1024mb Crucial Value testing

hmm and i thought having my cpu at 2.7 ghz and ram running at 200 mhz with timing of 2.5 - 3- 3- 8 was good

I might have to change them to 3-3-3-8 and go for 250 mhz whtcha think eclipse :)

heliotrope said:
Eclipse, do you actively cool the RAM in your computer?
i have a little pci slot blower that sits there and blows air over the ram. i just took off the metal mounting bracket, it works pretty well.. though if you don't go over 2.8v, you probably won't need active cooling. i do in my case cause there's next to no airflow in the cpu area due to there being a waterblock and not a hsf.

Unknown-One said:
That must have looked realy stupid :eek: I posted the wrong link! it should have been:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146545
I fixed my first post, now, is THAT the same ram for about $12 less?
hehe, yeah.. that's the stuff, though it's still linked in the first paragraph of the first post ;) :D

Brando457 said:
hmm and i thought having my cpu at 2.7 ghz and ram running at 200 mhz with timing of 2.5 - 3- 3- 8 was good

I might have to change them to 3-3-3-8 and go for 250 mhz whtcha think eclipse
hehe, might as well see how it does. technically your ram should do better than mine, as it's the same chips, but single sided.. single sided dimms almost always overclock better.

and thanks =lks= ka druma, chix4mat (he wrote the review) and i had a lot of fun getting that ballistix overclocked. he asked if i could be mentioned in the review for the advice on the stuff, and i said sure. that definitly made my day :D

oh, my bad, i thought you were the one who got the single sided 512mb stick :eek:

if that's the case.. you should definitly be able to get 2.5-2-2 to decent speeds :p

Great thread Eclipse. Wondering if you think that 2 of these sticks in dual channel will be able to achieve the same type results?

thanks, and most likely.. at these speed ranges, it's almost always ram limitation, not memory controller :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
thanks, and most likely.. at these speed ranges, it's almost always ram limitation, not memory controller :p

just curious. would there be any problem running 4 1gb sticks such as these on the revision e amd 64 such as the athlon 64 x2 4800+?

same problem as 4x512mb.. you'll need to drop to 2T

ontop of this, windows XP will only see ~3.5gb :(
though you can use xp-64 to fix this.. :p

ok good to know. also is this the best 1024MB stick of ram money can buy as far as overclocking goes?

The Ballistix version of the stick this thread is about should get even better results.

yup, i'm sure baron will be thoughful enough to make up a thread when he gets his in ;)

the 1gb ballistix uses the same 5b D chips if i'm not mistaken, just a higher bin, so they should perform much better than this value stick i have :D

Anyone else had good results with this value ram from newegg?

I'm thinking about buying two. :D

nevermind....out of stock. :(

I just bought 2 1GIG sticks on MWave since Eclipse had so much luck. They were only 98 bucks a piece I think! Hopefully I'll get some preliminary results Saturday night... but thats the day my parts are coming so I have a ton to do b4 playing with the ram. Haven't picked out a damn case yet so I'll be running in the nude.

Hopefully get parts at 3pm-ish... get BIOS configured by 4:30ish, OS installed by 6ish, get some OC results on proc with retail HSF... and then get to the ram! Stay tuned :D

i'll be waiting to hear your results N64 - as I am looking to upgrade to 2 1gb sticks and if there is a good chance I could have my ram at 1:1 @ 240mhz cas3 - I think i'd be quite happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong Eclipse... but doesn't dividers mean so little you shouldn't look at them at all and focus more on getting tight timings and such instead?

Well seanmcd, my question may be delayed a day b/c I've got damn work Saturday night. We'll just have to all hope that Fedex comes early in the day so I can get some testing done before I'm off to deliver pizzas @ 5pm

n64man120 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Eclipse... but doesn't dividers mean so little you shouldn't look at them at all and focus more on getting tight timings and such instead?
yup, though 250mhz at 3-3-3 is roughly the same latency as 203mhz at 2.5-2-2.. and a lot more bandwidth

i too am looking forward to how you do.. hopefully i'm not just really lucky :p

I just ordered two sticks of the Crucial Value a little while ago. I'll see how well they overclock in dual channel mode on my DFI NF4 Ultra-D.

burningrave101 said:
I just ordered two sticks of the Crucial Value a little while ago. I'll see how well they overclock in dual channel mode on my DFI NF4 Ultra-D.
i'll be looking forward to it. also, don't forget to post your results in my 1gb oc'ing thead.. enjoy made one over at XS too :D

I also am waiting on 2 of these Value- dimms from the egg, After being alerted by an AT member.
I will be using them in a nf 3 Ultra-D and shall report back for any one interested.

I'm going to post my information here as well, for anyone browsing and considering these sticks...

