X-Fi is the best gaming card? I don't even play FPS games...

Donnie: You're dodging it because OpenAL and EAX don't apply to Oblivion. Find a supporting statement for X-Fi's awesomeness with evidence without these two technologies.

Phide: I never said Oblivion wasn't a system hog and congrats on your bitchin' rig. I honestly find my framerate to be perfectly reasonable in the sense than X-Fi isn't going to help me. But now I want to get an X-Meridian just to run an actual comparison on framerates (or find a bloody review with this in mind).

You sure you don't have that Backward or maybe I do. Dolby Headphone sound good but unrealistic and more like Pro-logic. Sorry I couldn't disagree with you more, CMSS 3D Heaphone does the Job of the FPS. I'm kind of oblivious to Oblivion because I don't play it.
I've Heard Battlefield 2, MoH, CoD, and even DS3D Halo do positional Audio with Effects while with X-Fi while DH didn't.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/586-10/creative-labs-x-fi.html

First page-->Movement effects were rendered with many more nuances and we can clearly identify sounds moving from left to right, or diagonally. Height effects are also correctly rendered even if nuances aren’t as optimal as on the horizontal plane. For this point, Creative labs is one length ahead of SRS and Dolby algorithms, which are efficient but only for movies. The latter have large weaknesses in vertical rendering, however.

Last page

The second advantage is the new CMSS 3D, which is a direct benefit of Sensaura’s knowledge in this domain. Virtualisation algorithm for headphones works extremely well and provides a good surround sound without speakers. With such a solution, there is the option of investment in high end headphones over more expensive and lower quality surround speakers.

I play with two guys' system and they were set up correctly. Of course they blamed they card. If the damned thing is setup, nothing else on the market touches it=P More than my ears have comfimed that.

Anyone can test Dolby Headphone here. Now before my Philips SBC HP890 headphones are blamed, they work perfectly with my X-Fi. Have tested Sennheisser 580, 515s, and even my old Koss cans can do it LOL!. In fact, the Philips make better surround sound Cans than for music playback. Something they're middle of the Road with at best.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html

HRTFs / Headphone processing is based on several technologies. These are UCDavis, Aureal, and SensauraVitalizationconfirmedPhilip's. It uses patents on MacroFX, binaural 3D panning. It includes 48-tap FIR filters, to process up to 128 3D sources..

CMSS (Creative Multi Speaker Surround) technology is updated to CMSS-3D. According to the manufacturer, this approach yields better results, especially with respect to sound field stability, than Dolby Prologic II/IIx. It also achieves more natural HF timbre and spatiousness than Dolby Headphone.

The best Dolby Headphone can do is the AC97 Processor based stuff of 64 Voice. To maximize profits, they'll license NOTHING from Creative so NONE of the features (above) are used. Oh wait, these folks are lying :rolleyes: Dolby HP can do pre-rendered stuff like DVD though.

I've decided to just stay out of this thread, buy an X-Meridian, and come back with my results in a few months. Rejoice!

Donnie27 said:
Dolby Headphone sound good but unrealistic and more like Pro-logic.

Why don't you read the Dolby Headphone FAQ especially question number 7.

7. Why are there two Dolby Headphone technology logos: one saying Dolby Digital and the other Dolby Pro Logic® II?

Dolby Headphone is designed to process a 5.1 signal. It can also process stereo sources, but the stereo signal must first be converted to a 5.1 signal. Products can feature either of these logos, depending on the manufacturer.

So, products with a Dolby Pro Logic II/Dolby Headphone logo use the Dolby Pro Logic II technology to expand stereo content to 5.1-channels, which are then processed through Dolby Headphone. Listeners are able to get a 5.1-channel surround sound experience from a stereo source with any pair of stereo headphones.

Products with a Dolby Digital/Dolby Headphone logo decode 5.1-channel Dolby Digital soundtracks and apply Dolby Headphone processing to the multiple channels. Because the material is already encoded with 5.1 Dolby Digital, the multiple channels are discrete. Dolby Headphone then gives the listener a 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound experience from any pair of headphones.

alg7_munif said:
Vexues, if based on the specs yes the X-Meridian would be better for Oblivion but I don't have a X-Fi and my X-Meridian is not here yet, so can't confirm that.

