Possible [H]ot Deals: CompUSA store closings (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive gotten a few pretty good deals there. Im circuity city shopper for some reason. They just dont really fuck with me the way bestbuy or compusa would. I don't know how to describe it. you know when I have a return or I ask about pricing or even where something is most of the time they just make me feel like a criminal or Im breaking and entering. but comparatively speaking computer part wise compusa has had better deals for me. everything else is ridiculously expensive. I guarantee I could walk into my local compusa and they'd have the pc version of doom 3 or painkiller for like 30.00 its so weird. Like they just dont get it. meh Ill still miss them.

Liquidation begins Wednesday. Sunday's ad runs thru Tuesday. After store closes Tuesday night, out comes the Liquidation signs and down goes the CompUSA signs. They will honor ad all week though. Every store in chain has been taken over by Liquidation team on Saturday. Liquidation leader runs the show. Liquidation cycle goes thru end of Feburary. Same graduated Liquidation cycle pricing as the first round of closing (rather stupid not to blow it out quickly). Liquidation team says they were called upon in a hurry and thus it looks like the rumors of Carlos washing his hands of things last week is true after negotiations broke down, and he simply turned it over and takes the tax loss this year. Sounds like he gave up trying to cut a deal.

Liquidation begins Wednesday. Sunday's ad runs thru Tuesday. After store closes Tuesday night, out comes the Liquidation signs and down goes the CompUSA signs. They will honor ad all week though. Every store in chain has been taken over by Liquidation team on Saturday. Liquidation leader runs the show. Liquidation cycle goes thru end of Feburary. Same graduated Liquidation cycle pricing as the first round of closing (rather stupid not to blow it out quickly). Liquidation team says they were called upon in a hurry and thus it looks like the rumors of Carlos washing his hands of things last week is true after negotiations broke down, and he simply turned it over and takes the tax loss this year. Sounds like he gave up trying to cut a deal.

is the liquidation Starting Dec. 12th?

Can't say I didn't see this one coming. Compusa used to be a decent place when they were the only major retailer that focused on tech products. Once BB and CC started to gain traction as a reputable place to buy tech, Compusa started the downhill slide.

Looking back, I think their entire sales strategy is what did them in. I haven't looked at their Sunday ads in probably the last 5-6 years, just because everything they have on sale, is after MIR and not an instant discount like most other places. I don't mind rebates mind you, but they got to the point where if it wasn't a manufacturer rebate, they would make up their own rebate just so they could play the odds you wouldn't send it in. I still may check out their liquidation stuff, as they have now been selling TV's for the past few years and I may be able to score a good 50"+ fairly cheap.

I remember Computer City too. I miss them more than I'll ever miss Compusa. BTW, they were actually owned by the Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack).

is the liquidation Starting Dec. 12th?

Yeah, is this liquidation this week or is it the one that someone mentioned would be starting in January?
I really hope it doesnt start til January, as I have a few outstanding rebates with them and I hope they stay open for one more month so I get them all.
Otherwise, I think Visa will at least grant a chargeback on the amount for the rebates, hopefully.

Haha, the ironic thing is I was planning to go to CompUSA monday to get a HSF for a new build.
Probably my last purchase there.

The only reason I ever went was because I didn't wanna wait for neweggs slow ass 2 day shipping :) Yes, i'm that lazy and impatient.

Thanks for the information, but how do you know this for sure? Will the deals only get better the longer we hold out on them?

Here in Charlotte we still have 2 stores. The one I usually go to, even though I don't buy too much from them, never has anyone in it. The newer store down south is usually pretty busy. Oh well, Newegg will just get more of my biz.:cool:

CompUSA has always had regular inventory items for cosmic prices. They just cannot compete in todays markets, especially with the larger and less expensive online retailers (Newegg, ClubIT, mWave, etc).

I'm sure that even with the liquidation discounts, their prices will still be just as high (if not higher) than the prices or cheaper stores or online retailers.

meh they all closed, nearest one is 110 miles or something. No thanks.

80mi from me, 30mi from tha parents. IN the unlikely event they have any decent post xmas or newyears sales it might be worth going. Otherwise I don't think they'll be able to make up for the $20ish of gas it takes go go there.

I was in Melbourne FL. last spring when they closed the one down there. After 3 weeks the prices were still much higher than newegg. like others have said I bought a couple of rebate items that were very good deals and had no problem getting the rebates.

FYI, those warranties are widely regarded as a complete and total rip off. Just google it. best buy, CompUSA, CircuitCity, etc. They all rip you off when you buy it.

If you mean that they're over priced, I agree. However, if you mean they don't honor the warranties, I know that CC was jsut reselling a warranty from AIG. When I dropped my rio karma and broke the wheel 2 years ago, I sent it back and got a full refund....and then bought another Karma and warranty and had money left over :)

With that said, that's the only warranty I've bought that I knew I'd buy going in (karmas had 90 days and had a rep of going dying between day 91 and 365).

