Everex XT5000T Support thread

UPDATE:
WinSAT score is 4.4 by default, I'll do some tweaking and see what I can get it up to. Specific scores by category follow.

Processor: 4.6

Memory (RAM): 4.5

Graphics: 4.8

Gaming Graphics: 4.7

Primary Hard Disk: 4.4

SuperPI Calculation to 2Million score: 000h 02m 07.836s, all by default

It seems as if some people are getting 4.4 on the Hard Drive and others are getting 4.5... I know .1 isn't a big difference, but it's still enough to make me curious. Could a few people check and see what type of drive they have (brand and model). You can do this in Device Manager if you don't want to physically remove the drive cover. Also, please list whether you had partitioned, formatted, or reloaded Windows since getting the laptop... I am trying to determine if there is more than one HD coming with these units, or if it has to do with the amount of free space on the drive (hence, if you decide to create a single larger partition vs. the 2-3 that come stock). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone swaps out their drive for another one, please post the Vista rating score of the new drive.

-Thanks

It seems as if some people are getting 4.4 on the Hard Drive and others are getting 4.5... I know .1 isn't a big difference, but it's still enough to make me curious. Could a few people check and see what type of drive they have (brand and model). You can do this in Device Manager if you don't want to physically remove the drive cover. Also, please list whether you had partitioned, formatted, or reloaded Windows since getting the laptop... I am trying to determine if there is more than one HD coming with these units, or if it has to do with the amount of free space on the drive (hence, if you decide to create a single larger partition vs. the 2-3 that come stock). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone swaps out their drive for another one, please post the Vista rating score of the new drive.

-Thanks

definitely something worth checking out. I have the Fujitsu MHV2100BH PL drive. I'll be swapping for a pair of 7200RPM drives down the road, but I'm going to wait until they get the bios updated with RAID support.

I have the same Fujitsu hard drive as Alex and my score is 4.4.

(love Lunar SSS btw)

I have not opened my lappy yet, but from the picture I don't see the metal bracket to hold the secondary HDD in place. Is it something that is easily attainable or does it have to be "custom made" ?
BTW, I think I will also switch to XP soon. Vista is too much of a pig !

During my research of the computer I found a thread... somewhere, with people talking about the bracket, Tech support told them they do not need it, it stays secure with just the outer screws on the case. One guy had tried it and it stayed in, others were going to "custom make" a bracket.

I'm going to try Tech support and see if I can order one, if they have it for the primary drive, they have to have boxes of the damn things in their warehouses.

I've not yet had a chance to check my drive type (I work 12-16 hours a day don't ya know), but I have a score of 4.5 on the drive with out changing anything.. it's just the way I got it out of the box.

T

OMG...they sent me TWO..and charged me for ONE
dscf3082si4.jpg

Hey

I just called at OfficeMax to see when my new XT5000T arrive ? they said my lappy will be arrive on this Thursday which i ordered Mar 29 at around 3:45pm somethin, they said I should have ordered BEFORE 3pm that will shipped out but...grrr, cant wait get hand on my lappy.

P.S. D94, Thanks for post pix what it look like package :D

phatbx133

Based on all the boxes in the back ground.. I'm going to guess you are a Wooter as well :)

T

ClockGen failed to overclock the CPU for me, so today I tried nTune (running WinXP).

To my surprise it will overclock it. I usually have bad luck with nTune, so that is why I waited so long to try it.

I can adjust the FSB and the HT. But I can't change the memory divider, so the memory overclocks with the FSB. I could get up to 1.8GHz, but my jump to 2.0GHz eventually caused the laptop to shutdown in the middle of 3DMark06.

I will be sticking with 1.6GHz though because the temps are a bit of a concern. It gets up to 76C at the stock speed. I was hitting 86 at 1.8GHz. So at this point I removed the bottom cover over the memory and CPU, set the laptop on it's side and had a large fan blowing into the side of it. This got the temps down to 65C. So at this point I cranked it up to 2.0GHz.