I've got 2x1GB sticks of Crucial Value. One managed 255Mhz at 3-3-3-8 and 2.8V while the other pulled 250Mhz at 3.0V. Combined I got them to 238Mhz at 3-4-3-8. My best timings were 2-2-2-6 @ 170Mhz and 2.5-3-2-8 at 200Mhz. I'll post some screenies later.

Comment: The voltages on the sticks were incredibly odd. Untill the very top of the overclock, both sticks refused to take anything but the stock 2.6V. At the end they sucked up the little extra juice to get to their max. Even more interesting, when both sticks were running together, at no point did adding more voltage beyond stock help them, it only caused more instability. There's 2 80mm fans directly on the sticks as well, and there running without a case, so heat is not the issue.

Do you Crucial Value 1gb-stick-owners think that they would be overclockable much without the cooling of a fan blowing directly on them?

I've got a Shuttle system, and it wouldn't really want to mount jury-rig a fan in there for my RAM if I can help it.

Well, mine don't like anything but stock voltages. So you shouldn't have a problem.

heliotrope said:
Do you Crucial Value 1gb-stick-owners think that they would be overclockable much without the cooling of a fan blowing directly on them?

I've got a Shuttle system, and it wouldn't really want to mount jury-rig a fan in there for my RAM if I can help it.
yeah, it should be fine. i did some testing before without a fan and only really lost ~5mhz from top speed.. didn't do extensive testing so i'm not 100% on it

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, it should be fine. i did some testing before without a fan and only really lost ~5mhz from top speed.. didn't do extensive testing so i'm not 100% on it

You should buy another stick so that you'll have 2GB of RAM like the rest of us and so you can do more testing :p.

burningrave101 said:
You should buy another stick so that you'll have 2GB of RAM like the rest of us and so you can do more testing :p.
there's a lot of things i should get.. another stick of this, an FX-57, a 7800gtx, a sata dvd burner, ect ect :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
there's a lot of things i should get.. another stick of this, an FX-57, a 7800gtx, a sata dvd burner, ect ect :p

Bah, you just need another 1024MB stick of Crucial Value RAM, not all that other junk :p.

BTW, my two sticks came from Newegg today so i'm going to test them out a little tonight and i'll report in on how they do.

Swishbish33 said:
Good luck burning, looking forward to your results.

I havn't done extensive testing yet because i wanted to get back online but i'm currently running the two sticks in dual channel at 240Mhz 3-3-3-8 1T with 2.7V. I ran a few passes of Memtest test #5 and #8 and didn't get any errors. I'm running Prime95 now. If it holds up i'll try for 250Mhz here in a little bit. Once i hit 250Mhz i'll leave it there till i'm able to run Memtest default tests for 8-10 hours tommorrow.

burningrave101 said:
Bah, you just need another 1024MB stick of Crucial Value RAM, not all that other junk :p.

BTW, my two sticks came from Newegg today so i'm going to test them out a little tonight and i'll report in on how they do.

i'm confused, he has two sticks... does he not?

Eclipse, all the 250 screenies and such I seen about (I post mostly on XS), I missed it was just 1 stick the whole time?

edit: nvm, guess I did miss that. Oh well, I just been trying to determine how lucky the results are. 2 sticks doing it slightly more comforting for those about to take the plunge.

I'm still in the process of tweaking and trying to find the best settings but i'm running 250Mhz 3-3-3-8 1T dual channel right now and i'm able to past Memtest test #5 without errors. I'm sorta scared to try test #8 again cause i've been having a hard time passing it at this speed. I'm trying the 704-3 DFI BIOS now and i'm trying to find the ideal tREF and drive strength values to use because i've just been leaving them to AUTO since A64Tweaker screenshots dont really show the chosen values so i dont know what others are using yet.

And one thing i would like to comment on about these chips on the Value sticks is that they do not like voltage at all. I tried 2.9V and i just got thousands of errors. I have my best luck with 2.6-2.7V.

burningrave101 said:
I have my best luck with 2.6-2.7V.
Oh good, now I dont feel so bad about my board being locked at 2.6v vRAM :p

In other news, my 1GB stick showed up yesterday!!! I've been bumping the FSB 2MHz at a time and I currently am at 2.32GHz (RAM running at DDR 464).

I'm about to reboot and give it another bump, wish me luck! :D (I'll post my final overclock in the other thread when I'm done)

burningrave101 said:
And one thing i would like to comment on about these chips on the Value sticks is that they do not like voltage at all. I tried 2.9V and i just got thousands of errors. I have my best luck with 2.6-2.7V.
that's what happened to me at first.. mine liked a bit more at first, 2.8v.. i used it for a couple of days and tried again, 3.1v definitly got me somewhere :p

Back