As a rule, I think if you never buy a warranty, you'll save more money than you make by buying them.

FYI, those warranties are widely regarded as a complete and total rip off. Just google it. best buy, CompUSA, CircuitCity, etc. They all rip you off when you buy it.

I would say it depends on what your getting it for. I bought a PS2 a few years ago for $229 at best buy and spent $20 on the replacement plan for it. 2 and a half years later it died, i went in to best buy and they gave me full credit for it and by then it had dropped in price to $179 so i was able to get a new slimline PS2 and a brand new game out of the deal. I would hardly call that a rip off.

Now the extended warranties are obviously not a good deal for everything but if your smart about it you can get your moneys worth and then some.

I would say it depends on what your getting it for. I bought a PS2 a few years ago for $229 at best buy and spent $20 on the replacement plan for it. 2 and a half years later it died, i went in to best buy and they gave me full credit for it and by then it had dropped in price to $179 so i was able to get a new slimline PS2 and a brand new game out of the deal. I would hardly call that a rip off.

Now the extended warranties are obviously not a good deal for everything but if your smart about it you can get your moneys worth and then some.

Couldnt agree more. I bought a $450 monitor from Office Max a few years ago with a $70 replace/repair plan, the mainboard broke twice on me (actually d/t the environment the monitor operated in, not faulty components) and OM warranty fixed it twice with no questions asked and it was done within 1 week both times.

Same with Mom's laptop, the touchpad died on it 1.5 years after purchase, Toshiba said no way but the Best Buy warranty had it fixed and back to us in 1 week. For expensive electronics I think you cant go wrong, especially if you're rough with your stuff.

was talking to a friend who works for CompUSA today, he said that TigerDirect are in talks to take them over. He also said that you have until wednesday to purchase something and be able to return it. The sales start after wednesday (this week), then there are no store returns.

Couldnt agree more. I bought a $450 monitor from Office Max a few years ago with a $70 replace/repair plan, the mainboard broke twice on me (actually d/t the environment the monitor operated in, not faulty components) and OM warranty fixed it twice with no questions asked and it was done within 1 week both times.

Same with Mom's laptop, the touchpad died on it 1.5 years after purchase, Toshiba said no way but the Best Buy warranty had it fixed and back to us in 1 week. For expensive electronics I think you cant go wrong, especially if you're rough with your stuff.

You were lucky. Over the long haul, you'll always save money buy passing on all extended warranties. Nobody sells insurance at a price where the average buyer makes money on the deal. And the insurance that retailers sell you has been marked up between 2-10x over what the insurance company sold it to them for. That ought to indicate to you how infrequently they have to payout.

dang. I guess I got lucky. I got an offer from compusa for purchases over $500 I get 24 months of no interest. Today I snagged a bfg 8800gt for $250, snagged Crysis, 2 gigs of Corsair DDR2 memory (80 bucks with an additional $30 rebate) 1600 MS points, ink for my printer and paper. $503 bucks. $20 bucks a month easy breezy.

You were lucky. Over the long haul, you'll always save money buy passing on all extended warranties. Nobody sells insurance at a price where the average buyer makes money on the deal.

That's not true, and you pointed out the reason in your post itself. For most insurance you're right excluding the really unlucky people (house fire, responsible for a crash that put someone in the ICU for an extended amount of time), but electronic warranty prices's aren't adjusted for risk. The person who drags his laptop all over campus in a $5 messenger bag pays exactly the same for accidental damage protection as the person whose laptop only leaves his desk once a quarter and uses a expensive heavily padded bag to transport it in. Since you're not priced for risk if you're a high risk user you can come out ahead overall. With laptops it's even more of a disparity, since again unlike car/home insurance, the coverage price is the same for a $500 barginbox and a $4000 ultraportable/ultimate gaming laptop.

You're completely right that the average person does lose on an extended waranty, but that doesn't mean there aren't some groups of customers who are likely to benefit.

will miss CUSA. my only experience with them, whatsoever, was buying a used 40GB iPod (for $230) off a user on these forums who had bought it from them, with included warranty. a year and a half later, I dropped the ipod and cracked the screen. Took it into the store, they gave me store credit for the original price ($500) and I picked up a 60GB photo and had money left over for another warranty. The CSRs were perfectly nice and transferring the warranty was a breeze.

via consumerist:
(http://consumerist.com/consumer/leaks/exclusive-compusas-tentative-liquidation-schedule-331895.php)

Already:
New product shipments have ceased, what's already shipping and in the warehouse is it.
TAP Warranties are run by Assurance and so they will probably all be valid

Monday/Tuesday:
General Managers get told what's going on:

Tuesday:
Last day to check in your computer for repairs.
Tuesday is the last day for returns.
Employee discount ends.