Not sure why it just shut down since the temps looked good with the big fan blowing on it (the CPU fan never even spun up). I'm guessing probably the memory couldn't take the speeds, but I would have expected it to just lock up or reboot instead of shutdown. *shrug*

Also earlier I had remove the heatsink on the CPU. They had some thermal tape stuck to the bottom of the heatsink with some metallic tape on it. But no thermal material between the metallic tape and CPU.

I removed the metallic tape and cleaned up the heatsink with Arctic Silver cleaner and purifier. Then put some Arctic Silver 5 on.

This seemed to drop my temps by almost 10C since I was getting into the 80s before under CPU tests.

Another odd thing I noticed while doing these 3DMark06 benchmarks is that as my CPU marks increased, my GPU marks would decrease, sometimes giving me overall worse benchmark scores. Hehe.

I really can't wait for the Tyler CPUs to come out.

I have the Fujisu MHV2100BH PL as well but get a score of 4.5 with it.

My numbers are:

Processor 4.6
Mem 5.6
Graphics 4.8
Gaming Graphics 4.7
Hard disk 4.5

T

Looking forward to receiving mine hopefully later this week especially based on the positive experience of those who had purchased earlier and received theirs. Waited till almost the last minute hoping to get over the urge to buy but in the end the DEAL won over. 700 imo was just to good to pass up. Time to retire the old toshiba p25 s477 which I had upgraded with a 3.4 northwood(from a 2.4), 1gb corsair xms pc3200(from 512 pc2100), and a toshiba 50 gb 16mb cache 7200rpm drive(from 40gb 2mb cache 4200), was/still is a great machine but its weak link is the 32 mb go5200.

As a first upgrade I will go ahead and order 2 gb of ddr2 667 for it in anticaption of its arrivial. Quick question, can someone clairfy the difference between pc2 5300 and pc2 5400, which both appear to be ddr2 667. Then throw some Artic Silver on the hs/processor. For those that have removed the hs how does the surface look, could it stand a lapping? Somewhere down the road purchase a couple of 7200rpm drives, then maybe a different processor when they start coming down in price.

Does anyone konw if this is a dual channel mb?

When oc'ing the gpu are the setting held or is it necessary to change them each time the machine is rebooted?

Will probably play with Vista for awhile but eventually I will wipe it and install XP Pro or XP media center on it.

Activation of Vista. Is the way Everex has initiated activation for Vista a normal procedure? Just seems a convulated way of activating.

If anybody finds a mini pcie card with wireless and bluetooth make sure to post.

Also lastly who appears to be the carrier for delivery, Officemax states that it has shipped but I cannot appear to find a tracking number.

Andy

As a first upgrade I will go ahead and order 2 gb of ddr2 667 for it in anticaption of its arrivial. Quick question, can someone clairfy the difference between pc2 5300 and pc2 5400, which both appear to be ddr2 667. Then throw some Artic Silver on the hs/processor. For those that have removed the hs how does the surface look, could it stand a lapping? Somewhere down the road purchase a couple of 7200rpm drives, then maybe a different processor when they start coming down in price.

Does anyone konw if this is a dual channel mb?

When oc'ing the gpu are the setting held or is it necessary to change them each time the machine is rebooted?

Will probably play with Vista for awhile but eventually I will wipe it and install XP Pro or XP media center on it.

Activation of Vista. Is the way Everex has initiated activation for Vista a normal procedure? Just seems a convulated way of activating.

If anybody finds a mini pcie card with wireless and bluetooth make sure to post.

Also lastly who appears to be the carrier for delivery, Officemax states that it has shipped but I cannot appear to find a tracking number.

Andy

I kinda wished I ordered DDR2-667 instead of that one GB of 533. Occassionally CoreTemp crashes and sometimes the laptop just shuts down, oddly only when CoreTemp is running I've also noticed. I'm hoping it's just a problem with CoreTemp 0.95, my MemTest passed. But I still don't like having two different brands of memory in the laptop. Especially since it is dual channel.