Mer0vingian, I don't think that your Logitech has a DTS/DD receiver/decoder so you can't use the digital output to get a surround sound. If you are planning to use analogue with the card, it might give a better sound quality than a same priced X-Fi but you will not get EAX higher than 2.0. I have edited the first post so you can read about the card there and I will edit it again from time to time to add more info.

so what you are saying is that i wont be able to enbale the dts and the ddl options and get the surround "effect"?

Mer0vingian said:
so what you are saying is that i wont be able to enbale the dts and the ddl options and get the surround "effect"?

First you should know that DDL stands for Dolby Digital Live which is a feature on a sound card to encode a 5.1 (surround) sound into a Dolby Digital signal and this signal will be passed through a digital cable (coaxial/optical) to an external receiver that will decode this signal. The receiver will process the signal and output the surround sound with a surround speaker set. DTS Connect is almost the same thing as Dolby Digital Live but DTS Connect is from another company and a DTS signal has a higher bitrate than a Dolby Digital signal.

The X-Meridian also supports the Dolby Prologic IIx and DTS Neo: PC feature. These features are used to get a surround effect from a stereo source (this process is called upmix) such as from a MP3 file. You don't actually need these feature because some audio programs already have their own feature to create a surround effect from a stereo source.

The X-Meridian has 4 analogue audio outputs(for 8-channels sound) and one digital output. The X-Meridian can output a 5.1 / 7.1 (6/8-channels) surround sound(discreet or upmixed) through the analogue outputs or only up to 5.1 (6-channels) through the digital output(using Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect encoding). I have also read on the website that you can get 8-channels unencoded digital PCM outputs (maybe 4xSPDIF) with an extension board that has not been released yet.

Thank's for the information but you didn't really answer my question, will those features
will work (as you can see i don't know much about sound cards and speakers),
and if you were in my place, would you have bought X-Meridian?

alg7_munif said:
Why don't you read the Dolby Headphone FAQ especially question number 7.

I did read it, it seems you didn't test it though. I have :D It DOESN'T sound as good as CMSS 3D in mine or a lot of folks' opinion LOL!

That's how it is supposed to work. $hit don't always go according to plans. Come on, you post something like this to me on thread like this? Here we have folks who are;
Calling Webmasters a lie when they tested CMSS',
They said it sounds "better", more convincing", "realistic", "more defined" and etc.., than Dolby Headphone. But to call me a lie, you have to call them one too.
You guys believe the Dolby folks, WOW, that's rich:) So, are Double standards acceptable?

I've tried both of these and CMSS-3D does a better job with games=P There is no Occlusion or Obstruction, or Elevation in Dolby Headphone. DVDs might work, the sounds DON'T NEED sound effects and are pre-rendered. This MIGHT be what's confusing folks. I watch movies on my Large Screen TV downstairs in my Den.

As I said before your speaker doesn't have a digital receiver so Dolby Digital Live/DTS connect is useless. Dolby Prologic IIx/DTS Neo: PC will work but you don't exactly need them. Dolby Headphone technology is only good if you are using a headphone. Based on the specs, the X-Meridian should give a better sound quality through the analogue outputs than a similiar priced X-Fi(I don't have a X-Fi so I can't confirm this) but you will not get EAX higher than 2.0 with the X-Meridian. If I were in your place(I've bought a quite good quality set of speakers but without a digital decoder), maybe I'm gonna buy a X-Fi Elite Pro, if it is too expensive then I'll get a X-Meridian.

Donnie27 said:
I've tried both of these and CMSS-3D does a better job with games=P There is no Occlusion or Obstruction, or Elevation in Dolby Headphone
That supposed to be the EAX feature. How about games without EAX and OpenAL? If CMSS-3D is better than dolby headphone, a surround sound in movies should also sound better with CMSS-3D. I post that because you said that the dolby headphone sounds like prologic, it should sound like prologic if it is using prologic. You should learn how to differentiate things. Not mixing up facts. The X-Meridian can also do 128 voices.

Donnie27 said:
The best Dolby Headphone can do is the AC97 Processor based stuff of 64 Voice.

alg7_munif said:
First you should know that DDL stands for Dolby Digital Live which is a feature on a sound card to encode a 5.1 (surround) sound into a Dolby Digital signal and this signal will be passed through a digital cable (coaxial/optical) to an external receiver that will decode this signal. The receiver will process the signal and output the surround sound with a surround speaker set. DTS Connect is almost the same thing as Dolby Digital Live but DTS Connect is from another company and a DTS signal has a higher bitrate than a Dolby Digital signal.