Wednesday:
10% off sales start
Repairs get shipped to Blue Raven
All sales final and if a return is accepted, it will be on a case by case basis

When they closed the store in KC earlier this year the deals totally sucked.

To those who are lamenting the loss of CompUSA in your town maybe you'll be lucky enough to get a replacement. I know that once Microcenter opened in KC I hardly ever stepped foot in CompUSA. In my book if you can't get to a Fry's then Microcenter is at least a half way decent substitute especially since they started matching on-line sites for CPU pricing.

I tried the store locator and they were all in other states / 100+ miles away.

The only one I knew of was near King of Prussia, 50+ miles from the Lehigh Valley.

Hopefully there will be some online deals, prices would have to be ridiculous for me to drive that far.

I asked someone I know who works there and he said the liquidation starts wednesday. I work 1-10p (at a nearby hardware store) so I'll check in before I start to see if there's any good deals. I'm going to keep my eye on cases, software, printers, and networking hardware.

I'm predicting this will be a great opportunity for those who dumpster dive. I would assume the company coming in will trash supplies they don't want (computers, desks, etc) and probably any open items. I will report back any findings.

Purely for entertainment purposes, I decided to check out the "About Us" section of compusa.com. Enjoy! :D

CompUSA said:
CompUSA is one of the nation's leading retailers and resellers of technology products and services. CompUSA helps customers unleash the power of technology through a unique blend of products and highly knowledgeable sales staff as well as technology support and service.

Founded in 1984 and based in Dallas, Texas, CompUSA currently operates 103 stores in major metropolitan markets across the United States and Puerto Rico. CompUSA serves consumer retail, small-to-medium businesses, corporate, government and education customers.

CompUSA's retail Web site offers an assortment of over 19,000 products and the ability to schedule technology services and training sessions. Businesses may order from a catalog containing more than 220,000 products as well as select from over 100,000 online products.

The CompUSA Difference
With computer hardware and software, home electronics and tech services to training, e-commerce, business consulting and more, CompUSA focuses on offering the right solutions for its customers.

Wide Range of Products and Knowledgeable Sales Staff
CompUSA’s expert sales staff helps businesses and consumers choose the right technology then shows them how to maximize their productivity. CompUSA customers can leave stores with everything they need to make their technology work.

Guaranteed, Reliable Technology Service
With a nationwide network of CompUSA TechPros, we provide excellent installation, upgrade and repair service in the store or at a customer’s home or office. Package pricing eliminates the guesswork that comes with hourly rates and next-day appointments both mean customers can rely on CompUSA to be there when they need help, not days later.

Commitment to Business
Whether operating out of home offices or in larger settings, small businesses know the right technology at the right price plus comprehensive service is critical to their success and that’s exactly what CompUSA provides.

CompUSA offers trained business representatives in 81 stores and a huge selection of technology products available in-store, online or through a catalog, along with more than 23,000 office supply products.

And still more . . .
The CompUSA difference includes superior service plans for warranted products. Plus, in-store or online, it’s easy for CompUSA customers to check pricing and availability or research products.

Online, the advantages grow: free shipping on purchases of $150 or more, a world-class search engine, and the ability to reserve products online and pick them up at the nearest CompUSA store within 15 minutes.
That said, may CU RIP. :(

I tried the store locator and they were all in other states / 100+ miles away.

The only one I knew of was near King of Prussia, 50+ miles from the Lehigh Valley.

Hopefully there will be some online deals, prices would have to be ridiculous for me to drive that far.

you near philly?

i dont think they'll have good deals until much later, but by then most of the items would've been gone, if it's anything like the first round of closeouts. well, good luck to those who participates in the closeout.

Is there still no word on rebates and purchased warranties?

Rebates should arrive if they have already been processed. Otherwise, new rebates will be deducted upon checkout at the cashier. Warranties go through a 3rd party so that doesn't matter on CompUSA's closing.

Thanks for the info! So, if my monitor dies, where would I redeem my warranty?

Damn, 8800 GT is a no go. :(
Yea, that was my first action as well, although I wasn't terribly hopeful given that they've had the BFG 8800GT OC listed for 250$ and OOS for weeks on end.

Something about being liquidated doesn't equate to putting in fresh orders in my mind.

Yea, that was my first action as well, although I wasn't terribly hopeful given that they've had the BFG 8800GT OC listed for 250$ and OOS for weeks on end.

Something about being liquidated doesn't equate to putting in fresh orders in my mind.
Actually, they had them in stock for $300 the better part of last week. I was going to Price Match to BBY's $280. I'm going tomorrow, getting $200 store credit on a video card TAP while I still can.

I have a CompUSA about 15-20 minutes away so I'll be heading out there Wednesday to check out the prices and to see if there are any good deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back