The heatsink is kinda ugly. It could use lapping for those of you that are into that. I didn't bother since I'd probably screw it up. I still haven't been convinced it would make a big difference.

OCing the GPU with Coolbit, it remembers the settings after reboot.

Vista activation isn't convoluted. Just download the activation.exe file from everex.com and run it. It's quick and easy.

Officemax shipped mine via UPS NDA. I had to call Officemax to get the tracking number. However it takes them a while to even get the tracking number. I called them the morning after it was shipped and they said the tracking number wasn't in their system yet. They suggested I call back at noon. I did and got the tracking number, but it was already delivered at my house.

OK, so I had the first problem with my laptop: I installed nTune and told it to find optimal clocks for GPU. Keep in mind it was only a test, I neder set any OCing on the GPU (standard 450/400). Halfway through it froze on me so I restarted the laptop. It started fine.... except it did not see the Atheros WiFi card. I restored the system to before nTune, still nothing. Deleted the WLan driver and tried to reinstall, the computer told me that there is no such hardware. I was ready to open the bottom and take the module out and strat without it and than do the same again with it inside, but I didn't have my small screwdrivers on me ! I kind of gave up, but started the laptop one more time and there it is, the wireless is magically working. Instead, it gave me a message that vid card driver failed to initialize, or something to this point. I hit resolve and it supposedly resolved. This morning I turned the computer on from sleep and it gave me some other error (host process error) and I had to do a repair on wireless to connect. What the hell is going on. It seems that nTune messed up my system, big time. Granted VISTA is a POS, but it was working rather steady before nTune ! Damn you Microsoft and nVidia !!!!
Any ideas, short of factory restore from DVD ???

I've had the wireless not initialize on boot up 3 or 4 times. Restarting the computer (not rebooting) fixed it each time.

The ON/OFF switch on the front turns on/off wireless so I think there might be some problem with that analog switch occationally perhaps.

T

Okay, I think I've discovered that some of my lockups and shutdowns are related to CoreTemp and not the laptop or memory. I found out others are having this problem too with CoreTemp and it seems like they are all AMD folks.

Things are now going much smoother since I stopped using CoreTemp. No further lockups, crashes or shutdowns.

I also discovered that the nTune overclock settings are not working after a reboot. Even though I go into nTune and it still shows my CPU as being overclocked, if I open up CPUZ it shows infact that it isn't. So that explains some of my screwy benchmarks. But the overclock does indeed work as long as you don't reboot or re-apply it after a reboot. Too much hassle though.

I was able to get to 1.9GHz. 2.0 was still a no go. I suspect because of the memory.

Think I understand the temps better now too. I was a bit worried about 86C yesterday. But I noticed that the highest fan setting doesn't even kick in until 80C. Even at 1.9GHz, I couldn't get it to go past 86C, so I'm guessing that is safe for this mobile processor. Apparently it doesn't throttle until 100C.

I'm more of a desktop user, so this is new ground for me. Excuse my noobishness. :)

I got my 3DMark06 numbers at to 2600. Think I'm pretty happy with this for a $700 laptop.

And if I just type a little slower, the keyboard is working out okay too (though it could be much better if it was normal).

Hey folks! Deal discoverer here (no srsly.)

PROBLEMS SOLVED:
  • Keyboard Enter doesn't work in games
Cause; Keyboard enter is NUMPAD ENTER. Use Sharpkeys from RandyRants.com to remap Numpad Enter (E0_1C) to Keyboard Enter (00_1C). This may be resolved in BIOS at a later date.​
  • Wireless sometimes does not initialize on boot.
The Broadcom card included with this laptop really is a complete pile of crap.​
You could go buy an Intel 3945ABG or 4xxxAGN MiniPCI Express card. The 3495ABG can be found for only $32 on Amazon.com. However, I cannot frigging get EITHER of my 3945ABGs to even show on the PCIe bus!​
Atheros AR5418-based Mini PCI-Express cards are known to work superbly with this system. I can't find them online though.​
  • Vista sucks, I want rid of it.
The recovery DVD is a full recovery DVD. Not a 'recover from hard disk' pile of crap. So go ahead and install XP. Normal ForceWare works for the chipset, but you'll need something like MobileForceXP for the GeForce Go 7600 as it's PCIe and the nVidia official drivers appear to only have the AGP PCIIDs.​