The X-Meridian also supports the Dolby Prologic IIx and DTS Neo: PC feature. These features are used to get a surround effect from a stereo source (this process is called upmix) such as from a MP3 file. You don't actually need these feature because some audio programs already have their own feature to create a surround effect from a stereo source.

The X-Meridian has 4 analogue audio outputs(for 8-channels sound) and one digital output. The X-Meridian can output a 5.1 / 7.1 (6/8-channels) surround sound(discreet or upmixed) through the analogue outputs or only up to 5.1 (6-channels) through the digital output(using Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect encoding). I have also read on the website that you can get 8-channels unencoded digital PCM outputs (maybe 4xSPDIF) with an extension board that has not been released yet.

As we'd say,"Hog Wash"! You can't make *true 5.1 from a stereo (2 Channel) source, that's just plain old BS. You can Matrix, Up-Mix or Expand it to be played back through a 5.1 system. But calling that anything more than Pro Logic is a joke. You need a TRUE 5.1 source to get Discrete 5.1 output =P That goes for Dolby ANYTHING or CMSS 3D, no wonder you're confused. Up-mix is all it does for many games as well LOL! There ain't a damned thing discrete when you can shut down one speaker and still hear sounds that should only be on one of the speakers. Sure it can discretely send matrixed, up-mixed, expanded sound to each speaker, whoopty doo!

These cards are "One trick" ponies when it comes to features. They can output to SPDIF without DRM. The problem is what happens BEFORE that sound is sent to its DSP, the computer's processor or bypassed to an external source.

When did I say it does a true 5.1? I said surround effect for the Prologic IIx feature and I said that the dolby headphone simulates a 5.1 sound on a headphone. It will only simulate the source, if the source is a discreet 5.1 then the positioning is better than a Prologic source.

alg7_munif said:
As I said before your speaker doesn't have a digital receiver so Dolby Digital Live/DTS connect is useless. Dolby Prologic IIx/DTS Neo: PC will work but you don't exactly need them. Dolby Headphone technology is only good if you are using a headphone. Based on the specs, the X-Meridian should give a better sound quality through the analogue outputs than a similiar priced X-Fi(I don't have a X-Fi so I can't confirm this) but you will not get EAX higher than 2.0 with the X-Meridian. If I were in your place(I've bought a quite good quality set of speakers but without a digital decoder), maybe I'm gonna buy a X-Fi Elite Pro, if it is too expensive then I'll get a X-Meridian.

Based on the Specs THE OTHER guy brought up, vs. Elite Pro, the one he compared it to, is 1db higher;) Who's specs do you believe?

No, X-Meridian it will NOT sound better for Games. Even if the DACs were 500% better, it's what happens BEFORE the data gets to them that determines what or how good the output is. You can send the Processor based AC97 through 125db DAC's and it'd not as realistic without all of the effects its missing.

The difference between a Game and DVD is that DVD is pre rendered or static and requires very little to almost NO work from the sound card. A game in rendered in real-time and is almost 100% fully interactive. The exception is Pre-Rendered Static Cut scenes that can be 5.1 and not much different than a DVD. A DVD's sound has all of the sound effects pre mixed so the sound card doesn't need to do anything but read them. HW cards have to Write and Read them in a way. Sound card Demos were done this way (Pre Rendered) to fool folks. Creative is Guilty of that as well with some of the old SBLive demos.

THIS (Render OTF) is what X-Meridian CAN'T do. What little processing needed is done by the processor. To try and do DS3D or even EAX via the CPU would mean Latency and sharing 133MB with the NIC, I/O-HDD-Optical and yada yada!

Now if the NEW CMedia Chip changed since the old ones, give me a link, I'd love to read it?

alg7_munif said:
When did I say it does a true 5.1? I said surround effect for the Prologic IIx feature and I said that the dolby headphone simulates a 5.1 sound on a headphone. It will only simulate the source, if the source is a discreet 5.1 then the positioning is better than a Prologic source.

Almost true. 5.1 DVD source maybe true, 5.1Game is a toss up. Prologic sucks IMHO! Any version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back