1024mb Crucial Value testing

(cf)Eclipse said:
that's what happened to me at first.. mine liked a bit more at first, 2.8v.. i used it for a couple of days and tried again, 3.1v definitly got me somewhere :p

What tREF, drive strength and data drive strength values are you using Eclipse?

4706 (the second to last one in the list)
dram drive strength = 3

no data drive, the dfi nf3 doesn't have the option

My stick toped out at 236MHz (DDR 472) at 2.6v
I'm no expert, but thats pretty good by my standards :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
timings and mobo? :D
When it comes to timings, I have almost no idea what I'm doing, so I leaft them at stock because I'm not sure what the best way to tweek them is :p

mobo.jpg

mem.jpg

yes, robberbaron has two sticks of 1024mb ballistix that will do 2-2-2 up to 215mhz

is anyone else testing this memory. I would like to see some more results and see some more results in the 1024mb ram overclocking database. This looks like its some great memory, but im iffy because i want to be able to hit 250mhz stable. maybe i should just buy some ballistix

why do you want 250mhz? ram overclocking is more of a luxury than anything else, it doesn't do much in the way for real world performance, and if you want to bench, you're better off with 2x256mb ;)

250mhz with a 12x cpu multiplier can go up to 3.0ghz with a 1:1 (or 1:5 as youve put it before in my previous thread )memory divider. This is just a prefrered setup that i would like. Am I wrong for wanting to keep this ratio?

(cf)Eclipse said:
you can... do 3ghz? :eek:

logically by math, i know its VERY VERY improbable. but with a 250mhz fsb i belive that you would have the most control of your overclock without sacraficing memory bandwidth. Correct me if im wrong.

well actually, if you had 250mhz ram and a 3ghz cpu, it would be 1:12 ;)

but.. well, the only thing that's likely to hit 3ghz is an FX, at which point you can do 250x12, 231x13, 214x14.. and 200x15 :D

if not, just use a ram divider. memory bandwidth doesn't effect performance too much, as has been proven a million and a half times :cool:

So I am hearing that the .16T Crucials are gone at the Egg? Glad I got my 2 sticks of it :) Thanks for the advice Eclipse :D Looks like the price is up to almost 110 a stick to boot :confused:

I bought a pair of these exclusively on Eclipses word. Replacing a pair of beloved 512mb Corsair. I cant be positive its the ram or the lower bios revision I switched to but the chips are running at 225mhz on a divider of 166. So HTT of 270 multi 9x. Which seems to be the max stable for this venice 3200 and Neo4 Plat.

I've only gotten to 215mhz in dual channel mode (2x1024) at 3-3-3-8 without any errors in memtest #5. I'll keep trying though.

My module is the same as the one in Eclipse's post except mine has 1-1 along the chips... Is this a good thing or bad thing? (Excuse my ignorace. ;) )

It looks like everyone is getting this ram for a64 systems. I am going to be getting a nf7-s and want to get 2gb of ram for it. Would this still be the best memory to get? I will be overclocking.

KingFalcon said:
My module is the same as the one in Eclipse's post except mine has 1-1 along the chips... Is this a good thing or bad thing? (Excuse my ignorace. ;) )
not sure. my ballistix that uses micron 5b G has 1-2. how do your sticks oc?

postal: the best would be ballistix. this is a better value though :p

Thanks Eclipse. I've currently got 1gb (512x2) of mushkin lvl 1 ram but it doesn't seem to overclock very well. Could be this motherboard too.

postalcop said:
It looks like everyone is getting this ram for a64 systems. I am going to be getting a nf7-s and want to get 2gb of ram for it. Would this still be the best memory to get? I will be overclocking.

I'd be careful with your expectations...I had a bad experience trying to run 2-2-2 on my A7N8X. I never once had a corrupted XP install until the day I plugged in Ballistix into my system. Now, I no way am I blaming Crucial for this (their PC2700 gave me 192Mhz back in the day), but I'm not entirely sure it behaves as well on Socket A.

postalcop said:
Thanks Eclipse. I've currently got 1gb (512x2) of mushkin lvl 1 ram but it doesn't seem to overclock very well. Could be this motherboard too.
mmm, that stuff is bh-5 isn't it? :p

Mav451 said:
I'm not entirely sure it behaves as well on Socket A.
my ballistix.. was so-so on my a7n8x, mobo limited at 230mhz with 2.5-2-2. made me sad that i couldn't really get any more.

What does bh-5 mean? Is that bad? Sorry Eclipse, I don't know that much about memory. I have figured out how to change the timings. I also went by the philosophy that the more expensive it is, the faster it is. :D

Well I decided to jump in for 2 today. My system won't be up for a while but I'll let you guys know what my chips look like if anyone's interested.

postalcop said:
What does bh-5 mean? Is that bad? Sorry Eclipse, I don't know that much about memory. I have figured out how to change the timings. I also went by the philosophy that the more expensive it is, the faster it is. :D

BH-5 is a Winbond memory chip. Low latency...high voltage... high speeds. Good chips but they only go up to 512mb sticks.

(cf)Eclipse said:
not sure. my ballistix that uses micron 5b G has 1-2. how do your sticks oc?

postal: the best would be ballistix. this is a better value though :p
I got my stick up to 240mhz 3-3-3-8 memtest test#5 stable. Right now I'm running it at 223 3-3-3-8 on a 5/6 divider.

Yes, yes it is. I had 2x512 Mushkin PC3500 LvL2. Probably the best ram I ever had.

I just got the new stuff with the bga chips.

A8N-SLI Deluxe

2x 232 (464mhz)

at 3-3-3-3 1T

Looks good.

(cf)Eclipse said:
how much voltage falcon? that's respectable for 2 sticks :D
have you tried 3-4-3?

I did that with one stick on stock voltage. I haven't really messed with the timings because I figure any change would yield minimum gains vs the headaches that could follow. Right now my system is running like a champ at 2680mhz with the ram on a 5/6 divider at 223 mhz.

Back