Problems Outstanding:
  • Don't know of a source for the HDD mounting brackets.
  • Extended battery IS AVAILABLE, waiting on source details from Everex forums.
  • Accessories and additional parts (e.g. bottom plastics, AC adaptor, etc) must be ordered from Everex by phone right now. You can reach them at 1-510-687-9261. They should be up on the website at everexstore.com sometime "soon."

Good Deal AreEss !
Thanks for info, I will wait untill I buy 7200 rpm drive to install XP on my laptop.
I have experienced the WiFi problems last night (see my posts above), so I think an upgrade will be comming real soon.
People seem to use secondary drive without the bracket, but I would not do it myself. Bit risky.
Battery would be good to opbtain as right now I am getting less than 2 hrs of time.
Thanks for posting the deal, many people, including myslef, are very happy with the buy.
DK

Good Deal AreEss !
Thanks for info, I will wait untill I buy 7200 rpm drive to install XP on my laptop.
I have experienced the WiFi problems last night (see my posts above), so I think an upgrade will be comming real soon.
People seem to use secondary drive without the bracket, but I would not do it myself. Bit risky.
Battery would be good to opbtain as right now I am getting less than 2 hrs of time.
Thanks for posting the deal, many people, including myslef, are very happy with the buy.
DK

It occurs to me; the bracket should be an orderable from Everex at the number I posted above. They may also have more information on the extended life batteries. Duh. :)

And any time; I'm glad I could share this awesome deal with folks. Best laptop I've had in ages. (Thankfully I have a GINORMOUS hardshell backpack designed for 17" beasts like this already, so, sorry. Not gonna go looking for backpacks.) ;)

I was looking at the bracket and the harddrive enclosures on this laptop. It does stink that they didn't include the extra bracket. But after I removed my Fujitsu harddrive, I realized how freakin' tight it seems to be in there even without the bracket.

That SATA connection holds the drive pretty well. And we have two foam/rubberish strips on the bottom and 2 more on the top which hold the drive snuggly.

I think it would work well without the bracket. The bracket would be some extra comfort, but I could probably stick a foam peanut or something at the end of the drive just to extra sure it doesn't slide out of it's SATA connection.

I was looking at the bracket and the harddrive enclosures on this laptop. It does stink that they didn't include the extra bracket. But after I removed my Fujitsu harddrive, I realized how freakin' tight it seems to be in there even without the bracket.

That SATA connection holds the drive pretty well. And we have two foam/rubberish strips on the bottom and 2 more on the top which hold the drive snuggly.

I think it would work well without the bracket. The bracket would be some extra comfort, but I could probably stick a foam peanut or something at the end of the drive just to extra sure it doesn't slide out of it's SATA connection.

wouldn't that make the foam peanut melt? i just think thats a bad idea :eek:

I've got XP SP2 with all updates, slimmed down via nLite of course, installed and running on this baby now. WAY faster than stock with Vista was, oh man am I lovin' this :D

AreEss said:
Thankfully I have a GINORMOUS hardshell backpack designed for 17" beasts like this already, so, sorry. Not gonna go looking for backpacks.
My Targus backpack got here today, fits the lappy very well and has TONS of space for extra stuff I use for music recording. I am very happy. I bought it from buy.com for $51 shipped (after Google checkout $10 rebate).
Now I need to upgrade the memory and HDD, another $250 dropped, but it will be state of the art, with dual drives and 2 gb of ram !!! Of course XP will go on the new drive !

So I was in the market for a laptop...and I missed this deal by ONE DAY.

But even at $899 I was tempted to give this thing a shot, I can't turn down the 17" and the 7600 card, came to about $962 and ordered a second gig of RAM from Newegg. I'm curious how I'm going to like this thing, hopefully it shows up tomorrow afternoon.

wouldn't that make the foam peanut melt? i just think thats a bad idea :eek:

I do this all the time with some of the older Dells I work on. If the harddrive gets hot enough to melt that, then you might have a bigger problem. :)

Anyway, I was just throwing that idea out in case ya'll can't get your brackets. After taking mine of and testing it, I think it shouldn't be much of a problem if it doesn't have it.

But to reiterate, it would still be best if you can get it and a shame it wasn't included. :)

So I was in the market for a laptop...and I missed this deal by ONE DAY.

But even at $899 I was tempted to give this thing a shot, I can't turn down the 17" and the 7600 card, came to about $962 and ordered a second gig of RAM from Newegg. I'm curious how I'm going to like this thing, hopefully it shows up tomorrow afternoon.

I brought my laptop into work and my co-workers are pissed off I didn't tell them about the deal. Haha. Honestly, I never heard of this company and I hate it when you mention a deal to someone, it turns out to suck and they blame you for it, so I played it safe.

I love it though. It does have a few quirks. The keyboard for one. Some people don't like the wireless adapter, but it works great for me. But when you look at everything you are getting for the price, it's hard to nitpick the little stuff too much. :)

Why did you pay the $899 price? I called up OM today and asked if I could get it at the $699 price, they did it and I got free shipping too. Got 2 of them for that price, 1523 total.

Can't wait to get this thing. Anybody want to sell me their A-Data sticks for cheap if you are upgrading to faster matched pairs?

edit: "see" should have been "sell"

Can't wait to get this thing. Anybody want to see me their A-Data sticks for cheap?

I had mine apart and forgot to get the A-DATA PN for the installed DIMM. Anyone perchance want to grab that for me real quick? I'm super-picky about dual channel configs, only do matched pairs.

Guys,
Woot I got lappy today unexpect, officemax are so poor keep up tracking number they couldnt get me one and said my lappy should arrived by this thursday, anyway, I did fire up baby and that thing right side venting where they blow out that really hot :rolleyes:

this is my first time try out Vista, I never had any beta, etc...what do i think about Vista ? too complex in Control Panel, turn off sidebar, etc...remove norton shi*, check task manager whoa...I see about over 50 processes VS mine Win XP Pro only 22 but tweak to 16 when i run games. man...i am going still play around with Vista for little while before i can messed around with my new lappy.

Thanks Everex for best deal of the one flaming week !, poor thing for sucker spend burns $$$ for same value what we are paying for half price, what a steal price of the history blow right out of water at all DELL, HP, TOSIHA, ACER wet their pants. :D

Phatbx133

I will be selling my stick, when I buy a new set from New Egg. PM me if you want it. i live in LA area.

Why did you pay the $899 price? I called up OM today and asked if I could get it at the $699 price, they did it and I got free shipping too. Got 2 of them for that price, 1523 total.

Can't wait to get this thing. Anybody want to sell me their A-Data sticks for cheap if you are upgrading to faster matched pairs?

edit: "see" should have been "sell"

I called them about it but was told I'm pretty much out of luck unless they run the deal again soon, lets hope.

I called them about it but was told I'm pretty much out of luck unless they run the deal again soon, lets hope.

Gotta sweet talk them man!

More or less I said "Hey, I couldn't get to a store before the deal ran out since they are pretty far away and I was away from my computer so I wasn't able to order. Would there be any possible way for you to match the price from last week? I saw these and thought they were great computers, I have shopped at OM for a long time..."

Although I did this on Monday and she asked her manager, who approved the match. Got an "extension" for the same lady, which didn't work, tried to call her back on Tuesday and was transferred to another CS. I gave her my sob story and told her what happened and she put it through no problem. By today it might be a bit too late, but you could always try different CS'.

anyone having ghosting problems? cuz i think i am...
also i installed xp and after like 15-20 min it bluescreens and restarts =/

anyone having ghosting problems? cuz i think i am...
also i installed xp and after like 15-20 min it bluescreens and restarts =/

check ram, or its something else. it is possible to get a bad lappy :(

Back